main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Admiral Raddus Discussion Thread (and Fan Club)

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gigoran Monk, Dec 18, 2016.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Ackbar saw the trap. Raddus was the trap.

DL44Jo, Sarge and vncredleader like this.
  2. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Raddus is so OP his Nerfs turned into Buffs.

3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Raddus just signed in for this forum and in his first post became a Chosen One.

4. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    When Raddus blinks at a Weeping Angel, it's the Weeping Angel that gets sent back in time.

When Raddus looks away from the Silence, it's the Silence that forgets about the awesomeness and presence of Raddus.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The real reason Daleks seek to exterminate all life is cause no other being can be as great as Raddus.

PCCViking likes this.
  6. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Is anybody else wondering why this site isn't boards.raddus.net yet? Then again, maybe not. It wouldn't be able to handle the Admiral's might.

DL44Jo, Ricardo Funes, Blue 5 and 2 others like this.
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    The site would keep crashing due to all the epicenes in it!

Blue 5, vncredleader and PCCViking like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Raddus can alter time and speed up the harvest. And he can teleport off this rock.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's because he is both the bright center to the universe and also the planet it is furthest from.

10. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Admiral Raddus uses 'Unstoppable Force' and 'Immovable Object' as yoyos.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Thor and Hulk arm wrestled. Raddus was the winner.

12. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Raddus proves to the Borg that resistance is not futile. They believe him.

Gigoran Monk, Blue 5 and vncredleader like this.
  13. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait Raddus is the Sisko?

14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Raddus surrounds us and penetrates us; he binds the galaxy together.

11-4D, DL44Jo, BenYodaDagobah and 4 others like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Raddus is the bright center of the universe.

16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Luke: I don't believe it.
    Yoda: That is why you are not Raddus.

DL44Jo, vncredleader, Blue 5 and 4 others like this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Legends Luke nearly has an aneurysm using the Force to stop a Star Destroyer. Canon Raddus has an idea and stares at 2 Star Destroyers and they smash into each other and take out the Imperial database's planet-sized security system with them.

18. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    =D= Sig updated yet again.

19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Not in this case. The problem is that JJ didn't do anything interesting with Oscar (my favorite actor in the whole saga) for the finale. To the point that a wacky Mon Cal is actually much, much more interesting than Poe is in their equivalent sequences. I mean, come on. You simply can't favorably compare Poe's whooping with Raddus' light-bulb moment, followed by the hammerhead scene.

Well, you can try, but you will fail.

Who's with me!!!???? [​IMG]

BenYodaDagobah and vncredleader like this.
  20. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Raddus was a character that popped up out of the blue in the last minute. RO kept asking me to care, and I tried, but failed. All technical expertise doesn't matter if you don't have my emotional investment. On the other hand, at least I cared about watching Poe, having followed him over the course of three or four scenes interacting with the heroes and getting who he basically was and why he was worth rooting for.

I can forgive obvious attempts to make a foregone outcome uncertain (quick inter-cutting = tensions!) and a familiar "lower the shield so a Mon Cal can save the day" battle that was better done in ROTJ. I can't forgive it if I don't care about the avatars suddenly shoved in front of me.

Also, Raddus's plan shouldn't have worked. A planet-wide shield you can take down by simply bashing against the front gate is a poor shield.

BenYodaDagobah and Gigoran Monk like this.
  21. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I am. FOR RADDUSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    C'mon. Poe was just as much of an avatar as Raddus was. All we got from Poe is that he was a good guy and an action-oriented warrior. Great. Isaac gave it punch, despite the thin material he was working with (though I expect Rian to give him a great role). We got the same thing from Raddus. He was a good guy and an action-oriented warrior, and he cared for the bravery of the Rogue One crew. And he wasn't even a primary character. Not even a human being. Impressive accomplishment. Also, he didn't pop up last minute. He arrived at the beginning of Act 3 at Yavin IV, and got on Jyn's side early on.The set up was strong with him (though if you've only seen the film once, I can imagine why you might forget that).

Raddus dominates Poe, hands down.

Also, Ackbar doesn't even compare. I love that guy, but I'm afraid he would barely qualify as Raddus's intern, were he present at Scarif.

So, yeah. Raddus wins. No question. You're wrong, I'm right. Case closed.

23. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I accept their similarities, as I said. And I do recall when Raddus showed up, my friend.

What elevates side characters is how they connect with and relate to the main heroes. You may personally feel Raddus wins on that ground, but I, and I'll wager most fans, would give that to Poe. Jyn and Raddus's brief interaction doesn't hold a candle to Poe and Finn's scenes and chemistry. It's Poe's moments with the main lead(s) that make him shine out of the pack.

24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I concede that Poe was connected to the main heroes moreso than Raddus. Particularly Finn. But you can't just rely on that connection. You've gotta breathe some life into the character. And after Jakku, I feel that JJ really let us down with Poe. Great set up, poor landing. He was far too bland during the SKB attack. Wasn't given much personality, or much to do that was memorable. That's fine, as the story's focused on Rey/Finn/Kylo/Han, but it still makes him a tad forgettable.

Raddus also has that element of Lucas/McQuarrie wackiness that I feel TFA generally ironed out for a mainstream genre audience. TFA gave us a vanilla Star Wars album, with the greatest hits (cool, fine, all good songs). While Rogue One gave us the underappreciated B-sides.

Raddus is one of those B-sides. And a great one, at that.

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  25. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Eh, I felt Poe was consistently good for who he was, an enthusiastic hotshot pilot who loves the thrill of battle.

I genuinely don't follow what makes Raddus so "wacky." He's a Ackbar echo in darker clothes. Which is kind of RO in a nutshell. And I'm more than a little tired of the saw that those who prefer anything about TFA to RO prefer not to be challenged or want to have everything smoothed out. It's a hard sell for me, in part because there's nothing so controversial about RO as Kylo Ren. Jyn seemed almost tailor-made to not threaten the fragile masculinity of male viewers in the way Rey did.

BenYodaDagobah and Gigoran Monk like this.