main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AdmiralNick22's Legacy Comic Prediction- An Unlikely Alliance of Forces (Legacy Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Yeah,

I think that there will be a Grand Alliance against the Sith. But this time the GA needs to have the better ships. The Sith should have a technological disadvantage to make up for their Force advantage.

2. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I had a weird thought:

Re-reading through Rebel Stand, on Coruscant there is that well of Force energy that Lord Nyax accessed right? Is that still there or is it gone?

If it is still there, then the Sith could exploit that big time for their experiments.

3. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I dunno. The GA not too long ago got the smack laid down on them by the Sith-Imperial alliance. Unless they've got some hidden shipyards (or Dac and Sullust are as unassailable as Bastion) they should be in "Rebel Alliance Mode" as someone put it, and be about as technologically advanced as most Guerillas.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, the Galactic Alliance has the Scythe-class battle cruisers, CF9 Crossfire starfighters, and other support vessels. I have a feeling that the GA in the Legacy-era has hidden fleets roving the galaxy, like the old Rebel Alliance. I do, however, like the idea of a few key worlds being "fortress" worlds. Mon Cal is always a good bet, given its long standing support, remote location, and massive shipyards.

--Adm. Nick

5. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    I can't imagine Dac to be as defendable as Bastion due to a lack of land. Unless they had buoyed Anti-Capship turrets and Planetary Shield generators submerged below miles of protective ocean, Dac just doesn't have enough land to put a significant sub-atmospheric base together.

I'd like to see a GACF HQ akin to what a fully functional, fully occupied Nespis VII Space Ctiy might look like. Just a big ol' space station hiding amid nebulae and asteroid fields and being basically unassailable. Maybe not their main base, but it'd definitely be cool to see.

6. KNJO

KNJO Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2004
    I would love to see another Nespis like space station being utilized by the GA. That space station was one of my favorite locations in the DE trilogy, and it was mentioned that Nespis was one of the oldest and biggest of the remote space cities. So there are still others out there in the void, maybe as ancient as the Old Republic itself, waiting to be found again.

In regards of Dac's defenses though, I think that Dac could be one of the greatest fortress worlds of them all, because of the fact that it is a ocean planet. In the NJO we saw planets suffer horrible ecological damage because of planetary bombardment from Vong capital ships with all the particulate matter being spewed into the air from the impacts. Ex: Obroa-Skai. With a water planet with islands and few land masses that type of damage is limited, and the islands can be heavily fortified, turning them into death traps for any advancing army.

We however are missing a key fact in Dacs' defense: we are thinking like land creatures on a water world. The Mon Cals must have legions of specialized surface/submirsible vehicles and *land*-to-space weaponry and planetary shields that do not need solid land to work on. Then there is the defenses of the floating cities, they can take on just about anything one can throw at them. Only the world devestators and Daala's suprise (key word suprise) attacks did the cities any lasting damage, and I would bet that they have significantly improved the cities defenses in 100 years. Also the inhabitants can hide in the deep oceans indefinately so long as the shields can be defended, and if they can make starships that can operate under the oceans and lift off in an atmosphere any seige would be difficult cause new capitol ships and fighters can rise in nearly any direction off the planets surface.

In terms of being a fortress world Dac can be one of the greatest cause it can have every type of defense: ground defenses for the few pieces of land dotting the surface, and the oceanic defenses that the Mon Cals and Quarren have had for millennia. I think that Sullust would be the only other world that could rival Mon Cal in terms of its unique defenses and the potential hostility of the terrain towards the Imperial forces.

Edit: I forgot to factor in pollution from bombarment into the oceans, but if large numbers (schools) of sea-going craft can be made to filter out any pollutents then any debris in the water may only be a short term problem.

7. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    I almost douobt that would be an issue, now that I think about it. If they got through these shields you speak of, they would probably try to bombard them from orbit using turbolasers, so the biggest issue would be massive ammounts of water evaporating near instantaneously (oh and greenhouse gases)

As for Sullust, I would imagine a volcanic planet would not be the most tectonically stable, meaning that concentrated bombing could have a devastating ripple effect accross the whole planet. Planetwide earthquakes, new faults, and unexpected eruptions could all result from too many impacts on the surface.

I would propse some sort of mobile base. Space station with engines, so to speak. It would be much easier and quicker to evacuate the whole base from a system than to load up cargo ships from whatever hole you've dug your rebellion into and fly through a gauntlet of PSDs. The downside, of course, is one Interdictor and your whole operation is karked.

8. KNJO

KNJO Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2004
    Good point about evaportation, I completely forgot about that factor. One way to counter that is to produce a lot of reflective dust in the atmosphere (non-toxic and bio-degradable of course) to reduce the amount of sunlight. But the problem to that is if the shields are down then any craft trying to stabalize the atmosphere are targets themselves. Still though with a ocean world it would be hardier than more land covered worlds, and more difficult to invade.

Bombardment from orbit can cause Sullist/quakes, but I would think that since the planet is naturally very geologically active that the Sullistans must have developed strong defenses against them. Though new fault lines and fissures can rip those cities apart.

Your point about a mobile base is strategically a valid one. In modern combat nearly everything is mobile or must be mobile in some form and adaptable, the age of static defenses and offenses has been over for quite some time now and I would imagine that in space the modern mobile strategy would be taken to the 9th degree. If you have played the Homeworld games as I have, it shows you that always on the move strategy to its fullest with the most advanced technology that we can plausibly theorize about.

Still though I would want fortress worlds, they are meant to be refuges', bastions of power and temporary safety that can offer aid and supplies to you forces. So while I agree that your main and front line bases most be mobile, I would want Sullust and Dac as my fortress worlds rather than Bastion as they offer unique challenges in order to fully subdue them, and heavy concentrations of defenses would make even Krayt think twice about trying to destroy them.

9. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Plus, fortress worlds have that certain Cool Factor that an immense mobile base would not, although it's certainly possible to have a crummy fortress world and a sweet fortress ship.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It seems to have dispersed at its release.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So, Legacy #9 and #10 promise to show us the efforts of a Alliance/Fel loyalist coalition against the Sith. :D

(Note I use coalition because Alliance/Empire alliance just sounds wrong. :p )

I am curious to see how connected the Jedi Order still is the GA in the post Sith-Imperial War years.

--Adm. Nick

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I agree here.

Personally, I think the GACF is comparable to the Dark Empire Rebel Alliance - armed to the teeth - rather than the First Galactic Empire Rebel Alliance, which is significantly underarmed.

I doubt Mon Cal will be on par with Bastion, though. The fortress world aspect seems to have been shattered as of the Battle of Mon Calamari during the Dark Empire's reign, though the Galactic Alliance could have reinstituted it most certainly.

In comparable terms, Mon Cal could easily be equal to an Imperial fortress world at its height, but Bastion would be something special to be the Empire's Capital....

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The DE model is actually pretty smart in terms of longterm survival- withdraw from worlds, preserving your fleets and sparing aforementioned worlds from harsh attack. For all intents and purposes, it worked quite well for the NR during Operation Shadowhand. Most of the Core was spared from fighting, while Ackbar kept his fleet's intact.

I would love to see the Galactic Alliance in the Legacy-era doing just that. Staying hidden, building up their strength, and waiting for the optimum time to attack.

In regards to Mon Calamari, I agree that even if it posesses heavy defenses it would still pale in comparison to Bastion. The seat of the Imperial gov't would undoubtedly boast major defenses, especially in the years following the pasting Bastion took during the Vong war. I am a bit curious, however, to the size and power of Fel's loyalist navy. Besides that lone Pellaeon-class, we hear more of troops joining him than warships. I still think that Grand Admiral Veed has most of the Imperial navy in his pocket.

Hence why a coalition with the GA military benefits Fel. He gains access to whatever fleet forces they have left.

--Adm. Nick

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Bumping due to release of Legacy #8 and the upcoming #9- #10 arc.

So, now we know a bit more about the Sith-Imperial War, Emperor Roan Fel's knowledge of the aformentioned, the defeat of the Galactic Alliance, and the damned hard prospect of a alliance against the Sith between the GA/Jedi forces and Fel's loyalists.

First off, Legacy #7 has it pretty clear that some key Jedi Knights, like Wolf Sazen and Shado Vao, cannot imagine working with Fel "after Ossus".

Methinks that the GA's line will be "after Caamas" or "after the Sith-Imperial War".

Seriously, it will take some impressive work on Roan Fel's part to convince the remnants of the Galactic Alliance and the scattered remains of the Jedi Order to join him in opposing the Sith. As far as the GA/Jedi are concerned, it could be yet another betrayal or trap.

I am hoping that #9 gives us insight into the following things:

1. Galactic Alliance Core Forces: GA military remnants akin to the Rebellion or GA military forced to "serve" under the Sith? My hopes are for a GA akin to the Rebellion, but I am not sure if that has been confirmed 100% yet. (Though Jan did agree that they were the "Rebels of the day")

2. Jedi Order: So, #8 tells us half survive. Hundreds? Thousands? Hard to tell. But, it sounds like they are truly leaderless, hence the need for a Skywalker to rally the Jedi around.

3. Imperial Knights/Jedi relations- #7 did this well. There is still a certian amount of rivalry between these two groups of Force Users.

In all, I look forward to the prospect of seeing more of the good guys- GA remnants and Fel's loyalists. Besides the already seen Pellaeon-class Star Destroyer and Scythe-class battle cruiser, I am interested to see a bit more of those two new ships from the preview of #9.

Methinks a Imperial frigate and GA frigate, but who knows for sure.

--Adm. Nick

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Legacy #9 rocked. :D

Much of what I wanted to see was in it.

Looks like both Roan Fel's Imperial loyalists and Admiral Gar Stazi's Alliance remnant have been maintaining two independent rebellions up to this point. I loved the scence with Admiral Stazi and Borvark. Between Stazi being a legend and Borvark being the coolest Imperial non-human ever, it was a fun read.

The two new warships were not show in that great a detail. I still think both are more frigate sized, serving as support vessels to the Pellaeon-class and Scythe-class respectively.

Overall, I am stoked on #10.

--Adm. Nick

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Discounting Thrawn . . .

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    In recent history. :p

--Adm. Nick

18. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    I loved the moment where Borvark tells Stazi that the Emperor has taken Bastion, and Stazi just pauses before his "I guess we do have something to talk about" statement. :D

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, the preview for #9 is interesting. [face_thinking]

Looks like the fate of a Fel Loyalist/GA alliance will rest in the hands of two Imperial Knights. Force knows I am hoping that they can prevent those kriffing agents from ruining the best chance of overthrowing Krayt's Empire.

--Adm. Nick

20. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    They're screwed.

21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Maybe we will get lucky. Perhaps Wolf and Shado stayed behind to help protect the conference.

Which begs the question- are the GA remnants and Jedi still working together?

--Adm. Nick

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Unlikely, given Fel's apparent statements that they won't get help from the Jedi, so they should turn to the GA instead. It appears they're acting separately.

23. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    could someone talk jan into drawing a Legacy era starship profile size comparison chart

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It could be worse. They could be depending on Cade.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I actually like both the IK and Cade. I think the IK are cool looking and awesome- so long as they are not better than the Jedi Knights.

So Jello, seems ole Emperor Fel continues to grow on you. It's about time you start rooting for modern Imperial- especially since Pellaeon is long dead by 137 ABY. No worries about him appearing, unless the Sith are using the Dark Side of the Force to keep him going. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.