main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Admiring Palpatine's Patience

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthPunisher, Jan 31, 2018.

1. DarthPunisher

DarthPunisher Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2018
    Have to take a moment and appreciate the patience that Palpetine had during the entire PT. This man visualized that he would be in power probably even before Anakin was born and plotted perfectly until it happened. Even when some things didn't go as planned he didn't jump in and expose himself. He anticipated how the Jedi and the republic would respond to each one of his moves and smiled. I have to give this man props on that.

2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I guess. No different than any politician. It often takes a lifetime of building alliances, influence and power to achieve your end goal.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    People want to love a bad guy in Star Wars. Harumph! ;)

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah I always thought his plot was just brilliant , to dismantle the Republic from within , to manipulate it to conspire its own demise etc.

5. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I love the way he fomented a sustained period of bloodshed and conflict, divisive politics and all out war for his own narcissistic ends. So many feels of admiration.

Kylo who?

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    He played the long game - And what a brilliant game it was! =D=

SithOverlord101 and themoth like this.
  7. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Yeah. When you appreciate the incredible patience he showed for so long in quietly amassing power right underneath the Jedi's noses, his wild exuberance at the end of ROTS starts to make more sense. He's kept it all hidden and bottled up for so very, very long that it must be a thrill to let it all out and reveal his true self.

8. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Palpatine never stopped working for his plan of Galactic Dominance; even by III he was still working. Patience is more like waiting for a long time to reap the benefits of something you did a long time ago...

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Definitely. He was always implementing parts of his plan. Always. Everything he did was tailored to his end goal. He was the best in the business and no one will beat him in this regard.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  10. DarthPunisher

DarthPunisher Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2018
    Exactly and he wasn't no punk either. I was just telling one of my co workers who was talking about oh when he fought Yoda he almost loss. First of all its Yoda. Then I had to show him the clip from The Clone Wars when he confronted Darth Maul and his apprentice. That was awesome!

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Your avatar of Darth Plageuis is awesome btw.

I concur. You have to give credit where it's due. What a man. Palpatine is a legend. I mean seriously what a beautiful plan. I personally liked the Jedi. I detested the corrupt Republic. Palpatine's long game was incredible. He outplayed everyone. Shame he became too arrogant in his old age by ROTJ and pointlessly tied the hands of an Imperial Fleet that could have obliterated the Rebellion there and then.

If only we had such a visionary leader and well told villain in ST. I think it was magnificently shown how Palpatine got himself into power and LEGITIMATELY became the ruler of the galaxy.

The Jedi coup etc. His patience. My word, Master Yoda should tell the story of Darth Sidious the Patient, when instructing Luke on the art of patience. What a plan. Order 66, brilliant. Terrible yes, but brilliant.

I mean Palpatine has to be the most genius villain in the galaxy. You got to hand it to him, no matter which side you are on.

The relish with which he issues an executive order, "The time has come"

"Master Yoda.... At last the Jedi are no more!"

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    lord_sidious_ and Torib like this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's interesting how he and the Jedi both practice patience. If the Plagueis novel was anything to go by, he had been planning everything since he was a teenager at the latest.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Palpatine wanted power even as a teenager and was evil from birth(something McDiarmid spoke of and the Plagueis novel confirmed).

And he was patient decades in politics and rising as the most powerful Sith Lord in history-even in legends there was never a sith as extremely powerful in the sith as him.

14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    It's hardly admirable to be patient simply in order to exact revenge. After the Jedi purge, Palpatine made no material gain. Gained no more territory, plunder or power. Just elimnated anyone who could possibly have taken away what he had already gained, and which the Jedi had unwittingly secured for him due to their failure to perform due diligence.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Isn't that kind of the point?

When you already have the power - and I wouldn't exactly claim that he didn't gain any more afterwards, because being chancellor with emergency powers isn't the same as being Emperor - all there really is left to do is consolidate your power and remove anyone who could threaten it. Which is exactly what Palpatine has done, all while not letting his true personality get out into the public.

I don't see how the Jedi failed to perform due diligence either. Nothing they ever learned made it obvious that Palpatine was the Sith they were looking for. Dooku told them that there was a Sith who controlled the senate, but they hardly could know whether that statement was true or not, and any search never got anywhere. It's not like being in control of the senate requires being in charge of it. There was nothing they could have done to remove him. They had zero proof of him being involved in anything, and all the power he got came from the senate, not from the Jedi. The Jedi were in a position were they had to serve the Republic, a Republic which gave powers to Palpatine out of their own free will (mostly), they had to fight a war to defend the Republic at the same time, and their ability to use the force was diminished because it got clouded by the darkside. Hardly a good position to be in.

At worst I'd put them in a position like the social democrats in the Weimar Republic. If things had been handled a bit differently, it may not have turned out quite as badly as it did, but you can't really blame them for not being able to stop a catastrophy that was caused by others.

16. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    It was the emergency powers, and the "emergency" that, allowed the Supreme Chancellor to reform the Republic into an Empire, with a new constitution and him as monarch for life. The Jedi purge and the actions taken after it allowed Palpatine to secure the power he already had.
    Not following their own instincts (what they're trained to do) and blindly, albeit sort of passive aggressively , following the corrupt Senate and the Chancellor without following up obvious leads is what I mean by failure at due diligence.

17. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Darth Sidious the Patient.

Indeed. Everything proceeded to his plan. One has to admit, well played Palpatine. Well played!

Sith Lord 2015 and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Just about anything can be considered a virtue when it's taken out of its actual context.

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    His patience is impressive. He had to deceive and deceive over and over for his long term plan to succeed. He had to mask his true self, and had to continuously cultivate his persona as a genuine leader. It sounds exhausting to fake who you are for so long,but Palpatine's lust for power was what kept him going

darklordoftech and DarthTalonx like this.
  20. Rossini18

Rossini18 Jedi Knight

Jan 3, 2016
    It most certainly is admirable- He is the definition of patience is a virtue.

21. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    I also liked that by the end of ROTS it's shown that he isn't the most powerful fighter in the galaxy either, as he got beat by Windu and attempted to flee from Yoda. He knew his strengths and weaknesses.

Darkslayer and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  22. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Palpatine was a politician for decades and if we are using the legends Darth Plagueis novel-was a Sith Lord for just about all of that time-patience was essential to his plans, not hasty or rash action but rather endless patience and all things would proceed as he willed them to.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I suspect that Palpatine had found a way to use The Force to avoid dying of old age, and therefore he felt no rush.

24. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I believe history will dub him as "Darth Sidious the Patient."