main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Admit it! You collect other toy lines. (Non-SW toy discussions)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Rebel_Spook, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprized if Chuckles wasn't based on the Miami Vice character.

At least the outfit...

2. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It's actually kind of funny that I love both Megos and anything Star Wars-related. Did anyone here know that someone from LucasArts(don't know if it was George himself or a representative) approached Mego about doing their first toy line and was all but thrown out of the office? Refusing that license is thought by many to be the "beginning of the end" for MegoCorp. When they saw what a huge mistake they had made and how huge SW was, they started buying up every license they could, which is why we ended up with some really off-the-wall stuff.
    Personally, I'm mostly into the World's Greatest Superheroes line, but I also love Dinah Mite. I have a pretty big collection of them(Mego's answer to Barbie) and am working on getting as many of the outfits as I can. Once I complete the WGSH, I'll probably start buying Planet of the Apes or Wizard of Oz. I also customize, because Mego left some pretty big holes in the superhero lineup.
    If you're looking for more information on them, there are a few different message boards and websites. Each has it's strengths. www.megomuseum.com has a great gallery section and lots of resources for customizers. It's a pretty big message board, but they tend to be very off-topic. www.dinahmite.com is kind of a "Mego Only" board. They don't have galleries yet, and the board is new, but it's coming along nicely. The people there are good friends of mine. There was also a book released recently called "World's Greatest Toys" by Benjamin Holcomb, which you might want to check out.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    That's wild isn't it? And nobody was happier than Kenner toys. It's fun to wonder just how different the 'Star Wars' toy line would've been if MEGO had done it. It's also interesting to think about the impact on action figures in general, since Kenner's 3 3/4" scale became the standard of the 80's, influencing my other favorite toy line 'G.I. Joe: A real American hero'.

Thanks, I'll check into it. Which reminds me, there's also a great book from the mid 90's written by John Marshall called 'G.I. Joe: And other backyard heroes'. It's dedicated to toy lines of the 70's, and focuses quite a bit on MEGO. Since it's from the author's own experiences growing up, it focuses on "boys toys".

Oh, and I think that I forgot to say welcome to the board :D.

Good call. Chuckles looks just like the 'Vice' character Det Larry Zito aka - John Diehl [He was also Kawalsky in 'Stargate']!

4. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    ha...Chuckles...I remember the day I bought him. I thought something like "wow, G.I.Joe has really gone downhill." He's still in great condition, because I hardly ever played with him. I always thought his eyes looked funny too...it made me think he was on drugs. Don't ask me why, just the mixed-up musings of a young boy. Shortly after that I would enter the "dark times" where I thought I was too old to buy toys.

5. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I had entered the dark times ["Before the dark times. Before girls." :p ] just before Chuckles was released. When I went back as an adult I was like "Chuckles? Is this the same toy line the once had characters named Stalker, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow? What's next, Charleston Chew?"

With that dodgy Hawaiian shirt and all I think I'll call him "Magnum P.U."

6. DarthGeist

DarthGeist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2008
    Rewinding back to my UK Harry Potter question ... Does anyone know how I can get them imported to the States? I don't know how many of you collect Potter, but I found one online site about a year ago that I had ordered from and now they don't carry them.
    I want to try and complete the collection. Anyone know a site that will ship to the U.S. and carries them (the PopCo/Cards Inc brand)?

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Have you tried some of the UK sites in our Online Resource thread? As I said earlier, you can ignore the Entertainer's site as they don't sell Potter.

8. del

Jul 4, 2008
    For the Potter figures, have you looked at eBay's UK site? I know that eBay is evil these days, but maybe you can find a seller with decent Buy It Now prices.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I got me the Henkei(Classics/Universe) Megatron and Astrotrain a couple weeks back. Way better cartoon accurate color shcemes on those guys especially Astrotrain who looks way better in his Purple and Gray. Love them!

10. DarthGeist

Jan 3, 2008
    I don't think I can use the UK Ebay site since I'm in the U.S. I can't really say for sure since I'm sort of Ebay illiterate lol

11. del

Jul 4, 2008
    You can, although it will first try and convince you to use your own country's site. Just like there are US sellers who will ship overseas, there are some in the UK who will ship here. I think it's just ebay.co.uk

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You can use it, though be aware that the current exchange rate is around $1.82-ish to £1.00. Also make sure the seller will ship internationally. (If the auction doesn't say, drop the seller an email to ask).

13. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I never really lost my zeal for Joe, but the year that Chuckles came out (1987) was the year i started thinking i knew better what to do with the property than Hasbro. I gave several characters alternate code names because the ones they were assigned were too silly. Couldn't stand Chuckles' name at the time, but i don't remember ever coming up with anything better!

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That sounds like something I would've done [face_laugh].

We should start a "Re-name Chuckles" campaign! Hmmm, a new name for Chuckles. Let's see, he's listed as "G.I. Joe's silent undercover agent"... How about DEEP COVER :cool:?

15. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I finally found some TLC Indy figures earlier in the week. Was at Target looking for the new DCUC figures and just happened to glance at the Indy pegs and I saw a Young Indy. Picked him up and looked through the rest to find an Indy w/tie. No Henry Sr., who was the one I was looking forward to the most in the wave, but I was happy to at least find these. That gave me some hope that there'll be a chance for me to find the TOD wave. I gotta have that Mola Ram and Short Round.

Also at the same Target they had two MM Jokers, the first I've seen since May, so I picked one up for a friend who hasn't been able to find one.

16. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Yeah, it's good the LC figs getting out there more. I actually found mine a couple of months back, but Hasbro seems to be having some real distribution problems. Apparently they are splitting the new wave up into two different assortments, apparently to help them move more of the old ones. :rolleyes: I'm betting they way overproduced on those, and there's a lot of speculation that Hasbro's inflated expectations for the line might result in its early passing. Keeping my fingers crossed that that doesn't happen![face_praying]

On Chuckles... 21 years later, and i'm still stumped for a name for him! He had a recent comic appearance that made me see the character in a little different light. Hawk almost referred to him by his real name, and got a serious reprimand for it! [face_laugh]

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Local Wal-Marts have dropped their price on basic 'Indiana Jones' figures to $5.49 a piece. Hopefully that'll be enough to convince a dozen or so local kids to drop their lunch money on some Ceremonial Belloq's so they can make way for the 'Last Crusade' wave!

18. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Yeah, they did the same at the local Wal-Marts here too. I'm tempted to pick up a few characters I wasn't planning on getting originally because of the new price, but they're so overloaded with the first two waves though I don't see this helping much. They need to do a BOGO sale, or maybe lower the price even more.

19. DarthGeist

Jan 3, 2008
    Hey guys, I had a cool thought. Since the Dark Knight Movie Masters figures have done so well, wouldn't it be amazing if Mattel made that the "standard" Batman movie line from the next movie onward? I don't see it happening since I think their main cash cow is the kid focused line, but wow ... I would have to become a diehard Batman collector.

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_blush] I was actually off .05 cents; they had them for $5.44. It hasn't helped though. A buy one/get one might be just the trick. Maybe after Thanksgiving.

I would like to see them expand the "Movie masters" line but you're right, their bread and butter must be the basic figures. My biggest complaint with the besic line is the lack of variety. With 'Star Wars' even senators get their own figures... senators! With 'Batman' though it's a Joker and a dozen Batman variations. No Alfred. No Fox. No Rachel. Heck, not even a Gordon or Dent/Two-Face yet.

21. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    Awesome morning at the garage sale. For under 10 dollars, I picked up all this:

Sectaurs Hyve playset, about 85% complete, great condition
    Robo Force fortress and two robots
    Ecto-1 and ghostbusters figures Winston and Peter
    Two MASK vehicles: the orange truck and purple motorcycle, incomplete
    a Power Lords Raygoth figure

and the most amazing, a spare B-wing gun to finish the extra vintage B-wing that I got at a garage sale a few years ago. On a non-toy note, I picked up a box of miscellaneous 45 rpm records for real cheap. It's pretty sad when "Seventeen" by Winger is the highlight of the box, but I couldn't pass them up. If I ever find any Milli Vanilli collectors, I can make their day though!

22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That, my friend, is your best find of all. I can air guitar that stuff all day long... "She's only seven--teeeeeeen!"... Sorry [face_blush].

Nice finds. Whenever I hit a garage sale all I usually find are old sandwich makers caked with 10 year old cheese. Is the orange truck 'Gator', the Jeep with the sled that shoots out of the front? BTW, did you know that M.A.S.K. is the mighty power that can save the day-e-ay?

----

I picked up the 'G.I. Joe: R.A.M. VS Flight pod' set tonight.

23. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    Funny story...I reached in the chest-hairy picture sleeve to pull out the record, hoping to rock out like junior high, and guess what i found. I'm not making this up....it was Rick Astley! I got RickRolled on vinyl! Somebody mixed up all the records and sleeves. I never did find Winger, but I did find "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" by the Cutting Crew, for whatever that's worth.

Heck yeah, me and M.A.S.K. go way back. The truck was Firecracker, the one that pops up and launches a blade-covered spare tire. I think I've even got a spare Hondo MacLean with Lifter mask to go with it.

24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_laugh]... Classic! Old school RickRoll. If you'll excuse me, I must now do the Rick Astley dance [visual aid provided by this emoticon]... [face_dancing].

One of my faves. Great, great song. I have that favored on youtube actually. You can always "air keyboard" to it.

Yeah, Firecracker. Okay. -- Hondo MacLean... I love those M.A.S.K. names; Alex Sector, Calhoun Burns & Ace Riker etc.

25. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    I love the term "old school RickRoll." I'm gonna steal that one. Anyway, check the blog if you want Hyve pics. Not to be confused with Hive pics, which are really kinda scary but usually go away with a topical ointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.