main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Admit it! You collect other toy lines. (Non-SW toy discussions)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Rebel_Spook, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002
    Mattel's 'Matty Collector.com' seem to be increasingly prone to "dropping the ball" - their 'Faker' exclusive 'Classics' figure sold out in hours on Monday. No fan loyalty displayed by this company other than having created the collector site in the first place. 'MattyScalper.com' would seem to be more appropriate.

2. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Supposedly Matty had a limit of 3 and then upped it to 10 for people buying to distribute to international fans.

I think He-Man.org is running a poll about it
    http://he-man.org/

3. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Ok, so I finally broke down a while back and bought a couple of the new G.I.Joe figures! I had checked them out when they had first come out, but after collecting the original Joes from back in the day, I just didn't want to buy them all over again. I could see they weren't the same Joes I had bought as a kid and played countless battles with, but I still have ALL of my old Joes, though some of the not so cooler ones, ahem, *cough* Toolbooth, driver for the Bridgelayer have since parted with their "o" rings to breathe new life into my old favs that might have remained severed in two due to old age!

So anyway, a co-worker of mine who was a big G.I. Joe fan broke down and bought the 2 pack of Beachhead and (lol)"Dataframe" (I knew him as Mainframe) along with GungHo and that was that! A couple of weeks passed and I checked them out again and again until one night still waiting to see any sign of wave 5 of the Clone Wars figures I saw the new version of one of my all time favs, Airborne! I had to pick him up along with Scarlett and the Cobra Soldier (gotta have a bad guy to fight and I always loved the old Cobra soldiers)! I gotta say, I really like these new versions, they are doing this line proud! I love the webgear is now not a part of the figure but an accessory, and being able to pull out their hand guns and knives is pretty neat. So tonight I finally found some wave 5 Clone Wars figures, but I also found Storm Shadow and the 1st gen version SnakeEyes! I had to get them! I even felt that old rush from back in the day when I first found the original Storm Shadow on the racks back in the 80's!!!

I may not get all of the Joes they are putting out, but if I see Flash, Firefly, Blowtorch or Zartan with his swamp bike, I may just have to pick those ones up! Yo Joe!!

Oh and just for the record, I think the movie is going to blow big time. I mean just because the Joes battle cry is "Yo Joe" they have to hire a "Yo" actor to play Duke?! C'mon, Dennis (I'm the same character in every movie now) Quaid, Brenden Fraiser (is Gung Ho now a wimp), Sienna (who are you again) Miller, that kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun as Cobra Commander and Marlon Wayans,....yes Marlon Wayans!? This thing must have some spectacular special effects because they bargain shopped for the cast! Ray Park will be awesome as Snakeyes, but why the hell is Storm Shadow wearing tails?! Is that his formal dinner ninja outfit?! *GROAN* At least Hasbro is putting out decent figures because the movie is going to stomp all over a really great part of my childhood!

Alright, off of the soapbox, this is about the figures and I think they are pretty cool!

~DZ

4. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    All the G.I.Joe toys at my local Target are on clearance, so I picked up the Cobra Rattler and the 5 pack of Cobra figures that includes StormShadow, Baroness, (Hooded) Cobra Commander, Zartan and the Viper. Both were only $12.98, so I couldn't pass them up at those prices!

I also saw all the new G.I. Joe figures based off of the movie, not very impressive. I considered getting SnakeEyes and FireFly, but passed on them both. Still can't help but cringe every time I see the trailer for this movie and the awful "Halo Masterchief" suits they are wearing in it. Oh well.

~DZ

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    ^ I agree, the movie tie-in line is lame and was easy to pass up. Still haven't been able to bring my self to see the movie.

I was able to clean up on clearance of the "25th anniversary" line at the end of July. Local Kroger stores [Grocery] had them on clearance for $3.63 a pop.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    GI Joe got crap reviews here in the UK, so you probably didn't miss much.

7. DarthGeist

DarthGeist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2008
    I liked it ... and I thought the toyline was alright ... I mean, don't get me wrong, neither are going to win any awards but, flip side of the coin, both aren't all that bad either.

As a former joe fan growing up, I thought the movie was pretty cool. Granted, silly things like accelerator suits and bad dialouge are enough to make you groan, but there's enough visual eye candy to just zone out on.

8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That doesn't surprise me. The studio didn't even preview it for critics here but it's still managed to make a solid haul. A few co-workers said it was okay, but they were younger and have no attachment to the original.

9. pretender

Mar 8, 2001
    I know a couple of people in their 30s who thought Joe was entertaining. Dumb but entertaining. I was never into GI Joe, haven't seen the movie, so I can't really tell you if it was true in spirit.

However- I bought and enjoyed Green Lantern: First Flight and also bought the Green Lantern Origins 3-pack. I didn't go to SDCC but there were still plenty on MattyCollector so that was cool.

I really want more animated GL movies. Oooh, it also has a preview for Superman/Batman Public Enimies which will feature Tim Daly, Kevin Conroy and Clancy Brown returning their roles.

10. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    I picked up a couple of the movie version G.I.Joe figures since they were 2 for $10 at TRU. Got the Scarlett with her hair down, Snake-Eyes Paris Pursuit or whatever and the other with the coat and Timber, Storm Shadow, Baroness and the TRU exclusive Firefly. Out of all of them Firefly is the coolest, the others are just okay. They look alright, but the thing that doesn't make sense is that some of the web gear is just for show and there is sometimes no where to put the additional weapons they come with. Snake-eyes is a prime example, he comes with an extra knife and pistol but no where to put them. His webgear is also just for show and it kind of looks stupid, its hella shiny. Considering how good the redone line of the classic Joes were, this line kind of stinks.

Oh and I saw the movie and it was alright. Not as bad as Wolverine, about as good as that Van Helsing movie from a few years back. Weak on story and heavy on special effects. They took a LOT of liberties with the Joes history and heck even what G.I.Joe is altogether. I only really liked Snake-Eyes, the scenes with him on the Cobra SUV were pretty cool. Other then that, if you miss it in the theaters you are not missing much. Have no idea why they made Marlon Wayans Ripcord. All he wants to do through out the whole movie other then put the moves on Scarlett is fly Jets. Huh, did I miss something, Ripcord doesn't fly jets, he's a HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) Jumper! Why not call him SlipStream, no one would really care and SlipStream was the pilot of the Conquest X30. Whatever. If I hadn't paid only $5 to see it, I might be looking for a refund, heck I still might ask for one.

oh yeah, Superman/Batman Public Enimies looks hella good, I can't wait for that one!

~DZ

11. Ryorin

Ryorin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2008
    So, series 5 of the Stargate: SG-1 action figures are in the works, including Black-ops Carter, Dress Uniform Jack, Dress uniform Hammond, and, the ones I'm looking forward to, Ba'al and a Horus Guard. Thing is, they were supposed to be released early last month and the current release status is "To Be Determined." I hope it's not going to get canceled... I've been looking forward to it...

And I got SG-1's Desert Daniel and SGA's Ronon for my birthday. Yay for moms and sister-in-laws!

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I wish the Batman figures were of higher quality

13. BuddyParaiso

BuddyParaiso Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2009
    Hello there,

Aside from STAR WARS, I'm an avid fan of the vintage anime "CHODENJI MASHIN VOLTES V", and I had a Popinka Bandai Godaikin 13-inch die cast Voltes V super robot here with me; it's a cool metal toy that forms 5 Military Machines (The Volt Machines) when separated. It can also turn into a Giant Space Age Tank. The giant robot sports several weapons and it's most IMPRESSIVE weapon is the "Ten-Ku-Ken" or Sword of Heaven.

A New incarnation of the "Voltes V" replica, is the "Soul of Chogukin" Version of Voltes V also from Bandai. Costing around 14,000 Philippine Pesos. This time, the robot toy can be posed into numerous poses, plus, the toy line has "Camp Big Falcon" Voltes V's defense fortress!

I also got the complete 40 episode Voltes V DVD. The story of this anime created by Saburo Yate (Voltron)and Tadao Nagahama is totally awesome, poignant and a tear jerker compared to other robot animes since Voltron. And back in 1977, Voltes V had taken the Philippines by storm.

14. BuddyParaiso

May 12, 2009
    Hello there,

I think I've made a mistake by advertising too much about my other interest so I tried to re-write my reply and correct it)

Aside from STAR WARS, I'm an avid fan of the vintage anime "CHODENJI MASHIN VOLTES V", and I had a Popinka Bandai Godaikin 13-inch die cast Voltes V super robot here with me; it's a cool metal toy that forms 5 Military Machines (The Volt Machines) when separated. It can also turn into a Giant Space Age Tank. The giant robot sports several weapons and it's most IMPRESSIVE weapon is the "Ten-Ku-Ken" or Sword of Heaven.

A New incarnation of the "Voltes V" replica, is the "Soul of Chogukin" Version of Voltes V also from Bandai. The thing cost a fortune but understandable. This time, the robot toy can be posed into numerous poses, plus, the toy line has "Camp Big Falcon" Voltes V's defense fortress!

I also got the complete 40 episode Voltes V DVD.

There, I hope I've corrected any forum violation whatsoever...

15. pretender

Mar 8, 2001
    I didn't see anything wrong with your posts. :)

I've been rounding out my 4inch Infinite Heroes collection of Green Lantern characters. To go with Guy Gardner, Black Hand, Star Sapphire and the Qwardian and Manhunter I got Sinestro and Hal Jordan as a single figure. I got the Hal, Green Arrow and Black Canary pack but I really wanted a single Hal to group with the other figures. Yeah they are all carded and hanging on my wall.

As soon as I saw Hal and Sinestro at Target I got them. I noticed pretty soon after that the other new figures were gone too (cause I go to Target way too often).

The DC Direct figures cost too much so I hope they make more Lanterns in the Infinite Heroes size.

16. BuddyParaiso

May 12, 2009
    Hello,

Here is a sample of the image of the CHODENJI MASHIN VOLTES V die cast toy I'm talking about.
    (The Soul of Chogokin version )

[image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/450707746_f85b4842fa_o.jpg]

Buddy

17. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    Picked up the comic 2pack of Beachhead and Mainframe (Dataframe as he's called in the set but I'll always call him Mainframe as that's his actual codename) along with the Cobra B.A.T. and the DVD "M.A.S.S. Device" pack of figures that comes with "Radiation" Snake-Eyes, Timber (his Wolf), Stalker with J.U.M.P. Jet Pack, Baroness in Cobra diver suit, Cobra trooper and push cart with 3 elements along with part of the M.A.S.S. Device all 50% to 60% off at TJ Maxx! I know TJ Maxx, right?! Anyway, going to have to add TJ Maxx to my list of stores to check from now on.

Also picked up the "Paris Pursuit" Baroness at Wally World since she was only $5.

~DZ

18. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    TJ Maxx does it again! I scored the SHARC with Deep Six and the RAM w/Breaker vs Trouble Bubble w/TeleViper sets for only $12 each! I never got the original SHARC and Deep Six when I was a kid, so I finally completed some unfinished business!

~DZ

19. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    Picked up the "Revenge of Cobra" DVD pack for $7 at TJ Maxx! Includes Lady Jaye, Road Block with "Creeper Vines", Destro, the Weather Dominator and part of the M.A.S.S. Device.

~DZ

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I really really like the look of the new Iron Man 2 action figures. I'd like to see how they handled Whiplash

21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I've really been getting into Hasbro's Marvel Universe figures. It takes me back to those "Secret Wars" days of the mid 80's.

22. pretender

Mar 8, 2001
    I got an Iron Man MarkVI figure from the new Iron Man 2 figures.

I love that the scale is similar to the Spock and Wolverine figures I got last year and all the Green Lantern ones I have from Infinite Heroes.

It is a lot like being in the 80s. Not only Secret Wars but the star wars, Indiana Jone and GI Joes they had back then (like now) were all that scale. Superpowers by Kenner were a bit larger though.

23. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    I picked up another Cobra B.A.T., Arctic Trooper Snake Eyes (w/Quinn's necklace) and the Cobra Paratrooper at TJ Maxx for $4 each, and also broke down and picked up the movie versions of War Machine and Iron Man (Mark 1 armor) from the new Iron Man line of figs! Not bad too for only $6 each at Wally World.

~DZ

24. Jaques_Shalock

Jaques_Shalock Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2010
    I really, truely don't collect other 'toy' lines, at all.

Really, I don't even collect Star Wars toys. I like the realistic looking things. Props, busts, eventually, maybe some posters. Things you look at, but don't touch.

If I wasn't born when I was, I probably wouldn't even have that.

25. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    That's cool, for a long time I was exclusively SW, and while I wouldn't really say I collect other lines like I do SW, I do like picking up some of the G.I.Joes that Hasbro retooled from their original versions. Or if I'm curious about another toy line like the new Ironman figs, I may cherry pick from them.

I also have a couple of I guess you would call high-end SW collectibles, but I find that for me I would rather have the Force FX version of a lightsaber that I can admire and display, but also pick up and enjoy! Plus its about $300.00 cheaper on the wallet to go Force FX over the prop replica! I'm not knocking the display only items, and while I do like the ones I have, thats just not me.

I guess at the time I was born (73) it was good to be a kid and the child in me just wont stop collecting figures, and I'm ok with that!

~DZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.