main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adobe After Effects

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by el_director, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el_director

el_director Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 9, 2001
    There is an auction on ebay of After Effects 5.0 for a pretty good price. I want to bid, but I was first going to double check with you guys. After Effects can do pretty much anything in the realm of composition right? I mean, blue screening, rotoscoping, compositing animation and live footage. What about that clone film Clay Kronke put out a little while ago? You know, where he fights himself?

2. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    After Effects sure is a "good-to-go" thing, especially if you have the chance to get it a special price. And I would say yes, it can do all the fancy blue/green-screen stuff and compositing in general and also a lot more. I am not that sure about the video you mentioned and if I have seen that already. For some effects you might need some 3rd party plugins, like DV Garage´s stuff for bluescreening etc. (I´m using After FX PB and the built in features for compositing).

So... I would say GET IT!

3. el_director

Oct 9, 2001
    Right, the deal is actually the full and latest versions of Premiere and After Effects. I was thinking of going up to $250. What say you? (mind you, buying it on ebay is the only way I can afford it).

4. Admiral_Ant

Admiral_Ant Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I would send a message to the buyer, verify that these are REAL versions. Not just full copies, becuase that price sounds a bit too good to be true IMO

5. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    If it sounds too good to be true ... it probably is.

I used to see thsi kind of thing all the time about 3 years back, in my local Recylcer newpaper and such . . . basically, advertisements for the latest versions of programs such as After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere, Maya, 3D Studio MAX, etc - all for unbelievably low prices.

After doing some research and talking to a lot of people, I found out that these are (more often than not) merely copies of the programs (i.e. WAREZ) that people are trying to sell. And think of it this way . .. for the cost of a $0.50 CDR, you would be paying this guy $250.00+.

Not a really good deal, if you ask me.

Better to go the route of the educational discounters (i.e. JourneyEd.com and/or Creation Engine.com).

I suppose there is always the possibility that the guy on eBay is legit and is actually selling a "real" boxed version of the program. But, for my hard earned money, I wouldn't chance it.

JediTAC
    Self-Appointed TFN Member Financial Advisor. :D

6. el_director

Oct 9, 2001
    Well, he has a phenomal buyer approval rating (over eight hundred good reviews and two negative ones). He says they are the "full box verions" and come "complete with boxes, manuals, registration cards and everything that came with."

And then again, a CD-R would work just as well as the real version wouldn't it?

EDIT: Oh, and I did e-mail him. Never got a reply.

7. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    And then again, a CD-R would work just as well as the real version wouldn't it?

Maybe yes ... maybe no.
    Of course, we would then have to lump you within the ULTIMATE SUCKER category for paying that kind of money to a guy's whose investment was $0.50. And then there's the part about perpetuating this guy's illegal practices . . . if that even matters to you.

And one thing about eBay .... just because he has so many good rating comments, doesn't necessarily mean that the items he has sold are legal and legitimate. I'm sure there are plenty of like-minded crooks out there who have no problem funding this guy's activities and posting positive comments for him. ;)

Of course, there is always the chance that this guy is compeltely legit and simply wants to dump his properly purchased and registered products. If this is the case, then more power to ya.

Although, in reply to this comment ... (over eight hundred good reviews and two negative ones):
    Do you REALLY think that this guy has that many legitimate products to sell? ;)

JediTAC
    Self-Proclaimed eBay "Too Good to be True" Pessimist :D

8. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Buyer approvals do count for a lot, so if someone has a rating that high, you should be okay (famous last words right :) )

If this guy (with those creds) says the software comes with everything, then chances are it does. If you aren't happy, then just don't buy it. If it isn't genuine it's pointless paying anything for it. I'm sure there are a few questions you could ask him to find out, if you really aren't sure (what colour are the install sics, what page is "whatever" in the manual etc )

9. el_director

Oct 9, 2001
    Well, somebody just swooped in and has upped the price to $355, out of my price range. Guess I'll have to buy them separately.
    So, just out of curiosity, what about getting the previous versions (5.o premiere and 4.1 After Effects). Do they do pretty much do everything you need for the current generation of fan films?

10. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    you can get some nice deals on premiere with a capture card. If you are in school you can get student discounts lowering AE to around $300

11. el_director

Oct 9, 2001
    How Macho? I'm a homeschool senior.

12. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    check out Journeyed.com it might be a little more complicated since you are home schooled. If you have anyquestions just e-mail em and keep asking until you get your answer. Trust me it works.

13. el_director

Oct 9, 2001
    Yow Macho! I can buy both Premiere and After Effects for $300. The previous verions, granted, but they'll work for me...

EDIT: So what say ye, will After Effects 4.1 be sufficient for the basic FX?

14. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I used AE 4.1 to make Dark Skies. It's absolutely fine for making a fanfilm.

Plus once you've actually got AE, the upgrade prices are obviously a lot cheaper than having to buy the complete version of 5.5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.