main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adobe Photoshop Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Darth_Imran, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    This is by no means an official thread, but Kadue agreed that there should be a thread on Adobe Photoshop in this forum. :)

Adobe Photoshop is an excellent piece of software. The vast amount of potential available to the user is only limited by their creativity. Banners, buttons and even entire sites can be designed and structured sucessfully using AP.

If you want users to bookmark your site, it must be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, while also being ergonomically useable. AP offers tools that will allow you to accomplish both of these key factors.

The purpose of this thread is so that users can discuss the various difficulties and problems they may be having with AP. You can also provide help, hints, tips or your expertise - and generally anything related to AP. If you check out my sig, you'll see many graphics that were created using AP. :)

2. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    i think photo shop was the first thing that i really played with when i had my new computer installed. my brother demo'd everything for me but photo shop was really the only thing i could understand.

3. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i've been wandering how do you get this effect in photoshop. at moons of iego, the webmistress had this directional pattern thing on her banner.

if you don't understand what i'm saying, look at the banner.

Moons of Iego

i'd like to use the effect for my upcoming fansite.

4. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    It appears to be a combination of feathered selections and motion blurs.

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    yip - motion blur it is. To achieve a similar effect, play around with the direction and speed of the blur !!

malkie

6. Cammo_Man

Cammo_Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2003
    Ok I got a question...

In AP 7 how do you do a lense flare without artifacts?

-Josh

7. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i kept playing with the blur but i'll try it again. i think i know what to do now.

8. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Cammo_Man: I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "artifact." But the lense flare effect is located in Filters>Render>Lens Flare

Hope that was in some way helpful,
    -~Aanix~-

9. Cammo_Man

Cammo_Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2003
    artifacts are those little dots that appear besides the big bright spots.

-Josh

10. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I was working on a new banner two nights ago and I got this intereting ghostly affect I'd been trying to play with for fan art, but then I went back and I tried do it again but I forgot how.

The term used for the type of technique is transparent .gif but I can't remember how to do it again in Photoshop (V5.5). can someon help me?

11. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    .gif is a file format, not a technique. I can probably help, but you'll have to be much clearer. :)

12. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

I have a real problem with photoshop I can't understand it because there ars so much computer talk I just need someone to tell me what button to press in a specific order, simple clear and direct, that's why my site is pretty much bare graphics wise and I have to rely on other people

13. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    You might want to pick up a copy of "Photoshop for Dummies" or Photoshop User magazine. Both have lots of little tips that are shown step-by-step. And don't be ashamed to pick up the "Dummies" books, they're written by people that really know their stuff. I learned both ASP.NET and mySQL with those books.

14. solonet

solonet Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2003
    Photoshop is really easy to use once you are familiar with the basic structure
    If you know how the different layers work then the rest is just adding on special effects and changing the colors
    You have to play with it a little in order to get use to it

15. solonet

solonet Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2003
    Cammo_Man, what you can do is duplicate the layer you want to have the lens flare effect and erase the dots after you applied the effect, that way it won't hurt your original picture and you still get the flare, just make sure they aren't too many small dots around your main flare, becasue it will make it harder to erase afterwards

16. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    Hananiah, here's a link to a site that has some excellent, simple and yet effective, jargon-free tutorials for Adobe Photoshop 5.5 and onwards.

TrainingTools.com

17. darth_jurious

darth_jurious Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2003
    That link is most helpful, Darth Imran! Thankyou for sharing it! :D

I've got a copy of Photoshop, and I like playing about on it, but it's just learning everything that's difficult! I'm hoping to be able to create some cool things for my site in future, once I really get to grips with it.

18. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i figured out a way in ps to make transparent gifs, and it has to do with layers. :D

~aeryn

19. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    Here's a site with very good tutorials for some neat effects with Photoshop. They are staright to the point and tell you which buttons to click.

Phong

20. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    artifacts are those little dots that appear besides the big bright spots.

In Photoshop 3, I used to run into problems like that. The dots appeared at the edges of the image. I just used a bigger canvas to make the flare, then cropped it back.

Of course, now that I have Lightwave 3D, Photoshop's lens flares are not too useful to me. Lightwave gives far better control.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure John Knoll, the VFX supervisor at ILM that supervised TPM and AOTC, wrote the PS lens flares - he also writes a "Knoll Flare Pack" that contains lots of good flare effects for After Effects and some other programs.

In fact, John Knoll and his brother Thomas invented Photoshop.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm a complete Photoshop newbie, but I have found the 'Teach Yourself Visually' book to
    be a great help. See it on
    Barnes&Noble

22. d-bane80

d-bane80 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2001
    what is the best way to do a SW poster using Photoshop?
    I have AP7

23. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Hello everyone :D I love Photoshop, and have used it for a very long time. I'm well versed with how to create images, manipulate and do special effects. Unfortunately, I'm a lousy teacher. Ah. But if anyone has a specific question... go ahead and ask.

Making posters? Well, first start a new image and make the dimensions something like 500x710 ... I dunno what sort of poster you're going for... the stars in the background, sunset... if you're doing stars, color the whole thing black, then get some funky pictures of galaxies in there. I suggest gettyimages for pictures of galaxies/stars. You need to know how to use layers properly to make a decent poster... here's an example of a poster I made for the Ep I character Sabe.

[image=http://travella.elenath.org/poster_sabe.jpg]
    Let me know if you know how to use layers... we'll go from there :p

24. deadkitty15

deadkitty15 Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2002
    Hi everyone, I find this thread quite interesting, but I still can't find what I need.

I am trying to blue-screen using photoshop 6.0, and I can't seem to be able to do it.
    So if you can help me at all, please write back asap

25. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I dont think you can do bluescreening in PS.If someone else knows please correct me if I'm wrong.At least not like in the movies.It is possibly to paste other images on top of cool backgrounds,if thats what ya mean?Simple as opening a new layer and pasteing your image on that layer.

A good place to ask about it would be Dreamweavercafe. formally the photoshop cafe forums, same people and same staff and their very helpful and friendly.Hope it helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.