main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adobe Premiere

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by paradocs111, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paradocs111

paradocs111 Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2005
    Hi,

I've continually been impressed with the rotoscoping of lightsabers in the fanfilms that I've seen, and I would love to attempt this myself. I've read a couple of the tutorials and understand that it's most often done using a combination of Adobe photoshop and Adobe Premiere. My question is, is this only possible using the full programs, or can it be done with Photoshop/Premiere Elements? I don't have any Adobe software yet and I'm just interested to know how much it would cost to be able to render this kind of effect in a home movie.

Thanks.

2. Zennoa

Zennoa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Honestly the reason it's often done with those two is because someone doesn't have/know how to use AfterEffects. AE is kind of a combination of Adobe Premiere and Illustrator. It has the ability to work with I think all Adobe file formats. My first lightsaber effect was a Photoshop file imported and scaled/moved/rotated to match a stunt blade, at least until I realized I could draw an object and apply filters to it to leave out a step.

As to your question, I've been raised (in a mantter) on the full versions, having gone to college for graphic design, multimedia, video editing, and web design. What you need is the ability to save a filmstrip to use the method you're thinking of, which is digital cell painting - you draw the lightsaber in every frame.

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    paradocs111 - Welcome to TFN!

As Zennoa stated, if the programs can import/export the .flm format you're good to go. I'm not 100% sure what formats each of them can handle but everything I've heard suggests they can both use it just fine.

That said, most lightsabers around here are done in After Effects. You'll find support for both methods and combination of programs, but if you're getting into effects work I'd strongly recommend the purchase of AE. (However I wouldn't just get it for rotoscoping lightsabers. ;))

Hope that helps!

4. paradocs111

paradocs111 Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2005
    Zennoa and DVeditor,

Thanks very much for your advice, and for taking the time to reply. I'm looking to improve my video editing software anyway and, as I have two young nephews who don't do much that doesn't involve lightsabers, I thought I might try and upgrade to software that can also generate that kind of effect. I hadn't considered AE but, given your advice, will certainly look into it now.

Sincere thanks, Paradocs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.