main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adopt-A-Newbie (Masters seeking Newbies and Newbies seeking Masters lists up!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by padawan lunetta, May 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I've just sent Magenta a PM. Hopefully I'll soon have another padawan to celebrate to holidays with! [face_dancing]

2. Card_Dreamer

Card_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2003
    I'm relative to the EU forums, but new to the FanFic forums so I thought I'd get me set up here, get me a master and see how it works out. :)

NAME: Card Dreamer

LOOKING FOR: A Master

ERA: The Saga, Beyond The Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS:Luke, Qui-Gon, ewoks! Yoda, Thrawn, Dooku

STRENGTHS: Good story lines, plot joiner (picking up loose plots, or expanding on), detial and general ideas

WEAKNESS: MOTIVATION! I got so much going on I like to do. I need/want this to be a major focus. Also, a better vocab.

I LOVE TO WRITE: I try for novels, but short stories work (and outside SW, I like to write poetry too). Love themes seem to be a strength of mine, as does action.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:you know, I don't think I've found that limit yet...

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:26 years old, male and love ot write, draw, read...hmm, this isn't supposed to be my bio, huh? I enjoy making up short stories for my 5 year old son, who's into SW every bit as much as me and other common interests as well. I share a love of Star Wars, Star Trek and fantasy. Hopefully one day, I'll be a published writing in one, if not all 3 fields...

3. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    You know, we should have a little servey for Masters to fill out too!

-Brant_Flir

*Currently forming 'Brant's Blue Bantha Squadron of Padawans', Sworn enemy of Zonoma's and Nat's Padawan Armies!*

SLOGAN: "I've got the High Ground!"

lol

4. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    There is, and it's thanks to Zonoma. It's the same form, you just fill out the part that says: Looking for, with "A Padawan"

EDIT: And I'm with you on your "killing Obi-Wan" policy! :D

5. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    I've replied, Nienna! :D

[face_dancing]

6. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Congratulations are in order, then???[face_dancing](oh, and I'm not trying to pick on you with the following announcement, I promise)

[/color]

[color=darkblue][b]IMPORTANT:[/b][/color][color=darkred]

Masters,

I has come to my attention that we are "taking a padawan off the market" BEFORE the youngling has confirmed his/her willinigness to apprentice under you.

[b]Please don't do this![/b]

It is confusing to the list masters, clutters up the thread, and (in one specific case, esp) it is not fair to the newbies. Also very embarrassing when the match doesn't work out![face_wink]

Again, please don't pressure the kiddie's! PM them an inquiry, solidify, then come share your good news!!! [/color]

[color=darkblue][b]ALSO:[/b][/color][color=darkred]

I know that I said the Master's Orientation Classes would start soon, and they will. Our lovely moddesses are helping us determine the best format and whether or not we should have our own thread for them so as not to clutter this one. When everything is set up, I'll be sure to PM those of you who express your interest in participating (here or by PM).[/color]

7. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Don't listen to Z, it's fun to cram your sig with padawan's names. :p

I'm kidding! Listen to Z!

Or you could turn to the dark side

OK, that was NOT me... [face_whistling]

8. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Killing Obi-Wan policy? oh, my sig. Were you there for that thing with me and the Queen?

9. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004

10. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I have officially taken Magenta_Moonshadow as my second padawan learner! :D

Better watch out Zonoma! I'm building myself an army! :p
    Sorry for adding to the clutter of the thread, Z. I promise to pick up my trash from here on out like a good girl. ;)

11. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    *sticks head in*

Hi! I tried this out before, but was insanely busy and it just didn't work out for my poor padawan . . . but I have time now and would love to have a youngling to guide. My specialty is K/J stuff, and I would really like a fellow K/Jer as a padawan.

So how do I do this? It's been too long and I can barely remember.

Dana

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Um, Brad, you're not ALLOWED to go against me. I was YOUR master.

Like Dana said, haven't done this in a while so I have no clue about the new system . . . but I'd love to take another padawan. I'm Beyond and I do J/J, so I'd really like a J/J appy. PM me if you're interested :) I'll figure out the correct format later . . .

Also, I've got finals exams next week and I've got a busy break, so if it's important that you have a master before the new year, I'd be a bad person to ask.

~Nat

13. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    When did Auntie Z make that rule? [face_devil] No, as you called yourself 'You Evil Sith' it makes me a Sith, and in the Sith rules is this syaing , "Always two there is. A master and an apprentice. No more. No Less." So, maybe its time to bring it down to only one Sith Master......[face_devil]

I'm lookign for a padawan too.

I'm a Clone Wars Saga, Beyond Saga, but i don't like Before to much.

14. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    It is wonderful to see so many masters looking for slaves, er, younglings! Some one asked "How do we do this?" Well, I am so glad you asked!!!!

[b]This is how we do this:[/b]

1)All Masters (yes, you) and potential padawans (this means you, newbies!) must fill out the form found at the bottom of this page.

2)Look through the various applicants every once in a while -the complete lists are posted faithfully each Monday with page numbers. I [i]highly[/i] recommend actually taking the time to read provided samples.

3)When you find someone that seems like a new match, then PM them! (Master and Padawans are allowed to make first contact) Don't be shy!!! The squeaky wheel tends to get the oil.

[b]DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU DO NOT WANT PMed!!![/b] Listing yourself as Master or Padawan makes you free game for Adoption business PMs from prospective partners.

Make sure your PM states "Adoption Inquiry" in the subject so that it does not get overlooked.

4)Be patient while waiting for a response.

5)If you do not feel it is a good match, that OKAY. Decline gracefully and move on. You need to feel comfortable with your partner, this is supposed to be educational and FUN.

6) Finally! When the deed is done, and both of you are happy... come share the good news with us!![/color][hr]
    [color=sienna]On another note...

[b]Masters[/b],
    Please, please be careful about taking too many padawans.

I know that the running joke is that I never turn one down and am a padawan hog, but honestly? Now that ladylaurel is knighted I only have 3 and will be knighting Brightfeather very, very soon and have 2.

My numerous shadowans are - wait for it - formerly padawans whose masters OVER EXTENDED THEIR COMMITMENTS!!! Please don't do this.

I [i]strongly[/i] urge you to only keep two unless you are about to knight one.[/color]
    [hr]

[color=darkblue]NAME:

LOOKING FOR: (please indicate Master or Padawan)

ERA:

FAVE CHARACTERS:

STRENGTHS:

WEAKNESS:

I LOVE TO WRITE:

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if [i]onsite[/i] sample is available):
    [/color]

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    NAME: Nat

LOOKING FOR: Padawan

ERA: Beyond

FAVE CHARACTERS: Jaina, Jag, Tahiri, Anakin, Syal and Myri Antilles, the Fel family, the Solo family, Valin and Jysella Horn

STRENGTHS: mush, drama, angst

WEAKNESS: action

I LOVE TO WRITE: J/J

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: J/K, J/Z

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm in high school, and my friends call me Carrot Top. I keep telling them that carrot tops are green . . .

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): Family Ties And you don't have to read it, it's REALLY long.

NOTES: I have 3 padawans, but two don't ever need help, and I think one of them will be knighted soon. Also, like i said, exams are next week, so don't freak out if I don't answer a PM right away.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    *sheepish* Thanks, Z.

NAME: DantanaSkywalker

ERA: Beyond the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo

STRENGTHS: K/J, mush, angst

WEAKNESS: action scenes

I LOVE TO WRITE: K/J stuff. Just about anything K/J, I will write it. I'm esp. prolific at songfics.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: J/J, also J/D or J/T (unless it's Jag/Tahiri), and no Kyp/other

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I used to be a Fanfiction Manager 'round these parts. I run Kyp And Jaina Shippers United and I'm a theatre major in college.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Fall In Time

17. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    No problem, Dana ;). Welcome back.

18. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005

Here, here! I heartily agree this is the way it should be done! Well spoken Zonoma. Masters, always remember: We are helping for the benefit of the young writer wishing for help, not for our own sense of accomplishment. It is the young writers who can benefit from our full attention, or suffer from our lack of said attention. Please be considerate of your Padawans!

19. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    I've been thinking of taking on a Padawan again for a while now, so I guess I'll throw my lot in as well. :)

NAME: Neon

ERA: Before Saga, Saga, and some Beyond (Anything from NJO and on is out of my range.)

FAVE CHARACTERS: Xanatos, Obi-wan, Qui-gon, Luke, Dooku, mostly any character found in the movies

STRENGTHS: Humor, romance, angst, AUs, character deaths

WEAKNESS: Physical fighting scenes still give me a little trouble.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Pretty much anything and everything. Though I tend to write angst more then anything else. Also adore writing OC and AU fics.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: There isn't anything that I say I would never write, since I've proven myself wrong before. But, if I must, it would have to be anything NJO or post NJO, as I have no care for it.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: Hmm, well, been around the boards forever. Am best known for my SW vampires. ;) Also, I'm nineteen and currently in college.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Redemption For a sample of my AU, angsty stuff.
    And Letters of Complaint For my humor.

20. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Hello,

I've been coming here for a while, and I love it. I posted my first story a few days ago, and then I came across the newbie guide, telling me about adoption, or becoming a Padawan as it were ;) If anyone is willing or brave enough, then I would be gratefull.

If so, then please PM me,

Many thanks

E

21. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    NAME: Well, RL name is Maggie, but people around here call me Myra or Mirax
    ERA: Beyond. Just about nothing but it. Sometimes Saga if I'm feeling adventurous, and never Before.
    FAVE CHARACTERS: the Pilots! :D
    STRENGTHS: Angst (character death, longing looks across the room, etc), mush, character studies
    WEAKNESS: romance
    I LOVE TO WRITE: pilots, and angst involving them [face_devil]
    NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Before the Saga
    RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm 14, have two cats, am a hopeless romantic, and I'm totally obsessed with Gilmore Girls
    LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: It's all linked to in my profile. There's also more at a link that I can't put up here. PM me for me. :D

22. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I would like to announce that I have adopted JediFilly as my Padawan Learner [:D]

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I've adopted Jedi_Allegra as my padawan. :)

Dana

24. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    Welcome, EGKenobi! Why don't you post some information about yourself, and maybe a writing sample? It'll make it much easier to find a good match.

25. kotorchick

kotorchick Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    I'm not a newbie to the forums- I've beern here since August- but I feel I could really use some fan fic teaching. So here I am!

NAME: kotorchick- aka Allie

LOOKING FOR: (please indicate Master or Padawan) I'm looking for a Master.

ERA: I'm a Saga girl when it comes to writing. I love Han and Leia so much, but I can't forsake Anakin and Padme either. I also love the KOTOR era in Before, which you'll always find me reading a new Carth/Revan fic.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Han & Leia, Padme, Revan, Carth Onasi.

STRENGTHS: I'm very good at angst (at least I think so) and serious pieces. I also like writing romance a lot, though I'm not terribly strong at it.

WEAKNESS: I'm very weak at action and humor. When I did the dare challenge and had to include humor, I worked with my cousin over half the time- she's great at humor.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Angst/Romance/Drama. I also like creating OCs- I've got four of that I coown with my cousin in the Wicked fic we write (Wicked is a musical) but none as of yet in Star Wars.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: I don't think I've found that point yet. I haven't writeen any Beyond yet, have no intrest yet, but I don't think that is a definate I'll never write it.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm a fairly busy girl. I've been writing for about a year, and only have three pieces of published fiction (two Wicked, one Star Wars). Um, I love Broadway with all my heart (that's the only music I've got on my iPod) and I'm a devoted drama student. I've also been dancing for as long as I can remember, so its pretty important to me too. Oh, I'm 15. That's kind of important. Oh, and I love writing poetry- it helps keep me sane.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available): Well...
    Four Girls, A Guy, and A Gizka It's not that great, and it's not a good example at all of what my style is. I don't write humor as a general rule, and Anakin characterization is very draining for me to write. I much prefer H/L. If you want a better example, PM me. My Wicked one shot is very characteristic of how I tend to write. I'm also working on a song fic right now, but that's another matter.

I'm done! Please adopt me, o loving Masters! I'm slightly insane, but I promise I'll be good! O:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.