main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adoptions Plea for Help!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stridarious, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Co-ordinational Team Notepad: ?Moderational & User Adoptions Help Request!?

Hello, I am ?Strid? the coordinator of the Newbie Adoptions Program, I have since my term within this program been viewing older threads, and discussing with the Welcome New Users forum manager Morgaine possible ways to which this program may be able to extend its reach to those ?Newer? users A.K.A. Newbies whom may have wondered into the forums without seeing the WNU and the programs of help which are inherently therein ;) .

As so, I have been pondering as well as those whom have been helping to support and repair the program, methods which one could make an announcement well also not having an over-whelming burden. And then I discovered the basic fact that the original Coordinator had been working towards :) .

His main wish was to get this program ?hard-wired? into the JC, via forum introduction ?sticky? thread posts and or links within the header and so on and so forth.

It is with these things in mind that I asked if I may post this cry for help from both the many forum moderators, managers, administrators, and also YOU the members to help out the program, and if you happen to notice those ?newer? users, and happen to see that they have not been yet to the WNU and or Adoptions thread may simply point them there via link.

Now, I know many especially Moderators have little time, and that is understandable, however, whatever chance you get to do so would be greatly appreciated :D .

Also, I ask if the Forum Moderators may please somehow link within their Introduction threads a link to the WNU and or Adoptions thread, as so that for ?newer? users the process of reaching those areas are just a simple click away. As many times New members know not where everything is upon entrance and need that boost.

Thanks again for your time, and please any comments on this will be greatly appreciated, as I love [face_love] to hear from YOU those ?Older? members which I may or may not represent whom are apart of the Adoptions Program. Yet keep in mind that I am open for all that wish to comment to please do so ;) .

Note: Anyone whom registered within the program back in [V.3.0 or earlier] and were added to the list, yet never notified me of their adoption ceasing, please contact me via Private Message or post it here, especially if your name is missing from the listings. As I cleaned house 8-} .

//edit: fixed a typo ;)

2. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    *plea*

This can't be that big of a deal. If someone is new and clearly lost they're almost always directed to the WNU forum by some kind soul. But I suppose links in the headers couldn't hurt.

3. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    About new members finding the adoptions area, or finding that is a New Users board is a good idea. If a new member post in the wrong area by mistake and somebody else make fun of this new member because the mistake, this member is going to feel really bad.

4. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    I say let 'em sink or swim baby.... :D

On the other hand I suppose headers couldn't hurt either. :)

5. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think using links in the headers is a pretty good idea. Good job Strid.

It would give someone who hasnt made it to the WNU a chance to notice and visit.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Is the bottom line that you are requesting a thread link in the header of the Welcome Forum?

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Visit WNU? I think I might've posted there once in June... 2002.

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Then that makes you a NooB!11!

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    OMGomg!! :eek: I suppose I ought to go post my questions on whether Darth Sidious is Palpatine in 3SA post haste.

We have the following in our Lit. forum sticky:
      Newbie Adoption Thread - A thread that exists in the Welcome New Users forum where users that are new to the boards can get the help of older forum members to get to know the ins and outs of the forums.
    I couldn't tell you if it's done any "good." But, at the very least it probably hasn't hurt anything.

10. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    "Is the bottom line that you are requesting a thread link in the header of the Welcome Forum?"
    No, there already is a link to the Adoptions thread in the WNU header. He is asking if it's possible to add a link to the headers and/or introduction threads of other forums.

//edit: I can't spell.

11. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Oh, I see. That's an entirely different request altogether. I think it would really have to depend on the forum. When people go to the boards' main page, the Welcome Category is right at the top. Folks can go there immediately. But I would think that people simply migrate towards their interest and post where they're most comfortable. I mean this with no disrespect, but I cannot see a reason to add that thread to the 3SA, for example.

12. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    "When people go to the boards' main page, the Welcome Category is right at the top. Folks can go there immediately."
    Yes, they could, but fact is that very few of them do. Most go directly into 3SA, Lit. or whatever, without even noticing that there is a board for new users.

It's not so much 3SA that would benefit from a link, but hopefully the newbies, who wouldn't hear about this program otherwise. And I think you'll agree that some of them could use a little help from an oldbie. ;)

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't know, Morgaine. I understand what you're saying. But I thought having Welcome right at the very top and then you guys have it as a link to your own header, that that was enough.

14. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    I wish it was. :( We've discussed the issue over in WNU recently... the forum is not very well-known, but no one really has an idea how to change that.

But let's focus on the adoptions here. ;) I don't want to derail Strid's thread.

15. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Couldn't every Mod decide it for their own board indipendently? ?[face_plain]

In my view it is a good idea to work more together and I think some newbies need some help.
    Perhaps they don't know what the WNU is for.

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't want it derailed either. I'm just thinking that we have new users sign up all the time and they go right to their forum(s) of choice. I would suspect that, even if only briefly, they saw the Welcome Category. I believe folks know what we have and if they wanted to post somewhere, be it a forum or a particular thread, they would be doing that.

Just a devil's advocate question here. Do you think that if we included this link in a number of headers, traffic to the Welcome New Users Forum would increase? And by that I don't mean simply by one or two users a day. And you would have to exclude socks from that number. We have found oftentimes in the 3SA, for example, that all of the links in our headers get overlooked by nearly everyone despite the work that goes on behind-the-scenes to maintain them.

17. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Apparently, some people think the "Welcome" on the main page is just a greeting. I'm thinking of changing it to "New User Forums" or something like that to see if it helps any...

Would a link in 3SA increase traffic in WNU? I honestly don't know, but I think it might be worth a try. I know that header links often get overlooked, but even if it's only a small number of people who notice - we're happy about every n00b we get. ;)

Skiara - the content of a forum header is up to the individual forum mod(s), so everyone can decide if they want to add a link or not on their own. Comms is just the best way to approach all (or at least many) mods at once. :)

18. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Most people come here to discuss Star Wars, not to discuss being a new member.

19. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    And honestly, a Star Wars message board isn't that hard terribly hard to figure out.

I didn't even notice we HAD a WNU forum until 5-6 months after I registered. Maybe I thought it was a greeting like Morgaine said, I really forget.

Most Mods I have seen do a pretty good job of directing n00bs to the WNU when they make retarded mistakes, but the rest of them are fine.

20. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Most people come here to discuss Star Wars, not to discuss being a new member

[face_laugh] Tell that to the JCC,Senate, and about every other board on here [face_laugh]

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    But what I said is true. Most people initially sign up and register here to discuss Star Wars. The other discussions in the JCC or Senate may keep them coming back, but the Star Wars discussions are what initally made them register. I find it hard to believe that many people would find this place and sign up here if they didn't want to discuss Star Wars in one fashion or another.

22. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Sam, why do people INITIALLY join though? To talk about SW and meet other SW fans.

They are not looking for a site to discuss abortion, otherwise they would go to a site dedicated to that.

EDIT: Jeff beat me :( What he said

23. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    But what I said is true. Most people initially sign up and register here to discuss Star Wars. The other discussions in the JCC or Senate may keep them coming back, but the Star Wars discussions are what initally made them register. I find it hard to believe that many people would find this place and sign up here if they didn't want to discuss Star Wars in one fashion or another.
    Okay, that I will concede. However, the social groups and downright senslessness of the JCC has all but taken over the JC board. Its absurd. And now, in a attempt to revive the SW discussion, the moderators of SW froums have given way to heedless topics devoid of any meaning of true SW. It saddens me to think we actually need a forum (although Im thankful for it) where the header is shown in so bright as to be absurd: "This froum is for serious, in-depth discussion of the Star Wars saga." Forgive me, but I really don't want much else!

24. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
  25. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    If they're smart enough to avoid the WNU forum, they don't need any more help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.