main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adrian Edmondson (Captain Peavey)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The more I watch TLJ the more I love Adrian Edmondson’s performance and character of Captain Peavey. For those who don’t know here are some of his facial expressions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s some background info on him:

Edrison Peavey was a human maleofficer who served in the naval forcesof the First Order. Peavey had been an early founding member of the First Order after the collapse of the Galactic Empire, and thus personally knew Brendol Hux, the father of Armitage Hux. Because he was far too aware of how the younger Hux got his position as General through nepotism due to his father, the elder Hux, he held disrespect to his commanding officer, though he was smart enough to know to keep such thoughts to himself.[1] Holding the rank of captain, he acted as the commanding officer of the Resurgent-class Star DestroyerFinalizer in the event that the normal commanding officer of the Finalizer, General Hux, was transferred to the Mega-class Star DreadnoughtSupremacy, the flagship and headquarters for the First Order. Like fellow First Order captain Moden Canady, he had formerly served under the Empire prior to its fall,[1] which also acted as another reason why he kept his more disrespectful views of Hux to himself due to appreciating the Empire's hierarchy.[3]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Look at how organized he is with those pens in his jacket, too! Can you imagine his expression when anyone on that bridge has to sign something and is fumbling around touching their chests and pockets wondering where they last placed their pens? If you look closely at the first image you can see he even has different colored ones!

What do you think? Would this be the ultimate gift for Peavy? Or a monstrosity he'd smirk at and then immediately incinerate because it was beneath him to re-gift such a low-brow pen? I'm leaning toward the latter.

[​IMG]

Edit: I just realized that the pens thing is unique to all Captains. Hadn't noticed it before. Cannady has the same 4 pens setup too.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  3. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Those pens are actually First Order code cylinders that are used to grant them access to secure areas and such. They were used in the Empire too, they just weren't as prominent on the jackets as the First Order ones are. I'm actually surprised the visual dictionary doesn't specifically point them out as they have in the past.

3sm1r and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Interesting. They look exactly like pens to me. You learn something new about Star Wars every day.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    "Tooling" needs to go on one of those lists at the end of the year of words added to the dictionary. I've used it a couple of times myself since TLJ came out.

Satipo and RiddleMeThis like this.
  6. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Code cylinders have been a standard component of Imperial officer costumes since ANH although sometimes they were called “rank cylinders”.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So many of the first order officers who actually served with the empire are really cool characters. They are even competent. He was a very nice addition to the movie.

Ricardo Funes and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  8. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I noticed them but I guess was always more focused on the rank or actor’s faces to really wonder what they were before. For some reason the FO image here just seemed more obvious and pen-like to me. Perhaps because they’re closer together and the metal clip coming down seemed more pen-like visually to me.

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    He's definitely a young one & a great performance....

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I like the idea that all of the older and more experied veterans from the Empire era don’t like how Hux was promoted just because of who his father was. I also like that Johnson gives us a line about why Snoke kept it that way.

You wonder why I keep a rabid cur in such a place of power? Because a cur’s weakness properly manipulated can be a sharp tool.

I love that line for a bunch of reasons. It sets up that Snoke is reading his thoughts as he walks in. It shows that he keeps Hux around because he knows he can manipulate him to do his bidding effectively. It also foreshadows what he’s doing with Ben Solo via the mind bridge.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  11. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    His younger days sure were strange in the Empire. :p

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    this is my dude right here, made the opening scene with hux so much more bearable

[​IMG]

Satipo and DominusNovus like this.
  14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  15. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I thought Ade Edmondson was great in this role. Reminded me of Piett. Not overtly evil - just a man doing his job!

Darth Boycs, Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  16. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I love it too.

Later, it tells Ren that Snoke has been manipulating him, that Snoke thinks he's just another rabid cur, confirming Han's prediction.

It is also a lesson for Ren, which he later uses when he manipulates Rey's weakness.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    He tries to. But fails.

18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I love the way Peavey knocks Hux out of his way when reacting to the Raddus setting on its collision course.

And later. He's collateral damage when Kylo knocks Hux sideways.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Ricardo Funes and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Best line delivery ever -- we've caught them in the middle of their evacuation.

So smug....so brilliant

Satipo and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’ve never noticed he got impacted by Hux in those moments. I’ll have to watch again.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Is Peavey still alive? Excellent.

Agreed. Great line and delivery. I wish they'd cut out Hux's lines about whether or not Poe could hear him, etc - as I feel there's a lot to love about that whole scene but some of it - for me - is overplayed. "Tooling" is not one of those moments.

Ricardo Funes and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Yes he is!

Satipo likes this.
  23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Let's hope JJ brings him back then.

Martoto77 likes this.
  24. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Cool! I didn't recognize him.

[​IMG]

Count Yubnub and Martoto77 like this.
  25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    He's not the only Young Ones reference in the movie either.