main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ads currently being displayed...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jacemathem, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    I know you have no control over what advertising is displayed on the boards, but I was flabergasted! I just said flabergasted, about an ad I just saw on the page.

I saw an ad for a "dating" service website that is reputably known for erotic and sexual activity. I know this is a board frequented by many minors whose parents may object to this whether or not the minors do themselves. I've never seen it ever before until tonight when I was browsing between boards.

Also, I saw another ad that was indirectly promoting smoking, another thing that may be objected to.

Just bringing this to your attention, Admins.

2. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Where did you see the dating service one?

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I usually only see the "Green Card Lottery" ads.

4. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    I'm looking at one right now from a tobacco company asking me to win a flatscreen tv.

Seems odd considering that deathsticks are certainly not cool with GL, especially when r2 and Threepio told me not to smoke as a youth.

And yet, GL is listed as a reason why a gay character cannot exist in fan fiction here. I smell a pile of mularkey.

(I apologize for the spelling of mularkey. I have no idea how to spell it, but didn't want to write bull****.)

5. Malaki

Malaki Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    I missed the dating one, but I've seen the ones with the smoking. It is in bad taste for those type of ads to be here, what with all the impresionable youth around.

Is there a way to choose what type of ads are displayed, or is that up to the whim of the host? If the latter is true, then we will just have to turn a blind eye to the ads, which I would guess that most people who have been here for a while usually do anyway. :)

6. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I'm looking at one for a telemarketer-stopping device. Clearly, GL did not put telemarketers in the SW universe because he does not agree with the morality behind them. Burn the ads!

7. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    These ads make me long for the anti-pot ads that had marijuana leafs floating across my screen at work.

Good times.

8. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    I am just glad that the clicking one seems to be gone, that thing was gruesome.

9. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    You mean the one where you can contact "Girls in your area". Yeah, I saw that one.

10. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    I think it was determined, back when he had the "pot" ads, that since IGN controls the ads, the administration can't really do anything.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    i think the ads you see have something to do with the area you live in. the one i'm looking at right now has a beating heart and something written in chinese. i'm in korea, so this would make sense, and i haven't read of anyone else seeing this one.

TFN really doesn't have any control over what ads get shown though. IGN controls that.

12. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    the one i'm looking at right now has a beating heart and something written in chinese.

I would guess that this ad is completely missing the mark with you. ;)

13. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Well, color me flabergasted.

14. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Just ignore them, if they bother you. That's probably the best solution.

15. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    It doesn't bother me, myself. As Mulacki said, I just turn a blind eye to them. It just occured to me what kind of ads have appeared and I just wanted to bring the subject up to people's attention.

No, I'm not bothered...

[/Mormon] :p

16. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "i think the ads you see have something to do with the area you live in."

They must be as I have never seen a dating agency or smoking advert yet. I keep getting the same one from Britanna trying to persuade me to buy Finding Nemo for only £2.99. As always there's a catch. Another one with United Kingdom credit cards.

17. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    Now that you say it: I get ads for a German magazine since a few days.

Strange - how do they know I'm from Germany??

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

They're catching your IP.

19. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    We don't have control over the ads, as those are handled directly by IGN. We can complain to them about them (and have occasionally), but that's about it.

But then, they haven't bothered me, since I use Mozilla with the AdBlocker extension, which kills all of them so I don't see any ads at all.

Kimball Kinnison

20. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003

They're catching your IP.

Which also explains the endless spam e-mail I get for visting here.

Remember that next time someone tells you that you don't pay for TFN.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Ummm.... every website you visit can easily capture your IP. It's simple to do.

Capturing your e-mail though is next to impossible, and can only be done if you have it listed in something publicly viewable, which the profiles on IGNBoards aren't. It also can't just be grabbed in an instant like your IP can, it requires either crawlers finding it, or database information being given out. And also, IGN doesn't give out any of the addresses in their user databases. The spam is originating from elsewhere.

22. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    Really?

I used to have the first name "Richard" in my profile.
    No public e-mail listed ever.
    Strangely half the spam I get is addressed to the name I had listed in my profile here, and here only. I suppose it's just a coincidence. [face_laugh]

EDIT:
    By the way "E-mail is almost impossible to get" Are you serious? If you think you can't get an e-mail from and IP you are mistaken my friend.
    I won't publish how but rest assured it can be done ;)

23. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    that or someone manually signed you up for it. ;)

24. DarthBane420

Jan 13, 2003
    That's possible, I keep getting e-mails from a web sight called Zoo Sluts and I think one of the lit mods signed me up for it because they are sick of losing arguments to me. :p

25. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Thought this was kinda odd.

(I apologize for the spelling of mularkey. I have no idea how to spell it, but didn't want to write bull****.)

Next post was by:

Malaki

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.