main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ads currently being displayed...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jacemathem, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    By the way "E-mail is almost impossible to get" Are you serious? If you think you can't get an e-mail from and IP you are mistaken my friend.
    I won't publish how but rest assured it can be done

Actually, you can't get an email address from an IP address alone. An email address consists of two parts, separated by the @ symbol: a user name and a host name. You can get the host name from the IP address (that's the whole point of the DNS system), but with out the user name, you can't send a specific person an email.

However, most systems have a few default usernames. I can't tell you how much spam I receive from "postmaster" and "webmaster" on my work account.

Kimball Kinnison

2. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Don't forget ads for the VERY pretegious University of Phoenix (Online) ;)

3. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I was surprised at that advertisement as well, and they shouldn't be able to buy more time after this leasing thing is up, as it is a family friendly site.

4. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, let's see...until now,

I saw the smoking advertisement and I'm now seeing a political advertisement (by Republicans). Interesting.

-Aunecah

5. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Gah! Republican Ads! Get 'em away, get 'em AWAY!

[image=http://www.finalesimpsons.de/design_simpsons/grab_pics/philipp/homer_scream.gif]

6. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I used to have the first name "Richard" in my profile.
    No public e-mail listed ever.
    Strangely half the spam I get is addressed to the name I had listed in my profile here, and here only. I suppose it's just a coincidence.

So in the n number of years you've been online[which is more than 1 as you've been registered here since jan03], you've never said that your name was richard and posted your e-mail address publicly? How about when someone asks you for it and you give it to them on a message board? That happens a lot, I really doubt that you pay attention each time you post your e-mail address.

By the way "E-mail is almost impossible to get" Are you serious? If you think you can't get an e-mail from and IP you are mistaken my friend.

No flaming.

7. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    You're a *******. Stop trying to sound smart.

No flaming, please. :mad:

:)

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I used to have the first name "Richard" in my profile.
    No public e-mail listed ever.
    Strangely half the spam I get is addressed to the name I had listed in my profile here, and here only. I suppose it's just a coincidence.

Wouldn't be surprised. I got a brand new e-mail address that was not listed anywhere on the net, and only had given it to 3 friends before I started getting spam sent to it.

As others have said, you can't get it from an IP alone. But the way a lot of spammers work is to either send e-mails to specific governing re-mailer accounts, or just input a domain, and let a program continue to generate possible UNs for it, and then send e-mails to them. And no, I'm not mistaken. I do know what I'm talking about since I get paid to work on websites.

9. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    No flaming, please.

Sorry, honourable JC icon artist!

10. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Sorry, honourable JC icon artist!

Da's right! :p

[image=http://student.lublin.pl/profil/Cartman.jpg]

11. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Jeez, I had no idea I would stir up so many emotions :)

Kimball summed up quite well what i was trying to say, but I blew it by not considering Yahoo and such addresses.
    Sorry, I had no idea people would get so upset [face_laugh]

12. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Kimball summed up quite well what i was trying to say, but I blew it by not considering Yahoo and such addresses.
    Sorry, I had no idea people would get so upset

Kimball Kinnison provided a nice excuse for you, didn't he? do you even know what a DNS server is? I still think that you have no idea what you're talking about.

13. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Kyp,
    I seem to have arsed you, I wanted to apologize as you seem very upset about this.
    I would continue conversating with you but you seem to hostile right now, perhaps another time :)

14. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Great, now I have a travel ad dropping down from the designated ad space into my forum windows.

15. Skateboard_Jedi

Skateboard_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    I get the "Are you a smoker and over 21" banner a lot it seems. I am neither, but I try not to let it bother me too much. I did talk with an admin who told me that IGN, not TF.N has control over the banners, but they are working with IGN to see what they can do, if anything. Just ignore them like I do.

16. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Most of the ads I see are in no means inappropriate for younger users, but some seem questionable. Yet I do know that TF.N has no control over them. So basically install a brower that doesn't register them, or turn off the graphics on your browser, or ignore them. That's what I do. Especially when it's Bush's face I see up there. :)

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    TF.N has made me a two pack a day smoker, just because of those ads. I want that big screen. Thanks, TF.N.

;)

18. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    But DDH, you were a three pack a day smoker before. :p

19. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I too, just got a floating add ddisplayed right over a thread. It was a companion of the ad at the top. It definetly came from the boards.

¤Night

20. Malaki

Malaki Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    The 'Cheap Tickets' ad is the one that oversteps its ad space, but it only does that for a couple of seconds. There is probably some glitch with the way the image was made.

21. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    There is probably some glitch with the way the image was made.

No, it's an advertising technique. Something in the code starts it as a banner 5-6 times the normal size, then shrinks it after a few seconds. It's definitely intentional, and infinitely annoying.

22. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    I really wish the "If you're 21 and a smoker" ad said

"Click here to win LUNG CANCER!" instead of a flat screen TV. Lung Cancer's so much more exciting.

23. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    "Cigarettes GIVE you cancer! It's a gift!"

24. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I'm sure this is part of the "new" TFN.

You know...I'm married. The last few times I've come here, I've seen these targeted ads asking me to choose my flavor of woman-blonde, brunette, redhead. The thing that kills me is the ad mentions finding women in a town that's not too far from me.

[face_plain]

In fact, the ad is up right now. It looks like it's for the Single Me website.

*patiently waits for even more spam email*

EDIT:

Now it's the only ad I see regardless of what forum I go to.

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Technically, the ads are controlled by IGN, and TFN doesn't have much of a say in what is displayed.

There have been a couple times when IGN has been asked to remove an ad or two from the JC, but it doesn't happen too often.

Also, whoever decided to advertise singles to Star Wars fan is a genius. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.