Advanced sales begin May 1!!

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by wmgan, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmgan Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's what it says on the GV website.

Some exciting news:
    (1) Sneak previews will start at 4pm on 18th May (and here we were wondering about midnight screenings!)
    (2) Early morning sessions at 9am from 19th May onwards for you to wake up to STAR WARS
    (3) Late night sessions till 4am at all our GV cinemas on weekends

Yummy! I hope Shaw and Cathay follow suit.

My first viewing has GOT to be in Lido 1...
  2. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Woh! :eek: I also want to watch the earliest ROTS Screening at Lido. And IF we do have our usual SW Costumes Parade cum ROTS Screening on May 19th Evening, it'll also be at Lido.

Heck care what people said about how great is Cathay Orchard Cineleisure is as I always hate the "No Photography" Policy they have all over the whole building and the cinema's stupid strict "No Outside Food Policy"! [face_frustrated]
  3. JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Master

star 4
    It's not that I don't like Lido 1. I agree it's a great screen, and I guess the reason why people want to watch it there the first time is to get the best possible experience of watching ROTS.

But, since some of us are going for the Charity Premiere, you could say our virginity would have been lost then. Hence there wouldn't much point to rush to the earliest Lido screening.

;)
  4. wmgan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I can't afford the charity premiere, so...
  5. JediBoo Jedi Master

star 3
    There are a few problems.
    Its either non-digital AND it will be after their stupid price hike.

So no thanks. I'll stick to Cathay Cineleisure for now.
  6. Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Master

star 4
    I go abroad for 8mths, and now...

It's wonderful to know that everything keeps getting more expensive by the day.

Personal preference is Cineleisure, but their theatres, being smaller, makes it difficult to obtain tickets.

Anyway, I watched AOTC a couple of times at Lido, and another time at Cineleisure I think.. or was it all at Lido? Hmm..
  7. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Cathay Cineleisure is most likely to hiking their tickets too, and it might be $8 on May 19th. :eek:
  8. Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Master

star 4
    I wouldn't be surprised that they are trying to exploit crazy Star Wars nuts like us.

Seriously, the law of economics will eventually prevail. They can keep raising and raising, and fewer and fewer people will come.
  9. wmgan Jedi Knight

star 1
    It would be REALLY great if we could have a prequel trilogy marathon -- or even a complete sexlogy marathon (sorry, I didn't intend for that to sound so sleazy) -- at a cinema!

A bit out of topic here but does anyone know if Lucas is planning to release a prequel trilogy DVD box set that would match the recently released classic trilogy set? I wouldn't have bought the classic one otherwise...
  10. JediJean Jedi Master

star 3
    I'm sure that's bound to happen with the Prequel Trilogy too... a box set for the 3 movies.

If you ask me, it just makes good business sense to have something like that available for sale to Star Wars fans everywhere.

But hey, don't quote me on it though... it's up to Lucas, after all... :)
  11. JediBoo Jedi Master

star 3
    Cathay Cineleisure is most likely to hiking their tickets too, and it might be $8 on May 19th.

It will be $8 if its the digital version.
    Cathay wont be hiking, since GV, EW and Shaw were actually in some sort of clan or whatever, and they raised the price together. Cathay wasnt involved and hopefully it stays that way.

I'll watch it in Cineleisure, for three reasons
    1. Digital version
    2. Dolby Digital EX
    3. THX Certified Cinema

Worth that $8 for sure.
  12. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    The $8 is not likely for the Digital version as the original price of the ticket was suppose to be $6.50.
  13. benTantilles Jedi Knight

star 3
    "the cinema's stupid strict "No Outside Food Policy"!"

actually, i think all the cinemas have that. and I know for a fact that PS enforces it, too. I've come down under the heavy end of that hammer.

"Seriously, the law of economics will eventually prevail. They can keep raising and raising, and fewer and fewer people will come."

but the cinemas won't care if their profits keep rising, too.

I'd actually rather watch it at 12mn on the 18th/19th. Night-time shows have a better feel.. plus, i'm not going to be free in the afternoon.

Did someone say there was going to a costume parade on the 19th evening? What about the midnight screening? Is anything happening then?
  14. Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    gee, i'm really confused, so wad IS confirmed?
  15. Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, their profits are falling, which is why they are raising prices. It's the same justification they used for a long time. They keep blaming piracy of course.

I think they have also forgotten that for 2X that price, one could have gotten a VCD, or say... 5X the price, they could get the DVD.

The only incentive these days to visit the theatre is the experience. The sound is the only lure these days.

Fewer people are visiting the theatre. I first learnt of the price raise from a friend through MSN Messenger. She told me she refused to go to a theatre with such prices.

If one person thinks that way, how many others also think that way?
  16. JediBoo Jedi Master

star 3
    The $8 is not likely for the Digital version as the original price of the ticket was suppose to be $6.50.

If I'm not wrong Thursday before 5pm, the usual CATHAY ticket price would be $6.50

So for Digital versions of a movie would be an additional dollar.

So it *should* be $7.50
    Of course, I haven't really bothered with the ticket prices lately =P
    But it definitely should not be more than $8.50. It will be very bad for Cathay to raise their prices at this point without announcing.

*If one person thinks that way, how many others also think that way?*

I think there will be a huge contrast. May 1 is a Sunday, April 30 is a Saturday. I'm sure there WILL be a huge difference for this three 'kings' to feel the pinch.

PS: Sorry for putting caps on some words. I'm just lazy to put in bold or italic tags on them =P
  17. Jedipin Jedi Padawan

Ok let's decide WHEN and WHERE to watch yeah?

I would also much rather watch the midnight screening, don't like the idea of jostling in crowds of non-SW movie goers, noe what i mean..

Say all the cinemas will be screening it at midnight. Which cinema would you prefer?
    This will largely depend on whether there's gonna be a costume party too. Will there be one?
    Those with costumes, please let us know your agenda!
  18. JediBoo Jedi Master

star 3
    Costume Party is not for me.
    Its Cathay Cineleisure for me hands down. Unless other cinemas are selling the tickets at $6 on that day, I wont budge.
  19. Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    gee, chaos. So wads the final say?
  20. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    For our Costumes related day, no choice but Lido. Had bad experiences when we did the LOTR one in 2003 where it concluded at Cathay Cineleisure Orchard.

Oh this time, Money Pay First to ensure all those who reserved their tickets will get their tickets as I bet it'll be even more than when we had the LOTR one. :p Can be before I buy the tickets or after BUT before May 18th. Will create threads later for both May 18th (not likely 4pm Sneak Preview) and 19th.
  21. Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehe bad experience at cathay eh? I'd classify it more of as a horribly life changing experience.(for me at least)
    Dun worry de, i'll pay u very much b4 18th, i'll be getting a full 150 from aanakin. wee
  22. wmgan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Does anyone know when Cathay and Shaw will open their ticket sales for ROTS?

On second thought, perhaps it's best to watch it first in digital format, which means Cathay. You all probably heard the rumours about the digital version having a few extra scenes, including the penultimate scene in the film of Yoda in Dagobah.
  23. JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Can we keep the spoilers away? :mad:
  24. wmgan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oops, sorry!

But then again, EVERYONE knows that Yoda will end up in Dagobah so it's not really a spoiler in terms of the storyline... (just like if I told you that Anakin will become Darth Vader and that Palpatine will become the Emperor, that's not really spoilers right?)
  25. JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, well it wasn't known to everyone that Yoda's emmigration to Dagobah would be shown in ROTS. At least I didn't.

I hope things like this don't happen again... [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.