main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advanced thinkin' for the new website>>>>

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    We definetly need something like that. And it needs to look very futuristic...cutting edge... sci-fi like.

And I think having members write articles would be good. We can also set up a q&a thing. Like on SW.com, where you can ask the jedi council questions.

2. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I can do buttons that blow those away...well, I could...

3. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Yea, we need SW-type buttons that really push the envelope, and two diff site configs...one non-flash, and one just plain outrageous!!!

4. Nakta_Ga-mat

Nakta_Ga-mat Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't know if ya'll know what I'm talking about, but what if we setup some sort of "Jedi Name Converter." You type in your name and hit submit and it changes your name to a Jedi Name.

For more of an idea check out:
    http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/

5. teneniel_djo

teneniel_djo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    okay....i've been reading through this thread and looking at all the suggestions. i'm glad to see that everyone is interested in getting involved with the site. grimby's working on graphics until jd gets his comp and can do some as well. owbe and i have been looking at hosting plans and have it narrowed down to a few that look pretty good. i like jo's flash intro idea....i know a lot of sites that utilize that so if you want to start working on that, jo, i'd say go for it. anyone disagree?

as far as user-submitted articles and a trading post type page go, i did think of a cgi program we may be able to use for that. members could make their own posts as far as what they'd like to sell and things along those lines. no html experience necessary. i'll be installing this on the site within the next few days....anyone want to beta test for me? :)

i'll also keep my eye out for some other programs we could use as well. i have a feeling cgi and php are going to be our greatest tools in the making of the site.

keep the suggestions coming and i'll keep scouring my resources to see if it can be done.

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    cgi, php, flash....our allies these are. use them a lot we will, hmmmmmmm?

7. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Some high-tech companies like www.lancair.com have simple but effective FLASH entry points...I think we should follow their lead.....I was thinkin' maybe somethin' like when the X-Wing is comin' straight at the attacking Tie-Fighter in ANH with gun's blazin'!

8. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I could do that. I was working on a scrolling/rotating menu with growing links when you click them... but eh, maybe not that crazy, i'll save that for my fan fic site :D . I'll see what I can do

9. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    okay, here's the deal. I can't do much of anything right now, but even when I do my knowledge of cgi, php, java, flash, etc. is EXTREMELY limited...mainly what I've always been good at was designing web graphics for html sites...I can still do just about any web graphics you want, but I won't be able to help out w/ any cgi, php, etc. If I ever decided to pay to get flash (or somehow attain a copy some other way), I'm sure I'll be able to do that since it's a lot like a draw program from what I understand.

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    javascript is my gig, that and graphics.....

11. teneniel_djo

Dec 6, 2000
    i got php, cgi, css, and html covered.

12. teneniel_djo

Dec 6, 2000
    members page has finally been updated. :D

13. Miccu_Resea

Miccu_Resea Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    i fell really stupid asking this question-->

whats the address for the website? :confused:

14. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    If you look at the links at the top of this page upper-leftmost one says Rocky Mountain Fanforce, that will take you there.

the address is fanforce.nathair.com

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    oh yeah, css. css rules!

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I never got the hang of CSS.. I should go back and study up.

I can do HTML 4.0... That's it :D hehe.. but I can type up tutorials, collect refrence pictures (I have tons of them right now) and write articles or things like that.

17. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    ah, tutorials are a many splendered thing. gotta love the tutorials.....

18. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    DANG!!!! Gonna hav a kikin' website crew, I can tell already.....!

19. teneniel_djo

Dec 6, 2000
    just to keep you udpated, again. :) i'm currently working on a perl script that will break our new site down into sections....we'll have our own forum area (similar to this one), a downloads area (for pictures or graphics or whatever), a chat room (for meetings.....so those of us who can't make it can still participate), an auction area (i thought this might be convenient for the bartering people in our group), and i'm trying to find some way to put up a photo album as well so members will be able to upload their own pics to the site directly. it also has a calendar and a mailing list area as well.

any other things to add to the wishlist?

20. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    I dont know if it could be done but the flash on th opening screan should be a blurb about the RMFF but it should fad in to the distance just like the begining of the movies! that would be so cool.

21. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    At some point, I think it would be very kewl if we could have a black screen that 'fog's in, and as in the TPM scene where the droids are going to kill the Jedi, the doors part, the sabers ignite, and we all walk out....with the background sound...."Uh, OH!"

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    teneniel: i know of a script that would allow us to upload directly to the site. pm me for details....

damn you guys that sounds cool! if only i had a copy of that flash program......

23. teneniel_djo

Dec 6, 2000
    i've actually got a perl script that'll do that, grimby. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.