main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advent Rising (PC | XBox)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTK421

TheTK421 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    So it really isn't buggy?

Also, I'm not sure where I read this, but I remeber seeing that they had cancelled the next 2 in the trilogy, and the "Race to Save Humanity" contest, because of the lackluster reception of the game.

I may have to go pick up/rent a copy just to see.

2. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    I doubt they cancelled the next 2. The PSP game is still coming out so thats a good sign. I think it would be more known if the next 2 was cancelled.

3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    "So it really isn't buggy?"

As far as the PC version goes? No. A clipping bit here or there but what game doesn't? I've had zero stability or installation problems whatsoever.

"Also, I'm not sure where I read this, but I remeber seeing that they had cancelled the next 2 in the trilogy."

Not much point in calling it a trilogy if they only make one. :p

As I recall, Advent and Psychonaughts both feel short as far as sales went, but nothing that would blow the company to hell. If nothing else, they can always sell the liscence to another publisher. The game designers are already looking to the future with the PSP game and comic series due out this fall. Advent 2 and 3 are sure to follow sooner or later.

4. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    They better NOT cancel Advent 2 & 3 or alot of people will DIE [face_shhh]

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Advent hesitates for a split-second every now and then on my Xbox, but it's nothing major.

One thing that is bothering me, though, is that I have to agree with whoever it was that said that there's "too much" action. Yeah, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with endless fighting after endless fighting.

But I figure if I take breaks between levels, it doesn't bother me as much.

I traded in LotR: The Third Age for this and I'm not disappoitned. Third Age was going good, but not keeping my attention too well. I played this game for hours straight without stopping until I got tired of all the fighting.

One thing I found annoying is driving that jeep thing...the Scythe. I hated driving the Warthog in Halo, and this is no better, although I think Halo 2 had better graphics for the driving sequences.

6. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Yeah, don't get too burnt out your first time out. :p

The Scythe parts are okay, but the really fun vehicle stuff comes when you get the flak guns and Seeker tanks. :D Just wait until you get your powers, then things really take off. One of the reasons is getting close in CQC becomes a credible option for taking rooms of guys down instead of a last ditch effort to finish a wounded enemy. At the highest levels each punch or kick combo will plant Seeker heads in walls twenty feet back. Mwhaha. The finishing moves are particularly brutal as well.

I haven't even *tried* the game on the highest difficulty setting. I've heard that even with all of your powers off the bat that each enemy can be as hard as a mini boss... :eek:

7. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    Hmm I guess I am the only one that LOVED that one level when you were in that car.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I can't drive these things.

I just left Earth...or whatever it was. It went boom :(

9. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    The majority of the jeep stuff was fun. But it was a comedy of errors trying to jump that first canyon. I must have missed it eight times... all while being shot at by that one dropship. :p

"Damn apes are persistant aren't they George?"

"I just left Earth...or whatever it was. It went boom."

Earth is already gone Valyn, slaughtered, along with every other human colony world. Edumea was the last human world in existence. :(

"The Seekers are the ones who destroyed your ancient homeworld."

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The fiancee's remarks while I missed the canyon weren't very encouraging either--"And I thought I was done dating stupid men." :mad:

*sees cutscene*

ooh...I learn to use the Force...

11. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    I saved Ethan, blood is thicker than breasts as the IGN guide man said. [face_laugh]

Besides, Marin's not bad at all. ;) [face_devil]

One of the best comedy moments in the game comes up during your "force training" I won't spoil it though. As a minister I thought it was quite hiliarious. :D

12. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    Marin can't be that bad at all if she is the main character in the upcoming Prequel PSP Game

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Bugs have forced me to restart levels here and there or load checkpoints, but other than that, this game is awesome.

"It isn't easy being God." :cool:

14. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    Interesting bits on the religion angle:

Gideon is a jewish name meaning "Great Warrior"

Marin means "ocean loving" also I think it's related to Mary.

Ethan is also jewish, means "steadfast"

15. Jourdamayne

Jourdamayne Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2004
    brought the game off of Ebay for a good price under $20. like the story that's unfolding so far, loved the jeep driving part of the game and i think i have all the powers, just got that Timeskip power where Gideon does a power thrust like leap that knocks down the opponents, now so far i've had the game freeze up on me twice.(don't know if it's because the previous owner's wear and tear, my Xbox is only a month old. so i had to start over again from a saved point.) and the 360 view you get with the left or right thumbstick sometimes locks up so i have to go from 3rd person view to first person point of view to unlock it. but other than that i'm loving the game. does anyone know the reason why the contest and the downloadable content part of the game was cancelled?

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I just beat the game. Wow.

I had no idea that the story would be different depending on who I saved in the first chapter, though.

I saved Olivia, so my villain was Ethan.

What about you guys? And which way do you think makes the story better?

17. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Is the game worth purchasing?

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    It's only for about $30 now.

But it can be a pretty fast play if you give it a good week's attention. So maybe you could just rent it.

I bought it, and replay value varies...as there are some levels in which it's just badass to play through again with your powers.

But if you don't care for that sort of thing, then you should be able to zip by it with a 1-week rental.

19. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Personally, I liked it when I saved Ethan, because it sets up a whole, "ultra human bitch fight" between Olivia and Marin which will probably happen in Advent 2 or 3. :p

Have you unlocked all your powers yet Valyn? I actually didn't even realize you could "charge" your attacks until after I beat the game. The shockwave punch and Aeon beam strike were the most spectacular ones I missed.

I had a feeling the floating humans at the begining of the game were tied to the Seekers quest to destroy humanity. It seems the Koreom though, are a poser/spin off race of humanity trying to pretend that "they" are true humans. They claimed that humanity wouldn't bow before their Godhood, so they hired the Seekers to kill them all. I'm betting though, that they were actually jealous of mankind's true potential and thus wanted them eradicated so that "they" could claim the credit of being gods to the other races in the universe.

Given that Gideon "killed" or at least crippled Oliva (who possibly was indoctrined or genetically altered to become one of them) proves that his power is greater.

20. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The only attack I was able to charge was the surge one. How do you charge the others?

As for the powers I have...here they are:
    Lift
    Surge
    Aeon
    Negate
    Shatter

I think I'm leaving out one, but I don't remember...

Were there any more?

Also, I couldn't understand a single word evil Ethan was saying when he came before the Senate, so I have no idea what that was all about.

Can someone tell me?

And who are the Koreom? I've never heard of them before (probably because I couldn't hear a single word Evil Ethan was saying).

21. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    You have to hold the fire button apparently to charge the attack. At Aeon pulse's highest level, it fires a huge beam of aeon energy instead of the bubbles. I don't have time at the moment to boot up and play to test it, but I asked the question on the official board under the name Paladin1607.

As for the Koroem...

***SPOILERS FOR ADVENT RISING ENDING******

Koroem: Hello brother.

Gideon: Ethan.

Koroem: This drama has gone on for long enough. You look upon a true human my
    children. Your collective histories, your countless religions, all bear
    witness to me. You know this to be true. The beauty of my divine form has
    been worshipfully rendered by your artists since time immemorial. This small
    hairy thing which stands before you today is the pathetic of remnant of an
    over ambitious race which were too proud to worship me and my kind. They even
    dared to emulate our divine forms. This crude blasphemy--this sacrilege--was
    too abhorrent for us to allow. They were warned, they were commanded, yet
    still these arrogant fools ignored our council. We concluded that only the
    most stringent actions could end this order. We enlisted the faithful N'Kul--
    whom you aptly herald as Seekers--and commanded them to clean this arrogant
    race from off the face of our galaxy. I come here before you today to absolve
    them of any crimes. I come here for another reason as well, my children, to
    return from the shadows of power, to retake our throne of stars, to rule our
    scattered children once more. Rejoice, my children, for your gods have
    returned.

Enorym: No! This is a lie! I have seen the true power of humanity! This
    creature intends to deceive us...

Gideon: No!! Enorym!

End spoilers.

It also says "Kill the Koroem" in the mission objectives section in the menu.

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Cool! Thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.