main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adventure Games, A Dying Genre

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth_Weirdo, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I love adventure games, especially the one made by Lucasarts. We know that there's going to be some sequels to old classics like the Sam & Max Hid The Road 2. But is there any way the help this dying genre? Or do we have to stick up with the old classics?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sadly, with the move to 3D, a lot of the Adventure games seem to be going away...

But Deux Ex 2, Full Throttle 2, Sam and Max 2... they should all be great. :)

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    The problem is with most adventure games is the fact that when you complete the game to the ending conclusion, there is no replayability factor. Some adventures games have done some random stuff, different endings, different items to solve puzzles and such.

4. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    As long as at least one copy of Monkey Island sells a year, adventure games will never die.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The problem is with most adventure games is the fact that when you complete the game to the ending conclusion, there is no replayability factor. Some adventures games have done some random stuff, different endings, different items to solve puzzles and such.

Right -- which is one of the reasons I LOVED Deus Ex so much... essentially infinite replayability.

But the lack of replayability in some aspects is a draw. If I want a great story that I know I can burn through in about 90 - 120 minutes, I'll pop-in Full Throttle and kick some tail.

6. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Ah, anyone remember Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis? There were so many ways you could complete things! It was almost frustrating.

7. President_Scroob

President_Scroob Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 25, 2003
    WHatever happened to games like Sonic adventures. all i know is Zelda better not stop. as of now i want the cube version of Ocorina of time

8. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Right -- which is one of the reasons I LOVED Deus Ex so much... essentially infinite replayability."

I agree. I look forward to Deus Ex II with open arms. :)

9. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "as of now i want the cube version of Ocorina of time "

Well if you would have pre odered Windwaker, that wish would have been fulfilled. Even with the Master Quest which is like a re-vamped version of OoT. I don't know if you ment like a total remake, like they did for Resident Evil, but the Master Quest is on Gamecube. Oh and check out Windwaker, it may look stupid, but I can assure you its loads of fun and a great Zelda game to add to the series.

Forcebewitya!

10. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    so dues ex is good???

i haven't heard much about it....

11. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Recently in Europe, a Spanish adventure game has been released. It has been a real pleasure playing it, although it was quite easy. It's called 'Runaway - A Road Adventure', but as far as I know it hasn't been translated in English yet. But it'll eventually happen, I guess, given the success it has so far.

There's Broken Sword III coming up soon, too.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Deus Ex was one of the finest blends on genre games that I've ever played. It was a first-person shooter adventure game wrapped up in a Cyberpunk CRPG.

The ONLY problem with the game was that, despite its non-linear gameplay, there was still a forced path to take within the game. They are fixing this in the sequel... ;)

You should be able to do what you want, when you want, how you want.

13. President_Scroob

Mar 25, 2003
    If you like adventure games alot you should play everquest. its online too so that makes it more fun

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    EverQuest is NOT an adventure game. It's a MMORPG. Big difference.

15. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    BAH!! I cant believe no one has mentioned Space Quest!! The Space Quest series FAR surpassed Monkey Island, imho, getting more games out than monkey island, and having a better story and Roger Wilco is just plain the MAN!! www.sq7.org is a site where there are a bunch of guys making their own space quest game, space quest 7, but they havent been getting too much progress on it. They are not funded at all for it, and all of the people have jobs that they go to, so they are working on sq7 like 7 hours a week. Not too much for a game... But if they would make the game, then my dreams would be fulfilled... I loved Space Quest. In my opinion, i think it was the best Adventure game ever. Though ive never played Deus Ex before, so i dont have a totally developed case on my side...

Any other Wilco fans out there?

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    *** YOU HAVE DIED ***

I loathe the sierra adventures. Every last one of them.

And isn't Deux Ex actually a FPS with a plot, rather than an adventure game?

Anyway, as far as the genre being dead, don't forget the games in development;

Psychonauts
    Longest Journey 2
    Sam & Max 2
    Full Throttle 2

A great site to hit for the latest is adventuregamers.com/

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Deus Ex is a quasi-adventure game because of some of the elements. The genius of it is -- it's a quasi-EVERYTHING type of game... FPS, CRPG, Adventure, etc...

And there's a TLJ 2 coming out?!? Rock on!

18. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    My favorite adventure game of all time is The Adventures of Willy Beamish. Another Sierra classic. I love that game.

I got to disagree. Adventure is a broad genre, and games like Everquest falls into that category. It has RPG elements and is online, but it is still an adventure game.

Same way I consider the original Zelda to be an adventure game.

Anyway, I think older adventure games do offer replay, because many of them were so hilarious.

19. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I used to play Larry 1, Space Quest 1, King's Quest and Police Quest. These games actually helped me to learn English. I need to go to buy some of those classic games like all the Monkey Island games.

20. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Does anyone know if Broken Sword II is good? I bought the first one several years ago and I liked it. Does the second one continue the good storytelling and quality?

21. President_Scroob

Mar 25, 2003
    well i consider final fantasy to be a great adventure game i dont know if you guys condider it to be adventure though.but thats how i look at all Rpg's. But who knows when the next one comes out. in small ways itll be a little dumb because its supposed to be total online and you build members of your team from other people. if any one has info on it please say so.

22. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Jedi Learner : BSII is good, and graphically and... 'enigmatically' on par with its predecessor. I did not like it as much as the first one, though, but that's probably because of the places you visit. I think the Templar atmosphere felt better than the Aztec/Maya (don't remember which) atmosphere. But that's personal.

Final Fantasy games are mainly RPGs, but the depth of the stories makes them closer to an adventure game than a traditional RPG. Some will disagree with me on that, though.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yippee! I found The Dig at a pawn shop yesterday for NZ$4 (US$2).

It's the last post Monkey Island 1 LEC adventure I'm yet to play. I've been trying to track it down for years. :D

Point & click goodness...

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Dig rules.

Pay attention to who created the idea.
    Then remember which company created the movie "Deep Impact."

Notice a connection?

So the question remains -- which came first, the idea for the game or the idea for the movie? ;)

The Dig and Bioforge were two very good games that came out around the same time, both in the sci-fi/adventure genre...

25. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    We need more of them. Like Castlevania.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.