main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adventure Journal ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Stilts, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stilts

Stilts Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2004
    Are the short stories printed in the SW Adventure Journals worth the time and money? I've read all of the short stores in Insider and all of the ones reprinted on Hyperspace but I don't want to track down all of these books for some stories that aren't good/necessary if they are not worth it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Some are. A good many were reprinted in Tales from the Empire and Tales from the New Republic, which can still be found on store shelves pretty easily.

It isn't all of them, but if there's one you really want, you can get on eBay and find the individual volumes.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    If you really want to read the stories, I'd say yeah, they might be worth it, although I've seen them for 10 to 12 each, so it's kinda pricy.

4. DarthBale

DarthBale Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    I've got a couple. I enjoy them.

5. Stilts

Stilts Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2004
    Yeah, I've looked on ebay and they are always at least $10 a piece with alot of them going for way more. The problem is, I like to be as complete as possible with my reading of EU material but some stuff just doesn't have any impact at all on continuity. I figured the most important stories had been put on Hyperspace anyways. If those stories have alot of relevant information in them, then I'd like to track down as many as possible. Otherwide, I'm not going to bother.

6. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    It took me a while to find them all, but I finally finished my AJ collection a few years ago. Personally, I think they're very much worth the money, even at $10 a pop. Just don't buy them all at once and your wallet shouldn't feel it too badly.

7. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Yep, gotta agree with Nathan here: they are very much worth the trouble (although most stories do not feature the Big Three). But inside is a myriad of information regarding species, events, ships, etcetera etcetera... For me, the Galaxywide NewsNets (early version of HoloNet News) alone were worth the prices I paid for them on eBay...

8. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    They were $12 brand new, so $10 on ebay is not that bad anyway.

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Is there a full list of them anywhere?

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Give me a little bit, Excellence. I know of a site that lists PDFs of the contents for the Gamer and AJ issues. I think the Rancor Pit might also have a list of all the covers for the AJ.

11. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, finally found the site I was looking for with the PDFs and I got Rancor Pit's list of WEG books. Looks like both list a total of fifteen. Don't know if there were more than that, but the fifteenth looks to have been released just before they filed chapter 11. Anyways, if you're intrested the following two links will let you check out the covers and see what was supposed to be in each one

The Rancor Pit's WEG book list

Kerk Korpil's WEG book list PDFs

12. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Just when you think you've got almost everything...

15 adventure journals to track down and who knows what of the other ones have quality stories. Anybody?

I wish LFL would just make more Tales collections. They have a whole ton of WEG, Gamer and Insider stories to make them out of.

13. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    They claim they didn't make any money off the Tales of/from anthologies so there was no reason to put them out. Personally, they were always great books and while I might have waited on some of the novels (in the past pretty rare), I always picked up the Tales of/from novels as soon as I saw them.

Oh, I was just checking the PDFs for the Adventure Journal. Don't bother with the one for issue 13, they screwed up and gave use issue 11 again. No clue what was supposed to appear in issue 13 for stats or fiction.

14. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Knight

Copy the link to the Adventure Journal 11 pdf, change the "11" to a "13", and it works. It's on their server, it's just not linked properly.

15. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    And then there's ofcourse the RPG-stories by WEG-authors in the various Challenge and Polyhedron magazines from the early nineties!!!

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Awesome, Knight! There's some good ones that never made a Tales print, but you can't have too many of the same author, I know.

17. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Always happy to help when I can, Excellence. And JoruusCbaoth, thanks for the advice. I'm gonna check the fiction titles in 13 now.

18. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    15 adventure journals to track down and who knows what of the other ones have quality stories. Anybody?

Although I have all 15 Adventure Journals, I have not gotten around to reading through all of them. If my memory serves, there were typically 4 or more short stories per issue, thus a lot more short stories than made it into the two "Tales of" collections. Some of the stories that did not make it are pretty good.

There are also some short stories spread out in the WEG RPG sourcebooks. I know for sure that Tim Zahn has a short story in one of them. Mike Stackpole was supposed to have one in the cancelled X-Wing Rogue Squadron Sourcebook. I know for sure there are more.

19. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Yup. Mist Encounter is by Timothy Zahn. One of the ones I most want to track down.

20. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Zahn actually had two Adventure Journal stories that didn't make either of the collections, one was the aforementioned Mist Encounter, the other was Command Decision. They can be found in #7 and #11.

Command Decision meshes nicely with Side Trip, showing Thrawn's first mission to the UR aboard the Admonitor with Captain Niriz and Commander Parck. Mist Encounter is set before that, with Parck as a VSD captain shortly after Episode III.

21. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I meant that Zahn has a story that appears in one of the WEG RPG books other than the Adventure Journals. I believe it was in the DarkStryder boxed set or one of the add-on books for that campaign.

22. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Saga begins. I just asked about it days ago.

23. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    There are also some short stories spread out in the WEG RPG sourcebooks.

Not to several short stories in the old SWGM that WEG did specifically for that magazine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.