main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adventures in Home Recording, Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by William_G_Matthew, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William_G_Matthew

William_G_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    Has anyone here built a recording booth before? I'm looking into it, but am having trouble with what approach I should take. I just need something small enough that I could disassemble it and take it to my new place if I move, but large enough to fit a drum set inside, even though the majority of my recordings will be on a guitar.

Are there any good websites or books that anyone can reference to me by any chance? I haven't found too many in-depth web pages on Google.

Thanks a million.

\__Will__/

2. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Hmmm, I'm only going to answer this question because it may have relevance to others here but honestly you should be checking out music forums outside of TFN.

Some friends of mine created their own studio. But it's certainly not portable. They created their studio in their basement. They partitioned it into thirds. One third was their recording booth, the 2nd third was where they set up their control room and the third partition was just general space. They framed the whole thing out and then put up sheetrock (don't know if they got permits or not but I doubt it). But the key element is putting up soundproofing materials. You can buy that stuff from some music stores, but not all of it is cheap. Another option is milk cartons. Some people use that as an affordible alternative.

If you want something portable and more affordible I'd suggest using a small room and just applying the soundproofing along your existing walls. However, I'm not sure how you'll be able to apply it to the walls. If you play the drums more than likely you will get a lot of vibration and the soundproofing may break free from the walls if you don't staple or nail. But if you don't want to put holes in the wall...well..I don't know if tape will work or not.

Another option might be to buy tall foldable cardboard displays like the ones they use at conventions and apply the soundproofing foam to that. But you'd need quite a few of those.

Either way, you're more than likely looking at an expensive project depending on how you decide to do it.

Keith

3. William_G_Matthew

William_G_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    I've priced out the current route I'm taking to be $2000 including electrical fixtures and ventilation, but it's not something that can just be taken down if I move. Hmm... Maybe a recording porta-loo or something :D

\__Will__/

4. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Yeah, if you frame it you're looking at big bucks. But like I was saying if you attach them to some tall display stands that fold up, that might be something to look into. It won't be as good as soundproofing the entire room, but it would still probably work and give you some freedom when/if you move. You could always flip the cost of building the studio into your taxes also. If you're a working musician, that's tax deductible under personal use of home and you could have it as a perk for someone who might want to buy the house in the future if they are a musician.

Keith

5. Sith_Hunter

Sith_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2001
    In my experience in regards to vocal recording. A unidirectional mic will block out quite a bit of background noise, and you won't have to go through all the hassle of building a sound proof booth. For instruments, thats a whole different deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.