main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advice for Captain Typho

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Figureman2, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Figureman2

Figureman2 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2005
    Hey everyone. It's been a while since I posted at TheForce.net forums, but I'm in need of some help, and I know that this is the best place to ask for anything relating to Star Wars.
    I recently returned from Comic Con, and I had a wonderful time. I realized, though, that all the people wearing costumes seemed to be having more fun than I was. Why was this? All the people in Star Wars costume were being photographed, talked to, and approached by beautiful women... or handsome guys, as the case may be. I said to myself "It's time for me to get on the cosplay scene."
    My friend and I go to school at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, and he, too, is a big Star Wars fan. He informed me that he was interested in joining Echo Base in Maryland, and that sealed the deal.
    After discussing character possibilities for a while, we agreed that I have both the right build and appearance (but unfortunately not height) for Captain Typho.
    Here's my problem: I am a total newbie when it comes to cosplaying, and I would like to make a really convincing Typho costume. Where do I begin? Can you guys and gals give me some pointers? I want the whole nine yards - suit, blaster, and eyepatch.
    Sorry the request is vague, but I think you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance.

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Welcome to the forum! :)

You might want to start by reading and/or posting in this thread: Naboo Military thread. Beyond that I would start by collecting as many reference pictures of the costume as possible and studying them. A book came out last year called Dressing a Galaxy, The Costumes of Star Wars by Trisha Biggar. It contains wonderful close-up photos of Naboo military costumes, including Typho, with fabric descriptions. Actually, the book has nice photos of his ROTS costume and just one small pic of his pilot costume from AOTC. Which one do you want to make?

His ROTS costume is described as thus: "He (Typho) wears a similar coat in blue faux-suede with a darker blue leather vest, worn under a burgundy leather cap-sleeved overcoat." (pg. 79)

Are you going to try to construct this costume yourself? If so do you have sewing experience? If you do then I would start looking through commercial pattern books to find ones (probably costume patterns) that are simliar enough to alter into what he wears. Even if you don't sew now's a good time to learn! :)
    His costumes have leather gauntlets and gloves that might be tricky if you haven't sewn or worked with leather before. You could try to find a seamstress in your area or a leather worker who you might commission to make some or all of the pieces.

A good place to ask would probably be the Echo Base members in Maryland. They may know of costumers in their group or in the area who could assist you. :)

Sorry I can't be more specific about how to make this. I don't have any experience making the 'boy' SW costumes. :p

3. Figureman2

Figureman2 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2005
    Thanks for the starting tips. I have some experience sewing, but only with cloth. I don't think I'm cut out to work with leather or anything like that just yet.
    I have a lot of experience woodworking, which I know will be useful for the blaster, but that's really secondary to the costume itself.
    My mother is an excellent seamstress, although I'm not sure how keen she is on working with leather, so I may have to commission the more difficult pieces.
    In either case, we have a lot of sewing equipment and a lot of pattern books, so I'll look through them until I find a good starting point. If you guys have any more tips, I'm open to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.