main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Advice for someone struggling to get into the NU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Droid, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I know how you feel. It feels awkward switching from old canon to new, but keep in mind, its better overall for what Star Wars has become. The Legendsverse had too many inconsistencies. For the most part, new canon has excellent synergy. To be honest with you (Ignore all naysayer), but you should start with Heir to the Jedi. Its a great read.

masterskywalker likes this.
  2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I want to get to that, since I tend to like YA stuff, but I can never seem to find it in Barnes & Noble.

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    i've never seen them in stores, I bought them on Kindle. would definitely pick them up if i ever saw the hard copies, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I found mine in W. H. Smiths.

5. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. The Old EU had so much lore it was carrying on from that even when it got weird (LOTF/FOTJ) I still devoured everything that came out, because it felt like it was really expanding the universe into the future. Obviously that isn't happening in the novels now, because we have movies instead which I guess is a fair trade-off. The New EU novels are largely tie-in, which doesn't preclude them from being good, but takes away some of the charm for me personally. Also it seems that there is a higher proportion of junior-oriented novels in the New-EU, even the ones that are supposed to be for "adults", like Bloodline

My favourite so far has been Battlefront: Twilight Company, really enjoyed this one, and hoping Luceno can pull it back with Catalyst

revan772 likes this.
  6. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

That one flew under my radar... partly because it's not on the book lists I check for, and partly because it focuses on a section of the Rebels story that doesn't appeal to me personally... however, I see that Jason Fry is writing them, and I really enjoyed his YA books that were tied to "Journey to the Force Awakens," so I might have to give these a shot!

7. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    There actually isn't that much connection with Rebels. There are indeed touchpoint scenes that parallel a couple things in an episode or two from another perspective, but they are 98% their own story. And it's a great, fun, heartbreaking, fascinating story. (And they're technically middle grade, not YA - same as his JTTFA books)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I found my copies in B&N back when the series was being released.

9. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

They are ace - you won't be disappointed.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the Poe Dameron comic although it is a bit on the "jokey" side but I think it totally works and it hits the heavy stuff real well.

Lando miniseries is fantastic, same with Anakin and Obi-Wan (all by the same writer), some good dark side stuff in there and Lando makes a great contrast to the supernatural evilness happening, basically making it a horror story and Anakin and Obi-Wan has a decent main plotline but the flashbacks are where the book really soars, and the art is great.

The Han Solo mini recently has been a hellova lot of fun too. Just go between those 4 comics and you should find something in there.

spicer likes this.
  11. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm having the same struggle. The old EU (particularly the NJO series) is very nostalgic to me and were more exciting to me than even the movies!

The only new-EU book I tried to read was Aftermath and I was so disappointed that I didn't read anything else afterwards. For fear of sounding like a whiny cry baby, I will not go into all the reasons why I didn't enjoy the book, but Wendig's writing style didn't do it for me.

Maybe I am expecting too much out of the new EU, especially since we are only a year into the new material. With Episodes 8 and 9, plus all of the standalone films, I understand that major plot points cannot be expounded upon in detail in the new novels. This was part of the attraction for me in the old EU: major plot advances that were only available in the novels and comics. For instance, Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Ben, etc. were all fascinating to read about considering who they were and what they were doing.

I may try Bloodlines. I have read some good things about Claudia Gray...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Read LOST STARS before BLOODLINES.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.