main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advice for those looking to buy tickets on EBay

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by TheDarthVader, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    There are, a lot of tickets on Ebay, as I write this, there are 41 listed under star wars marathon. With the sheer volume of tickets to choose from, auctions to choose from, and different auction finishing times, it will be hard to decide, when to strike and where:

If you are a seasoned "ebayer" please share some of your wisdom here.

2. MattZitron

MattZitron Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    www.esnipe.com

I've used it before and it works.

3. Si_Snootles

Si_Snootles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Two things over-inflate prices on ebay.

1. The seller uses an alternative account to up the bid on his own item.

2. Unexperienced ebayers start bidding far too early and create "auction fever".

It seems both of these are happening with the marathon tickets.

There is absolutely no point bidding up unto the last moment, and then, put in the higest price you are willing to pay. It doesn't mean you will have to pay that amount.

The fans that want the tickets are pushing the price up by creating a panic or fever bidding 9 days out, rather than waiting.

It will calm down hopefully, but it will take a few days. Already we are nearing the end of £4-500 tickets.

4. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    i can see that pattern, the only one fear i have is, the supply of tickets seems to be equilibrating around 40 available. Once many of these £400 - £500 auctions elapse over the next two days, the amount of listed tickets will fall, eventually this will cause a panic buy as fans fear the supply run dry.

5. Parm

Parm Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2005
    I have the same fears.

"1. The seller uses an alternative account to up the bid on his own item."
    This one is entirely true. Seeing a lot of it, and it's really making things worse.

My girlfriend and I did make 2 bids, but it wasn't long before it went way out of our budget.
    I continue to check eBay all the time, but at this rate, it's getting worse rather than better.

6. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    i suggest, everyone sets up their own fake account to place bids, when the person contacts you have won, state, you want to pay in person, in cash and less then the bid-price as the previous bids were fake.

7. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    This will certainly get you banned from ebay, and the seller will sell to the next highest bidder.

The thing about ebay is that items tend to find the right levels. If people bid them up artificially then no real bidders bid and the auctions are often pulled by the seller. You've got to remember that according to UCI, a hundred thousand calls were received at 9am on Monday, there are a LOT of people out there that really want to go.
    Also that this is a premium item. If you've got £100 spare to see the latest movie 3 days before it's on general release anyway, then £500 isn't that much of a further stretch. I think the best chance for anyone after ebay tickets is to watch for low Buy-It-Now auctions and take them quickly. A pair went on Tuesday for £450, whoever bought those might well be able to double up if they wanted to resell.

The other thing to consider would be turning up at about 6:30 and trying to find a tout in Leicester square. Reason being that without attending ANH and getting stamped, the passports will lose a hell of a lot of value, so touts will be keen to get rid of them by 7am?

8. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. You sound like, you have had a lot of experience in this situation, did you try and buy EPII premiere tickets or something like that?

9. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    No I'm just a genius ;)

I'm a mod on another forum that resells PCs on ebay. I reckon putting the word out offering something like triple face value might get a lot of response from people who have spares and don't really want to go to ebay.

I still haven't decided what to do with my spares yet, would be made easier if people on here would answer their PMs, but will probably be ebay eventually now, can't afford to turn down that sort of money :(

10. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    you have spares?

11. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    i would happily make a good offer for your spares.

12. Parm

Mar 23, 2005
    Step aside Vader...LMAO!

Spares, spares you say? hmmm
    Me me me me

13. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    hey yoda, step back, or I will set my master on you. I may be afraid of yaddle, but, i assure you, my master sidious is not. i dont think he has the same problems with the ladies that i do.

14. Parm

Mar 23, 2005
    If we ever get tickets Vader, we'll have to share them.
    I'm sure we could both squeeze into one seat, we'll slip into a Vader costume and nobody will know.

15. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    LMAO, it is sure lonely in here. I once thought of starting a lonely harts chapter just in my suit. What would your girl friend think of us getting that close.

16. Parm

Mar 23, 2005
    She'd be fine as long as she had her own seat and we didn't disturb her lol.

Don't get in the way of her and Star Wars!

17. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    i just got a second chance offer, for one ticket at £301, is that too high, will they be going for less later on, or will the price go up?

ie - what should i do, buy or wait?

18. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    I think we'd all be guessing really in answer to that. Might go up, might go down. I think that's not a bad price right now, as a lot have been going a fair bit higher than that.

19. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    email sent

20. Need2SagaTickets

Need2SagaTickets Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Just got a pair (making my username obsolete but meh) - £697 inc. postage.

21. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    Need2SagaTickets, did you get the tickets from sbright?

I just got a ticket for £358. Should i, back out or is that as cheap as they come?

22. Number11MosEisley

Number11MosEisley Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    S bright still has her tickets but wants £1000 for two !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Shocking price. No way can i afford that.

23. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    should I stick with my £358 ticket, or should I pull out and hope they get cheaper?

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    rules reminder

You cannot use these message boards to sell any items - sorry, but those are the rules.
    (furthermore, it's really poor show to use these message boards to try and make a profit out of the real fans)

My suggestion to anyone watching would be to contact users who want tickets OFF THE BOARDS - ie not by posting messages here, or using PMs. View their profiles and contact them via IM or email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.