main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advice From Vets

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Kenneth-Morgan, Sep 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenneth-Morgan

Kenneth-Morgan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2000
    A question for all of us (myself included) who went to Celebration I (a.k.a. "Wookstock"):
    What advice would you, as veterans, give to those who didn't attend Celebration I, but are planning to attend Celebration II?

To start things off, I offer this simple bit of advice: Bring an umbrella, just in case.
    Trust me.

Your turn...

2. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    One bit of advice I have is wait for the lines to die down at the store.
    I remember waiting several hours to get into the store when I could have been doing other stuff. The things I bought ended up being available on the net over the space of a year.
    The lines eventually died down so there wasn't much of a wait by the last day.
    My advice is that there is plenty of other things to wait in line for that's much more worthwhile and one shouldn't be worried about them selling out on the shirts there's plenty.

3. Kenneth-Morgan

Jul 6, 2000
    Anyone else care to contribute?

4. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Although I didn't go, I'm sure after hearing the complaints and that they are taking a lot more time to plan this that...there may be more stores, maybe just 2 instead of one, and that the control of their exclusive products is going to be stiffer.

I'm sure they don't want anyone frustrated again :) But these are just assumptions. Don't take my word for it :p

5. Captain_Pete_Solo

Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    Was at Denver and got soaked. I know that this is gonna be diffrent then the first one, because it's gonna be indoors. What I remember was waiting in line for everything. Average wait was 2-3 hours. But what I remember was being part of something special. I got to meet people from all over the states and the world. Just be prepared to be amazed.
    Pete
    www.swssa.com

6. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Well heres my tidbit.

Learn to make friends fast in the lines.Thats what me, my best friend, and husband did. We met a TON of great people and plus they were nice enough to let us stand under there umbrella!

See everything is gonna go back to bring an umbrella. ;)

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, bring an umbrella!
    And, find out if they will be 'sweeping' rooms after each guest speaker. In Denver I remember sitting through a few hours of speakers just to insure my seat for Ray Parks' presentation. Well, right before he was scheduled to go on, they sweeped the tent and made us all leave because they had formed a line of people outside waiting for Parks. (There had been no line that I knew of for the other speakers in this particular tent up 'til then and they had NOT been sweeping the tent either, and needless to say EVERYONE in there was real upset!) Therefore, I did not get to see Ray. :(

8. Kenneth-Morgan

Jul 6, 2000
    Anyone else?

9. whojedi

whojedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    I was at Denver and live in Indy, trust me when I say that the ONLY time you will need an umbrella is when you are walking to a restraunt or hotel that is not connected to the convention center. All of the facilites are indoors and connected, so even when they clear you out of a room between functions, you will never be outside.

One tidbit from the first Celebration that might help is to bring a bag or carrying item of some sort to put all of the free items from vendors that will be distributed. Alot of people simply weren't able to carry all of the items and handouts that were given.

Also, while it is always a good idea to carry some small amount of cash, almost all of things that you might be interested in purchasing at the Celebration (merchandise, photos, ect.) took credit or debit cards. I would hate to see anyone bring a large amount of cash for those things and then lose it or not bring enough and then be stuck.

Finally, when you look at the program or schedule, make a plan on what you would like to see and when. There were alot of people at Celebration I that would stand in line for a while, only to get frustrated and leave to go to another line, only to wait for even longer. Once you commit to something you want to do, stick with it and enjoy it. Then move on to the next item you want to see. Just to let everyone know, ALL of the merchandise that was being sold at the Celebration was still available on Sunday. No need to waste time on Friday or Saturday in line for merchandise when you can do it later in half the time.

Hope this helps a little. See you there!!!

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Thanks for the heads-up! I'll see everyone there. Name is Krash...tall...brown hair...glasses... orange "X-Wing Squadron" with a big "X" hat...3-day pass...hanging around with a 15 year old sister. If you see me in line come and say hello!

11. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    I say definaly make friends in the lines. Its great to meet other people, plus with the lines being long at times, you can go off and take some quick pics of something or go to the rest room, and vice versa for them. It really helped last time. Also, if you go to the store, dont buy the toys and stuff, just the Celebration items. I got the impression that the figures that were sold at un-goddly $ at Cele I were going to be hard to find one in the public. Yes you can buy them 2-3 days before they are in major stores, but I say save your $ for Celebration items and hold off and get the others at Target, Walmart. Well hope to see you all there. The only beef I have with this Celebration is its not again in Denver, man that was nice to get soaked and tired and to sleep in my own bed at night. Looks Like I have a road trip coming up this time. Cant wait.

12. MOJEDI

MOJEDI Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2002
    Bring an empty poster roll.
    Also, one thing about the lines -- at Denver there was a LOT of line jumping. We waited in line for four hours (in the rain) to see Ray Park and about 100+ people jumped in line ahead of us at the last minute.
    They would have one person stand in line, while five or six went into the auditorium for the preceding presentation. When that one was over, they came out the side door and got back in line with their one friend. We were able to get in, (we were towards the front) but a lot of people did not. Pretty shabby behavior. I hope this is under better control this year.
    Anyone else have a comment on this?

13. darkjedi

darkjedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 10, 2000
    Okay, here's a friends idea that got us in to see a bunch of stuff in Denver. He brought his 2-way radios so while two of my friends waited in line, me and another friend played CGI and took in some of the cool stuff to see. (In fact I ran into Doug Chiang while 2 friends were waiting in line to see the opening ceremonies.) When they started to get close we would join them. Then later we would wait in line while they ran around.

14. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    You would think that if they were so intent on letting people who stood in line the longest get to see Ray Parks first (as in whojedi's case), that they would not allow line cutters. But noooooo, that would make too much sense.

I hope that if there is an afterlife, all of the world's line cutters have to wait a long time after death for their soul to cross over.

15. BountyHunter1

BountyHunter1 Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2001
    this will be me and my wife's first convention we just got our 3 day pass's yesterday and we got a hotel 5 blocks from the rca dome my question is this we want to go in costume on saturday bu we have never done this kinda stuff before any advice would be great

16. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    #1: Bring some cash. If anyone remembers the rain :)then they might remember that the credit card machines couldn't run due to the cords being soaked in water. I was able to buy some great items that were in limited quantities (vintage toys mostly) from many vendors due to the fact that not many people had much cash on them. I'm not talking hundreds of dollars here but realize that some vendors might not have credit card machines to begin with and others might not be able to get them "up and running".

2. Make sure to stock up on film!! Have your camera handy at all times!! Anthony Daniels seemed to love wandering through the lines at a moments notice!! Also, the costumes are fantastic and they seem to be in abundance on Friday and Saturday. I think a lot of people leave by Sunday or are tired of wearing costumes so the first two days are the best times to take "fan" costume photo's.

3. Arrive early Friday morning to get your badge. We took a cab as the shuttle buses where not running on time and I am glad we did because not a half and hour later the line was further than I could see!!

4. After the celebration closes find out what's going on back on some of the hotels.
    Don't be afraid to ask around as I found some great people to party with just by visiting everyone in line.

5. Don't be a line cutter!! That was the most annoying thing that happened.

17. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Thanks for the great advice-the storage bag and poster rolls are great ones!. I didn't go to Celebration I, but after 5 years of Dragon*cons with the same amount of people, these are great suggestions. A bag with rollers is even better. Also some comfortable shoes for standing, deoderant and breath mints<G>
    The Line cutting is an annoying situation. You think they could give out some kind of numbered tickets and those people with the tickets, get in. Sort of like the fast passes at Disney World. It would allow you easy access to at least one event. Then, once it was over, you could try and get one for another. It sure would save some time waiting in line and free up people to do other things and avoid the line cutting situation. Perhaps we should suggest this to Wizards?
    Janet

18. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    "...dont buy the toys and stuff, just the Celebration items. I got the impression that the figures that were sold at un-goddly $ at Cele I were going to be hard to find one in the public"

Absolutely! In fact, the Episode II toys are being released on April 22 at midnight (Sunday night), so unless you couldn't find what you wanted at your local toy vendors, don't waste your time in the stores at the Celbration only to pay higher prices for the same items.

19. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Totally agree with you k kanos. Also, as opposed to last time, C2 items will only be available at C2. Last time some things were sold outside of C2 and some people weren't too happy about it.

20. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    I was at Denver and the main thing I'd like to stress is, Be Polite! All the other rules are important, but I'd say, for my money, politeness is Number 1. I remember standing in line to get in on the last day & it started raining. The guy behind me said he'd hold my spot if I wanted to run back to my car for my umbrella. Upon returning, I let him & his son share the umbrealla with me as a show of appreciation. Just chatting with people in line will help when you're standing there & Nature decides to call. If you politely ask someone to hold your spot, you're more apt to get it back so you can answer the call as opposed to just up & running away. If you do that, good luck getting back in.

I also took quite a few pictures of people in costume. Always ask if they'd mind if you took their picture. 99.99999999% of the time, they'll say "Yes". I never had anyone turn me down. And say "Thanks you" after you take the picture. The only celebrity I met in Denver was Warwick Davis. If you're going to try for an autograph and/or picture, again manners help. Something like "Mr./Ms./Mrs. So & So, may have your autograph and/or picture with you?" will work a lot better the jumping up & down, screaming & shoving a camera or something to be signed in their face. I've seen stuff like that happen after concerts. It's pretty embarassing to watch.

21. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    Since C2 is downtown, the food situation is going to be a lot better, but I still thank my friend Ramon, he was a lifesaver for thinking ahead and having snacks stashed in his backpack.
    Very handy while waiting in line!

22. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    So they're not opposed to you bringing in snacks or a water bottle if its in your backpack?

23. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    May in Indiana and you can't bring a water bottle in? That would be insane!

I am not for sure, but I'm pretty confident as long as you don't bring a mini-fridge with you and maybe a cooler too, you should be fine with bringing snacks and a water bottle.

24. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Snacks are definitely a good idea. As mentioned before, a backpack or bag of some sort is a must. At SWC1, they were giving away a packet with brochures, presentation schedules & a blue nylon draw-string bag. It wasn't anything fancy, but I saw tons of people making good use of them.

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I still use that blue nylon drawstring bag! That thing rules! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.