main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advice on Graphic Novels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by E2-ED2, Apr 15, 2017.

1. E2-ED2

E2-ED2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2016
    Hi.

Have been predominantly a fan of the original movies only for years but want to get into the newest Canon Marvel graphic novels that tie into the new movies.

Just wondering would people have advice on what to order?

I've already ordered Bloodline through the library just an hour ago and want to add some more to the list.

I was searching for Tarkin but seems thats only an audio book?

Thanks in advance and apologies if I'm the millionth person to ask this. I'm not lazy I have looked into the titles of these books but what would people recommend?

Not really interested in any prequel trilogy stories. Mainly Rogue One to the Last Jedi era I think. Although Thrawn might be good?

2. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    The titles you list are all actual novels not graphic novels and published by Del Rey not Marvel. They're still canon and many of them are very good. Bloodline and the Aftermath trilogy are good for looking at the period between the original trilogy and The Force Awakens, the other titles are all set between Episode 3-6 I think so really there I guess it depends what characters you like. Whilst a 'young adult' novel Lost Stars is set during the whole original trilogy period and many people rate it very highly, New Dawn and Battlefront are also amongst my favourites. Haven't read Thrawn yet but if you watch Rebels and are interested in the character Zahn's books tend to be at the better end of the spectrum so probably worth checking out.

If you like Rogue One then check out Catalyst which will fill you in some more on Krennic and Galen Erso.

For comics its probably best to start with the Darth Vader series and the main Star Wars series:
    http://marvel.com/comics/series/19242/star_wars_2015_-_present
    http://marvel.com/comics/series/19379/darth_vader_2015_-_present

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    As Qel said those aren't graphic novels, but you can make them graphic novels by drawing in the margins.

If you do please let us know. We'll need something to talk about after Celebration.

4. E2-ED2

E2-ED2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2016
    Thanks for the informative reply Qel. Didn't realise they were novels. As I've said I'm not very knowledgeable about SW novels, comics or graphic novels. Just see a big list of what my library has. Will check the Aftermath Trilogy. New Dawn sounds good.

Yes also interested in comics.

Looking forward to getting stuck into them.

5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Darth Vader is the most essential of all the graphic novel series that are canon. There's 25 issues. If you like that, start picking through whatever your favorite characters are in checking out various series: Han Solo, Lando, Leia, Darth Maul, etc. Each of those are 5 issues, Kanan is 12, and Poe Dameron I believe is ending soon at like 15

If you wanna check out some Legends material, I'd suggest checking out Dark Empire as a foundation, but that may be an unpopular opinion around here. You can get a hardcover of all thee Dark Empire volumes in one book on Amazon or through your library system.

E2-ED2 likes this.
  6. E2-ED2

E2-ED2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2016
    Thanks IG_2000.

The cover of the Darts Vader graphic novel series looks cool. Another one on the list.

Looking at Shattered Empire it's in my local library at the minute.

Jedi Ben likes this.