Advice on this NASA demo reel.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok, I am moving to Alabama in two weeks and I am trying to get this demo reel done for the place I am applying for to look at. They do NASA animations like you would see on TV, on the news or something. I want my stuff to look really good, but I don't know how to model. So I downloaded the model that is shown in the image below. It came with NO textures which really sucked. So I am having to paint all custom textures for my spacecraft models. ON this image, I have not added the rocket boosters to the side of the shuttle's external orange tank, but I will shortly. Right now I am concerned with the textures. How do they look so far? I painted the shuttles textures in Photoshop and the tank's textures are 100% procedural. Any advice on what would be good to add to the textures? Also, WHAT KIND OF ANIMATION SHOULD I DO WITH IT? Maybe a launch would be cool on a demo reel. What do you guys think?

My Shuttle
  2. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    a launch and landing would be good, so would maybe it re entering earth...if I remember correctly from my past projects in Nasa(I used to really want to be an astronaut) is that that ship, only is for leaving the space station in case of an emergacy and it doesn't take off...I could be wrong...if you get the facts right they might hire you
  3. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Screw facts. This is just to be eye candy for the people...lol. Man, I also can't figure out how to make particles look good for the rocket exhaust. Dude, this project sucks. I hate working on it.
  4. Dezion-Karr Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks good to me. More detailed than a lot of NASA images I've seen before.

Good luck. :)

~DK~
  5. Krapitino Jedi Master

star 4
    That's Lockheed Martin's spaceshuttle, which should be replacing our more airplane-like shuttles sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Anyhoo, that looks rather great! As far as a demo reel, don't do a launch. That would be too hard to get "right" with the smoke and everything. First go far real space type scenes, like orbiting, docking with ISS, and maybe some other stuff. Focus on getting it REAL, instead of a REALISTIC scene like launch. I mean, we've never seen one of those things go up; lotsa room for trouble there.
  6. Golden-Y Force Ghost

star 3
    Screw facts. This is just to be eye candy for the people...lol

LOL, that's too funny. i can imagine watching the evening news or something and on the screen it shows your space shuttle being chased by a star destroyer.

i wish i could help you right now, but i'm still ROFL.
    when i get home later, i will try to see if i can help.
  7. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    BWAAAA HA HA HA HA!!! Golden, you shouldn't have said that my friend. Just you wait.
  8. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehe, that would be interesting.. I would do something like that b/c I'm bored, but I don't have a shuttle model :p
  9. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, in honor of Mr. Golden-Y. I bring you the second piece of art. TIEs chasing a stray NASA shuttle over Corusant(sp?)

TIEs and Shuttle
  10. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    lol pixel...I think that could work! If you were using Electric Image there is a plugin you could use but since you are using, this little cheapo program that really isn't for film ;)(j/k) I can't help you

11. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    LOL Macho, and this plug-in does WHAT? You really didn't say.
  12. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    how could I have forgotten that? The type of stuff you could use for this take off
  13. Golden-Y Force Ghost

star 3
    ROFL, looks like a weird episode of FarScape.

in terms of textures, looks great. nothing that i can think of to improve them. as for the reel, hmmm....
    the docking to the space station seems like a good idea.

oh, and maybe a simple animation of it landing on a dry lake bed in the desert. that should be fairly simple. if you need help or tips, reach me on AIM or something.
  14. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Macho, you're giving Electric Image a bad name buddy. One thing Max does have over EI is a tonne of (seemingly free?) plug-ins for just about anything.

If there is a plug-in for this effect in EI, I'd like to hear about it as well. :)
  15. TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Pixel:
    You better learn to model if you expect to get a job like that... I know several people who do those kinds of images and animations for NASA and similar agencies (and have done it myself!), and modelling is an integral part of their jobs... you just can't download everything from the net... a lot is going to need to be scratch-built...
    On top of that, this place's probably going to be looking for someone with professional experience and a degree...

I wish you luck, because stranger things have happened, but not knowing how to model is going to be a job-killer...

Fenn
  16. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    Pixel, you couldn't be MORE WRONG. NASA-heads are just as geeky about details as Star Wars fans or any other fan. EVEN MORE SO.

I suggest you check out the digital space modeling groups on yahoo. There's some damn good talent there.

Here's the link:

DIGITAL SPACE MODELERS GROUP

Seriously, because they're dealing with real life stuff, they are serious sticklers for this kind of thing.

Semaj
  17. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    daft, it at northern lights production's site, think its called Donte(sp?) but us 3dtkers can't use it, until alex can work something out...
  18. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, and Macho, there is a plug-in that does realistic smoke for a shuttle launch. The scene on Armegeddon was done in 3DS Max. Check it out....

3DS Max's AfterBurn
  19. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    how could i have forgotten about that? i'm serious
  20. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ...you have bad memory? :confused:
  21. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    no, I have a perfect photogenic one!
  22. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Your memory looks good in pictures? :confused:

Now I'm really confused...
  23. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Macho is a pimp, he knows all about looking good. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
  24. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    pixel got it right on :p Eagle, let me clarify, i ment to say photographic memory but I didn't remember that so I put photogenic...i really didn't think that but it was sorta a joke thing...
  25. CodePoet Jedi Knight

star 1
    i don't know about the "photogenic" memory, but i feel your pain on the "photographic" memory Macho...i have the problem of remembering just about everything that has ever happened to me, as well as almost every conversation i have ever had. so alas you are not alone.

- Me
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.