Chic, IL Advice please

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Amber_eyes, Dec 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amber_eyes Jedi Master

star 4
    I probably won't be able to attend
    any CF functions for awhile due to
    my car reaching the point of not worth
    fixing. Since I (obviously) don't know
    much about cars I need advise on getting
    another one. What type of car is
    reliable in your experience? A good
    value in a used car? Any and all
    opinions welcomed!

addendum: my current hunk of junk is a 94 Ford Tempo, so don't even mention that.
  2. JediLeo Jedi Knight

star 1
    it really all depends on how use use a car, that should dicate your next car ie. if you drive alot, if you drive long distances,how much money your willing to spend, how much money you have.
    One thing you should keep in mind is ford stands for Fix Often Repair Daliy, can you tell I'm a chevy fan, But seriously you might consider getting a older car because their bodies are more solid and routine maitance is easier to do, And some older cars don't require emmisions tests pre 1970 or relaxed standards.
    Oh yeah if you decide to opt for an older car the resale value can be much higher than newer cars.

If you don't like older cars go for any newer car between 3-5 years oldthat has low milage and get a car fax report, Some dealers in the midwest take flood damage car and paint them new and try to pass it off.

One more peice of advice take a mechanic with you that you can trust, or use your own judgement if something doesn't smell right leave, its better to wait and save more money than buy a headache.
  3. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    Ford cars usually self destruct at 50,000 miles...Ford trucks are usually better...
    avoid Oldsmobiles....

Pontiac still makes some good cars....a used Grand Am or Sunfire.....
    Neon is a good solid car and reasonable...easy to fix....

mostly ...used cars are a crap shoot...I can tell you that!

Amber...if the robe thing ends up at my house here in Mokena..you can take the Rock Island from the LaSalle Street Station and I will pick you up at the station in Mokena..
  4. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    Japanese cars!!! I have been the proud owner of 5 Hondas and they have all been good to me. They may be a bit pricey than US cars but it's because they are much more reliable. Hondas and Toyotas are the best you can find. But if you're into American made, go with anything GM, such as Chevy, GMC, Pontiac, etc. And furthermore, hope I don't anger anyone with this comment if they have one, don't go with Korean cars such as Kia, Hyundai, or Daewoo. They may have the best warranties but the worst reliability.
  5. JediLeo Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree Korean cars a very bad, try to find the spark plugs wires in a kia I dare, you won't they're internal, which means it'll cost a fortune just to get a tune up,and in my opion japanese cars arn't much better, mainly because they're designed to last about 3 to 5 years japan has strange laws for emision standards, the engines are design to run perfectly for a limited amount of time, and if you buy a used japanese car you might end up with a lemon, in my opion, i don't mean an offence to japanese car fans , I just don't like them.
    In general i don't like forigen cars, they cost to much to get parts and to get them fixed.
  6. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree.....as someone who works in a Service Department of a Daimler/Chrysler/Jeep dealer....and we do get import trade ins....and we do fix them....the parts prices will give you a heart attack!
  7. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course American car parts are cheaper.......so many cars need them!!! My last Honda Civic I had reached 125,000 miles on it and the only major work I had done was a tune-up. My CRV now has 65,000 and so far(knock on wood)running fine and dandy. As long as the upkeep is done, any car should keep going. But without getting into a heated debate, I swear by Japanese cars, and German too but they're a bit pricier.

That's my 2 cents worth.
  8. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Pontiac is a good buy. My Mom has a 94 Bonneville w/ 100K+ miles on it and the only serious work came after my little sister got rear ended by someone in a Honda (bent rims, realignment, brake calipers and an adjustment to the trunk - the Honda was totalled). Sister walked away w/ nothing but some rattled nerves and an angry disposition, so they're pretty safe too.
  9. TK895 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi Mary,

You know I work for a GM dealership. I have had a bunch of different vehicles in the past and I did prefer the dependability of the three Japanese vehicles that I owned.

BUT

The overseas makes have been "decontenting" their vehicles for a while now and overall, dollar for dollar most everything is even between the jap makes and GM. I don't have an opinion about FORD so I can't say anything there. Chrysler has many problems with transmissions and ac.

A grand am or sunfire could be a nice small car for you. The Grand am has issues with the brakes rotors wearing out quicker than normal but if you have them checked regularly it should be a non issue.

Stay away from the Korean cars, they have those incredible warranties because they need them.

10. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    A few years ago when I totaled my Olds Cutlass Supreme by hitting a deer I researched and researched cars for reliabiliy & customer satisfaction vs. price. The best one I found was the Acura Integra. It has the best maintenence record and customer approval rating of almost any car. I've owned 3 of them. Two 1988's and one 1986. I'm still driving the 86'. It's got 186K miles on it (112K of it I've put on it.) I averaged 85mph all the way to Va last week without a hitch. It's quiet, doesn't squeak, no oil leaks. You can pick up an older Integra for less than 3k. Other Honda's are just as reliable, but the Acura models tend to have more "luxury stuff" for about the same price.
  11. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    And in defense of American...
    my 1989 Jeep Comanche has 198,000 (over 100,000 miles put on by me)miles on it and runs like it is brand new....
    only left me stranded once....
  12. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    And, especially with these winters, you should look into a nice sized SUV, like, oh, I don't know, a Honda CRV. :) Or at least a car with enough ground clearance to get you over snow drifts. And if you're leaning towards a used car, make sure it's front wheel drive. Rear-wheel drive is horrible between November and April.

Wow, a Comanche?? Jeez, haven't seen one of those in a loooong time.
  13. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes...Comanches are as pretty scarce...they stopped making them in 1992 because they really weren't selling well...and Jeep merged w/Chrysler at the time...and of course Chrysler had Dodge....so the little Jeep pick-ups were kinda left on the wayside...and of all things nutty...my Comanche is 2 Wheel Drive...and that can be quite a challenge in snow...
    but the one thing to remember about most 4WD is that the gas mileage REALLY sucks.....the weight and drag of the extra axel really has an effect even when the vehicle is not in 4WD mode....

sadly...my Comanche is rusting away beneath my feet....literally...which is a shame cause it still runs, shifts and performs great...
  14. NIBBOR11 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I hope you don't mind a St Louis opinion. 1) A Ford Tempo (86) was my first brand new car and I had it for 9 years, it was a 5 speed and only had a little over 89,000 miles as I did mostly city driving. The only problems I had were, ummm.. well I won't discuss it. Let's just say I wasn't real good at tire maintence. 2) Buy what you can afford, my last two cars were leased vehicles, this on the recommendation of my nephew who is a Ford mechanic. These usually have good maintance records.
    But do what you want.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.