main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council-Needed or Unnecessary

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Master Salty, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Only time will tell. Nearly 30 years later, we're still talking about the films. Most of these books have only been around for a year or two, youngin'. ;)

2. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    But some books have been around for nearly a decade. They won't die out. And neither will the films ;)

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Sap, but you forget the Star Wars literature is older than the Star Wars movies. *BOOYAKA* Right back at you! :p

4. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    As if.

Published literature?

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The ANH novelization was published ahead of the the movie.

6. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    1976. That's when Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker was published. It was the novellization of Star Wars (1977), the movie that would become Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

However, unpublished Star Wars literature dates back to 1973 in the form of various verions of draft scripts and scriptments.

Star Wars literature is far older than these new Star Wars movie things. :D

7. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Ooh, literature older than movies :D

And there were several books published before all three movies were released.

8. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Far.

If you consider around a year, 'Far.' :p

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
  10. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    This is just so sad. In two plus years none of this will matter. Star Wars films will be done with and most won't care enough to stay.

Interesting that someone finally pointed this out. I dunno about anyone else, but the day the Ep. 3 novel and merchandise hits, I'm outta here.

Let's try to put this in some kind of real perspective. Would being an AC member (or even a mod) be something you'd want to slap on a resume? And if not, is all the associated stress and work really worth it?

People, ask yourselves is all this time and stress really worth it for you? I always want Star Wars to be something I spend time with because I want to, not because I have to. I realize those of you with colors will say your positions are voluntary and if you didn't want to do it you'd quit, but let's face it - you have expectations placed upon you by others simply because your name on a computer screen has pretty colors (or you have a title). Is living up to these expectations a worthwhile venture? Apparently, for several longtime mods/admins of late, the answer is "no."

When I first signed up for the JC, I anticipated exchanging a lot of thoughts and ideas on the Star Wars films, past and present. In the 18 months since then, I have found more often than not, that Star Wars discussion isn't the top priority for the staff here. Instead, it consists of creating and enforcing policy and ensuring the secrecy of the process of compiling said policy.

I do appreciate the hard work people put in to try and make this the best messageboard possible. I hope for your sakes all your work won't be in vain.

11. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    I liked most of your thoughts.

However, on this track:

In the 18 months since then, I have found more often than not, that Star Wars discussion isn't the top priority for the staff here. Instead, it consists of creating and enforcing policy and ensuring the secrecy of the process of compiling said policy

I find this to be a bit unfair/incorrect. In the Communications or JCC forums, I would agree with you. The thing is, there are dozens of forums around this place where everything about this little dream known as Star Wars is discussed and discussed. You can go into some of the Movie or Lit forums and find people in there that almost never (and some haven't) post outside of those forums, the same is true of the other side. JCC/Comms/etc.

Essentially, I disagree with what your saying in this respect. All forums are being appropriatly moderated and kept running smoothly, and that is all that is needed from the staff. Policies and drama can be as irrelevant as the JCC itself to those people who stick to the movie forums.

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I have rarely, if ever, been stressed by this place. I always make a concerted effort to have fun and not to take anything personal.

13. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    What Sape said. If stuff on the JC stresses someone out I desperately fear for his/her stress levels in the real aspects of his/her life.

14. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    If stuff on the JC stresses someone out I desperately fear for his/her stress levels in the real aspects of his/her life.

Well said, Jim.

I just needed to get a few things that had been on my mind out. I'm glad for at least the opportunity to do so.

15. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    "I don't think Josh has any intentions of closing up shop after Episode 3."

Josh only owns about 1/3rd of this site and I'm sure the right amount of money would make him sell his 3rd.

Phillipe or whatever his name is owns the last 2/3rds.

Anyways I'm just saying that 2/3rds of the population of this site will disapear once Episode III is talked about to death. The remaining third will be the socialites and the EU fanatics. Most of whom don't care about these political extravaganzas. Thus the AC will be useless anyways in 2 years.

16. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I have rarely, if ever, been stressed by this place. I always make a concerted effort to have fun and not to take anything personal.

Hehe. Good man.

17. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Sure, maybe the AC will be useless in two years. Does that necessarily mean that keeping the AC for the next two years would be useless? I don't think so.

18. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
  19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I guess I take things a little bit differently than some (or most here). I do get stressed sometimes, and do take things seriously (to a fault sometimes). Just my way of doing things, I think.

And I think the AC will continue to be useful for quite some time in the forseeable future.

20. Ternian

May 16, 2000
  21. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
  22. Ternian

May 16, 2000
  23. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I think you may need to check your info...

24. Ternian

May 16, 2000
  25. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Just out of curiosity...what exactly do you gain from mentioning this...assuming it's true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.