main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council Update as of December 4, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Katya Jade, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    |Advisory Council Update As Of Dec. 4, 2002|
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's a brief run-down of what we'll discuss:

I. Kickin? The Amphitheatre Up A Notch
    II. Fan Site Forum Proposal
    III. Concern in the Fan Fic Forum
    IV. JC Election Game
    V. Miscellaneous
    VI. Point of Discussion
    VII. Kat's Attempt at Humor

I. Kickin? The Amphitheatre Up A Notch

RidingMyCaroselOnYou and Rogue1-and-a-half have implemented The Amphitheatre Forum Debate.

Riding summed up the thread by saying, ?The idea behind this debate is simple: the entire forum gathers together in one thread to debate an issue a la a debate team format. The issue we were looking at for this first time is the concept of virtual property of music. We want to look into the Napster issue, as well as thoughts of "stealing" music online.?

Valiowk asked, ? Sounds good. Just something that I'm wondering about - do you and Rogue have any experience judging what professionals usually look out for in a debate? Or do you intend to approach it from a layman's point-of-view??

Since both Riding and Rogue have been involved in debates before and understand ?debate fundamentals?, they feel confident that the thread will stay on course.

Ironically, there wasn?t a lot of debate on this issue. [face_plain]

Participants have joined their teams and will begin the debate on Wednesday, December 4.

II. ?Fan Site Forum Proposal?

Kadue brought up the idea of creating a new forum for Fan Websites:

? The forum would act as a place for anyone who has a site, or an interest in webmastering, to come in and discuss aspects of this. Topics could range from suitable hosting places (free versus pay, advantages of the free ones in relation to how they advertise via your site); best way to design a site (free hand coding, FrontPage, DreamWeaver); the advantages of different plugins and how to get the most out of them; pitfalls to avoid when designing (eg bright yellow and black..... D'oh ;) ); resources on the net for learning more coding and scripting; what would be better: wide-ranging site, or specific focus?; etc.?

Discussion took place over this issue and some of the comments from the AC included:

Darth_AYBABTU ?I would compare this idea to something like the Costuming and Props forum. It sounds like a reasonable idea to me.?

Jedi Gred Maddux ? For some reason, I really don't see how this idea can really take off. I mean, since you're limiting advertising to one thread (which is more than reasonable) and discussing the aspects of site designing, I don't see a whole lot of varied topics being discussed, and a potential for redundancy and overly harsh site critiques (read: borderline flames).?

Qui_Gon_Jim23 ? Plus it could be interesting for those of us with a bit of web expertise but who don't run SW-related sites. It could be a great community building forum.?

Overall, the AC thought the new forum idea has great potential.

[color=mediumsl

2. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Thankyou for the update. :)

Do I go to the the Prequel Forums? Yes, but most of the stuff doesn't interest me anymore.

I've seen it all before... :p

EDIT: I got the first post in again! :D

3. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    The AC discussed the banning of JediNailbiter. While many points of view were presented, the AC members did agree with the moderators? decision on this issue.

To quote solojones, "bah."

Yes, I do visit the AOTC Forum and TPM Forum. Now that both movies are out on DVD, the topics seem more intelligent, and even more nitpicky, which I like. There is also a lot of new information that came pouring in when AOTC was released. I don't think I'll be cutting back visits to either forum soon.

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Do you go to the Prequel Forums anymore? If not, why? If so, why do you enjoy it?"

Yep, I visit AOTC all the time (of course), and I try to visit TPM at least once per day.

I enjoy it because I enjoyed the films, and I enjoy learning as much as possible about the films. I enjoy reading various speculation and discussion on various topics.

5. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I 100% agree with the ACers agreeing with the MS decision to ban Nails. How many times does someone have to get banned before it's permanent? And, if you have been banned over 10 times, you should be very aware of what is acceptable and what isn't. His post clearly wasn't.

I don't visit the PT forums anymore. I probably will again when E3 gets closer.

6. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    thanx kate :)

I go to the TPM forum when my old master links me to a thread he posted in. I've been exploring more of the JC lately, so It's likely i'll go explore those forums more.

7. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    I usually check in once a day, rarely post though.
    _jOBO

8. JangoFettClone

JangoFettClone Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    Obi Wan Kenobi: "Good Job"

Good job Katya

9. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I still post quite a bit in the AOTC forum, but I'm not very active at all in the TPM forum. I have a feeling that with the recent release of the DVD, we've had more to discuss in the AOTC forum in an intelligent matter.

Although I take no side in the Nail debate, from what I have heard, the Mods were justified in the permaban. Repeated offenses should not be tolerated and the incident that he did was utterly pointless and hurt his cause.

10. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Last I checked the Nailbiter issue was over? kthxbye.

11. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Great work, Kate! :D

Do you go to the Prequel Forums anymore? If not, why? If so, why do you enjoy it?

Of course I do. I go to Episode III, No Spoilers and AotC every day. I enjoy NSA because it's a great hangout (no offense to YJCC) and I'm trying not to be spoiled this time.

As for AotC, I'm still not tired about discussing it. And I dunno why that is. ;)

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    What the? I must have missed something, nailbiter banned? I'm in the forums all the time..goes to show you can't see everything.

EDIT: Ah, I found out. Too bad.

13. Master-Mishima

Master-Mishima Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I go into AOTC fairly regularly, but I dont always post. The more I think and discuss it, the more I am convinced that it is quite possibly the best SW movie to date. It is invigorating to get others' opinons on it as well.

Master Mishima

14. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I try to go to the prequels forums about once or twice a day, a bit more if there is a topic I'm interested in, but right now AOTC seems full of a lot of stuff I've already noticed or discussed, and Episode III only has a few threads which pique my interest. IMO, there are days when the TPM forum could possibly be renamed "Basher/Gusher Central" as it seems that is all that ever goes on there.

15. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    good update; thanks. :)

16. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "Do you go to the Prequel Forums anymore? If not, why? If so, why do you enjoy it?"

I visit 3NSA the most, but I only read AOTC and TPM. I don't like the atmosphere in those forums, they feel hostile. I visit them everyday, but rarely post.

17. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Do you go to the Prequel Forums anymore? If not, why? If so, why do you enjoy it?"

Of course I do. Last I checked, this was a Star Wars forum, a place to talk about the movies. I know, I know, it's a stretch, coming here to actually talk about the movies, but that's my primary interest in this forum, not some "mafia" game. I lost interest a long time ago in the YJCC because of the general silliness and immaturity prevelant there. Sure there's some of that in the movie forums, but at least it's on the basis of the movies and not some made up game.

18. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Great update, Katya. :)

I sometimes read the AOTC discussion, but I don't post. This is mainly because although the discussion is interesting, I doubt I have anything productive to add - everything I have time to get involved in has already been debated. I, too, think the forum feels a little hostile, and it seems harder to bring up relevant points and get involved than it is in a more relaxed forum such as JCC.

edit. ca'nt s pell

19. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hi Katya! :D Nice update. Good job. :)

As far as the Prequel forums go, I lurk in there all the time. I hardly ever post though. I just don't feel as I can add anything worthwhile to the conversation. :( But I do read what's going on. :) Interesting stuff, sometimes. :)

Btw, I love Mace Windy's colors! ;)

JPK

20. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I tend to echo Gay-Len's opinion: I visit 3NSA the most, but I only read AOTC and TPM. I don't like the atmosphere in those forums, they feel hostile. I visit them everyday, but rarely post.

It's been a long time since I've entered the prequel forums and actually posted there actively; my last post was an extremely long one, but it was in response to a very old, classic thread that remains as my favourite. I find that what's being discussed in some of the new threads is just old discussion being brought up again; for me, it's as though those topics have already been covered as far as I am concerned, and I'm not that interested in going through it again. But more so I find that the lack of people I actually know in those forums makes it harder for me to feel a real part of me there. Maybe I miss the old days, maybe I'm just sentimental.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Nice update, Kat.

I visit the prequel forums at least once a day. As others, I very rarely post there anymore. Most of the interesting and intriguing discussion seems to already have taken place. I am looking forward to the incoming spoiler information, hopefully making the 3SA a bit more interesting and some educated and informed topics will be started. Otherwise, the prequel forums hold no interest for me to actually post in them, but I do lurk there often.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    To quote solojones, "bah."

Plagerism!

:p

Dolt ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i don't think i have posted or visited the preqs or movie forums with any regularity for at least 2, maybe 3 years

24. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I go to 3NS every day, and post there if I have anything pressing to say.

I used to be a TPM regular, back in the day, but stopped visiting as often because the threads would often be repeated every month...it just started turning me off. Now I only go there when the urge hits me.

AotC....well, I went there in that magical time after the movie opened here, but before it opened in the US and Europe. It was so nice....calm posting, good discussion. Then the movie opened in the US and Europe, and the forum just got way crazy...I've hardly been there since.

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If anyone has any complaints or suggestions regarding the AOTC forum, please let me know. I'm trying to make the forum as enjoyable as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.