main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council Update for the week ending December 19, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Qui Gon Jim23, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Advisory Council Update for the week ending December 19, 2002
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

or

How to follow an update by UKS --(UKS EDIT)Sex God and UberLoveIdol, Master of all Skills, Pele style footballer, massive intellect, overwhelming modesty and possibly the greatest living human being since Our Lord said "Say, this cross is a bit heavy.."(/UKS EDIT)-- without looking like a total idiot

Step 1: Gather information from reputable sources ? such as YodaJeff or Katya_Jade
    Step 2: Don?t actually read any posts that respond to said update.
    Step 3: Most Important ? Whatever you do, do not ? I repeat do not attempt to appear humorous in any fashion.
    Step 4: As a rule of thumb, write notes to yourself reminding yourself of these steps.

Follow these three simple steps and you should make it though the update keeping the inevitable ego bruising to a minimum.

(Note to self: don?t try to be funny)

Now, on to the update:

I. Advisory Council Standard Operating Procedures
    II. Private Administrative Forums
    III. Moderator Standards
    IV. Forum Evaluations
    V. AC4 Nominations
    VI. Hostile Takeover
    Point of Discussion:

I. Advisory Council Standard Operating Procedures

There was continued discussion on the AC Standard Operating Procedures document compiled by Darth_AYBABTU regarding voting rights and procedures. We hope to have this ready to display for the entire JC by the time of the final AC Update for this term.

(Note to self: UKS is untouchable, don?t even think about it)

II. Private Administrative Forums

YodaJefffff brought back to the table the idea that there be another private forum created where regular members who had brought ideas forward could discuss it DRAMA! free with the administration. The response of the AC was best surmised by Darth_AYBABTU:
    "Like jp-30 mentioned, I think it would be more advantageous in the long-run if we made the Communications forum more accommodating to these sorts of discussions."

(Note to self: resist the urge. It?s for your own good?)

III. Moderator Standards

Once again the debate over whether the administration should be held to a higher standard than the regular membership reared its ugly head. It as a whole has been expressed by those involved (both AC member and moderator) that anyone with a title or colors should be held to a higher standard when it comes to on-JC actions.

(Note to self: urge too strong. Maybe just one little joke can?t hurt.)

IV. Forum Evaluations

The forum evaluation idea brought forth by Jedi Accepted Arbitration Today was once again revisited, and the AC is in the process of dispersing to various forums to unleash its own brand of criticism and witticism on the unwashed masses.

(Note to self: it?s your funeral?)

V. AC4 Nominations

Nominations for the next AC are ongiong, so those of you that would like to serve should be sure to get your gifts and favors in before the end of the week. Remember that any bribes given after the 20th of December are non-binding, so be prompt.

(Note to self: You're on your own. I'm going to get a drink...)

VI. Hostile Takeover

It has been brought to the attention of some AC members that Darth_AYBABTU and his parent corporation, SRB Industrial Reformatting, will possibly be attempting during the holidays

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Nice work Jim, but don't quit your day job. ;)

3. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Hearbal Essence[sp?], I've got the urge...

Good update though!

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Step 1: Gather information from reputable sources ? such as YodaJeff or Katya_Jade"

I'm a reputable source?! :cool:

Good work, Jim.

And before I get pounced on for my bad idea I had (I did mention that I had reservations when I posted it), I also suggested (later on) that it could be a public forum as well. The main point of the forum was to discuss major forum changes, which sometimes (IMO) require more than one thread to make sure all the specifics are worked out.

5. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for the update.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nominations for the next AC are ongiong, so those of you that would like to serve should be sure to get your gifts and favors in before the end of the week. Remember that any bribes given after the 20th of December are non-binding, so be prompt.

How are nominations done again? I know I've probably asked, but I'm having a really blond day today and can't remember (NOTE: I am blond, I'm not just having a day...)

7. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    We'll be posting those rules with the AC SOP when the other sections are approved.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We'll be posting those rules with the AC SOP when the other sections are approved.

Well, with Nominations for the next AC are ongiong, it was more a question of "Should WE be sending you nominations, or should YOU all be nominating US?"

That sort of thing. :)

Or is this a big secret ( :cool: ) until the SOP is announced?

9. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    No, the nominations are made by current members of the Advisory Council.

10. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    There's no reason for mods to worry about Spoilers for non-SW things. If you don't want to be spoiled for it, don't go into threads or read posts about it.

¤Night

11. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    (Note to self: don?t try to be funny)

Well, I guess you succeeded there, Jim :p

YodaJefffff brought back to the table the idea that there be another private forum created where regular members who had brought ideas forward could discuss it DRAMA! free with the administration.

This does sound a little familiar...but apparently a little different to the idea brought up by some amazingly sexy and intelligent member a while back.

Do you feel spoilers for movies other than the Star Wars films are a problem at the JC and should they be moderated?

Nah, just make it clear in the title that there are spoilers in the thread, then it should be fine...SW is the priority, not other movies.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There's no reason for mods to worry about Spoilers for non-SW things. If you don't want to be spoiled for it, don't go into threads or read posts about it.

Well... this is a nebulous area. The "Star Trek" thread on YJCC is one BIG thread of Star Trek discussion... but spoilers for Nemesis started hitting the thread early and without warning. If I hadn't seen it already I would have been pissed.

Catching yourself and not going into CLEARLY marked threads is one thing... being accidentally spoiled is another. 'sides, that particular spoiler even made it into the F.A.D.A thread on EUC! Without warning!

I think the spoiler rules should be the same -- one month in normal threads and all other places where not CLEARLY marked "Avast all ye faithful, abandon all hope for remaining spoiler-free, ye who enter here!"

Violations that are reported should probably be a warning or a small spank depending on the infraction.

13. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    The way I see it, I'm here because of Star Wars. I don't want to have to watch for spoilers from movies that I don't know or care about.

If you want to avoid being spoiled for a certain movie, avoid all threads on that movie. It's as simple as that.

I don't think you're any more likely to be spoiled in a random thread than you are to be spoiled by reading the newspaper or having a casual conversation with someone else.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If you want to avoid being spoiled for a certain movie, avoid all threads on that movie. It's as simple as that.

Right. But what about spoilers for movies in threads COMPLETELY devoid of meaning to that movie?

Or general threads that MIGHT encompass that movie?

Or someone posting "ROSEBUD IS A SLED!" as a title? (or other, more recent twist, etc.)

15. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Jedi No Longer A Brave?

Umm, he accepted salary arbitration today so that means he'll be in Hotlanta for another season.

16. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "But what about spoilers for movies in threads COMPLETELY devoid of meaning to that movie?"

You also could get spoiled by reading a newspaper article completely unrelated to that movie. Or by having a casual conversation with a friend or co-worker.

"Or someone posting "ROSEBUD IS A SLED!" as a title?"

Thankfully, I've already seen Citizen Kane. Otherwise, I'd feel spoiled.

17. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Avoid JCC, Amp, and Senate. If it's not in there, it's off topic and the mod should lock it.

Now I'm not saying they shouldn't have common sense about this, spoilers to TTT in a title should be edited, but punishing and policing threads for spoilers is not in your job description. If you want to do it and put the spoilers in blue on blue or something fine, it's your life, but don't punish people for it.

¤Night

18. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    You also could get spoiled by reading a newspaper article completely unrelated to that movie. Or by having a casual conversation with a friend or co-worker.

Or by watching an Episode of Letterman where he plays with toys...

19. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "Or by watching an Episode of Letterman where he plays with toys..."

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was an episode of Leno. :p

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Thankfully, I've already seen Citizen Kane. Otherwise, I'd feel spoiled.

The spoiler period, last I checked, was one month. ;)

Those places don't have RULES about spoilers. This place does.

Avoid JCC, Amp, and Senate. If it's not in there, it's off topic and the mod should lock it.

If you take the Communication FAQ literally, you have "Please note that spoilers are not allowed in any other forum other than the 2 spoiler forums." which would make that rule applicable everywhere (as opposed to the other SW Movie Forums, for which it is obviously intended).

And many of the Forums do have their own spoiler rules. If EU Lit which has a specific one-month period has something posted in it outside of actual Literature, which nevertheless remains in Lit for other reasons, that violates the spoiler rules and is not Star Wars -- is THAT not allowed?

Why would the YJCC Thread Index mark those with spoilers and those without if there's not some rhyme or reason to it?

And more importantly, why would we want to limit everyone from visiting JCC, Amp and Senate? Is it THAT hard to police spoilers in non-marked threads? (I'm not being flippant, I'm curious -- is it really that difficult?) If there's education about "Post spoilers in spoiler-marked threads only!" wouldn't that cut down on 98% of the problem?

21. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    Umm, he accepted salary arbitration today so that means he'll be in Hotlanta for another season.

Well, seems you should've said something about twenty minutes ago then, huh? ;)

22. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    The Communications FAQ refers to Episode 3 spoilers, not spoilers for every single movie.

"Those places don't have RULES about spoilers. This place does."

Right now, there are no board-wide rules in place regarding spoilers for non-SW movies.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Right now, there are no board-wide rules in place regarding spoilers for non-SW movies.

Right... I thought that's what we're discussing? :)

This place has spoiler-rules, but they're not global and thus selectively enforced. One could post one spoiler on YJCC and get banned for it in any of the SW Movie spoiler Forums, the Author and Artist Forum (which applies NON-Star Wars as well) or EU Lit.

This is why I think we need global rules here -- even if there's some loose standard defined. Inconsistency is probably a bad thing when it comes to spoilers.

24. Xie-mas

Xie-mas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2002
    I never saw Citizen Kane. Thank's for ruining my life.

25. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Just so you know, it was a sled.

And Vader? Luke's father.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.