Advisory Council Update for the week ending December 19, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Qui Gon Jim23, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It is courteous to post spoilers on any topic with [ hl ] tag masking

like this

It's courtesy, it's polite, it's common sense, it's nettiquite.

If more people weren't in such a rush to hit "Post" and took the time to put a bit of markup into their posts, there wouldn't be an issue.

So how about we don't ask mods to moderate spoilers in non-SW movie topics, but instead the users should learn courtesy, learn how to use [ hl ] to mask spoilers, and learn how to make this place more enjoyable for others.

Having said that, if you're so hard-core anti-spoilers, how about keeping away from internet messageboards until such time as you've seen the movie. Don't worry, we'll be fine without you, and we'll be here when you get back...
  2. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Would this apply to ANH ESB and RotJ?

Or does it only apply to current movies?

And what about current movies based on older works? We can't discuss tolkiens works because someone who hasn't seen the movies might stumble across it?

Here's an idea, if you wanna look, read the book.

3. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Having said that, if you're so hard-core anti-spoilers, how about keeping away from internet messageboards until such time as you've seen the movie. Don't worry, we'll be fine without you, and we'll be here when you get back...

Have I offended you in some way that you feel the need to say that? [face_plain]

The topic for discussion was:
    Point of Discussion:

Do you feel spoilers for movies other than the Star Wars films are a problem at the JC and should they be moderated?

And yes, I think it is. I'm not advocating some "Spoilers can never be present ever" policy. But if the question was asked, and people are answering it -- why are you getting bent out of shape? EU Lit has a one-month period. So does A&A. SW Movies has complete forums dedicated to it. How long is it until AOTC spoilers can be posted in the AOTC Non-Spoilers Forum, or is the answer never?
  4. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > Have I offended you in some way that you feel the need to say that?

Not at all.

What I'm suggesting is that instead of trying to moderate / restrict everyone else's behaviour when it comes to spoiling a movie, it's a lot easier to modify your own behaviour to avoid situations where you will be spoiled, if it means that much to you.

Edit 1. > But if the question was asked, and people are answering it -- why are you getting bent out of shape?

I'm not bent out of shape. I'm putting forward my views on the point of discussion.

You'll notice I also addressed the other side of the issue; the issue of courtesy, asking those who do post spoilers to be kind enough to learn how to mask them. If everyone did that, people who would like stricter policies on non-SW spoilers would also be happy.

Edit 2. EU Lit has a one-month period. So does A&A. SW Movies has complete forums dedicated to it. How long is it until AOTC spoilers can be posted in the AOTC Non-Spoilers Forum, or is the answer never?

The thing is all those forums you mention are Star Wars forums. That's part of running a Star Wars site - having spoiler policies to foster Star Wars discussion. But it's not part of a mod's job to moderate non-Star Wars spoilers. And why should it be?

At the time AOTC spoilers were allowed in the Non-Spoilers AOTC board, the spoilers & non-spoilers AOTC forums were merged, so I'm unsure what your point is there.
  5. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    You'll notice I also addressed the other side of the issue; the issue of courtesy, asking those who do post spoilers to be kind enough to learn how to mask them. If everyone did that, people who would like stricted policies on non-SW spoilers would also be happy.

Right. But you can only modify your behavior (as I can only modify mine). *We*, the two of us (plus others, of course), might be courteous in our spoiler posting -- either with text masking or with properly marked threads -- but why is it then *we* that would have to worry about being spoiled by entering random threads.

And as I was saying -- I'm not talking about clearly marked spoiler threads OR threads specifically geared towards a particular movie (or book or video game or... etc.) but general topic threads (like the Buffy or Star Trek threads which encompass the whole mythos and all shows/movies) or completely unrelated threads (even those beyond YJCC). If those people don't modify their behavior, why should the rest suffer?

The thing is all those forums you mention are Star Wars forums. That's part of running a Star Wars site - having spoiler policies to foster Star Wars discussion. But it's not part of a mod's job to moderate non-Star Wars spoilers. And why should it be?

Except the A&A Forum specifically mentions "No spoilers from ANY of the author's books" within the one month period are allowed. Thus we've already got one counter-example to that. And the EU Lit forum also, I believe, does not allow spoilers, even for non-SW material, within a one-month period of release.

At the time AOTC spoilers were allowed in the Non-Spoilers AOTC board, the spoilers & non-spoilers AOTC forums were merged, so I'm unsure what your point is there.

I was unaware of that. :) My question was "When were spoilers allowed?" then. I was unclear on when/if that restriction was lifted.
  6. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I think of it as a courtesy for users to black out spoilers in a thread or leave a few blank lines in front of them, but not a requirement. There should also be a difference between posting a spoiler in, say, an LotR thread, and posting a spoiler as a thread title in all caps so everyone who enters the forum sees it.
  7. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    There should also be a difference between posting a spoiler in, say, an LotR thread, and posting a spoiler as a thread title in all caps so everyone who enters the forum sees it.

What would that difference be and would there be a penalty for it?
  8. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    with the express reason and purpose of the takeover being to install UK Sullustian as official Staff in Charge of All Administrative Updates.

Actually, if Darth_AYBABTU did that, I'd veto him and vote you instead, Jim! ;) [face_mischief]

Oh, and in case you all didn't get it, Jedi Accepted Arbitration Today is JGM.
  9. JediPrincessKas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    :eek: You mean I missed the deadline to get my bribes into the AC members???? :_| Darn it!!!

:p Nice update, Jim. :) Thanks a lot. As far as the PoD goes, I don't feel that spoilers for other movies should be moderated. As long as people make sure to let others know that there are spoilers, it should be fine. Like others have mentioned before me, this is a Star Wars site, and I don't want to be spoiled for Episode 3, so I don't go to the Spoilers forum (ok, I have to admit, I lurk in there every now & then...). But as far as other movies, I don't see it as a big deal. :)

Yeah, I didn't get the Jedi Accepted Arbitration joke until I read JGM's post a little after the update. :p Hehe, but after that it was kinda funny. Sorry Jim, but your urge to not be funny didn't succeed. :p

JPK
  10. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Oops... I'm late. [face_blush]

What would that difference be and would there be a penalty for it?

I think in some cases, there should be a penalty. I know I would be mad if I went into Community one day and saw a spoiler for a new movie I wanted to see in a thread title. Where should the line be drawn? Should there be a time limit on how long members should have to give the rest of the JC to go see a movie/read a book?
  11. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Where should the line be drawn? Should there be a time limit on how long members should have to give the rest of the JC to go see a movie/read a book?

I'm personally fond of the "one month" period for spoilers. That's a reasonable amount of time for a) people to expect to not be spoiled and b) people to keep their mouths shut.

But again, threads that are clearly marked "Spoiler" are open game for any and all spoilers. I don't think anyone would argue with that. :)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.