main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council Update for the Week Ending November 21, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Qui Gon Jim23, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I think that pointing new literature users in the direction of the Newbie Adoption thread in Welcome is a good idea.

Lisa, perhaps the match-making you mentioned in your previous post could be taken one step further. Any user who is willing to adopt a newbie could say -- when they sign up in the adoption thread -- whether or not they are experienced in the literature forum. That particular adopter's interest in Literature could be mentioned in the list of available adopters. Linking new literature posters to the current Welcome Adoption thread would then lead them directly to someone with similar interests, without the need for multiple adoption threads in every forum that feels a need for one.

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    You'll be thrilled to know that even know the AC is discussing a "Hair of Famous People Collecting Forum."

Does that mean it would be a forum about famous people who collect hair, people who collect famous people's hair?

Amazing.

3. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    The problem that comes with that is micro-managing.

The spirit of the thread, when I inherited it, was much more relaxed. People came in and said they wanted to be adopted and oldbies posted that they would adopt them. It was first come, first serve. One person kept track of the names of who had volunteered, who was waiting to be adopted, and the successful pairs.

When I inherited the reigns from Angel5000, I decided to add links to that list so that the newbies would have a better way to check out the oldbies before they agree to be adopted by anyone. But, I didn't want to do that work for all the newbies. If one contacts me that they are too afraid to PM an oldbie themselves, I will step in and do some research for them.

I like to keep it more relaxed, with only a few rules and requirements. But, that has been because the thread wasn't in any way "officially sanctioned" by the administration. If the mods want it to be more involved, I can do that, but I would like to also have the backing of the mods in any changes I make. I don't have any real authority, only the respect that the oldbies and newbies give me. So my rule about oldbie 'age' is only as effective as long as the particpants accept it.

I can try to organize the list differently. Perhaps, when oldbies volunteer, they can give me their favorite 2 forums. I will divide up the list into separate forums, and list under each all the oldbies who have told me they frequent it. That way newbies will immediately have a good idea of who will best be able to help them while adjusting to the atmosphere and flow of that forum. Plus, they may find people who share several of their interests.

Newbies can also start making more 'introductory' posts. When they ask to be adopted, they can also say what forums they are thinking of visiting.

4. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Gay-Len: I must have misread what you had posted. Sorry 'bout that.

But I do like the idea of putting one or two favorite boards with the olbies' names.

Mel

5. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I can try to organize the list differently. Perhaps, when oldbies volunteer, they can give me their favorite 2 forums. I will divide up the list into separate forums, and list under each all the oldbies who have told me they frequent it. That way newbies will immediately have a good idea of who will best be able to help them while adjusting to the atmosphere and flow of that forum. Plus, they may find people who share several of their interests.

Newbies can also start making more 'introductory' posts. When they ask to be adopted, they can also say what forums they are thinking of visiting.

I understand the need for a relaxed feel to the adoption thread and a limited number of regulations, and I think the two ideas you mentioned above are good ones. The newbie intro will be especially useful -- not everyone introduces themselves in their own thread outside of Adoption, and even so not all of them say which forums they are interested in. Yet the thread may become hard to keep track of, if users who want to adopt lose interest in the forums they have chosen, and so do not know it's current state... But I suppose that that's not too much of a problem, and the adopted user would have learned a lot by then anyway. But I'm just saying that if it takes up too much time, then perhaps it's not worth the hassle.

edit. Spelling sucks.

6. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    It wouldn't be too tough. As it is, I have to check in with a large number of volunteers that come by once, never adopt and never come back. They sit on the list for a few weeks to months, and I have to contact them about if they are still interested. It would be almost the same thing with checking up on forum interest.

As it stands now, anyone who is added to the list has to let me know they are interested, whether its their first time or they are newly free from a recent adoption. I can contact via PM anyone who says they wish to volunteer and either ask for the info or ask them if what I have is still true.

7. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I don't think the current newbie adoption is fine and shouldn't be tampered with. It rocks :)

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Gay-Len, you have my full support. :) You've done a great job with that thread in the last months. :)

I like the idea of pointing newbies from other forums to the Adoption thread, and Oldbies listing one or more "favourite boards" when they sign up for an adoption. If you think you can handle that... great. :D
    If I can do anything to help you besides updating the first page, let me know. ;)

9. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Thanks! :D

I am always open to ways of making it run smoother, but I am going to wait for some word on this. It's running fine as it is, the list isn't too hard to manage. But if it is decided to put links in other fourms, we may get more traffic and organizing the list by forums might be necessary. I don't want to expend that much effort if it doesn't happen. You know, 'if it ain't broke ...' ;)

10. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i demand that teh Underwater Basket Weaving forum be created immediately! no more excuses! ...or heads are gonna roll.

[image=http://www.iowc.org/1998/images/belfast-riot.jpg]
    NO UBWF, NO PEACE!!!

11. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    oh dear.. he's on Teh Warpath now...

just give him some reeds and a "Little Mermaid" wading pool and let him have his forum...

12. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
  13. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    goodness, if Pie stages a revolution, does that make me Madame DeFarge???

14. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Guys, try to keep this on the discussion at hand. Thanks :)

15. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    EDIT: whoops. wrong username. ;)

16. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    relax, carosel.

...and besides, the UBWF is one of the topics of this AC update, ya know. ;)

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It was a mistake to mention that forum in the update . . . :p

18. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Hey, we're all about openness here. :D

19. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    Pie has a point. It IS in the update, therefore it can be discussed here...

20. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    niceupdate, so anyway, how goes the Moderator Reviews? are they still happening, or have they been axed?

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    JGM recently restarted the program and did his first moderator interview a couple of days ago. There should be details in next week's update - or, if you can't wait that long, perhaps Jason will be kind enough to drop by and talk a bit about the program. ;)

My nearly typing "pogrom" instead of "program" there was clearly a non-Freudian error.

22. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    If I'm not mistaken, I'm in charge of next week's AC update, so I can do it then. :)

23. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Sorry, pie.. Just was in a stricter than normal mood the other day ;)

24. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    all is forgiven....this time. :p ;)

25. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.