main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council Update for the week ending November 7th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ReaperFett, Nov 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    It was during a time when several other forums were undergoing name changes to spice them up. The Welcome Forum became the "Welcome Jedi Younglings Place" or something. It was an effort to increase traffic. I think it did more harm to the forum than good, diluting it with non-SW topics when the place should've been a SW music haven.

2. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I can see that's how many would view that change, but what was the discussion during that time? And was there an understanding that this was not simply a name change, but an evolved forum parameters?

Just for the record, I was one of those people who opposed Spiderdevil's idea to turn the Music forum into an Arts and Culture forum. My reasons throughout these two discussions remain the same. And I have also conceded the issue of relevance in both discussions. Here's another question, has any board request ever been based upon the argument that film music gets its own forum? In other words, is this "favortism" being actively challenged?

3. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I too am interested in Bright Sith's question.

But just to raise one of my own....

if you are worried about the traffic in the FMH, wouldn't tossing these threads to the 4 winds kill what traffic they get altogether?

Again, having tried the YJCC area, many of those people and I don't see eye to eye. And, in all honesty, if you are trying to get more traffic out of the FMH type discussions, then having it as part of a more obscure board would definately hurt traffic. I think that its location in the SW Films area is what drew all of the current members.

and lastly, Lord Bane, you said:
    but film music is such a narrow category that it cannot sustain a forum, as is evident if you actually look at the Film Music Hall.

just prior to this, you mentioned that it has been around for about 2 years. Now, almost all of the active posters of the FMH have been posting there for the duration of it's life. and it doesn't seem like there has been much drop off (when you take into account the Pre-AOTC Soundtrack volume). If it has sustained itself just fine for 2 years, what makes you think that it will not for another 2?

As far as what it benefits us....just ask the fan music composers who have found each other through the FMH. Just ask anyone who's life has been enriched by looking into a soundtrack purchased based upon the reactions we read in a "8 post thread." If finding these threads was going to take a great deal of digging through 4 separate forums, I (and many like me who don't have 6 hours of online time per day) wouldn't have the time or energy to seek them all out, and would probably leave the JC for the lack of accessability.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "digging through 4 separate forums, I (and many like me who don't have 6 hours of online time per day)"

These days I spend up to 12 hours onlin (8 - 10 for the most part) per day, and don't have enough time to do such a thing.

TA also brought up the point of pre-AotC
    Was there much to discuss? I wasn't a regular in Music during that time, but there couldn't have been that much discussion about SW music - TPM was becoming old and AotC wasn't out yet.
    Yet, nobody complained, did they?
    I still don't get how the 'problem' (if there is one) arose - esp. now that its area of discussion has enlarged.

5. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    We shouldn't join the Music Hall with another one.

1) How did you find out about the Film Music Hall? And how do you think the board could generate more traffic?

I found out about the Music Hall, because I am interested in SW and other music.

2) What are your favorite threads in the Film Music Hall? Are there any you frequently check out and post in on a regular basis?
    I frequently post on The Music Tavern

3) Is there anything you feel could be done for this board that would help make the board better? If so, what?

Not sure, but it shouldn't be joined together with another board.
    I get onto the music Hall the most out of any other board. I think I have the most posts on it. We have created our own little community there, you shouldn't just take that away from us.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The Film Music Hall was created before the Amphitheatre and thos terms should never have ever been put in the Amphitheatre's description and left such film music to the Film Music Hall.

Exactly.

And why shouldn't other film scores be discussed there, as they are completely related. For example, discussing the SW music influence on Superman would be perfectly valid, even though it involves an non-SW film.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.