Advisory Council Update - Week Ending Oct. 17th, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by UK Sullustian, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    |Advisory Council Update As Of Oct. 17, 2002|
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's a brief run-down of what we discussed:

I. Discussion, Discussion
    • Discussion of various minor issues

II. New Communications Policy?
    • Fascist On-line Takeover OR Geek Anarchy?

III. Amphitheatre 2: The Sequel!
    • More Amphitheatre Discussion.

IV. AC Update Timetable
    • The Dog ate my Update.

V. Fanforce Moderating consistency
    • ?I cannot interfere? Obi-Wan: ESB

VI. New JCC Game?
    • Can you survive?

VII. ?Slacker? Unbannings.

• Good Cop, Bad Cop?

VIII. Miscellaneous
    • No, we don?t do misquotes.

IX. Last Week's Points of Discussion

• CENSUS + MEMBERS + NEWPOLL = BAD

X. Points of Discussion

I. Discussion, Discussion

There were a few issues to discuss this week:

The discussion that took place about KnightWriter s ? Does the administration go too far in moderating and create too much political correctness?? thread from last week, spawned some thoughts on having Master and Apprentice style partnerships to see if this helps the teething troubles that New moderators sometimes have. The discussion was still ongoing at the point of this post.

Qui_Gon_Jim23: ?I don't know about a two week probationary period like that, but it would make sense to have a sort of mentorship going on. Some new mods may not need it and learn the ropes quickly, but some might need a bit more on-the-job training with someone more experienced.?

There was a brief thread about the ?Slander? situation as well as the concerns about the prevalence of JCC Member to JCC Member Relationship threads.

Vertical: ?Accusing someone of something without proof (even if you THINK it's true) is slander. It's not allowed. The TOS allow for that. This really was a black and white issue, but, as said, we posted a reminder to head off the 'drama' that would have inevitably ensued.?

Our new-old Ex-mods, Dark Lady Mara , Yoda the All Powerful and farraday brought their knowledge and opinions on some older subjects like the JCC Reform, ?Alcohol tinged topics? and The ?How should the AC improve itself? threads.

Yoda the All Powerful on alcohol, (The subject not substance!):

?1) Dictating Morality
    Many of the arguments against alcohol related discussion (well, mostly, "I'm drunk and it's cool" discussion) is based upon the idea that "drinking is wrong... drinking is bad... you shouldn't drink." While I am in agreement with the general sentiment, I am not in agreement that it is something that should be enforced on some internent messageboard. Who are we to invoke banning or thread closing based upon one culture's idea of what is right and wrong? Just because some Admin got sauced and went on a banning spree, we want to start limiting topics of discussion? Keep in mind that internationally speaking, drinking alcohol is not only viewed as acceptable, but even encouraged at a younger age (see France, Italy, Germany, etc)... which leads me to...

2) Age of the Forum
    Do we really know that the majority of the posters are below drinking age. We make certain assumptions based on the threads/subjects posted, but I am constantly seeing the argument that the board age is young and therefore we are limiti
    />
  2. Charis Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Thanks for the Update UKS :)
  3. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Great update, UK Sullustian. I do find your lack of yellow and black disturbing. ;)
  4. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Thanks, UKS. Nice work. :D
  5. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    [ali_g]Respect.[/ali_g]

Good work, UKS.
  6. Anvia_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Great update, UKS. Cheers. :)
  7. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    thank you.

regarding amphitheater. It is fine. Just as some members don't go into JCC or SA or Games or other areas in the JC, Amphitheater is its own and has its own crowd. I lurk there more than I post. To surmise that it is "not productive" enough is in the eye of the beholder. The mods manage it well, and there is no "real" drama there, but maintains regular conversation. They have a peaceful corner of the great out there. Is someone making waves? I like it. Please keep it.

mac

--edited at user's request
  8. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  9. DARK_SCORE Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think I've ever seen so many serious words in a single post from UKS.

:p
  10. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

Like everything else at the JC, this update would have been vastly improved by the addition of some good ol' fashioned Yakov Smirnoff humor.

"In Soviet Russia, the Advisory Council updates YOU!"

[image=http://www.yakov.com/images/shopImg1.jpg]

AYBABTU?

11. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    jp-30 will take a leave of absence from the 21st till at least the 28th of October, from the ?Political? side of moderating to attend to baby stuff. He plans to still Ban/Delete and Edit with impunity. Gamers quake in fear. Still.

hahahahahhahh

gamers dont fear JP at all.

12. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4
    I was inches from naming this thread "UKS's Advisory Council Memories Update For 17th October Spectacular!"

I thought that would go down well.

UKS
  13. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  14. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    V. Fanforce Modding consistency

A thread was started by farraday about possible inconsistencies in the Fanforce modding standards. A frank exchange of views followed. And farraday has now taken the issue to Fanforce Communications. here!

Oops, my bad :D
  15. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Guys.... may we get some input on the Amphitheatre? Please? :)
  16. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Guys.... may we get some input on the Amphitheatre? Please?

Maybe you need to let the axe fall on it and group the stuff in there into the senete or the yjcccccc
  17. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

The content of the Amphitheatre is often quite similar to the types of threads that have always, and still do, appear in Community from time to time. Only the threads in Community are free of the pretentiousness and psuedo-sophistication.

That said, I have never posted in the Amphitheatre, so who cares what I think? The very simliar Community threads on many of the subjects meet my needs.

AYBABTU?

18. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7

Change that god-aweful name!
  19. Melyanna Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm in the Amphitheatre every day, for the most part, though I rarely post - real life has caught up with me, and it takes a lot of my time just to read through things, let alone formulate intelligent responses. :p

I really don't think there's anything wrong with it. It seems to be run competently, and there are fewer and fewer people posting JCC threads there. Sure, it'll get more efficient, but all the new forums take a while to shake out all the little things. Unless someone can give me concrete evidence that it's broken, why are we trying to fix it?

Mel
  20. Jobo Force Ghost

star 5
    I like the Amphitheater, though it may not seem it by my posting amount in it. While I do, personally, believe it should be merged with the Senate back into the JC, or at least Senate and Amphitheater together, I think just a slight loosening of the Apmhitheater rules would help. S'all.
    _jOBO
  21. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like the Amphitheatre. Let it live.
  22. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6

Change that god-aweful name!

NO. That name was an inspired creation by a true genius of the boards. Leave it.

Question....why does jps absence get announced here?Isnt it a ModSquad issue?
  23. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    jp mentioned it in the AC, so we put it in our update.
  24. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sure, YodaJeff, its good that if its mentioned in the AC, you guys tell us. I like that.

I'm worried about why the Administration dont see it fit to tell us in the ModSquad update.
  25. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    We weren't informed in time for the Mod Squad update, Dagsy ;)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.