main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council Update - Week Ending Oct. 9, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Katya Jade, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    |Advisory Council Update As Of Oct. 9, 2002|
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's a brief run-down of what we'll discuss:

I. Discussion, Discussion
    • Discussion of various issues

II. ?Statement of Purpose?
    • Posted the AC?s Statement of Purpose in YJCC

III. Amphitheatre
    • Discussion

IV. Invitation of former mods to the AC
    • Invitations sent

V. Miscellaneous

VI. Point of Discussion

I. Discussion, Discussion

There were a few issues to discuss this week:
    • When the original "Slacker Grievances" Threads started appearing in Communications, a strong discussion ensued in the AC, involving both AC members and Moderators. All sides of the arguments were heard, (Though they consisted mainly of the procedural side of listening to points made, rather then the points themselves). The discussion then flowed into the Mod Squad and back into Communications.

How many of you admins have been around longer than me and also never been perm banned?
      Bathroom Humor Threads
      Grievances
      2nd Chance: Let?s Discuss These Issues Properly

• KnightWriter asked the question, "Does the administration go too far in moderating and create too much political correctness?? This prompted a very detailed discussion from both the AC members and moderators.
    • A few items were discussed prompted by questions from the membership.
    • Questions were raised about the possibility of opening up the Census forum for regular users to post polls or at least to relax some of the regulations regarding posting.

II. ?Statement of Purpose?
    • YodaJeff posted the AC?s Statement of Purpose in the YJCC forum. Overall, the information was well received by the membership with a few questions posed about why the AC members needed titles.

GriffZ stated "As has been already said, everyone cannot have titles under the current board code.?

The consensus on this issue was that titles for the AC members are simply there to identify the members.

III. Amphitheatre
    • Lord Bane mentioned that he?d like the AC?s input, "on how to make the Amphitheatre the bang up forum we know it can be.?
    • The AC should be discussing Amphitheatre ideas over the next few weeks; RidingMyCaroselOnYou has started a thread and will be coordinating conversation between the ModSquad and the AC on this issue.
    • Please PM an AC member if you have any suggestions for the Amphitheatre forum.

• Discussion continued on the invitation of former mods to the AC. Dan said, "At the start of each term, the new group of ACers can choose how many. how long, and who they will allow in here, concerning former moderators. Each group of former mods will be given access when the ACers decide, and that access will be removed when the ACers' access is removed. The new group of ACers could then choose who they want and if they will have rotations within their term (i.e. one mod per month, then another th

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Awesome update, Kate! And thanks for doing this for us. You have no idea how much we appreciate you. :)

GO 'CLONES!

3. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    * Invitations sent

Mine must've got lost in the mail. Guess I'm still a security risk then, eh? Fantastic.

;)

Edited for obvious sarcasm.

4. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I don't know if Census should be opened up, unless a couple of mods dedicate some time to the forum moreso than usual.

I know this is going to sound fruity coming from me, but maybe a handful of CR's and VIPs would volenteer to become a Census brigade, posting more polls, but also making sure they weren't redundant.

¤Night

5. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Wonderful Update Katya_Jade :)

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

When mods resign from their position, they willfully yield the ability to opine in and view the ModSquad and the AC. What about them being former mods validates their position more or as much as those mods who have chosen to continue to volunteer their time to the moderation of the JC? I am lost on how someone's simple station as a former mod makes his opinions more valuable than any other regular member. If former mods wish to continue to directly influence the AC and ModSquad, why don't they also take on the mantle of responsibility that goes with being a current moderator? It would seem to me that they are getting a "free ride" to influence policy, while being completely free of the burden of implementing and enforcing that policy.

And a good job on the update, Katya.

AYBABTU?

7. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Pardon me for being rude, but just why are you on the Advisory Council, Katya_Jade? Nice update though.

8. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I don't think I get your question, Nailbiter. I'm a member of the current Advisory Council.

9. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Why is she on the AC? Same reason as I am - the former ACers made the decision.

GO 'CLONES!

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

She's there because of her valuable contributions to the boards, Nail. She was nominated and confirmed by a majority of the last group of ACers, including me. And what the hell kind of question is that? Why wouldn't she be?

AYBABTU?

11. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Should regular users be able to post topics in Census? No. I'm sure the forum would be cluttered with spam. You might consider designating certain mods as people who ideas for Census polls could be PMed to.

12. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Is there a reason Kat shouldn't be on it? It's made up of regular members that are well respected and smart. Where does she not fit in?

13. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Nailbiter, I'd say AYBABTU and the rest above him summed it up. Now, would you try not to be so rude and try to trust the judgement of the AC? Thanks :)

14. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Good suggestions, Jeff42 and Night. :)

15. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Well, I've never seen her before and unlike most of the other AC members she's relatively new. Sorry though. I didn't mean to be so blunt.

16. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Nails - QuiGonJim_23 is even newer than she is, FYI. Registration matters not, it's the contributions that count.

GO 'CLONES!

17. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Ah. Well, I've posted primarily in Community during my time here. Maybe that's why.

18. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    I think it'd be a good idea for them to open up Census board only if its done carefully. As Night said, it'd be good to have certain VIPs do it (their titles could be Pollsters! ;)) and to get qualified you'd have to submit like 20 good ideas for polls. I think that'd be a splendid idea.

19. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Polltergeist?

:D

¤Night

20. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Maybe Pollytheist.

21. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Do NOT open up Census. It will only be spammed to high heaven with "who do you think is hotter" and "who is Sifo-Dyas" polls. The "ideas for polls" thread is sufficient.

Rick McCallum loves you!

22. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    When mods resign from their position, they willfully yield the ability to opine in and view the ModSquad and the AC. What about them being former mods validates their position more or as much as those mods who have chosen to continue to volunteer their time to the moderation of the JC? I am lost on how someone's simple station as a former mod makes his opinions more valuable than any other regular member. If former mods wish to continue to directly influence the AC and ModSquad, why don't they also take on the mantle of responsibility that goes with being a current moderator? It would seem to me that they are getting a "free ride" to influence policy, while being completely free of the burden of implementing and enforcing that policy.

I see your point. Why should mods be given preferential treatment over regular members? This was one of the first things that came up in our discussion. However, we unanimously agreed that the pros outweight the cons.

The single, most important attribute that former moderators have is the ability to see both sides of the fence relatively clearly. They were regular members twice, and they also had experience in Mod Squad. They can act as a liaison between the moderators and ACers. It can only make our decisions on policy more effective. We also have the added benefit of getting more ideas and opinions from people that are surely qualified (being former admins, and all) for the position.

As for being given a free ride to influencing policy without the burdens of moderating; well, same with the ACers. Further, you seem to make "influencing policy" as some sort of grand thing that everybody would cherish if they had the ability to do so (which they really can in some cases, here in Communications). That really isn't the case. If they can influence policy and better the JC in doing so, I don't see how that's a bad thing.

EDIT: THANK YUO, HERMAN SNERD.

About Census: would there be a problem with opening up the polls for, say, two weeks? See how it goes? If there is an immense amount of spam/garbage, things can go back to the way they were. But if it doesn't work out that way, having dedicated VIPs or whatever to handle the polls would be a good thing to look into.

23. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Do NOT open up Census. It will only be spammed to high heaven...

It already is...

24. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I see your point. Why should mods be given preferential treatment over regular members? This was one of the first things that came up in our discussion. However, we unanimously agreed that the cons outweight the pros.

I think ya got that backwards. ;)

25. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Freudian slip? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.