main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council Update - Week Ending Oct. 9, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Katya Jade, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Would you like to see the Census forum opened up for polls by regular users?"

That just sounds like a bad idea. Polls have been turned off in so many forums for a reason.

Amazing.

2. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Great update, Kate. Thanks for the hard work.

As far as the Census Forum goes, I like the idea of opening it up for a couple of weeks to just get a feel of how it would work. Sure it would need increased moderation, but I'd be interested to see what kind of traffic it got if we opened it up.

3. Jole

Jole Jedi Master star 3

Dec 12, 1998
    Would you like to see the Census forum opened up for polls by regular users?

What reason does the AC/MS have for wanting to open it? If it's just to give the users a nifty new playtoy for awhile, then I'd say no.

On the other hand if it's to be used for board issue to get user's opinons then wouldn't it be just as easy to PM a mod to post the question?

4. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Polls open in the Census? No way. As said before, more spam than the JCC :eek: RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! :eek:

Great update, Katya :D

...and a Jango

5. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Nice update! :D Thank you.

Open Census? :eek: You have to be kidding me! That's gotta be a deathwish if ever there was one... ;) I say leave it as it is - regular users can suggest polls they really want to see posted anyway. :) It's not as if we have no say at all in the matter.

LittleJedi

6. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't think there are really that many people pining to go start a poll in the Census forum. You could open it up, but honestly, I don't think most people would care one way or another.

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    To avoid the eventual spamming that likely would take place in Census, why not limit the number of polls people can start?

According to Sebulba-X in the "How can a reg user post on a "private board"?" thread:

Just to clarify...that setting limits the total number of threads a person can start in a particular forum, for all time. If it's set to 5, Joe_Phanboi could only post 5 topics for that particular forum. This can't be changed to a daliy/weekly/monthly setting, so if it were implemented, Joe_Phanboi would have to wait until one of his old threads were pruned, or ask a mod to remove one before he could start a new one.

If people know they can create a limited number of polls, they'd be less likely to waste them. Assuming they care that much in the first place.

Amazing.

8. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I like that idea, Amazing.

My only reason for supporting the opening of Census for a trial period is to see if people actually care. If they don't, the rules would stay the same, no harm no foul. If traffic did pick up and it generated interest in the forum, all the better.

9. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Actually, Amazing does have a point. There are just two flaws:

1) Socks
    2) Removal of polls. I don't how many of you realize it (i didn't till just a month ago) but users can delete their own polls. That could lead to abuse of the system; not to mention people exclaiming "My favorite poll is gone!!!"

Of course that limit thing would have to apply to polls as well.

¤Night

10. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Thanks so much for the update!!! :D

11. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    What reason does the AC/MS have for wanting to open it? If it's just to give the users a nifty new playtoy for awhile, then I'd say no.

Actually, there's no specific reason either way right now. It was an idea that was brought up in the AC, and they decided to see what the membership as a whole thought about the idea.

12. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    The Census forum is much too full of spam as it is. If I had my way, it would be completly rid of all "Which do you like better", and "Who's your Sports Pick" polls. Early on in the days of the Census forum, it was possible to do an honest evaluation of what the average JC user was like, in terms of each of the polls that had been posted.

Now such simplicity is impossible, given the swamped and silly nature of that forum. And I say it all started with Iron Parrot's joke polls. Way to ruin a good thing, IP.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I kind of always liked Census. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.