main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adywan Cut and Its Possible Impact on Future Star Wars Releases

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bendrix, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Then Paul destroyed the legacy of The Beatles. He did that with the CD set released several years ago. Paul, George, and Ringo got together and finished Lennon's song "Free as a Bird" with enhanced Lennon vocals and new guitar and rhythm tracks.

And many music artists abandon songs during recording sessions that are recorded, then discarded, only to be brought back in new form with different music backing or different lyrics.
    It's more fluid and natural. It's not rigid.

edit: wording

edit2:

Jawa, the thing I don't understand is the OOT was released in 04. It is available. True, it wasn't the best transfer, but it was at least available. So I don't think there's as much weight behind the arguments against Lucas as there once was pre-04 DVD set. That's my opinion anyway.

And they will release them again in a box set.

Of course the smartest thing Lucas could do would be to release the OT sooner and crush the boot market, but that's a business decision.

2. BaronLandoCalrissian

BaronLandoCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2006
    STAR WARS 2011 EDITION

[image=http://www.celebritysmackblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/joan-rivers-apprentice.jpg]

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't think anyone would mind McCartney messing with his own songs as long as he kept the originals in the latest format and didn't claim that the newer vocals were the only version people could get anymore ;)

4. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I say this:

Lucas came up with the story for Star Wars, so as long as he is still alive he can make the changes he wants.

5. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Nobody has argued otherwise. We are saying it's probably not in good form to keep altering these movies every few years. In a few more decades, the originals as we knew them will be gone. That's a shame.

6. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    when fans demand the release of such items WAY ahead of intended schedule. thats what happened.

7. BaronLandoCalrissian

Jun 14, 2006
    Only deep, deep inside the Star Wars Bubble of Intense Loyalty is that "what happened". On the outside, late 2004 is not ahead of schedule for anything to come out on dvd. And there was plenty of time, resources and money to do it perfect. Most places have to do a lot better with a lot less (and do).

8. ChrissySnow21

ChrissySnow21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2009
    Jawa it is very simple. Lucas has teams of people that advise him on how to make more money. Take episode 4 for example. All the face lifts and cgi work done to improve it. Like the lightsaber blades, yet when Luke is training with ben on the falcon the blade stays the same white color. Was it over looked? Not likely. It was left there on purpose. Why? Because if you fix everything the first time around what will there be to advertise on the next release to sell the dvd? Every change Lucas makes to these films is done so with one reason and one goal in mind. Profit!

It has really grown to an almost disgusting level. Leave these films alone. If you want to make more money George how about you get out there and create a new film. Write a new book. Do something original. Stop recycling the OT films hoping to make another million off of us fans. We have met you half way already. You worked hard and created some special films for all of us to cherish and enjoy and in return we have made you and your family some of the richest people in the world. What more do you want from us? All we want from you is to stop being a liar and stop butchering these films for the sake of more money. You can't take it with you when you go george but you can leave things behind, like a legacy. I wouldn't want to be remembered as a greedy, lying one hit wonder. There is time to change that. get to work on the future george and leave the past alone. The past is as close to perfect as perfect can get.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Lucas makes his changes to suit his artistic vision for the films. If he was only about profit, he'd be happy to re-release the unaltered versions over and over again. But instead, he spends a lot of money to make these changes.

The reason he didn't make all of his changes for the 2004 release was because he hadn't gotten to all the changes he wanted to make by then. The "teams" of advisers advised him that if he waited until he was finished, there might not be a DVD market to release in. That's why he put out what he had done up until that point, and continued to make changes after that release.

Since then he has re-released them several times with no changes made, which just goes to show he doesn't have to spend money on changes to sell a new batch of Star Wars DVD's.

As far as Lucas leaving the films alone and instead making new films, you could say that's what he's doing. He told us all he was going to change them with the THX release way back when. For the people who didn't believe him, he re-released the originals again on DVD in one of the SE releases so people could have that copy of the movie. You guys have the old versions, and now he's releasing all new versions of them that you don't have to buy. Feel free to keep your copies of the original versions, it's not like Lucas is breaking into your houses and making you give them back.

Lucas doesn't want anything more from you, feel free to stop buying his new releases.

He's not a liar, he's not butchering his films, and he certainly has no way to alter the past.

10. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    lucas was asked in 1999 if he were going to bring the OT out on DVD. he said not until the films were all finished and he could release a 6 film box-set. in 2002-03 there was, as far as memory serves me, a very large petition to get the films released on dvd and, in conjunction with lucas' realisation that dvd would soon be a dead format, he sanctioned a release. one can call it astute marketing (even though there was never any statement regarding changes and these being final versions) or one can call it giving into fan demands. every time there is fan demand for something to which lucas bows down to against his original intentions/principles there is a backlash - he originally says no more SW films - people demand them, he makes them, same people dont like them. he says no dvd release of the originals until all the films are finished - fans demand them, they dont like them (they feel they are rushed). he says no dvd release of the original, untouched movies - fans demand them, they dont like them (they're not touched up to current standards). i wonder why lucas even bothers with any of us at all - dont tell me he needs the money because thats a tired and in no way justifiable accusation. he gives us a piece of art which we adore and we then lambast him in a fashion that suggests he owes us some sort of perverse life-debt for making him the person he is. it doesnt and shouldnt work like that. he can do what he wants with his own creation. you dont have to like it but you should probably just learn to accept it. i must admit though, some of these overblown statements here portraying him as evil are pretty good for a giggle. there's spitting the dummy and then there's star wars fans. bless.

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    There was a petition. I know because I signed it. It was the OOT on DVD petition. There was no word ahead of that petition that the OOT would ever come out until the PT was finished and there would be a big box set.

12. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    im quite sure there was a petition or at least strong campaign for the OT on dvd before they were released in 2004 too. it was certainly a question that plagued lucas wherever he went.

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Exactly. Up until that point there had been no word out that I'm aware of from Lucasfilm that they had any plans to release the OOT on DVD until they did the huge saga box set that Rick McCallum mentioned a few times in the press.

14. BaronLandoCalrissian

Jun 14, 2006
    All true, just remember that was a policy completely based on squeezing out X more potential VHS releases before the format died. Please save the righteous indignation about customers (there are no "fans" in this situation) complaining about a chintzy product.

15. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

He could never please EVERY fan, since all of us want our own different "perfect" interpertations of all of the movies in the saga.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    "REAL artists are making films for themselves, and no one else" is ludicrous pap. Creating 'art' without an audience in mind is the ultimate in masturbatory exercises.

Art is all about communication, whether you're communicating a story, a thought, an emotion, a worldview. And communication requires both a sender AND a receiver. If you're creating in a vacuum, with no thought of your potential audience, you're not an artist; you're a doodler.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    What you are describing is marketing.

Art, is really an expression of an artist. If people end up liking it, then it becomes successful art.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    No, marketing is what you do to get people to come experience your art. If you've done your job and created something with an audience in mind, then they won't be disappointed.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    "Having an audience in mind" is marketing.

And there is no pleasing everyone.

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    It's really not.

If I'm directing a play at a community theatre, and I add a gag making reference to a well-known local personality, that's not marketing. That's shaping a work for an audience.

When Lucas has Jar-Jar go through a lot of silly, infantile antics to increase TPM's appeal with pre-schoolers, that's not marketing. That's shaping a work for an audience.

Both examples are debatably poor artistic choices, more pandering than anything, but they ARE artistic choices, not marketing.

Marketing is when you go out and put fliers in windows, and put up a website with info on the show.

Marketing is when you make millions of Jar-Jar toys to advertise the character's role in the film.

21. Steven_R

Steven_R Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2008
    Artists change things about their art. Leonardo da Vinci changed the Mona Lisa at some point. She had been gripping the back of a chair. Now, her hands are folded in her lap. On an artistic level, Lucas did nothing more than that.

We're fans of the movies, but we're not entitled to any piece of those films. Remember when Stephen King wrote The Stand? Remember when he released a new edition a few years down the road? I happen to think the original edition is superior to the new edition. However, the original edition is out of print and will always be out of print. More to the point, King didn't think the first edition was quite right and "finished" the book with a second edition. No matter how much I complain about it, I can't walk into Borders and buy a new copy of the original edition of The Stand. King is not required to acquiesce to my demands. Neither is George Lucas for that matter. The fact that he continues to allow fans to buy a copy of the films he considers to be incomplete may be a business decision, but given that the films are not available on their own and are only available bundled as a bonus with the Special Edition seems to be more of a treat to fans than anything else.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    JKH
    Marketing is when you go out and put fliers in windows, and put up a website with info on the show.

Marketing is when you make millions of Jar-Jar toys to advertise the character's role in the film.

Yep. Marketing is getting the message out about your content, not the content itself.

But I do have to say again that Adywan's edits, if anything, have kept the whole SW DVD interest up in this period.

23. Steven_R

Steven_R Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2008
    I doubt that very much. Very few people that don't already own the DVDs are going to rush right out and buy them just because some guy on the web edited them to his own standards. We already own them. We're the choir he's preaching to, and someone walking into Best Buy looking to buy the DVDs isn't going to drop coin on a film so sucktacular that it could be improved by a nobody with Avid , and that's if our hypothetical customer even heard of the guy in the first place.

24. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    Yeah,he's keep the interest up.New edits that in many ways are superior to GL's and a purists cut.Nice prints combined with superior versions of the movies will stir the pot for sure.

SW fans have bought every version of SW before that gave them what they didn't want so I'm pretty sure they'd buy a version that finally gives them what they want.

25. ChrissySnow21

ChrissySnow21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2009
    I have a hard time finding anyone who defends jar jar. PT fan or not. Doesn't he step in crap in one scene and actually says DO-DO? I will never for the life of me understand lucas's intention in creating a character and dialogue such as jar jar binks. It's disgusting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.