main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[AFD 2008] how do i get people to stop reading my storys

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by poor yorick, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL. Notice the AFD thing at the top. :)

2. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    writeaboutpadmefallinginlovewithjarjarwithnospaceparagraphbreaksorpuncuation

itworkswondersonscaringpeopleaway

:p

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Kill off every character after a long, angsty story.

Write Palpatine/Jar-Jar romance and take it seriously.

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    It looks like there are a LOT of ways to get people to stop reading! [face_laugh] This has been a fun thread. :p

5. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Make a Leia/Ben story. Not also will you get banned but no one will read the story except some weird guy in the lit. forum.

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    No, no, write a slashy Han/Ben story and pimp it in every thread you visit that has ever talked about either character.

7. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Post in the same color as the background.

8. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    One word.

Bughugginess.

9. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    ^You know what, someone might actually read that and love it. Weird, i know.

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Not only write a Leia/Ben story....have it be a sequel to an Obidala fic. Eeeeeewww. Posting in the same color as the background only works if you use the forum's colors - if your browser is set to use your Windows default colors that wouldn't even be noticed.

Tell everyone that you write all your fics in advance so your readers KNOW that they don't have to beg you to finish it.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Post your story two paragraphs at a time. In separate threads. With no punctuation marks.

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Don't post your story. :p

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Just post the summary and the words "OMYGAWD PALPATINE IS SO HAWT! I LOVE HIM 4EVER!"

14. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Horribly mischaracterize the canon characters you're using. It doesn't matter if the protagonist is a hardened war hero or otherwise traumatized individual who has survived many years on nothing but his/her own abilities, make him/her a fainting, swooning, delicate individual who falls in love at first sight and then absolutely cannot live without his/her chosen sweetheart.

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Do what one Harry Potter fan did:

Turn Ben Kenobi into a mob boss, turn Luke into a crack assassin, have him drop the f-bomb every other sentence and be really lascivious. Then, when someone criticizes your characterization, scream profanities at them. Then write 50 chapters more of the same thing. Then when you're criticized again, tell them that you have the copyrights to everything you've written about and they can't criticize it because it's your copyrighted material. See how long Lucasbooks will take to sue you.

16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Post links to Lazy's search engine in your review replies. (And now I'm done making fun of myself. :oops: )

17. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    There's been a lot of very effective advice here. I think the options for writing poorly or choosing unpopular topics have been pretty well covered, but if you just can't seem to swing that, here are some more strictly behavioral possibilities.

1. Lament! Tell them your work is terrible. This should drive off a number of people from the start, as they will take you at your word. Others will assume you are humble or insecure and try to reassure you, but be persistent. Insult their taste, judgment, and intelligence by constantly assuring them that the stories they compliment are in fact worthless, which obviously means they can't tell good work from bad.

This is a very common method across multiple fandoms, but surprisingly inefficient.

2. Scold your readers! There are several ways to do this; I will address the two main categories.

a. Hypersensitivity. One option is to take offense at every little thing: if there's any possible way, however convoluted or unlikely, to interpret a comment as negative, assume that's what they meant. If they praise one aspect of the story, assume that means they think a different one is horrible. If they don't gush, assume what they did say was forced through lack of enthusiasm. If they leave a short review, accuse them of not really reading your story or of not being able to find much to say; if they leave a long one, pick it apart for hidden messages or wonder if they're talking down to you; if no one responds at all, tell them they're horrible people and are defrauding you of the only pay you can get as a fanficcer. (Careful; that last one can backfire, as some people are really easy to manipulate through guilt. Most readers with firm self-respect, however, will probably be tired of you by this point.)

This works especially well in a venue where people are encouraged to give their honest, balanced opinions and constructive criticism (in the correct definition of "analysis and evaluation, intended to be useful to the author and presented so as to make that clear, preferably including both positive and negative points so as to provide a direction other than 'away'" as opposed to the official use here to mean "any negative comment between the level of minor mechanical corrections and a personal insult") is widely appreciated.

b. A contrasting possibility is to demand that they find something wrong with your story. Insist that the purpose of writing fanfic is to improve your writing, and therefore the purpose of posting it must be to get other people to improve your writing. If someone dares to express approval or enjoyment, especially without elaborate justification, rip them apart! You're not doing this to have fun or entertain people, you know! Any feedback that doesn't at least point out a typo can be complained of as useless, and anything that doesn't give an elaborate plan for fixing it must be looked at somewhat askance. Be sure to ignore the fact that being told what you did right (and how and why -- a legitimate part of concrit and actually permitted here), or even simply knowing the effect you had on a reader, is also useful information; definitely ignore any possibility that reading a story for the fun of finding out what happens and how, or of feeling the emotions stirred by the imaginary events, could produce any kind of valid reaction.

(2b) may be combined with (1) for mutual reinforcement, or with (2a) to produce general confusion and a sense of being jerked around. For these boards specifically, give some thought to the choice of whether to claim at the top of your story that you accept concrit. If you don't, (2a) will be strengthened, whereas (2b) will produce an initial strong sense of shock but then be taken as permission. If you do, (2a) will be contradictory and exasperating, whereas (2b) will simply be strengthened -- though it will still seem out of place for the board culture.

Whatever you do, don't learn to accept compliments, fault-finding, or critique graciously, thank the person for taking the time to talk to you abo

18. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Write your story using not words and prose, but emoticons and smilies.

Luke :) at Han's O:), and Leia just [face_laugh] at the [face_clown]. Meanwhile, Chewie :eek: but then [face_frustrated].

-Thumper

19. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I just don't get it. You don't want people to read your story? I can't get new readers to read my story and I want them too, and I've been here almost a year now. Perhaps you can send some of those people commening on your story my way. LOL

20. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Oh, ha ha ha, AFD = April Fools Day. Boy did I get fooled! Sorry everyone, I have been gone for since December because of my studies. I must be the only moron who got suckerd as badly as I did. LOL

21. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007

ROTFLOL. And if you really don't want people to read your stories, go with what DarthIshtar last said. [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.