[AFD 2008] Limb Removal: How To Make It Fresh Again?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ophelia, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    We've seen it done a million times, in the films, in the novels, the comics, and in fanfic. Somebody gets into a fight they can't handle, and WHAMMO! They're missing a limb.

Classic limb removal can work really well if an author uses it carefully, but what about fresh and new ways to remove characters' limbs? In a world with crushing blast doors, reactor cores sitting pretty much out in the open, and who knows how many poisonous insects and parasites, there have to be a lot of new directions we could take limb removal in.

So how have you removed characters' limbs in stories?

What's the most effective way you've seen an arm, leg, or other appendage cut off in a fic?

Do you have any plans to remove characters' limbs in unusual ways in the future? If so, what are they? How do you plan on using this limb removal to maximum effect?
  2. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Personally? I like the idea of meepids. They're small, burrow under the skin, are relatively painless and, in no time, you've got characters wondering why their arms just fell off.

No muss. No fuss.

3. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    I think it's important to remember to deal with the fallout of limb removal. Excruciating pain, gushing blood, extensive surgery, etc. If you're going to cut a limb off and just forget about it, it's not really worth anything but the initial shock value.

As for creative ways to remove them, I might suggest Wookiee strength? It seems obvious, but it's talked about far more than it's actually utilized.
  4. HyperionRising Jedi Knight

star 2
    I personally plan to cut off my own right arm in order to allow me to find fresh perspectives on this subject.
  5. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sounds like a great idea! :D
  6. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    You must also remember fashion. Fashion should always dictate your limb removal. I mean, wouldn't you rather wear a bad ass leather glove rather than a wooden peg?
  7. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't think enough has been done with droids. They are willing to do just about anything you ask, after all. :D
  8. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    Sadly, this mindset has caused droids a wealth of grief; I've had to leave several fanfic sites because of their blatant mistreatment of droids. At first, it was just a limb here and there, but once the Yuuzhan Vong started spreading their doctrine of hatred, droids couldn't so much as round a corner without being subjected to gratuitous torture.

Stop the droid hate, says I! If you want to test limb removal, find a Skywalker.
  9. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    Let's not forget the NATURAL way:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Lyli/alligatorwithhand.jpg]
  10. Commander-DWH Shiny Costuming & Props Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Hear, hear! *cheers* You've summed up my thoughts perfectly on the matter of droid abuse. What did the droids ever do to anyone? I know people who won't even click on a story if they see it has even one droid in it who wasn't being tortured. This sort of character hate needs to end, and end now.
  11. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    We don't serve their kind here. [face_plain]
  12. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    Here I thought refrigeration and/or cloning was a way to keep limbs fresh and I find out you're talking about how to lope off limbs in a fresh way. We need a better thread title.
  13. Irish_Jedi_Jade Force Ghost

star 4
    My favorite would definitely be blast doors....can you imagine the next person to come to the walkway and see a hand just hangin' out?

[face_laugh]

And I agree, the wookie idea needs to be acutallized...its only discussed, but not carried out!

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish
  14. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I prefer the basics. Nothing beats a lightsaber. [face_mischief]
  15. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Me too. Since lightsabers cauterize wounds instantly, there's none of that pesky blood spilling all over.
  16. HandmaidenVeme Jedi Master

star 4
    We only hear about what the Wookiees can do...too bad we weren't able to see any of this during Order 66
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.