main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[AFD 2008] Limb Removal: How To Make It Fresh Again?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by poor yorick, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    We've seen it done a million times, in the films, in the novels, the comics, and in fanfic. Somebody gets into a fight they can't handle, and WHAMMO! They're missing a limb.

Classic limb removal can work really well if an author uses it carefully, but what about fresh and new ways to remove characters' limbs? In a world with crushing blast doors, reactor cores sitting pretty much out in the open, and who knows how many poisonous insects and parasites, there have to be a lot of new directions we could take limb removal in.

So how have you removed characters' limbs in stories?

What's the most effective way you've seen an arm, leg, or other appendage cut off in a fic?

Do you have any plans to remove characters' limbs in unusual ways in the future? If so, what are they? How do you plan on using this limb removal to maximum effect?

2. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Personally? I like the idea of meepids. They're small, burrow under the skin, are relatively painless and, in no time, you've got characters wondering why their arms just fell off.

No muss. No fuss.

3. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I think it's important to remember to deal with the fallout of limb removal. Excruciating pain, gushing blood, extensive surgery, etc. If you're going to cut a limb off and just forget about it, it's not really worth anything but the initial shock value.

As for creative ways to remove them, I might suggest Wookiee strength? It seems obvious, but it's talked about far more than it's actually utilized.

4. HyperionRising

HyperionRising Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2007
    I personally plan to cut off my own right arm in order to allow me to find fresh perspectives on this subject.

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Sounds like a great idea! :D

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    You must also remember fashion. Fashion should always dictate your limb removal. I mean, wouldn't you rather wear a bad ass leather glove rather than a wooden peg?

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I don't think enough has been done with droids. They are willing to do just about anything you ask, after all. :D

8. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Sadly, this mindset has caused droids a wealth of grief; I've had to leave several fanfic sites because of their blatant mistreatment of droids. At first, it was just a limb here and there, but once the Yuuzhan Vong started spreading their doctrine of hatred, droids couldn't so much as round a corner without being subjected to gratuitous torture.

Stop the droid hate, says I! If you want to test limb removal, find a Skywalker.

9. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Let's not forget the NATURAL way:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Lyli/alligatorwithhand.jpg]

10. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Hear, hear! *cheers* You've summed up my thoughts perfectly on the matter of droid abuse. What did the droids ever do to anyone? I know people who won't even click on a story if they see it has even one droid in it who wasn't being tortured. This sort of character hate needs to end, and end now.

11. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    We don't serve their kind here. [face_plain]

12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Here I thought refrigeration and/or cloning was a way to keep limbs fresh and I find out you're talking about how to lope off limbs in a fresh way. We need a better thread title.

13. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    My favorite would definitely be blast doors....can you imagine the next person to come to the walkway and see a hand just hangin' out?

[face_laugh]

And I agree, the wookie idea needs to be acutallized...its only discussed, but not carried out!

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish

14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I prefer the basics. Nothing beats a lightsaber. [face_mischief]

15. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Me too. Since lightsabers cauterize wounds instantly, there's none of that pesky blood spilling all over.

16. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    We only hear about what the Wookiees can do...too bad we weren't able to see any of this during Order 66

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.