main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[AFD 2008] What is up with all the VERBS everywhere?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Trace, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Seriously.

I realize that VERBS are a necessary part of life, but do they have to be in every single sentence?

We all have our likes and dislikes and to each his own, right? It?s a big fandom with room for everyone, and I?m not disrespecting the VERB Lovers, but I think I might like to see something else in the way of action words sometimes.

Does anyone else feel this way?

2. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Thank you, Trace! I was starting to think I was the only VERB basher on this site! I mean, I'm glad those who enjoy reading fics filled with VERBS can have their fun, but it seems like I can't even find a story that doesn't have them in nearly every update, dancing and jumping and saying and generally distracting the heck out of me!

Those of us who prefer to write our own parts of speech, meanwhile, sink to the bottom of the page, buried in a crowd of VERB fics and VERB/NOUN 'shippers.

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Exactly! As a self-professed Vowel/Consonant ?shipper, I?ve never quite gotten the whole appeal of the VERB/NOUN pairing. I kinda liked Ve/N in the Bantam era, but Del Rey just destroyed them. I can only handle Ve/N in AU fics now and, even then, in small doses.

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, I don't want to offend anybody who'd rather not read VERB/NOUN fics, but honestly, they're as common as they are because they're canon.

I mean, even if you discount "Attack", "Revenge," and "Return," as parts of noun phrases in Eps. II, III, and VI, there's still "The Empire Strikes Back." I mean, that's unquestionably VERB/NOUN. Also, Verbs are at least strongly implied in the three films I mentioned before. The only films that are missing Verbs entirely are "A New Hope" (which didn't even have its sub-title until 1978), and "The Phantom Menace."

Again, I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, since we're all here to get what we want out of fanfic. But since NOUN/VERB is definitely a part of Star Wars, there will always be a lot of activity based around that 'ship.

5. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *dies* [face_laugh]

6. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Verbs - that's what's happenin'.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/DarthPhelps/JC%20Misc/Verb.jpg]

7. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I is a verb [face_idea]

Don't be hatin' [face_talk_hand]

Plus, that Cade Skywalker dude gets so much action (in every SENSE of the word :eek: ) that I think he earns the status of being a Verb. That makes verbs pretty cool in my book.:cool:

8. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I kinda like verbs actually...

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I like to verb my nouns at every opportunity, as in:

"Hey! Don't Del-ray that character!"

10. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    *dies as well*

This discussion has seriously made my day!

I mean, of all the things I complain about in any fic that I write is the abundance of verbs. There are just way too many for one person to handle! How do you keep track of them all? How do you manage them?

*runs off in a fit of hysterical laughter*

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The verbs are no problem. Now, PRONOUNS! The real menace.

12. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Hallelujah! I thought I was the only Vowel/Consonant 'shipper left. (They just go so well together; just try coming up with a name that doesn't include both!) I used to like Ve/N well enough, but so many Ve/N 'shippers insist on villifying Consonant in their fics. :( Said villification just makes me hostile.

13. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Another Vowel/Consonant shipper here. There's still a few of us lurking, old-fashioned though we may be.

I have no objection to Ve/N - it's one of the less far-fetched canon pairings imo (Preposition/Article is the one that gets me. Return of the Jedi was bad enough, but Attack of the Clones nearly made me ill - Revenge of the Sith is barely better) but I wish that people wouldn't see V/C hatred as a necessary corollary of 'shipping Ve/N. [face_plain]

so many Ve/N 'shippers insist on villifying Consonant in their fics

Non-Con makes me sad. :( I don't get why people feel the need to write it, really.

14. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    The next thing you know these VERB lovers will be wanting their own thread and...and challenges! SHEESH!

15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    The next thing you know these VERB lovers will be wanting their own thread and...and challenges! SHEESH!

Challenges!?!?! What a great idea!

How about this: Here's one that will appeal to the noun/verb 'shippers. Write an entire vig using at least ten gerunds. I'll start:

Anakin's whining was finally getting to Obi-Wan.

16. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    [face_laugh] Oh wow! There's something to get the creative maple syrup flowing. But, um... what's a gerund?

17. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    A verbal noun - the offspring of a Ve/N ISSR. [face_sick]

In English they look the same as past participles, but function differently. Take a sentence like "I like spamming." Here, 'spamming' is clearly a verbal form as shown by the -ing ending, but is equally clearly functioning as a noun (proof: you can replace it with other nouns, like, oh, 'pancakes', 'soccer', or 'Cade Skywalker's rear')

18. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I had gerunds once, but a little talcom and I was fine! :)

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ban verbs! Adverbs, baby, adverbs is where it's at.

20. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007

[face_laugh]

*dies laughing*

Oohhhh baby! How funny!!!!

[face_good_luck] Irish

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Bah! The Supreme part of speech = article. The/an is easily one of the hottest 'ships ever. It beats all the verb/noun, noun/noun, and noun/gerund ships.

It especially wins over the pancake/waffle/butter threesome. That's right. I went there. [face_talk_hand]

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, it's just like that whole problem with vowels. That's why I read Russian fanfic.

23. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    This never bothers me when I read. I guess it bothers a lot of readers, but hey you can't please everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.