main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx AFI Heroes and Villains

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Duguay, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Did anyone take a look at this program? Star Wars was rather well represented, with OB-1 and Han Solo reasonably high on the heroes list, and Darth Vader is given the nod as one of the top 3 of all. And on a side note, it's nice to see Indiana Jones pretty high up on the list as well.

2. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Ya, I saw this. When the program started, I was sure Vader would be #1. Little disappointed that he wasn't at least #2. Is Norman Bates more villainous than Vader?

Also where was Luke and Yoda?

I also would have liked to see Indy as #1 but Atticus Finch is not a bad choice.

3. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    For those of us who didn't catch the show here is the list.

EDIT: A slightly more comprehensive list here.

4. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    Oh, I missed it. :(

Vader's number 3, huh? That's really not bad considering all the movies ever made. :)

Although I don't really consider Norman Bates a villian. Yeah, he was a psycho (no pun intended :)), but I always thought he was sort of sad.

(And I [face_love] Atticus Finch. Not as much as I [face_love] Indy, but pretty close.)

5. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Atticus Finch huh?

Well I guess.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Passage à l'acte?

It seems very interesting.

6. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    Atticus Finch huh?

Well I guess.

[face_blush] *shrug*

Gregory Peck was hot. All that honesty and nobility. :) Plus, he wore a hat.

I love a man in a hat. (see: Jones, Indiana for further reference. :D)

7. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I think, as to the question about Luke Skywalker and Yoda, I have an idea as to why they didn't make it.

Yoda (AotC not withstanding) is the ultimate mentor figure. When George Lucas talks about OB-1, he credits the mentor role to OB-1, but OB-1 is not just a mentor, he is an active player, more often than Yoda is.
    OB-1 is the one who made the sacrifice for his friends, and he survived through some dark times (the Jedi purge and all that). We've only seen Yoda put his neck on the block once, against a single physical foe. OB-1 placed himself in the headlights of an entire political organization, the reigning power of the galaxy.

As far as Luke is concerned, I think they were trying to avoid going overboard on nods to the Star Wars movies. They probably favored Han because they felt he was a more interesting character. It is arguable that between Luke and Han, one is more interesting than the other, but I think a lot of people empathize with Han more. Just a guess, I'm not saying I agree one way or the other, I just think that is the mentality behind it.

I do think it's a shame that none of George Lucas's creations made number one though.

8. P2Gambit

P2Gambit Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2002

and nowhere to be found on the villian list is T-1000. What a shame.

9. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    Aw, Gregory Peck died today. :(

And just after his character won the number # hero award. :{

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.