main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AFI Miss Murder video

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Zelda_Skywalker, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zelda_Skywalker

Zelda_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2005
    http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1636884&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fmsxml.excite.com

This is the link to the video because I cannot get a picture just yet. I like and want to make something along the lines of what the singer is wearing, but I have no idea where to start or how. any ideas?

-Zelda Zeppelin
    \m/ROCK ON\m/

2. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    darn it, after watching that, I have to hunt this album down. ;) lol

That jacket he's wearing actually reminds me of the Imperial Officer's jackets, only cut a bit shorter in the front and much longer in the back (like a tuxedo jacket). You could probably start with the pattern people use for imp officer jackets, and fiddle with the lengths of the front and back pieces. You can then put the large buttons down the front side for decoration or actual use.

3. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    yeah..that's what I was thinking...but I was wondering if it was just because of my weird star wars obsession or for real....hmm...I think I am gonna try that....

btw...the album is called Decemberunderground.

4. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    omg! i haven't seen that much makeup since orgy! ah! not that i don't like guys in makeup. and that video is so marilyn manson's holywood. hmm hhmmm 'go you love your guns, yeah, god, yeah, gov't?' okay enough music. i was lucky enough to major in musicology at a university that actually believes pop music is legit. : )

okay... clothes!

one way to go about making that jacket would be to find a suzy wong/chinese style dress pattern and modify it since it will give you a tight fit and the right style lines. now it looks like the jacket does not overlap in the video and the buttons are only ornamental. in that case, just shape the collar into a square instead of the rounded edges of the chinese dress. creating the overlap is pretty easy if you can't find a pattern that has it. simply trace both sides of the jacket onto a separate pice of paper. figure out where you would like to place the end of the overlap (ex. middle of opposite shoulder) and then draw your style line and cut out the big piece and that will be your overlap. use the unaltered piece for the other side. before you cut this out, be sure to add 5/8" to your cutting line for seam allowance. extend/cut the pattern to your low waist on the front, making sure to add the 5/8" for seam allowance. in the back, add enough length (looks like a straight line frome the existing seam line) so that it reaches the back of your knees (what it appears to be in the video). as for sleeves, if you can't find a pattern that has sleeves, try to modify a regular shirt sleeve to fit into the jacket. as always, remember to make a mockup of your garment before you sew.

i would recommend using polyester satin for the jacket and you'll probablywant to line it, too.

i hope that this helps you. i have pattern making experience and i would like to help.

i think it would make a kick @ss star wars costume. and the guys in afi look like they like star wars and if they don't, they should. : )

5. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    I love this song, they have been playing it on NZ's music channels for a while now and I love it.
    I, for some reason, love his hair in the video...

MC

6. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    OMG! Thank you! Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!!!!
    (I am an AFI obsesser)

and MasterCenedra
    have you seen Havok's old haircut?

7. mr_Goodbomb

mr_Goodbomb Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2006
    You mean the devilock from their mid-90s hardcore stage, or when it was possible to confuse him for SNL's Molly Shannon after the release of Art of Drowning?

8. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    I didn't see much of the mid-90s...cause I was like....not really old enough to appreciate their work....I'm talking about...around the time of Sing the Sorrow....like in the music video "The Leaving"
    it was quite different...but I like his hair however he has it...no matter to me.

9. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    i'm digging the hair. my hair is kinda like that. it's getting long again. and it's always some variation of black and blond. but no more frying it blond ontop and black on the bottom... *ouch*

10. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    I told my mum I wanted a haircut like Davey...she looked at me like I was mental. I still like it.

11. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    okay...the costume I can somewhat get...but does anybody know how I might get a Davey Havok hairstyle with out actually getting it cut?

12. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    Try a synthetic wig, then cut it into that style. Then use markers/sharpies to colour it properly. Then hairspray it to keep it all looking like it should. :)

This site has a forum where you could ask questions about techniques etc...

http://www.katiebair.com/wigs.html

They've done all kinds of wild stuff with wigs. :)

13. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    That's the thing I forgot to add....I don't like wigs. I wanna get that style without the wig and without scissors.

14. MasterCenedra

Apr 3, 2005
    I say Lots of gel, and clips...
    I didnt see the old hair cut, but this one is kewl...

MC

15. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    I've been workign on a useless attempt. I might want to use his old hairstyle instead. But then I'd need my hair longer. grrrrr!

[image=http://www.undercover.com.au/pics/afi.jpg]

16. MasterCenedra

Apr 3, 2005
    Sweetness.

MC

17. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    okay..old hairstyle works....

now...anybody know of any realy good makeup to make a person that pale?

18. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    The cheap route would be checking out Hot Topic and seeing what they have. ;)

Or... the expensive route would be Ben Nye theatrical make up products.

http://www.bennyemakeup.com/

Larger sized cities with any kind of theatre area will have a costume place that carries it...or you can try ordering it off the net.

http://www.fxsupply.com/bn_catalog/bn_index.html for example.

19. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    thanks. I have not the chance to stay that pale cause of all of the outdoor stuff I do-and cannot stay pale for nothing-no matter how much I try. so I really needed that. thank you so much.

20. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    Okay, the try was a complete and total disaster. It ended up looking like a dress. I have no idea what went wrong.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.