main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga After becoming a force ghost what did Obi Wan do on the Death Star?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Biel Ductavis, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    It could be that Obi Wan when becoming a force ghost in ANH might have done something similar to Luke in TLJ on the Death Star what we never learnt about, as the force projection technique is either the same or connected to the force ghosting technique...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Going by the From A Certain Point Of View anthology, he went to talk to Yoda and tell him about Luke.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Yes, that could be. I read the book. But as there is the issue that not all parts of it are canon, it's unclear if that really happened.

And with Luke being able to fight in a noncorporeal form in the last movie and Yoda summoning lightening as a force ghost, i wonder if Obi Wan did more on the DS than we were told.

Maybe he fought against imperials on another part of the Death Star to give Luke and his friends more time to escape.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figure that he was not yet ready to do anything other than "be a voice in Luke's ear".

5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    There's supposed to be a distinction between them. Vader was allowed to strike his old master down because Obi-Wan knew that he would be able to return from the netherworld of the force in some way. But from Vader's point of view, he was tricked into killing Obi-Wan. And from Luke's point of view, he just saw his would be mentor and father figure slain by a dark figure who supposedly also betrayed and murdered his own real father.

Luke evolves the mysteries of the force by not allowing Ben to strike him down in anger and leaves nobody else with the motive of anger or revenge for Luke's death.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  6. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    This is a good answer. For in ANH we don't see Obi's ghost, only hear his voice. It isn't until ESB that he appears to Luke as a force ghost.
    I think after he passed from the physical realm, he knew enough from Qui-Gon to be able to communicate with Luke, but not project his ghost. Gui-Gon meets him in the netherworld of the force and finishes teaching him, and thus he is able to project his ghost by the time of ESB.
    So meet up with Qui-Gon would be my answer.

7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Run Luke, Run

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really don’t think he did anything on the Death Star except die and tell Luke to Run. Force ghosts seem to only appear to force sensitives so there is not much he could do.

9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    What makes you think Force doppleganger and enlightenment/immortality are the same thing? One is Luke being physically in 2 places at once(that doppleganger was solid until Luke decided to make it not solid). Force ghosting, on the other hand, is letting go of the self into the Infinite.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    The appearance of Yoda and him using the force as a force ghost and Luke sacrificing himself for his friends similar to Obi Wan in ANH in the same movie, gave me the feeling that Ryan may have wanted to either establish a connection between the two force powers or to simply show that force ghosts are more powerful than shown before.

If so, both possibilities may be a hint that Obi Wan could have done more than just speak to Luke after his demise on the Death Star.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He went looking for the women's locker room.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    My sense of this is that Force spirits dont do things of their own volition in the way we tend to. They arent beings of ego. They have become extensions of the Force. Yoda is being used by the Force in TLJ, not the other way around. Obi-Wan tells Vader that if he strikes him down he will be more powerful than Vader can imagine... because is not "Obi-Wan" as Vader knew him but a being fully surrendered to, submerged in, and now fully sustained by the Force. He becomes mostly a mouthpiece for the Force.

Force spirits do precisely whatever the Force wills necessary for a given situation. A voice, an apparition, or an almost fully physical entity.

Yoda doing what he did in TLJ also isnt the first time we have seen a Force spirit influence the physical plane. Qui-Gon, who couldnt yet manifest as an apparition, caused the furniture in Yoda's quarter in the Jedi Temple float and swirl(TCW season 6). Obi-Wan actually caused vines on Dagobah to move as if he had brushed past them(ROTJ).

Obi-Wan wasnt needed for anythinf but coaching Luke from the beyond. So it is unlikely he did anything on the Death Star simply because the Force had all it needed in Luke Skywalker.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darth Caliban likes this.
  13. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    That's my belief too. But what if it was the will of the force that Obi Wan as a FG strikes down some stormtroopers to help Luke & Co?

14. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I don't know why he would have stayed on the Death Star after he died. He should have said, "Run, Luke, run! And take me with you!"