main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After declaration of the Pellaeon-Gavrisom Treaty

Discussion in 'Literature' started by skywalkerz, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalkerz

skywalkerz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2005
    Do the imperials become good guys? If so, do they turn evil again?

Darth Elyrius likes this.
  2. BennyM

BennyM Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007
    Really?

3. madslaust

madslaust Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 13, 2009
    Are you serious?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. In fact, in Destiny's Way, we see Pellaeon growing a bunch of daisies and giving flowers to the Rebel leaders.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    that's New Republic, not Rebel, to you, GAJ. ;)

And yes. Sortof. In a benevolent-dictatorship sort of way. Because there's nothing wrong with the executive branch being appointed military dictators, or the legislative branch being a bunch of corrupt scumbags, who're also appointed. ;)

6. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    When were the Imperials not the good guys? :confused:

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The New what?

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of Coruscant getting abandoned to the Vong.

8. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    If I can clarify, he means The Galactic Alliance...you know, the one ruled by a former Imperial.

9. skywalkerz

Nov 25, 2005
    Aragorn327, first off, the imperials were evil because of the sith. As for everyone else, I'm talking about the imperial remnant. This was at the end of the GCW ftr.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The sound of the galaxy's collective IQ going up was the sound of Coruscant's population getting smacked down.

That planet is the definition of overexposed.

11. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    The Empire has always been the good guys, my friend, standing up against the evils of anarchism, separatism, special-interest groups, regional despotism, crime, & flagrant violations of the rule of law.

Now, if you are asking whether or not the New Republic saw the wisdom of allying with the Empire following the conclusion of the Pellaeon-Gavrisom Treaty, then the answer would be yes. The Galactic Empire fought alongside the New Republic against the Yuuzhan Vong, and were an important autonomous member of the Galactic Alliance.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I couldn't hear you over Aldeeran exploding.

Also, from now on, the so called Empire shall be known by their true, traitorous nature: the Coup-de-ta forces. And the Rebel Alliance as Republic Loyalist forces.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Empire quickly reverted to its old self after Gavrisom visited Bastion and was immediately captured and barbecued.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ?

How does that clarify? The Rebellion and New Republic were both led by former Imperials. :)

And the person you refer to does not deserve the title. You can keep her.

Also I needn't remind you that in DW, the Rebels were busy fixing an election so that Cal Omas could win. ;)

[i][blockquote]Also, from now on, the so called Empire shall be known by their true, traitorous nature: the Coup-de-ta forces. [/i][/blockquote]

That [i]what[/i]? Check your French, sir.

I should also beg you to please watch the film in question, which demonstrates the Jedi plot to overthrow the lawfully elected Senate and its Chancellor. The material is quite clear on this matter, whatever fanfiction you have cooked up aside.

[i][blockquote]And the Rebel Alliance as Republic Loyalist forces. [/i][/blockquote]

Strange, as it was the Empire that maintained the Republican institutions (AJ#7) and the Rebellion that dismantled them.

Also, your name is extremely superfluous, given that Mothma had already called her counterrevolutionaries the "Alliance to Restore the Republic"--which sounds strikingly like the "Democratic Republic of the Congo."

But tell me, Rebels: what is so great about replacing one dictatorship with another? From the RESB: [i]The Chief of State heads the civil government and is essentially an elected dictator with full autocratic power over the Alliance.[/i]

Well, look, it's an elected dictator. What does that remind you of? What were you people rebelling against?

Ah, yes, it was simply to replace a lawfully acclaimed monarch with a political enemy who could not stand the democratic process not working out in her favor.

Well, have fun with that. Canon's a nasty thing, despite whatever romantic notions you may have imagined. The Rebellion is not what you think it is.

15. Lord_Boney

Lord_Boney Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2007
    Indeed.

"Freedom fighters, they call themselves. But let them be called by their true name ? Separatists. For that is the discredited creed they profess, and the bloody cause they champion. Separatists and splittists. Rejectionists and rebels. Sowers of dissent and disorder. All must resist their lures and counter their lies. - Emperor Palpatine, New Year Fete Week 36:F1:1"

What a lovely little gem the Essential Atlas has given us.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    As Zaarin and Trachta knew, the Sith are the true enemies of the Empire... :p

17. skywalkerz

Nov 25, 2005
    I thought the Jedi were?:confused:

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, you could take the position that it's the Sith Order's rather unusual governmental goal of strengthening the Dark Side by any means necessary that is what ultimately wrecked the Empire as a practical political entity.

The main reason the pre-ANH Empire wasn't more or less the British Empire in the 19th century is that it's supreme leader was actually the devil.

19. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Are we forgetting about a certain criminal organization known as Black Sun? The Emperor was more than willing to keep Xizor around until Vader made the individual decision to kill him for attempting to assassinate his son and discredit him in the process.

20. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    ISTR the Republic and Jedi Order saving the son of a know kingpin, slaver, and crime lord because it suited them to do so from a strategic stand-point.

21. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Was said son a part of the organization? I honestly don't know of what you're talking about, tbh.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Rotta, I think.

23. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    "From a certain point of view."

The Empire allied itself with the New Republic toward the start of the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion. Eventually, the Imperial government recalled Grand Admiral Pellaeon and most (but not quite all) of his forces to Imperial Space. Later in the war, after the New Republic had lost Coruscant and essentially ceased functioning, the Empire traded secret detailed hyperspace charts of the Deep Core Regions, which the New Republic used to great effect at the Battle of Ebaq 9. Following the reorganization into the Galactic Alliance, the Empire once again allied itself with the former Rebels and helped defend the provisional Alliance capitol on Mon Calamari and then retake Coruscant from the Yuuzhan Vong.

The Empire remained at peace as an autonomous Galactic Alliance member until late in the Second Galactic Civil War, when Darth Caedus enticed the Imperials into the war on his side. Pellaeon, who vociferously objected to an actual alliance with Caedus' government, was assassinated by Caedus' apprentice in order to ensure the Empire's support in the war. The alliance between Imperial and Alliance forces was rather loose, but Caedus personally oversaw their operations to further his own ends. At the climax of the war, he requested a fleet from the Empire to track down the hidden Jedi base in Hapan territory. Following Caedus' death and the capture of the Council of Moffs by the Jedi, the Empire changed sides in order to avoid prosecution for war crimes against the Hapans. Jagged Fel was appointed as the new Imperial head of state, and a cease fire was declared.

In the Legacy comic series, descendants of Jagged Fel have ruled the Empire for three generations during a time of presumed peace with the Galactic Alliance. The Sith-Imperial War breaks out over accusations of Yuuzhan Vong sabotage on worlds that were supposed to be re-terraformed, and the Alliance and Empire are again enemies. A new order of Sith ally themselves with the Empire, and the Galactic Alliance is resoundingly defeated by Grand Admiral Moorlish Veed at the Battle of Caamas. Save for Admiral Gar Stazi's Core Fleet, the Galactic Alliance surrenders, and the Empire takes nominal control of most of the galaxy.

However, the Sith (predictably) betray Emperor Fel, and install their leader--Darth Krayt--on the Imperial throne. Emperor Fel escapes the palace coup, and begins an insurgency against the One Sith Empire that eventually escalates into a full-blown civil war. The Galactic Alliance remnant, under Admiral Stazi, allies with Emperor Fel's loyalists.

So... Perhaps not 'the good guys' but not quite 'the bad guys' either.

24. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Crime can never be fully eliminated, that is one of the sad facts of reality. It can, however, be leashed. Making Xizor beholden to the Emperor gave the Empire a vast informational network and a means to prevent gross breaches of the public order by applying pressure directly back on Black Sun. In a way, the Empire was letting the thieves police the thieves. Better a little glitterstim get sold here or there than we have running gun battles in the Empire's streets.

25. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Since when do the "good guys" blow up planets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.