main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AFTER EPIII: will the EU EXPLODE with the force? (and the fans?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by episodenone, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    obviously this would make sense.

do you think there will be tremendous number of "Canon Defectors" running to the EU for solace?????????

I say yes.

i believe the "MOVIE PURISTS" will crumble.

the debate may live on ... but they will be begging us for our out of print novels and comics!

EDIT:
    ok valiento?

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    You mean "purists".

Canonists isn't used anymore because of the confusion between LFL's policy of canon, and what purists want canon to be.

3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'm sure that there will be a few people who will start to look into the EU after Episode 3. Unfortunately there will always be a few that will stay movie purists.

4. Galactic_Emperor

Galactic_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I also think there will be at least some or even many purist who will go to EU after ep. 3 . After ep 3 there will be no more movies (pity) and no more timeline for movie purists.

5. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    will you welcome them with open arms???

6. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    will you welcome them with open arms???

First they must pass a series of deadly tests until they can be accepted into our sacred and selective fold of completists. The weak will be weeded out systematically, but the strong will proceed to bigger and better places.

Just kidding :p

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Sometimes I think that true completists are actually quite rare. I'm always seeing someone that say they are a completist, yet go onto say what they would like to be made infinities. That sort of thing goes against the creed that is to be a true completist. A true completist despises the infinities label, and hopes it doesn't go onto anything. Because then it undermines the ability to have a complete continuity. A true completist though, loves it when something that has already been marked infinities is refrenced as being part of continuity(such as tales). While a true completist, can have "personal continuity" and add those elements to their personal timelines anyways, it only means anything if LFL does it themselves.

8. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    Sometimes I wonder if true completists are actually quite rare. I'm always seeing someone that say they are a completist, yet go onto say what they would like to be made infinities. That sort of thing goes against the creed that is to be a true completist.

I've felt that some storylines should be made infinities at one time or another. But then I was impressed with how things are easily made to fit with other things. I'm in the opinion that if a story doesn't contradict anything else, then it shouldn't be labeled infinities.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm of the oppinion if even a "perceived" error might seem to exist from one of LFL's "canonical" continuity sources, that something else can explain how it fits.

10. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Val:

Obviously you are exluding Humour comic strips and things are clearly not part of continuity

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Your right, of course, I was refrencing mainly serious stuff in the novels, comics, and the like.

Though, sometimes, a humor comic, can be intentionally part of continuity like "underworld". Since it is refrenced, and had a era label, I consider it to be part of continuity. That's why I point out that it's only up to LFL to point out what fits into their continuity, and that is the only view that matters to them.

When something is declared appocryphal by LFL, like "hoth stuff" for instance, for the matter of discussion I tend to concede LFL's point as being the valid official one. Even if one wanted to use their imigination even it could be fit into continuity. But true completists hope that kind of thing doesn't happen, if it can be avoided.

12. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    you are correct.

"true completists" do seem rare - but why not let them slide?

of course, ONLY AFTER they pass a deadly series of tests....... ;)

i understand why they will buckle - and i think they should.
    but then what about the "EPVII --> IX" crowd?

13. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    but then what about the "EPVII --> IX" crowd?

In time, their misguided faith in those never-to-be episodes will die. Then they shall all turn to the completist side of the Force.

[face_devil]

14. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I am a purist. I have read every EU novel and will keep on even after Episode III. But, i will not be acheing for new books, b/c not every book is great, some are amazing and some are crap. The movies will always be where it's at.

15. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    funny - but even purists don't love the movies.

and some would probably like some of the EU better.
    or even like it simply for its exposition.
    and expansive character roster.

however - i love the movies - i just need a steady fix of EU to trickle in to stave off the cravings.........

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    A true purist doesn't read the EU, or if they have previously don't accept any of it as part of "continuity". True purists seem to have a kind of anti-EU sentiment to the level that they hate it no matter what is in it.

17. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I think a lot of people who don't like the EU after VotF, or some earlier books, like Darksaber (which lost a lot of readers of the EU), wll be interested in post EPIII fill ins.

Marvel comics did do stuff after ANH, but there is nothing much about the rise of the Empire, and Vader hunting Jedi and I think there will be a series on that which will draw a whole new audience. It's kinda hard to get into the NJO now, if you haven't been following. So after EPIII, definitely a new crop of EU readers.

18. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I don't care if I am a "true" purist or not. The term is dumb anyway, just like using canon to describe what is fact. That seems to be why there are wars about it, b/c of taht word. I read the books, but that doesn't mean I follow everything they say. To me, only the movies are true, the books are a parallel universe for me to enjoy. Call me whatever fanboy terms you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.