main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After Episode 3 and Indy..

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Raskolnikov11, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raskolnikov11

Raskolnikov11 Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2004
    Hey just saw the briliant THX 1138 the other day and started wondering what lucas could do with a more mature material than star wars. After Episode 3 he will hopefully make Indy 4 with Spielberg, but then what? Do you think we will see more expermental films from him? Critical of mordern society and such?
    I realize that this has probably been discused before in here, but the search engine is not the best.
    What do you think?

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well he'll also be marginally involved in the TV series. Beyond that ther is the chance he'll do something with his animation studio.

I would love to see his version of Red Tails though. For the most part I think he'll go back to mostly producing.

3. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Lucas has vehemently endorsed television as a wonderful creative medium whose limits have not really been adequately tested. He has stated, apart from any sort of "Star Wars" TV show, that he would like to produce some different sorts of television programs. What those would look like I cannot say. He mentioned in an interview with Charlie Rose, which aired in September, that he wanted to do something on slavery. A couple of years ago there was an interview with Lucas in "American Cinematographer". The interview was actually conducted on the set of "Attack of the Clones". In this interview, when asked about the visual style of the "Star Wars" films, Lucas stated that although the somewhat "plain" visual style of the saga was important in maintaining a visual lexicon similar to that of 1930s and 40s Hollywood movie serials, the style in question was somewhat limiting, and he felt that he needed to challenge himself more creatively. In conjunction with this statement, Lucas indicated that he wanted to return to more abstract forms of filmmaking, much in the same vein as "THX 1138". He suggested that because such ideas were obviously less commercial, he would therefore provide himself with less money with which to make these sorts of films. Lucas also stated, interestingly, that he wanted to explore dramatic period pieces, such as those set in the Victorian era. Whether any of these things are ever actually produced is another matter entirely. For all we know, Lucas could go and pull a Terence Malick again, and more or less withdraw from filmmaking for another twenty years. I really hope he doesn't; as much as I would love for him to make Episodes 6-9, I would also like to see him work in other genres and direct and write different sorts of films. But, when you are listed as having a net worth of $3 billion dollars, I suppose you can pretty much do what you like.

4. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    He will do a TV series and I hope maybe another Willow movie.

5. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well if he does something else for TV besides SW, cable might be more suited for his more experimental stuff.

Is there any transcript of the Charlie Rose interview? The day it happened they had someone else where I was watching it (maybe an older show).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.