main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After Episode 3 we need a whole book on Darth Sidious (Palpatine)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Nemesis, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Gulliver

Darth_Gulliver Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2002
    As far as the Palpatine/Sidious thing --

Since the introduction of the midichlorians, I've thought that Palpatine is a clone of Sidious created _without_ midichlorians. This allows Sidious/Palpatine to achieve power right under the nose of the jedi council (why doesn't Yoda or Windu see that Palpatine is the dark lord of the sith? Because he's not force sensitive).

When Palpatine is in place as Emperor, all Sidious has to do is step right in and take over (probably killing his clone) and poof, we have are old dark jedi master emperor of the original trilogy.

This is the only way, in my own head, that I can justify the existence of the midichlorians -- the worst idea of the entire series. If it is a necessity to allow the biological manipulation of the force, then, well, okay, I understand why he had to have them. Otherwise -- if Palpatine is just Sidious without the hood -- I'll never forgive Lucas for making the force non-mystical.

2. Silky

Silky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Why is everyone so sure that Paly is a racist? There is nothing in the films that hint that, and Darth Maul was an alien. So why is everyone so sure that he hates alien? Is there a stormtroper thing, that there are only human ones?

okay then please tell me how many aliens you spot in the empire's employ then? Then i think one would be better able to answer the question poised.

3. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I think it's been made pretty clear that the Empire is quite xenophobic. Perhaps Palpatine's time in the Senate convinced him that non-humans are wishy-washy.

Any thoughts on why Darth Sidious broke the "one master, one apprentice" rule? "Always two, there are," said Yoda. But there were three: Sidious, Maul, and Tyrannus. I'm curious on what, if any, significance this has.

4. Mareon

Mareon Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2002
    okay then please tell me how many aliens you spot in the empire's employ then? Then i think one would be better able to answer the question poised.

Prince Xizor, lord of the dark sun.

5. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I personally would LOVE a book on Palps!

6. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    Mareon:Why is everyone so sure that Paly is a racist? There is nothing in the films that hint that, and Darth Maul was an alien. So why is everyone so sure that he hates alien? Is there a stormtroper thing, that there are only human ones?

Apart from the obvious lack of non-human Imperial personnel, it has been stated from the beginning in EU Literature (the namesake of this forum) that Palpatine is a xenophobe. Prince Xizor is dealt with by Palpatine out of neccessity. He is in control of one of the galaxy's most extensive shipping industries and the galaxy's most powerful criminal organization. He is not a part of the Imperial regime and the Emperor allows aliens when they're too useful to pass up (Darth Maul, Xizor, Grand Admiral Thrawn). First said in the Thrawn Trilogy by Tim Zahn. If you have a problem with EU Lit being Canon I have this to say:

Sue Rostoni (Gamer #6 - Oct/Nov. 2001):
    Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays. Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon.

Gandolf the Grey:
    That's a question that a lot of people will give you what they consider to be definite answers to. Unfortunately, those definitive answers are often directly contradictory. Within the Literature forum, we treat the whole of the Expanded Universe as canon. This point is not up for debate. Outside the Literature forum, views differ. It's generally not a good idea to mention the Expanded Universe at all in any of the Prequel Spoilers Allowed forums.

Jeremyguy:Any thoughts on why Darth Sidious broke the "one master, one apprentice" rule? "Always two, there are," said Yoda. But there were three: Sidious, Maul, and Tyrannus. I'm curious on what, if any, significance this has.

Uh...no offense but you completely misunderstood the "rule of two." There can only be ONE Master, and ONE Apprentice at any given time for a total of two Sith maximum at any time. Maul got sliced in half, so Palpy replaced him with the Fallen Jedi Master Dooku and made him Tyranus. In Ep. III we'll see how Tyranus is replaced by Anakin who falls and becomes Vader. None of these apprentices occur simultaneously.

7. Major_Derek_Klivian

Major_Derek_Klivian Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2001
    He should definetely be left mysterious. Evil is always more sinister when you are unable to understand the source.

8. Major_Derek_Klivian

Major_Derek_Klivian Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2001
    Same comment killed the thread twice. Should've taken a hint from Trias.

9. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Some characters should be left a Mystery like Yoda, it makes them much better and cooler :)

10. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    There was also a bird-like creature in the Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy that was in the employ of the Empire.

11. BigSllim

BigSllim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    I would like to know more about palpy and yoda.

Mystery is good, but some of us like to know!

I think that books should be created divulging the secrets some of us so desperately want info on.

Those who don't want the info, do not have to read the books. IMHO, I believe this to be fair!!!

12. Lord_Darth_Bob

Jun 29, 2001
    Eh, he is right. Learning what made Palpatine into what he is would be fascinating. Though Del Rey would do an amazing job on it, hopefully.

13. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I would enjoy a book about Palps, but I don't know if it's such a good idea to ruin the mystery surrounding him and his past.

I would say that, if you're going to do it, then mirror the way the "X-Files" dealt with the Smoking Man. show his past, but in a way that is still mysterious, where you uncover facts but are left uncertain as to how much is true - while providing an insight into the character and how he became who is was.

14. BigSllim

BigSllim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    That could work CeeWulf!

But if a story is created in a manner that creates more questions, I'd just want those questions answered also.

I'm strange that way. ;)

15. thrtzn

thrtzn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    Darth Sideous is NOT Palpatine. Just thought you'd like to know.

16. Lord_Darth_Bob

Jun 29, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.