main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends After Her - Update 01/19/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmeraldJediFire, Jan 25, 2013.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome to read more about Melinda's kids & that the getting to know each other ended on a cheerful, comfy note. :) Hmmm. Is it part of Ben's active imagination? What he senses?

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hehehe. I love the father/Son dynamic you have going on.

3. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Excellent

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Very sweet dialog! Ben is really warming up to Luke's lady friend.

5. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks you all for reading! Jedi_Lover, Jade_eyes, ccp, and Briannakin
    I don't think Ben's imagination is acting up too much. As for Melinda's kids..I loved having you learn about them, since it will be unnecessary when I bring them in later. I too like the overall relaxed atmosphere and the good old father son banter. Ben is really trying to put his best foot forward.
    Chapter 9
    "Ugh, I'm stuffed." Ben commented, leaning back in his chair. "I don't think I can eat another bite."

Luke chastised, "I told you not to gorge yourself like that."

"I was hungry. I hadn't eaten anything."

"Fine, but don't say I never said, I told you so."

Ben looked to Melinda. "He likes doing that; being right." There was a playful tone in his voice.

"It helps." Luke wiped his mouth. "After being wrong all through my youth, it's a good feeling to be right."

A waiter came over to check on them for the last time. "And how was your meal?" He said conversationally.

"Exceptional." Melinda said.

"Good." Luke and Ben agreed.

"Will there be anything else?"

Luke looked to his son and Melinda. They shook their heads.

"No, that will be all."

"Very well," he offered the receipt. "Here is your receipt then. Alert me when you're ready for me to pick it up."

"Thank you," Luke began to dig into his pocket, searching for credits.

"Oh, no you don't!" Melinda objected and began to dig in her purse.

"Melinda, let me pay this time."

Ben saw this would be going nowhere fast, so he offered. "I'll pay."

Melinda and Luke turned to look at him.

"Pardon?" His father said.

"I said, I'll pay." He took out the exact number of credits and placed them on the table. "There, problem solved." He raised his hand, waiting for the
    waiter to arrive. The waiter approached and smiled, taking the money away. Ben got up, placing his napkin on the table. "Shall we go?"

"I guess so." Melinda murmured and got up. The three of them left the vicinity of the café, stopping a few paces down. "Well, Ben," She extended a hand. "It was a treat to meet you at last."

He clasped her hand gently and gave her fingers a squeeze. "I'm glad I met you too." He meant it.

The woman turned to face his father, a soft look in her eyes. His father stepped closer and bequeathed her with a kiss on the cheek once more. He also gave her a brief hug before pulling back. His father was smiling at Melinda. Ben noticed he was still holding her hands long after they had separated. Again an uncomfortable feeling came over him, like he was seeing something he shouldn't.

"Take care…" She was saying.

"You too," He searched her face. "See you tomorrow."

She shook her head. "I can't. The committee meetings are coming up." Melinda paused. "Are you attending?"

"Not this year."

"Oh, then, call me later."

"I will."

Luke kissed her cheek once more and separated. He joined his son once more, the two men watching her leave.

"I like her." Ben said after a moment. "I really do."

There was no response.

"Ben?"

"Yes, Dad?"

"It just occurred to me….you don't have your own money. I gave you money. So you didn't pay for lunch after all…I did. "

Ben shrugged.

"Does it matter? It got you two to stop arguing about who was going to pay."

"That was…." Luke paused, searching for the word.

Ben waved him off. "Don't thank me. I was happy to do it." He had a grin on his face as he started to walk off. "I'm going to head off to the Temple; I need to check in with Master Katarn about a matter. You?"

"Heading home for a bit. I'll be at the Temple later. Take care."

"Will do."

"So, it went well?" Leia asked eagerly.

"I think so." Melinda sat down and drank the tea. "I admit I haven't felt this way about a man in years, Leia."

"Really?"

"Don't look so excited. Although Luke feels the same way, I don't think its leading in the direction you're expecting. We're friends."

Leia sighed. "Yes, of course."

"I'm also glad I can have this relationship in good conscience. I hadn't met his son yet, and frankly I was beginning to worry."

"You met Ben?"

"Yes, Luke asked if I minded him bringing Ben along to lunch. I admit I've wanted to meet him for awhile, so of course I had no problem with it. Ben was relatively accepting, but I could see he cared about Luke deeply."

"Well, that's good. You wouldn't be remiss in saying Ben is protective of his father. Ever since his mother died, Ben's been looking out for my brother—to my brother's annoyance at times I think; he hates Ben treating him like an invalid. Truth be told…" Leia stopped.

"Leia?"

"I believe Luke should tell you further about it himself. He wouldn't like me butting in even more than I have." She shook her head.

"Butting in? Oh, I'm sure he doesn't think that."

"Maybe not. He'll never say it, he's too kind a person; but he has the capability of being fierce too. He wouldn't be the Grand Master if he wasn't."

"I suppose not."

"I'm glad you got to meet Ben. How was your impression of him?"

"He's a very smart young man and has a smart mouth on him. I suspect he means well though. He and Luke seem to get along very well; I'd never want to disrupt that, so I'm glad things turned out the way they did."

"Then I wish you all the best, Melinda." She paused. "Trust me when I say this…..I only want to see Luke smile again."
    "My, my…." A woman murmured, watching Luke leave the café. "He certainly is a dish isn't he?"

"Who?" Her associate inquired.

"Him." She pointed out the man.

The man shifted. "I prefer not to answer that; you propensity for older men is unnerving, do you know that?"

The blonde frowned unhappily. "Oh, you're no fun, Randall." She gnawed on her lip. "I wonder who he is."

"You know you can stop all this speculation and just go bag him like you normally do."

"I could, but where would the fun in that be. Besides, he's with that woman and that boy."

"Maybe, she's his wife."

The blonde eyes widened. "Do you think so?"

"Could be." He muttered cantankerously. It was obvious he didn't want to pursue this matter any further.

"I guess, I'll have to find out then."

Luke headed for home, feeling slightly exhausted. He figured all he needed was a good nap. He was pleased that the meeting between his son and Melinda had gone so well. He had been hoping it would, but knew Ben could be stubborn. As much as the boy professed for him to be happy, Luke knew the boy's heart was focused on his mother. In fact, Luke had sensed changing feelings within Ben, some which often bordered on the uncomfortable.

Ben had accepted it, but it was obviously still foreign to see his father with a woman other than his mother.

He entered the bedroom and quickly changed into more comfortable clothes. He then opened a drawer, his hand brushing against the metallic hilt of a lightsaber. Luke dug it out and held it within his hand, turning it.

He let his beloved's weapon settle in the palm of his hand and he drew a ragged breath in. It was almost like he could feel her. His hand drifted over it till he touched something smooth, finding the braided lock of his wife's red-hair attached to clip. He rubbed it in between his fingers.

"Am I doing the right thing?" He whispered. "I'm just so lonely, but I just can't see…"

"So you'd rather be miserable?" A familiar voice said.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Mara!!!!! Yay!

Great chapter. I wonder who the golddigger at the restaurant is.

Also, your Ben is just wonderful.

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's not Mara. That was me lurking under his bed. Ha! A restraining order is just a piece of paper.:p

Nice post!

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautiful, warm, genuine tone. =D= With each post, I like this fic more and more & Melinda too. Emerald, you have done an amazing thing: ^:)^ you've made it possible for me to imagine Luke with someone after Mara, and she's not silly or yucky [face_laugh] or Madame Cardboard :p

=D= @};-

9. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    Nice

10. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thank you Briannakin, Jedi_Lover, ccp, and Jade_eyes!

You know perfectly well, Bri. lol And Ben is wonderful, he's making an effort to get to know Melinda which is good. I don't think he'd appreciate that, JL.
    Jade_eyes...I'm so happy! I love Melinda, she's a great character and I think she's just what Luke needs.

And great timing, ccp...cause its time for the next chapter!

Note: I had to seriously look into this; and do some rewriting for some parts.
    Chapter 10
    Luke turned around to face his wife's luminous form.

"Mara…" He breathed.

A brow rose. "You were expecting some lovelorn Jedi?"

"Of course not," He blinked, mesmerized by her. "You're really here, aren't you?"

"In a way, yes."

"I've missed you, Mara. It's good to see you."

She smiled. "It's good to see you too, Farmboy—but I'd rather it had not been under these circumstances." She sat down on the bed and motioned for him to sit beside her. "Now, tell me what's with all this self-inflicted drama you seem bent upon having."

"Mara?"

He crossed over to her and took at seat.

"You know what I mean. You're intent to be miserable for some reason beyond my comprehension. Why? So you can preserve some misguided intent
    of fidelity?" She reached out as if to caress his face. "Why won't you let yourself be happy?"

"Mara, I love you…I always will."

"And I love you, but I see what you're doing, it tears me up inside. You would rather bleed yourself dry than have your heart betray me…. But you're wrong, Luke, I'm gone and….." She paused, troubled by these next words. "…I'm not coming back. I know you love me, and that's all right—but you need to be true to your other feelings. In the end, it's not anyone else that matters…Not me, not even Ben. Your heart matters in this; what you feel matters. "

Luke finally spoke, "How can you ask that of me?"

"Because I know you; I know what you feel. Can you actually tell me, you don't have feelings for this Melinda woman?" When he didn't answer, she said, "I thought not. You could never keep those feelings from me, because I've always known you better than you know yourself. There's nothing to betray…" She moved to cover his hand with hers. "I want you to be happy; I don't want you to hesitate. I will always love you, but I don't want you to miss out of this second chance... Live your life and be happy, and when the time comes, I'll see you again," She smiled. "On the other side..."
    Mara leaned forward as if to kiss his forehead and her spirit slowly dissipated.

Luke sat on the bed for a good few minutes, shifting the lightsaber from one hand to the other.

He thought about her words and the determination in her eyes and voice. Inwardly, he knew she was right. He had been feeling guilty within his heart; afraid he'd been betraying the love he and Mara had once shared; still did. But he was wrong, he knew this; and it had taken his deceased wife to tell him otherwise.

Mara had come back one last time to give him the well-deserved kick in the pants the way she constantly had. As always, his wife was the one to pull his butt out of the fireand to make him see the light…

He laughed bitterly, dazzled by the irony of the situation.

"Oh, Mara..." He murmured, a slight smile on his lips.

Ben sat cross-legged across from his friend and senior Jedi Knight, Valin Horn. He pressed the button on the side of the dejarik table, waiting for Valin to make his next move.

"So, how're you taking the news?"

Ben frowned. "Does everyone know about my dad and Melinda?"

"Eh, it's hard not to notice." Valin replied. "…Especially when you've got my contacts."

"One would think you'd spend more time with your family than sniffing around the Grand Master's business." He sat back. "How is your daughter anyway?"

"Growing like a weed and spunky as all get out; as far as Force potential though, she takes after her mother, thank the Force." Valin said. "Speaking of familial bliss, when are you and Myra going to tie the knot?"

Ben sighed. "See this is what I meant about paying more attention to everyone else."

"I'm a Horn," He stated as if this absolved everything. "Besides, can't I take interest in your life? You're like a little brother to me…"

Ben pulled one leg up. "It's going well; things have been progressing pretty well."

"Progressing pretty well? It's relationship, not a battle."

"Sometimes with Myra there's not much difference." He got up and refilled his cup.

"You picked her, buddy."

"I know," He waved his hand. "Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have picked anyone else. She's everything I need." He sighed.

"You really do have it bad." Valin broke off a piece of food and ate it. "So, I reiterate when do we get to hear the pitter patter of little feet?"

"That's not what you said."

"You don't plan on having kids?"

"That's beside the point. She only just agreed to m-…" He stopped short.

Valin was grinning widely. "She agreed to 'what'?"

"Nevermind." Ben said, turning away.

"Oh, no you don't. You just can't let the nexu out of the bag then try to sweep it under the rug."

Ben made a face. "Haven't I told you to stop mixing your metaphors?"

Valin jabbed a finger in his direction. "Don't avoid the question."

"I haven't even told Dad yet."

Valin continued to smirk. "You are such a hypocrite." He chortled.

"So, my cousin tells me." He took a swig of his Whiskey. "Can you blame me…it's my Dad. I always thought he'd never marry again."

"Who said anything about marriage?" Valin raised an eyebrow.

"That's…." Ben shuddered and snapped, "Get your mind out of the trashpile!"

Valin countered, "I'm not being disgusting—as you're probably thinking—, you're just being a child. Ben, you're twenty-four…grow up." His friend got up and set his glass aside. "And now, I'm going to check on my family because I am an adult."

"Fine," Ben cupped his hands, hollering, "Go on; everyone knows you're whipped." He grinned pleased with himself.

"Not whipped, just….smart." He waved farewell. "Later, Ben…"

The woman sighed; she hadn’t been able to keep that man out of her mind—and she hadn’t met him as of yet.

"What now?" Randall murmured.

"It’s that man…” She murmured.

"You're still on that?" He plucked a datadisk from the shelf. “Don’t you think it’s strange to get hung up on a man you haven’t even met?”

She ignored him and turned toward the terminal in front of her. Randall watched her type away, searching the HoloNet.

"What are you doing?”

“What does it look like? I’m going to find out who he is…”

“Tell me exactly, how you're going about finding him merely by psychical features?" He asked, exasperated.

"The exact way I do my job…all you need is the right keywords and know where to look.” She informed him.”His stats…blue eyes…blonde hair…" She hit the backspace. "Dirty blonde. He was about 5’7”if I estimate right. Dressed very dignified, not high affluence but more of a simpler nature; grey tunic, dark pants, and boots polished to a full shine. Not vain, but more…professional.”

"That could be any common merchant or worker, and blue eyes and blonde hair are a credit a dozen.” He looked over her shoulder.

"Oh, hush, Randall." She blew out an exasperated breath. "I don't need to be scolded like a child."

"Wouldn't hurt." Randall muttered and started to walk off. "I'll be heading back—you know where to find me. This fascination you have with older men is downright bizarre.”

She flipped her hand in dismissal. "Yes, yes, go…I'll see you then."

“Just be careful, or you might get burned and I’d hate to see that happened.”

“I’m always careful.”

When, Randall vanished from sight, Diana turned her head over her shoulder and let out a relieved breath.

“He is so infuriating sometimes...” she muttering, tapping the table.

Randall meant well, Diana knew he did, but he was a tad bit cantankerous and always too nosy. Though he was also the closet thing she had to a father figure, though she really didn’t think of him that way. And despite his protests, she had never once thought of mingling with a man that was her age. Young men were way too much trouble and tended only to want one thing; men her age wanted to settle down. Diana had no wish for either one of those. She couldn’t explain her fascination with older men…it was just something about them—as if they had an aura around them.

She found them to be sophisticated and distinguished, which was more her cup of tea.

Oh, she knew what other people said; they were wrong of course. She snorted dismissively—like they knew anything about her.

Admittedly, Diana had never been entranced with a man as deeply as she was with this one. It was odd and at the same time very thrilling. She supposed that this was the main reason she was intent on finding out who he was; it was if something was calling to her.

Falcon likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Luke has to go easy on that Axe body spray!:p The women are flocking to him!

Falcon likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I just loved the Luke and Mara conversation.

And I agree with JL - Luke needs to stop being so gosh darn lovable.

Gemma and Falcon like this.
  13. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    Well done.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent progression and plotting EmeraldJediFire. @};- =D=

15. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    @Jedi_Lover, Briannakin Whether its Diana or Melinda, Luke is too irresistible.
    ccp Thanks!
    @Jade_eyes Thanks; I think its progressing well.
    Chapter 11
    Ben returned home late that night; he had missed his father entirely that afternoon, as he had spent most of his time giving lessons to the younger students. He checked in on his father—who he found to be fast asleep—and retired to his bedroom. His fiancée had once commented how odd it was that a man who was grown still opted to stay in the quarters where his father resided. Lately, he would agreed with her, but times like this he was glad he didn't have to go halfway across town to crash.

And seeing how exhausted he was, he was grateful he didn't have to do that.

He checked his chrono.

"Wonder if Myra is still up?" He hadn't talked to her lately and debated giving her a com-call. It was late though… "I'll chance it."

He went to the terminal in the livingarea and dialed out.

Waiting, patiently he looked around to make sure his father hadn't awoken. He turned back to the screen as Myra answered the call on her end.

Her brown hair was disheveled, but in a lovely way. Not from sleep, more from frustration most likely.

"Skywalker." She murmured, smiling.

"I didn't wake you, did I?" He knew he didn't, but it didn't hurt to ask.

"No, I've been up. Studying."

"I could let you go."

"No," She shook her head. "That's not necessary. In fact, you're a welcome distraction. My brain is practically fried."

Ben smiled in return. "Then I'm happy to be of service, my lady."

"Good. So what have you been up to, my rogue?"

"Not much. Just teaching mostly…though frankly I was avoiding someone for the most part of it."

"Your Dad?"

"Mmm."

"Why? You seem to have such a good relationship with him."

"I do, it's just this…new woman he's been seeing. It had me on edge for awhile." He sighed. "Especially since I haven't been exactly honest myself."

Taking the hint, Myra's eye narrowed, "Ben…you haven't told your father have you?"

"No, not yet." He scratched his head. "I was going to then Melinda.."

"Melinda?"

"The lady Dad's seeing."

"Oh."

"Yeah, so I couldn't tell him of course; wasn't exactly the prime atmosphere for sharing good news. But I think, that's all behind us. We all had lunch together today and I think everything's going to be fine."

"You'll tell him tomorrow then?" She regarded him seriously.

He responded, "I will. You're not…mad at me are you?"

"Mad, no. Disappointed…just a tad…but I understand the circumstances." She tilted her head. "Besides, how can I turn down those baby blues?" Myra gave him a sensuous smile.

"Never could." Ben quipped.

"You're lucky."

"That I am…"

They locked gazes for a few moments, saying nothing.

"Well, as lovely as this is, I must get back to studying. These notes don't get memorized by themselves."

He grinned. "I suppose not. So, when can I see you?"

"Well, my finals don't end until Benduday (1), so I guess after that."

"Great, then we can celebrate."

"After you tell your father."

"I plan on it." He said defensively.

"Good, see you later, Ben." She murmured before the screen winked off.

"Ben?"

Ben jumped slightly at the voice, whirling to face his father. He sighed, his heart pounding behind his rib cage.

"Dad, it's you. You almost gave me a heart attack."

Luke frowned. "Of course it's me. Who else would it be?"

"Yoda's ghost."

"Oh, really?" His father's voice then took on that strange tone. "Hmm, hiding something I think you are young Skywalker yes?"

Ben rolled his eyes.

"Very funny. Though your Yoda impression sucks."

"And you never thought to tell me this?" Luke's eyes widened in mock horror. "And all this time I thought it was pretty good."

Ben retorted, chuckling, "Then you were delusional."

"Thanks," His father responded dryly. "It's good to know that I can count on family to tell me the truth."

He grinned. "Happy to correct your misconception then."

"Cute." Luke cocked his head. "So, what're you doing up so late?"

"Oh, I just got in…"

"And you decided to make a late night com-call?"

Ben shrugged, standing up. "Sure, why not."

Luke examined his son; he could have pushed further but decided against it. Ben would tell him when he wanted to, not beforehand. He nodded simply and turned back toward the bedroom.

"Don't stay up too late." He murmured, yawning widely.

"I won't," Ben promised. "Sleep well, Dad."

His father's door closed once more.

"I'll tell you tomorrow, Dad"
    "Ben!"

She had crept upon him so suddenly. He was sitting cross-legged on the floor of the meditation gardens. Hands covered his eyes. He could feel her mischievous nature shine through the Force. He smiled slowly, set on playing dumb for a second.

"Guess who?"

"Myra?" He asked, knowing full well who it was.

A voice harrumphed. "You're not funny. You know who it is!"

Ben grinned and pried her hands from his eyes. " That depends on who you ask; I like to think of it as a certain point of view thing."

Ben slowly turned around to face her. His fourteen-year old cousin, Allana Djo Solo stood there behind him, clearly displeased with his humor. He raised a curious eyebrow at her. It would have been quite obvious to anyone watching that he was enjoying messing with the Hapan princess.

"You're horrible." She said, practically pouting.

"And?"

"And you have appalling manners." Allana stated, lifting her chin. "You weren't raised by animals."

He chuckled. "Now, that might have been interesting."

Alllana sighed heavily, all too wearied by her cousin's lame jests. Ben, seeing his humor was not reaching her, sobered up and put on his no-nonsense face.

"Now, what can I do for you?"

Allana rolled her eyes. "You're even worse at being serious. Just be yourself."

"I try to—but that doesn't seem to work for you either." He was grinning now.

"That's because I am always the butt of your jokes."

"Not always."

"Half the time." She amended.

He shrugged. "I can't help it, Princess; you sort of leave yourself wide open."

She ignored this.

"What's wrong, Ben?"

"Nothing." He denied.

"Something is troubling you. You often use humor to mask how you truly feel."

"It's passed." Ben assured her. "I was just thinking about Dad, and this new step he's taking. You should have seen him with her."

"Who?"

"Melinda Rotham." He answered, resting his chin on his folded hands. "I've never seen Dad look so happy; not for a long time. Sure he's happy….but he
    hasn't been truly happy in that way since Mom. I never thought I'd see him like that; feel that certain lightness ever again." He turned to her. "But
    she's made that happen..."

"Then what's the problem.."

He whispered, eye focused downward, "The problem is I just can't shake this feeling of dread; like something is going to happen...to ruin it."

(1) Benduday: The last day of the Star Wars Galactic Week

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= [face_nail_biting] on the feeling of dread. Like Myra. :)

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Jedi having feelings of dread is never good. Let's hope Melinda doesn't become a "bunny boiler"...although that would be an interesting twist.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's never good when a Skywalker gets a bad feeling about something.

I like Myra. I can't wait to see more of her.

19. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    Great chapter.

20. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks to all for reading: Jade_eyes, Jedi_Lover, Briannakin and ccp.
    So the consensus for this chapter is...dread is not good for a Jedi/Skywalker and Myra is liked. Well, dread is never a good thing. It's like saying I have a bad feeling about this.. which this family is famous for lol [face_laugh] And I'm glad Myra is so well liked...when I first thought up her name..I was thinking about Mara.
    Chapter 12
    "An interview from whom?" Diana asked.

"Luke Skywalker." Demor, her Rodian editor said. "He's incredibly hard to get an interview out of, and frankly hasn't been in the public's good graces for awhile. I want you to get us what no one else has—an inside look at the Jedi Order.”

"The Luke Skywalker." She repeated.

"That's right." Demor said.

She smiled. "And you want me to get a scoop from him?"

"An interview." He corrected.

Diana smiled. "He must be hard to get an interview of if you're asking me."

"Extremely hard. Master Skywalker does not prefer to be in the limelight, what's more holos of him are hard to come by. Plus the Jedi Temple is like fortress, keeps out all unauthorized personnel."

She frowned. "So, how do I go about talking to him, much less getting to him?”

“You’re resourceful, I'm sure that won't be a problem for you. Though...” Demor paused “…one thing he is known for is being loyal to the Order he founded. He took the brunt of blame when the whole Darth Caedus incident occurred two years ago; you’re familiar with his exile eight years prior?”

"Yes,” She seemed to ponder this. “So I don't have anything to work with?"

"I wouldn't say that," Rodian turned around and grabbed a data disc off his desk. "We do have an image for you to go off of—and the basics. I have a list of things I’m sure the public would love to have answered.”

"I thought you said holos were hard to come by."

"I did, but I didn't say they were entirely nonexistent." He placed the data disc in her hand. "It's a decade old, but I still think it's helpful."
    Diana accepted the disc, looking at it for a moment.

"I trust you to pull this off?"

Diana smirked. "Does a Hutt secrete slime?"

"Yes, but let's not go bandying that around. I don't want a slander suit on my hands." He flipped his long fingers. "Off with you, I expect that story to be on my desk a week from now."

Diana took this as the signal that she was being dismissed.

She started to walk out the door. "Don't worry, Chief," She assured. "I've got this one in the bag."

Diana pulled out her datapad as she left the station and drew the disc out of her pocket. She popped it in, calling up the file as she headed for the nearest hovertram.

The image popped up on the screen just as she was nearing an ascending pedwalk. Diana stopped cold in her tracks, staring in astoundment at the image that was displayed upon the screen.

"Oh my…” Diana’s breath stilled in her throat. She’d been thinking about him and there he was, his visage plastered on the datapad’s screen. The man she’d seen in the café was none other than the Grand Master of the Jedi Order, Luke Skywalker.

“I look forward to meeting you, Master Skywalker.”

The words he'd spoken to Allana were still lodged within his brain. Was there truly something awful that was going to happen? Given his father's track record, Ben couldn't dismiss this feeling of dread he was feeling. He shook his head inwardly. It wouldn't do him any good to be having these thoughts while he was teaching. As his father always said, a distracted Jedi was a dangerous Jedi.

So, Ben continued with his daily routine, teaching a group of young initiates first before moving on to the more advanced students. During, training exercises in which the students had to deflect rapid laser fire, he pondered how he was going to go about telling his father that he was going to be a father-in-law. It should have been an easy task but Ben wanted it to be perfect; most importantly he wanted to leave no room for his father to quibble over the fact he hadn't told him.

He knew after this there would be a break in his schedule and that his father usually took a late lunch out in the peace and quiet of the Room of Thousand Fountains. When the chime signaled the end of the lesson, Ben dismissed the students and went in search of his father. He carried along with him his own meal, a light after lunch snack. He found him halfway down the large room.

His father, however, was not alone. Luke was watching a Kora Horn, play amongst the fountains, her mother, Aria dutifully watching her daughter frolic. Ben approached silently and took a seat beside his father. He unwrapped his snack, his eyes shifting from his father to young Kora.

"Having fun?" He asked conversationally.

Luke looked to him. "In a manner, yes," He paused. "I was just reminded when you were little."

"I wasn't a girl…" Ben pointed out.

Luke laughed lightly. "No, you weren't. But even children of opposite sexes have same mannerisms when they're young…seeming to enjoy the same things in life." He took a bite of his sandwich.

"You miss it?"Ben asked.

Luke swallowed his bite before replying. "Miss what?"

"Not having a little kid around."

Luke turned to look at him once more. He examined him as if thinking about Ben's words. "I suppose sometimes." He conceded. "But one can't turn back the hands of time, no matter how hard one wishes, can they? You're not little anymore, Ben. Guess, I'll have to wait until I have grandchildren."

"So you'd like that….grandchildren?"

Luke set aside his lunch sighing. "Ben, out with it. It's obvious you're getting at something."

"Answer me first. Would you like grandchildren?"

"Yes, eventually."

"I think that may happen sooner than later."

His father's jaw dropped slightly, and his eye widened.

"You didn't get Myra pregnant, did you?" He asked in an alarmed tone.

"What?!" Ben squawked. "No! What makes you think that?"

His father sighed, looking relieved. "Don't scare me like that. After all, I've taught you about carrying…"

"Don't start the protection speech." Ben gave an irked look. "And you don't have to say it like that." He muttered.

"I'm sorry. You just took me off guard."

Ben look stayed fixed. "One would think you'd be thrilled. Anyway, that's not what I was going to say…not entirely anyway."

"Ben…"

"I wanted to say there's a great possibility of you having grandchildren in the future." He paused for effect. "I asked Myra to marry me…..and she agreed." He looked into his father's eyes, gauging his expression.

The realization of his son's words broke over him like a giant wave, and the look on his face was priceless. It was half stunned, half joyous. His father was quiet for a long while.

"Dad?"

Luke finally regained his speech after a moment.

"Sorry, you just…"

"Took you by surprise. Yeah, I seem to do that a lot." Ben said dryly. "Well, say something."

"Oh, Ben," Luke broke out in a wide grin. "That's wonderful. " He reached over and embraced his son warmly. "That's terrific." Tears began to pour from his eyes and stream down his cheeks as he clutched Ben tighter now.

"Dad, ugh, you're crushing me…I can't breathe."

"What?" Seeing his son was slightly struggling for air, Luke released him. A smile lit up his features until he was beaming from ear to ear. "I got a little carried away." He then ran a hand through Ben's hair. "I'm just so happy for you. This is great news."

"Myra and I thought so too." Ben responded with a laugh.

Luke ruffled his son's hair. "Smart mouth." His eyes then softened considerably, his lips still turned up. "My son….getting married. Where has the time gone?"

Ben looked at his father's eyes, noticing them twitch a certain way.

He groaned, "You're not going to cry on me are you?"

"Too late." Luke joked.

He hugged Ben to him once more. Ben struggled against Luke, noticing now he had the full attention of Aria as well as other Jedi that had wandered
    into the room.

"Dad, let go." He said. "People are starting to stare." He tried to pull himself free. "Dad, come on. I'd like to keep this quiet until we meet with Myra."

Luke eventually released his son. "All right. I guess I've embarrassed you."

"You say that like that's a new thing."

His father took a swat at him

"There goes that mouth again."

Ben dodged, getting to his feet. "Again, not a new thing." He grinned widely.

His father shook his head. "So, when exactly is this going to happen; the sharing of the news not the wedding. Although that's just as important."

Ben kept his voice low. "Myra's got finals until Benduday, so we're going have dinner after that."

Luke nodded. "Sounds good." He paused in thought. "We'll have to make the arrangements for seven."

"Seven. Why seven?" Ben look baffled.

"You don't intend to let this news go by without telling the rest of your family do you?"

"We will. I just wanted it to be us three; a small celebration then we can tell the rest of the family."

Luke looked unhappy at this. "You know your aunt's going to be heart-broken if I don't tell her."

"Dad, don't tell anyone. I don't want them finding out before Myra gets a chance to tell them."

His father huffed dramatically. "Fine. Break your Aunt Leia's heart."

"Promise me."

"I promise."

"Great, I've got to go." He checked his chrono. "My break's up. Enjoy your lunch—and remember keep it quiet."

"Yes, yes." Luke flicked his hand in dismissal. "Go."

Ben left the sanctity of the Room of a Thousand fountains, heading off to his next class and his father once more resumed his meal. However, unbeknownst to the two, little prying ears had caught wind of the whole conversation. Little Fel ears to be exact.

Jagged Fel II grinned happily and scampered off before he was sighted.

Falcon likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    HA! Ben scared his old man with the grandchild stuff. Ben's getting married! [:D] It's about time.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Dawwww. Wonderful father/son moment!

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet father/son moment. @};- You can tangibly feel their closeness. :)

24. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Yes, the Skywalker line must continue.

Thanks, this is a particular favorite one of mine...I bust a gut everytime I think about Luke's immediate reaction: pregnant. lol

25. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I'd like to thank Blackfish, for originally helping me out and Jedi_Lover, with some other stuff that needed to be looked at first. Thanks to all who are reading this...Although this story is far from finished..most of this was pre-written so after 14 I will be officially caught up; this thread will be updated when I write out the chapters as per usual. ​
    Chapter 13
    After he was done with his lunch, Luke retreated back to his office; his mind still racing with the news his son had just given him. He always knew this day would eventually come, that Ben would find the girl he'd want to marry. He'd always hoped that Ben would have an easier time finding a mate than he had. His love life had always been disastrous and there had been a time when Luke had resigned himself unfit for any type of romance. He'd wondered if there was truly something wrong with him that caused women to leave him one way or the other.

Then he'd realized how he felt for Mara—something he admitted he should have realized a long time ago. But both he and Mara had their own problems; problems which for better or worse were better off being dealt with before either of them could move forward in that way.

He thanked the gods Ben had only had to deal with one case of heartbreak. It wasn't something he'd wish on anyone much less his own child—even if a little heartbreak was necessary. That was life though; only through suffering he learned could beings achieve their goals.

He entered the Master's chambers, and headed for the door that led to his inner office. Stepping through the second doorway, he eyed the stack of datadiscs that were pulled high on his desk and noticed the blinking red light coming from his com station. He crossed over to his desk, ignoring the discs, and pressed the button. He had one message.

"Luke, it's Melinda…I got to thinking after we parted at the café…that we haven't really had a private sit down dinner. So I was thinking maybe you could come over to my home and I'll cook you some. I know I just saw you yesterday, but I long to see your face again…"

Luke froze slightly at these words. Similar words from another woman had been uttered to him in a similar manner. He realized he'd phased out and had to replay the message again, this time intent on listening to it.

"...Tell me how that sounds. Call me back all right. 'Till then."

Luke stared at the receiver for a moment before sitting down in the chair behind his desk. It was true he had just seen her yesterday, but they'd had Ben joining them so it wasn't quite the same. He admitted to himself it would be nice to meet with her in a venue that wasn't a public setting. Somewhere nice and cozy, maybe catch a holo.

He stopped himself mid thought.

"I'm acting like this is a date…" He muttered, running a hand through his hair.

Isn't it?

Luke cocked his head to the side, considering the voices question. Was there anything wrong if it was a date? He supposed not. He did genuinely like Melinda deeply, but he was still hesitant. He thought back to what Mara had said. His wife didn't want him to be miserable, she wanted to see him happy and she'd assured him that his heart wasn't betraying her.

Basically, Mara had given him her blessing to move on.

Yet, as much she had encouraged him, there was still lingering doubts in his heart. He'd loved many women in his life time, but not as deeply as he had loved Mara Jade. When he married her, he had thought it would be forever, he'd promised her forever. He hadn't been able to keep his promise to his wife. He had lost her so unfairly and he thought he would never feel that way about another woman ever again.

Then Melinda came into his life; an intelligent beautiful woman who seemed to reignite this passion in him that he hadn't felt in a long time. And as much as he tried, he couldn't deny it any longer; those feelings were there and they weren't going away. He didn't know how to properly classify them and he wasn't entirely sure where this relationship would lead, and he couldn't help but think back to Mara. How they had wasted so many years being friends when they could have been more, how they had missed opportunities.

Again they'd both had a lot of baggage, so it was understandable, but Luke had to wonder if circumstances had been different would it have been possible for the outcome to have been different. Would he and Mara have gotten together sooner if things hadn't been the way they had been, and if so would he have passed it up?

Could he pass this relationship up when it was blatantly obvious he was being given a chance; a second chance even? What would it hurt to see where it led?

Indeed.

It reminded him of an old saying he'd heard.

"It's better to have loved and lost," He murmured. "..then to have never have loved at all."

Taking that as his final decision, Luke commed Melinda back, praying that she would pick up.

"Melinda," Luke began when she picked up. "I think I'd like that private dinner, but instead of you cooking, how about you come over to my place and I cook."
    In addition to the holo, Diana also found additional information. Basic physical stats, a brief biography, family ties and affiliations. It was bare bones information, but enough to get her started. She tapped the screen, contemplating how she would go about meeting him. Most would have called this a spot of good fortune on her part, but she knew this was no coincidence. She examined the holo, taking in every detail.

There was no doubt that Luke Skywalker was the man she had seen in the café. The man had aged remarkably well so it had been easy to make the connection. Now, she was in a slight predicament; she wanted to get close to him, but she couldn't let her desires interfere with her work—she was a professional after all. Diana was the best at her job which was why Demor had given this assignment to her. She wasn't about to fail.

"I have to approach this professionally." She murmured, believing a trip to the Galactic Library in order. Her stomach growled belligerently. "I guess food is in order first." She hadn't eaten nor slept since she had set to finding who her mystery man was.

Diana gathered her things together, dropped a cred chip on the table, and left the pub. Halfway to the hovertram, she realized she was more tired than she thought. She would have to forgo the library for today. She took the hovertram further into the center of Coruscant and stopped at her favorite eatery that was just off of Fellowship Plaza.

Perhaps, she'd drop by the Jedi Temple before returning home. Who knew…maybe she'd catch a glimpse of the esteemed Grand Master. Diana chuckled at the thought, thinking it highly unlikely she could be so fortunate twice in one week.
    Luke lifted his eyes from his work, checking the chrono.

"What time is it?" He queried.

He noticed that it was well after quitting time and decided to stop for the day. He turned off his terminal and put away his datapad, leaving the untouched datadiscs right where they were. He retreated to his chambers, checking the refrigeration unit. There were a few odds and ends in it but not enough for a full meal. Same went for the cupboards.

He stood back contemplating what he actually wanted to make her. He knew whatever it is was, he had no ingredients for it here. He'd have to go out and get it. Luke took leave of the Temple, passing his students in the hallway.

"Grand Master!" A voice called.

Luke turned to find Corran Horn jogging after him, a sly grin on his face. The Jedi Master sighed deeply, highly anticipating what Horn's next words were going to be.

"Yes, Corran?" Luke murmured, trying to keep any weariness out of his voice.

Corran slowed. "Heading somewhere? Like maybe to meet a certain someone..."

He sighed. "Who else knows?"

"Not a lot of people." Corran assured. "Just a select few."

"In other words, you and Mirax."

"Yes, the kids might know. Valin and Jysella have their own resources after all. Valin won't take it past himself, even for Aria."

"And how did you find out?"

"Mirax."

"Let me guess, she got the news from Leia."

He nodded then spoke seriously, "Listen, Luke. I not going to press you, but...I do wish you the best." He clapped his friend on the shoulder, and turning to leave, called out:"Don't forget, we have a Council meeting tomorrow morning, so don't stay up too late, Grand Master—and don't do anything I wouldn't do."

Luke shook his head ruefully, chuckling to himself as he watched Corran disappear back into the Temple. He pondered his friend's cryptic words, considering himself quite lucky to have the friends he did. He knew he could always count on their constant support when he needed them. He'd had it back when Mara had died; back when he felt the lowest of the low. They had been there, they had understood and had supported and backed him and accepted extra duties when he'd been a shameful mess.

He stood still for another second before turning on his heel to pass through the main gate.

"Good evening, Grand Master." Seha Dorvald greeted him.

Luke turned to gauge the young Knight. "Good evening, Jedi Dorvald." He greeted. "Out on guard duty I see."

"Yes, Grand Master."

"Handling it well?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Good." Luke turned to look at the other Knight on duty, nodding hello. The Knight was a Twi'lek male but beside that, Luke didn't know anything about
    him.

The Knight nodded back. "Have a nice evening, Grand Master."

Luke smiled slightly. "I intend to; thank you."
    Diana stepped out of the diner, eyes focused on the large pyramidal structure that was the Jedi Temple. She walked a good ways before, ascending up into Fellowship Plaza. She brought out a sweet roll, biting into it as she eyed the structure. When her editor quoted the Jedi Temple being like a fortress, it wasn't a misstatement. From her research, the Temple had been structured much differently during the days of the Old Republic. Demor had glibly offered the reasoning for the drastically changed architecture was to prevent disastrous events like that of Order 66, and what had happened to the Old Republic Jedi during that time period.

She wasn't convinced it had been useful since the tumultuous conditions instigated by former Chief of State Daala, led the Temple to being laid siege upon by her Mando lackeys. It was said that Daala had given the Mandolorian leader the license to do whatever he deemed necessary. Of course she also claimed to be absolved from whatever he did, since she virtually had no control over what measures he decided to take.

Diana snorted. Typical of a bureaucrat in pow-

Her thought was cut short as she collided with another being. She stepped back jarred by the sudden impact. Luckily for Diana, she didn't fall but simply lost her footing a bit. Unfortunately, she dropped her box of sweet rolls in the process—including the one she'd been eating.

"Blast!" She cursed.

Diana watched as a single hand reached out to retrieve the box.

"I'm sorry." A gentle voice apologized. "I must not have been watching where I was going."

Upturned blue eyes, locked on her hazel ones and her breath stilled in that instant.