main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends After Her - Update 01/19/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmeraldJediFire, Jan 25, 2013.

1. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    We'll leave that for TSP. But I cant picture Luke in a speedo..maybe different kind of bathing suti

Jade_eyes likes this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    How about C-ring square cut swim shorts?

Jade_eyes likes this.
  3. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    @ccp, Briannakin, Jade_eyes, Jedi_Lover

Chapter 17​
    .​
    Melinda’s visit carried on way into late evening, the chrono reaching 02100. Luke had shown her several holos of Ben as a child and Melinda had marveled in them. In her eyes, Luke saw not only a woman, but a mother just like his wife had been. He saw the tenderness of a mother’s love for a child…and joy for a child that wasn’t even her own.

“He’s so precious.” She murmured and set the holo back. “You must be very proud of him.”

Melinda looked up at him, a joyful light in her eyes as she smiled brilliantly.

His heart let out a particularly loud thump—a moment which startled him. Luke couldn’t bring himself to speak for fear that the emotion in his voice would betray him. He willed his heart to be quiet as if she would be able to hear it. However, he was well aware that he had no control over it at the moment.

He wasn’t exactly sure what had caused this reaction in him. No, that wasn’t entirely true.

Is it Melinda? He wondered.

What was it about Melinda at this moment that set apart from all other moments he’d spent with her. What was it about this moment that caused his heart to let out a particularly loud thump, that had startled even himself?

He thought about it some more and all he could recall from a few minutes ago was that dazzling smile, and the happiness that surged within her when he had earnestly spoke about Ben.

Was that it? Could it be so….simple?

“Luke?”

He blinked and raised his eyes.

“Yes?”
    She touched the back of his hand with her fingers. “Are you all right? You’re not ill are you?” Melinda then reached up and placed her palm on his forehead. She frowned. “You don’t feel feverish though.”

Luke willed himself to snap out of his stupor. “I’m fine, Melinda.” He assured her.

“If you’re sure?”

He saw the worry in her eyes and the last thing he wanted was to frighten her.

He smiled. “I’m sure.”

She studied him a bit more. “Well, it’s getting late, I really must be going.” Melinda said, getting to her feet. “I’ve got to get up early tomorrow; Senator Boyle is completely useless without me.”

“All right.” He murmured, trying to shake off his sudden nervousness.

She turned around and looked up into his eyes, examining his facial features. “Luke,” She touched his hand once more. “You needn’t look as if you’ve startled me off; I’m not going to disappear.”

Luke’s mouth twitched as he processed her words. He didn’t know quite to what to say. All he knew was that whatever he’d been feeling must’ve been quite evident on his face.

“Melinda…”

Melinda reached up and placed two fingers on his lips. “You don’t have to say anything.” She assured then dropped her hand.

“If you’re sure.”

She smiled. “I’m sure.”

Luke nodded and cast a glance around his chambers. “I’ll walk you home.”

A smile tugged at her lips. “No, that’s no necessary.”

“I insist.”

Melinda studied him, tempted to rebuff his offer, but saw the heartfelt earnestness in it. She sighed heavily.

“Very well,” She looked up into his eyes once more. “But only to my taxi...”

Luke opened his mouth to protest.

“No. I’ve made my decision; you needn’t have to wait with me.”

“Let me call you an airtaxi then.”

She nodded.
    After he placed a call to the taxi company, Luke guided Melinda out of the tower and down to the ground floor. He noticed how she kept a steady hand on his arm as they proceeded through the Temple’s large entrance. The wind was blowing heavily at the moment, rustling their hair and clothing. He and Melinda stood in the shelter of the alcove, making small talk and taking in the night air, until the taxi arrived.

The feeling that had overtaken him earlier had waned considerably. He now felt he could speak and wouldn’t lose his composure.

“Tonight was nice.” Luke said. “I had a wonderful time, Melinda.”

“I did too. I haven’t had this much fun in a long time.” She responded then smiled. “You…certainly give me something to look forward to everyday, Luke.” Melinda had her hand laid warmly on his upper arm.

He smiled in return. “You do the same for me.” Luke paused. “It wasn’t so clear for me before….but I’m glad to have gotten to know you like I have.”
    The next morning, Luke found himself sitting across from his brother-in-law who was wearing a smarmy grin. He sipped at his caf trying to dismiss the conspiratorial looks Han was sending his way.

“If Leia sent you, she’s not getting anything out of me, Han.”

Han’s eye widened. “You think that’s what I’m here for? You know, contrary to your opinion I don’t always do your sister’s bidding.”

Luke sighed heavily and picked up his datapad. “Then why are you here?”

The Correlian shook his head. “Did it ever occur to you that we might be genuinely interested in your life—or are you tucked so far into your shell that you don’t see that?” Han’s tone now was one of rebuke. “I’m here because I want to know what’s going on with you…how this relationship with Melinda is going; if you’re happy.”

Luke brought up his head and gave a timid smile. “I’m sorry, Han.” His voice was tinged with remorse.

“Don’t be; I know things have been tough on you since Mara died; nobody would hold how you’re feeling right now against you,” He paused. “I just want you to know there are people there for you; who care about you.”

“I know, Han.” Luke nodded and set the ‘pad away. “I’m just…having a hard time dealing with the constant intrusion into my private life. It’s beginning to feel like this relationship I have with Melinda isn’t mine…not when everyone is constantly overly concerned with it.”

“So you’d rather people not be concerned with how you’re feeling.” Han stated.

“I just feel they’re putting too much stock into it all…I’m not sure how I feel. It doesn’t make it easier with everyone poking and prodding at me.”

Han took a drink of whiskey. “Level with me then….as a friend: how exactly do you feel?”

Luke shrugged. “Honestly, I’m not sure. When I’m with her….I feel good about myself, about my life, but beyond that, I’m just not sure.”

He wanted to tell Han more; tell him how he felt when Melinda had smiled, but his heart and head were still in turmoil. He knew…yet he didn’t know.

Luke soon came to realize Han was regarding him curiously.

“You okay?” He asked.

“Not really, but I’ll make it through.”

Han nodded and didn’t press the issue further.

“Look, Kid, whatever decision you make…that’s entirely yours. I just want you to know….whatever it is, your sister and I are behind you 100%--and I’ll bet you anything that the rest of your friends feel the same way.”

Luke smiled sadly. “Thanks, Han. That really means a lot.”

“Don’t mention it,” Han drained the rest of his whiskey and got up. “That’s what I’m here for. I’ve got to go though; your sister’s expecting me back soon—told her I was going out to get something from the Falcon real quick.”

He walked over and clapped a hand on Luke’s shoulder.

“Take it easy okay—one step at a time.”

“I will, Han.”

Luke watched his brother-in-law walk off until he could no longer see him He thoughtfully mulled over what Han had said. He knew, of course, that his friends and family did care, but even as much as they cared….it was impossible for them to relate to how he was feeling at this moment.

He was uncertain; not entirely sure what exactly he wanted or how he even felt. Oh, he knew what he had felt, but uncertainty was still there. He hung his head, placing his head in his hands and let out a heavy breathe.

He just wasn’t certain about anything at the moment.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Splentabulous! =D= =D= Luke is getting closer to defining the what exactly he is feeling [face_dancing] Loving the continued realness @};- :)

Gemma likes this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I say go for it Luke! Ghost Mara gave you the thumbs up, your son likes her...what else do you need?

Gemma, Falcon and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, Farmboy. What are we going to do with you? Even Mara said go for her!

That being said, Luke is very in character.

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Okay, after wrestling with part of this for awhile its finally ready. Initially it was supposed to be longer but, I was too frustrated by that point lol. So I hope you all enjoy the new chapter!

Yes, Luke is indeed approaching closer to how he feels, but he's still wrestling with it. Mara may have given him the green light, but I think that's what has him uncertain. I truly thought having Mara say its okay would work..but it didn't. Luke's a very stubborn/faithful man.

@Briannakin, @Jade_eyes, @Jedi_Lover
    Chapter 18

Luke remained at the café table for a good thirty minutes more. He needed to clear his head, and he couldn’t do that at home. His mind was constantly racing with thoughts of Melinda, so much so he thought his head might explode. He shook his head lightly and set his cup of tea aside, reaching for his datapad that he’d pushed off to the side.

He needed to clear his mind.
    He absentmindedly clicked to a newspaper tab and brought up the Coruscant Times—odd. Luke flicked through it, searching for something to catch his interest, until he came upon an article on sublevel living. The sublevel living the article was speaking of was of Coruscant, and the reporter who had written the story was…Diana Landon.

It was a hard hitting piece that marked the truth about Coruscant’s lower levels. The topic had been touched upon before, but this article unearthed the gritty realizations The plain facts that most upper level citizens often never saw and often ignored as if it were a beggar on the street. Instead of the article continue where Luke thought it was going, it began to speak of the improvements being made since they had first reclaimed Coruscant.

Luke read through it, noting with fascination at the various aspects considered. The article, of course, focused primarily upon the inhabitants, but it also noted improvements to the lower levels themselves, steps the government had taken, and various holos of the reformation. The article itself was hard-hitting, while still remaining poignant; he could feel Landon’s heart when he read this article.

He couldn’t help but note the in-depth reporting and obvious passion driving her words. He thought back to the previous night when Landon had voiced her desire to do a report an in-depth report on the Jedi Order. He set his hand in his chin, furrowing his brow in thought. The Jedi Order had long since become the object of public scorn, a fact Luke had been unable to rectify. He knew it was due to his own failing in presenting the Jedi in a light the whole galaxy could relate to, but at the time he hadn’t felt it necessary.

Now, however, he realized his handling of the entire situation was entirely wrong. He didn’t need to be assuring the galaxy that the Jedi were protecting them, he needed to be showing them because words only went so far. If the galaxy couldn’t trust the Jedi, then they had no hope of their cooperation ever again. Maybe this Diana Landon was the key to getting the Jedi back on track.

When he was done reading it, he scrolled back up to the top to note the title which he’d initially passed over: Deep in the Underbelly.

A small holo of Landon herself was situated in the upper left beside the column. He eyed the image, gnawing on his bottom lip in thought. Diana Landon was as good-looking as he remembered from the previous night; she had that same charming smile with the same slate colored eyes.

He sat back in his chair and thought about their meeting; she’d been very professional, but again had obviously been sizing him up, even flirted with him. Now, his first instinct would have been to avoid the woman entirely since she obviously would probably make things difficult, but he couldn’t dismiss the article and how he felt when he read it. It really was a stunning piece.

He dug in his mind, recalling the comm code she had gifted him with and shrugged. What harm could it do to meet with her about the article and find out the premise of what she had planned?

He made up his mind then and there and dialed in her comm frequency. As he waited for Landon to pick up, he eyed the article again.

“Diana Landon speaking.”

“Ms. Landon.”

“Yes, who may I ask is speaking?”

“Luke Skywalker. I’d like to talk to you about the article.”

Oh.” Surprise was evident in her voice. “Master Skywalker, I didn’t expect to hear back from you so soon.”

“Yes.” He took a breath. “I thought about your request and I’d liked us to meet.”

There was a pause on the other end of the line. “That’s great.” He could hear a slight ruffling in the background, shifting of flimsy. “We can meet….” Another
    pause. “What would be good for you?” she asked, her tone remaining light and professional, but obviously enthusiastic.

“This afternoon, Morning Court of the Jedi Temple. At….01400”

“The Temple?” She seemed surprised.

“That’s no problem surely. You wanted to write an article on the Order.”

A throat cleared. “Yes, of course. I just assumed if this was a preliminary meeting we’d be doing it in a more public place.”

“True, but I prefer to have more privacy. If the sludge holozines caught wind of this, I could have more attention than I want.”

“All right. Morning Court it is. How do I get in? Your Temple is like fortress.”

“I’ll provide the necessary documents and authorization; make sure the security knows to expect you.”

“Sounds good.”

“Good, I’ll see you at 01400 then, Ms. Landon.”

“Yes, I look forward to it, Master Skywalker.”

The comm link clicked off, leaving Luke to himself once more. He stared at the comm link still resting in his hand before pocketing it. He put away his datapad and finished up what was left of his tea. When he was done, he rose from his seat, leaving the needed credits on the table, and left the café.

He wasn’t sure what possessed him to make that comm call, but he had a feeling that he had made the right decision. The universe needed a good picture of the Jedi after all, beyond what they were told.

Yes, perhaps this was the right direction to take; a step forward to repair the Jedi’s image in the public’s eye.

His mind drifted to an entirely different woman this time: Melinda.

And perhaps somewhere along the way, he’d also be able to sort out his own private issues.
    “Ben.”

Ben turned to see his cousin, Jaina heading straight for him. She had a determined look upon her face, and her pace was quick and resolute. She was a woman on a mission.

“Hey,” He tried to give her an affectionate smile. “What’s going on?”

“That’s what I’m trying to find out.”

“Eh?”

She stopped briefly, then looked around, gesturing with her head. “Come with me; we need to talk.”

“We do?”

“Yes,” She sighed. “…but not here, somewhere private.”

Ben glanced at her curiously. “All right.” He said slowly, reluctantly, but followed after her. “So, are you going to tell me what’s got you acting a shaved Wookie?”

She gestured once more, this time with her hand, and slipped out into the Meditation Gardens. Ben followed her and looked around; it was empty. His cousin kept walking until they were further into the gardens, stopping by a large piece of shrubbery.

He gave her a perplexed look. “Okay, now, are you going to tell me what’s going on?”

“That’s what I’m trying to find out…you see I’ve got a small child and he’s got the biggest ears and biggest mouth to match it and he’s been whispering to me about some secret about a wedding, but the thing is…he won’t tell me much else.”

Ben swore inwardly. Aw, kriff, Myra is going to kill me.

“So, what’s that have to do with me?” He asked nonchalantly, trying to play it off.

“Don’t do that.”

“Do what?”

She sighed. “Act like you don’t know what I’m talking about cause I’m fairly sure you do.”

“But I really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about, Jaya.”

Jaina snorted. “Don’t hand me that bantha fodder, Ben. You seem to forget I have nineteen years on you, so don’t try to hand me some claptrap story.” She paused, adding a bit of menace to her tone. “You can either do this the easy way or the hard way…and you won’t like the hard way, Ben.”

Ben looked back into his cousin’s brown eyes and knew she meant business. Jaina wasn’t going to give up when she thought she had a sure thing; she had that Solo mentality his Uncle Han was noted for. He sighed with a sag of his shoulders.

“All right…” he raised his hands in surrender. “You win, I’ll tell.” He gestured. “Have a seat.”

“I’ll stand thanks.”

Ben shrugged. “Okay, now, where should I start?”

“What’s this secret my son is refusing to tell me?”

“Oh, right, well its nothing you didn’t know.”

“Just humor me.” She deadpanned.

“Myra and I are getting married…and I told Dad. That’s all.”

“That’s all.”

She set her lips as if thinking about this. “So, basically I just went all Darksider on your ass for nothing.”

“Basically.” He arched a brow. “What did you think it was going to be about?”

“I just found it odd is all…Jett told me about it when I saw your Dad and Melinda. I guess he heard you guys talking about it and it triggered .”

Ben nodded. “Sounds about right.”

She looked back at him. “So, nobody else knows about this except me and your dad now?”

“Right, and you can’t tell anybody. If I Myra finds out it got out before she got to tell the rest of our family, I’ll be a dead man.”

Jaina grinned.

“What?”

“She already has you trained; I knew there was something I liked about her." She started to head back inside. “So, tell me when do I get to see you balance a ball on your nose like a trained animal?”

Gemma and Falcon like this.
  8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Bwhahaha. I love Jaina in that last scene. Soo much like her father.

Great update. I'm not looking forward to the meeting with Diana though.

Falcon likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool stuff on Luke's decision and I have a feeling Luke will charm Diana like the rest of us ;) Your mature Luke is very much in character, lovable and principled. =D= Great contrast of tones with the cousinly scene [face_laugh] Jaina is fun to write, and to read... :D

Falcon likes this.
  10. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Nice.

11. masterjeedaiansari

masterjeedaiansari Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2004
    after not being on the fanfiction site for quite someetime, i come back to such a wonderful story.keep it up

12. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Briannakin: You really think so?
    Jade_eyes: He probably will...its his nature...he draws people to him. The cousins scenes are always my favorite.
    ccp: thank you!
    masterjeedaiansari: thanks this is one I really love writing
    Chapter 19

Ben entered the Grand Master’s chambers and took off his outer robes. He had sensed his father on the way up to the upper level. Luke’s aura was a whirl of anticipation and intense concentration.

“Dad!” He called out, pausing to look around.

When his father didn’t respond, he pressed onward.
    He passed from the anteroom into the office. His father was hunched over his desk, studiously working on various documents strewn over it. He was just picking up a datadisk when Ben entered.

Luke looked up, noticing his son lurking in the doorway.

“What’s going on?” Ben asked.

“Just going through my paperwork.”

“Okay…” His nose wrinkled slightly.

His father apparently caught this and asked, “Something wrong.”

“I just thought I sensed something; something wrong, Dad?”

Luke gave his son a weary smile. “No, not really. I’m just swamped. I need to get these documents done before 1400.”

“Why 1400?”

The Grand Master set aside one stack of documents and popped the datadisk he’d been holding into a datareader. “I’ve got someone coming to the Temple to do an interview; she’s a reporter for the Coruscant Times. Her name is Diana Landon.”

“An interview?” Ben sounded extremely surprised. “Since when do you give interviews?”

. “I know, I know,” A smile crept into his voice. “I just thought it was time to break those constraints.” He turned to eye his son directly. “The Jedi Order hasn’t been doing so well in the public eye, not since Jacen.”

“I know that.” Ben said.

“I met Ms. Landon last night before I had dinner with Melinda. I went out to the store to pick up some items.”

“You could have gotten someone else to do that.” Ben pointed out.

Luke sighed. “Sometimes it means more if you do it yourself, Ben. It shows the person how much you mean to them.” He frowned suddenly. “But we’re straying from the original subject now. As I was saying, I met Ms. Landon last night; she introduced herself and told me she wanted to have an interview me for the purpose of doing a piece on the Order. At the time I hadn’t been sure until I read an article from Ms. Landon on the under city.

“Hasn’t that been done before though?”

“It has, but Ms. Landon brought a whole new depth to the subject, and I started thinking that maybe…just maybe that sort of reporting and style could break the barrier between the Jedi and the regular citizenry.”

“So, what ..like an inside look at the Order?”

“Exactly.”

Ben chewed the inside of his mouth.

“Something wrong, Ben?”

“Not wrong. It’s just…you sure you want to do this? You’ve never been a big paparazzi buff.”

“This is hard-hitting journalism, son. Not some sleemo tabloid.”

“I know. It’s just weird, you agreeing to it.” He shrugged. “Then again you’re doing a lot of stuff you usually wouldn’t do lately.”

Luke smiled. “I suppose I am.” He picked up the datapad. “Anything else?”

“No. Look, I’m going to take a nap and leave you to your work.” He started for the apartment door. “Can you do me a favor and wake me up in an hour?”

Luke looked at the chrono on his desk. “Sure, but don’t expect me to do that regularly.”

“You already do.” Ben retorted with a grin.

“Yes, and you’re so lucky I love you.”

“I suppose I am.” Ben mimicked before disappearing within the apartment.

Luke watched the door close and shook his head. He had to get this paperwork out of the way before he could even think about giving this interview.

Meanwhile, the gears in his brain were turning full-throttle as his mind kept drifting back to Melinda. He cared for her very deeply and saw her as rock in the rough sea that was his personal life. He stopped at this thought. Years ago, he had attributed this metaphor to his beloved wife, Mara. She had been his rock in many ways…but still Melinda meant something to him; she was his rock as well but in a different capacity that Mara had been.

He sighed and shoved aside his current task, rubbing his eyes. Hopefully, he could handle this coming interview better than he was his current personal situation.
    “You actually got the interview with him?” Randall murmured, sounding skeptical.

Diana smiled confidently. “I did, is that such a surprise?”

“Well,” He scratched the back of his head. “The way you told it to me last night I thought for sure he was going to turn you down. You probably intimidated the poor man.”

She made a dismissive sound. “Intimidated please.” She picked up her satchel. “From what I’ve read, Luke Skywalker is the last man to be so easily intimated by anything.”

“Maybe women are different matter.” Randall countered.

Diana wrinkled her knows. “Is that what you think this is all about, Randall?”

“Isn’t it?”

She scowled and put down her pack. “Contrary to what you and the rest of my colleagues think…it has never been about that.”

“Then what is it?” He challenged.

She sighed. "Truth be told I’m not sure; not entirely.” She paused. “But when I’m with older men, they make me feel safe, like they don’t expect anything of me. It’s comforting to be around them.” She took on a wistful look, but recovered quickly. “But right now I’ve got an interview to conduct. I’ll see you later, Old Man.”

With that, Diana left the shop without casting so much as backward glance at him.
    Diana arrived at the Jedi Temple, staring at the two Knights that seemed to guard the door like great big watch cats. She eyed them intently then finally mounted the steps to approach them.

One female Knight turned to her and asked, “What business do you have in the Temple?”

The woman had a formal tone and obviously took her duty very personally. An obvious paragon of an exemplary Jedi Knight, Diana mused.

When the female Knight continued to eye her, she brought out her press badge. “Diana Landon, I’m a reporter with the Coruscant Times. I’m here upon Master Skywalker’s request….”

The woman exchanged a glance with her fellow Knight. She made a gesture with her eyes then turned back to face Diana.

“Ah, yes. We’ve been expecting you, Ms. Landon.” She craned her head and turned, depressing the button near the door. “I’m Jedi Seha Dorvald. Someone should be here to escort you to meet with the Grand Master.”

Diana put her badge away. “Thank you.”

A few minutes later the door slid open to reveal a tall boy—no young man—with fiery red hair and piercing blue eyes. He was dressed in dark clothing as opposed to the tans being worn by the other Jedi at the entrance.

“I’m Ben Skywalker; you must be Ms. Diana Landon, correct?”

Diana didn’t respond at first, then seeing the youth was staring at her, cleared her head.

“Yes, that’s correct.” Diana responded calmly. “I’m here to speak with the Grand Master about an article I’m writing.”

“I know.” He waved his hand. “Come with me, the Grand Master is expecting you.”

She nodded in return and followed young Skywalker into the Temple’s inner nave. Diana cast one look back watching the doors behind her before
    facing forward once more.

“You’re...Luke Skywalker’s boy, aren’t you?”

“The one and only, yes.” He gave her a slight smile. “Dad told me you’d be coming. I offered to meet you and escort you to him.”

“That’s very thoughtful of you.”

Skywalker shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. “I do what I can. I didn’t want to pull anyone else away from their duties and since I was available, here I am.”

“I see.”

Never before had Diana been rendered so speechless. The youth acted properly as any Jedi Knight would she supposed; showing her due courtesy where visitors were due, but she couldn’t help but feel the youth held some sort of hostility toward her. Unfounded hostility at that.

She shook her head inwardly.

No, she must’ve been imagining it.

Gemma likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Liked seeing more of Diana and Ben with her and his dad :D You write Ben very well =D=

Gemma likes this.
  14. masterjeedaiansari

Oct 30, 2004
  15. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    Good

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Great chapter. Will Ben join the interview? I hope so because I just want to see more of him :D

Jade_eyes likes this.
  17. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Jade_eyes: I think there has to be a little bit of interaction between all of those two to get the overall affect. (And thanks!)
    masterjeedaiansari, ccp: thanks!
    Briannakin: Perhaps, if the moments calls for it.

Jade_eyes, masterjeedaiansari, ccp, Briannakin
    Chapter 20​
    .​
    Ben led the woman through the main entrance hall.​
    “So you’re Luke Skywalker’son.” She said again, attempting to start a conversation.

“I have a name you know.” He said, rolling his eyes slightly. “It’s Ben.”

Diana glanced, surprised by his relaxed speech.

“Of course, I’m sorry.” She apologized.

“That’s all right.” He assured. “That’s most people’s response when they meet me. I’ve learned to deal with.” He looked at her. “I just thought you should remember the name of who’s escorting you.”

She winced. “Looks like I’m getting off to a horrible start.” She laughed humorlessly. “Do you mind if we start over?”

“Not all.” He stopped and stuck out his hand. “Ben.”

She did likewise, clasping his hand with hers. “Diana.”

“Pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise.”

The continued their walk on to the designated meeting spot.

“So, Ben, what’s it like to be Jedi?”

He looked sideways at her. “Sorry, no can do.”

“Pardon?”

“Unauthorized interviews are strictly forbidden. If you want to talk to me, you’ll have to go to the top.”

“I see—and the top would be the Grand Master.”

“The Council actually, but if you can get it approved by him I’m sure it would slide.”

“Well, I wouldn’t want to step anyone’s toes. I suppose I’ll go through the proper channels; I do like to do things by the book.”

“Good, that’s how Dad like’s to do things around here.” She followed him through a grand archway, leading into a tranquil looking garden.

This didn’t look like a courtyard.

He turned his head, as if hearing her thoughts. “The Grand Master decided to change venues. You’ll be conducting the interview here instead. The gardens have been cleared for the next few hours.”

“All right.”

Diana followed the youth throughout the flora and fauna abundant garden, passing under low hanging limbs and bypassing stone benches where small ponds were.

“Grand Master.” The youth called out, obviously spotting him.

Diana looked where the boy’s line of sight was and found Luke Skywalker, seated upon a bench, head bent with eyes closed.

Ben muttered, “Ah, shoot, look like he’s meditating.” He gestured to her. “Come with me, I’ll need to shake him out of it.” He made his way over to the older man and gently put his hand upon the other’s shoulder, shaking him lightly.

“Grand Master, your guest has arrived.” When he got no response, he shook his much harder. “Dad, Planetary Control to Dad.” This time Ben gave him a Force nudge. “Come in, Dad.”

Luke finally responded, opening his eyes up.

“Oh, Ben. When did you get here?”

Ben sighed in exasperation.

“I’ve been here; you’ve been too busy in a trance to notice.”

“Sorry, I was meditating.”

He scoffed. “Yeah, I know.” He hitched a thumb in Diana’s direction. “Your guest, Ms. Landon, is here.”

He followed his son’s line of sight. “Oh! Good.” He got up and went to greet her. “Ms. Landon, thank you for coming.”

“I was happy to Master Skywalker. I thank you for granting me this interviewing.”

“Think nothing of it.” He waved back toward where he’d been seated. “Please, have a seat—and welcome to the Jedi Temple.” He then turned back to Ben. “That will be all, Jedi Skywalker. You may return to your appointed duties.”

The youth bowed his head. “Yes, Grand Master, he uttered before leaving.

Diana sat down on a nearby bench across from his and dug into her satchel. Luke watched her bring out a datapad, as stylus and a recorder.

“Now, Grand Master. Do I have your permission to record our interview?”

“Of course.”

Diana nodded. “Good. Now I’ll start with my objective, after which I’ll ask you to acknowledge it.”She pressed the record button.
    “The point of this interview is to gain insight on the Jedi, but the purpose of the matter is why I wish to do so. You see my aim is for this to be beneficial to all.

We’re all aware that Caedus’ tyranny has caused the beings of this galaxy to become fearful and distrust the Jedi. I think it all centers on the people never truly knowing or understanding the Jedi to begin with. So for the peace of mind of the citizens, I want to show the galaxy who the Jedi are, thereby removing the threat of the Jedi as monsters they are now being seen. Do you acknowledge?”

“I do.”

“Marvelous. So, tell me, what exactly is the Force? Most beings relate the Force to a Jedi-attributed talent; that it is something Jedi have and are capable of obtaining marvelous feats with.

Luke smiled. “That’s quite simple, Ms. Landon. As Master Kenobi once said, ’It ’s energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together’ But, the Force is everywhere, Ms. Landon, and it gives life to us all, not just the few. But…if that doesn’t seem adequate, perhaps you should walk with me, and I’ll show you.”

Diana gave him an odd look.

Diana stared in awe at the sight before her.

“I’ve never been able to actually be up close.” She watched a few apprentices going through training exercises. “Though I’ll have to admit when you said, you’d show me, I thought I’d be receiving a demonstration from the Grand Master himself.”

“Sorry to disappoint you, Ms. Landon, but I fear such demonstration by the Grand Master alone wouldn’t have…really proved anything.”

“I suppose not.” She continued to look. “I see what you mean about the Force, though I don’t think to most people this would help.”

“Most likely not. Ms. Landon, to most people, seeing is believing. Though many people go through their lives seeing and still not believing. My brother-in-law didn’t put too much stock in the Force for a long time, it took him years of being around Leia and I and his children..and other Jedi, to come to believe. Even for me early on during my training, I far from believed everything the Force had to offer or could accomplish. So it’s not only non-Jedi who has hard time accepting the Force.”

“It’s hard not to believe when it’s staring you in the face, and I can’t fully say I understand it, but it does help me and this way I can help others to understand.” She eyed him curiously. “Though, I’d like to touch upon something you said earlier, about the Force being everywhere. If that’s so, why aren’t more people Force-sensitive?”

“That’s a good question. Even though the Force is everywhere, only a few have the aptitude for it…are chosen I guess you could say. It’s like a person having an aptitude for engineering, art, doctoring, or piloting. It’s just something that’s innate in you. “

“One of those which you also have.” Diana said playfully.

He shrugged his shoulder. “It’s a gift, like most other things. One that I will never take for granted---though it did take me awhile.”

Diana pointed out, “Though people do assume that if you have the Force, you must be a Jedi or something similar to it—and that usually adds to the stigmata.”

“Unfortunately that’s very true. Jed aren’t the only ones whom have the Force—though to most of citizens it is consider to be a Jedi-linked talent—and unfortunately some people end of being looked down upon because of that.”

“How do you deal with it?”

“The scorn? I just do.” Luke shrugged again. “I can’t affect how people look upon me, nor is it really my desire to try. My job is to protect those people.”

“What if they don’t want your help?”

“I will do, because that is my purpose in life. And because for a Jedi, there is not try.”

“That’s an interesting philosophy.”

“Thank you, it’s something I learned from Master Yoda” He took on a thoughtful look. “It’s worked well for me since then.”

A sudden shrill beeping sound emitted from his waist.

“Excuse me a second.” He pulled the commlink off his belt and walked off.

Diana watched him, taking note of the serious expression crossing his face. His blue eyes had gone dark, reflecting his current state. It was entirely fascinating to her, not only the Jedi ways themselves, but the Grand Master himself. He seemed to exude a myriad of emotions and personas. He was vastly clever without being arrogant, wise without seeming overwhelmingly so and very down to earth all at once.

She watched as he clicked off and headed back toward her.

“Is something wrong?” She asked as he approached her.

“Wrong, no,” He clipped the link back to his belt. “I’m just afraid we’ll have to cut this interview short for today, Ms. Landon. I’m sure you have a deadline, but perhaps we can continue at a later day, perhaps tomorrow?”

“That’s fine. I have until the end of this week.” She offered her hand, flashing a smile. “I’ll just say that so far it has been very fascinating.”

18. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    Great update

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It took me a bit to hammer out how I was going to do the interviewing but I finally figured it out.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hmm/ I wonder what happened to cut off the interview.

Ben was great in this.

“Dad, Planetary Control to Dad.” This time Ben gave him a Force nudge. “Come in, Dad.”

Luke finally responded, opening his eyes up.

“Oh, Ben. When did you get here?”

LOL. that is exactly how I would imagine Luke in his later years.

21. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks. It was fun. As for the comm....you'll see, I felt the interview should be done in stages.

Gemma likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Terrific =D= Luke has made a very favorable impression on diana, although I didn't doubt he would, with his "real" self. :* He is wise and down to earth at once :)

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    When I read this I immediately thought, "Luke has the Bad Date Rescue App on his comlink". lol! Nice update.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  24. SHADOW_MASTER_W

SHADOW_MASTER_W Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    I must say I am enjoying this story.

I'm very curious about what issues Diana's involvement might bring up or create.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  25. masterjeedaiansari

Oct 30, 2004