main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends After Her - Update 01/19/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmeraldJediFire, Jan 25, 2013.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful conversation and just-right-tone for it with Myra, Ben, and Luke. It's affectionate and teasing and caring between all of them. :) So, Myra likes chocolate. Yum. (If Luke gets Melinda chocolate, that means he's serious) [face_laugh] The aspect of missing Mara was perfect also, @};- just the right balance of wistfully missing without going over the top =D=

Gemma likes this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nicely written!

3. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks for reading and reviewing: Briannakin, Nyota's Heart, and Jedi_Lover. Not sure if giving chocolate is Luke's style at this point...cause giving a woman any type of give I think says a lot about how you feel, so let's let the chips fall where they may. I think you'll like this next chapter a lot, girls.

Chapter 26​
    *​
    They finished lunch an hour a half later; Luke paid for lunch and would have no argument from Ben to the contrary. The young man had just been about to reach for the bill.

“You paid last time; let me do this.”

Luke shared a knowing look. Ben considered his father.

“All right, just this once.” He relented and relinquished the bill, pressing it into the other's hand.

Myra watched this exchanged with curiosity.

“Did it ever occur to anyone I might want to pay.” She asked caustically.

The two men looked at her; headlight looks in their eyes.

“You’re right.” Ben ducked his head, looking slightly admonished. “Do you?”

“Not in particular.” She smirked. “But I would have liked to have been asked at least.”

Luke smiled. “Fair enough.”

He took out the desired credit chips and placed them on the small tray. The waiter then picked up picked up the tab. He bowed slightly and bid them a good afternoon. They got to their feet afterward, gathering their belongings, and proceeded to head for the front door.

“Sorry, Babe,” Ben apologized.

“You’re forgiven.” She took his hand then looked to the Jedi Master. “We do appreciate the gesture, Master Skywalker.”

“That’s what fathers are for.”

“In that case, wanna pay for dinner tonight?” Ben asked cheekily.

“Don’t push it.”

“Fair enough.” He mimicked. “This dinner will be on us then.” He gave his father am unyielding gaze.

Myra added, “Though my parents will insist on it.”

“You think so?” He asked interestedly.

They crossed over the front threshold and stood off to the side, yet still in front of the café.

“It’s a possibility.”

Luke drank in the moment; he’d forgotten what it was like to have a family like this. Although he knew Ben would one day have one of his own family. It was times like these when he yearned for his wife.

“Well," he said. “Whatever the outcome; I look forward to catching up with your parents, Myra.”

He’d only met Myra’s parents once or twice since they didn’t come to Coruscant all that often. They resided on Corellia for the most part and only came to the Core for special occasions.

“It has been awhile since they last visited.” She agreed. “I wish they would come around more. Frankly, I think they’re intimidated.”

Luke raised a brow.”Oh? They didn’t strike me as nervous.”

“My parents are consummate professionals. I think what scares them is what they don’t know about the Jedi. They only know what they’ve heard after all.”

Ben suggested, “Maybe, if you talked to them, Dad, it could ease their nervousness. What do you think?” He looked to Myra.

“Maybe,” She looked to Luke. “If you wouldn’t mind, Master Skywalker?”

“Not at all; I’m all for educating people upon the Jedi; that’s why I’m granting this interview to the Coruscant Times.”

“Ben told me. How’s that going?”

“Steadily. I had an interview tonight but I’ll probably have to reschedule.”

“Really?” She looked concerned. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“It’s all right, Myra, the dinner is important to you and I wouldn’t miss it.” She didn’t seem convinced. “I promise.”

“All right,” She checked her chrono. “Oh, look at the time!” She cried out, showing it to Ben. “We’re going to be late…it’s going to take us forever to get the spaceport from here.” She turned to leave. “We’ll see you tonight!” She called over her shoulder.

“See ya, Dad.” Ben was grinning widely.

He followed after his fiancée, keeping in step with her brisk pace.

Luke raised his hand, waving after them.

“See you tonight.”

He watched them disappear into the crowd before turning back toward the hovetram platform. He had to get to a comm station and inform Ms. Landon of the change in plans.
    Melinda Rotham was making an early supper when her door chime rang. She set down her stirring spoon, lowered the flame, and stepped away from the cooking top. She pushed through the door to the kitchen and headed for the front door. It chimed again.

“I’m coming.” She called out.

She answered it and outside stood her three children: Rurichi, Ria and Davey.

“You’re early.” She commented.

“I thought we’d help out with the cooking,” Rurich said, then leaned over and kiss his mother’s cheek.

Rurich, forty years old, was exceptionally tall; he took after her father, positively dwarfing her. His father had been a man of average height so having a tall son had slightly baffled her.

“Was this a unanimous idea?”

“Not entirely.” He said, looking to his sister. His hazel eyes had a touch of mischief in them, his lips curling slightly.

“I’m opposed to cooking you know that.” Ria said dismissively, kissed her mother—her long hair falling forward—and walked inside. She was thirty-five, a tad on the lighter side, but still curvy. She was of equal height to her mother so she didn’t have to bend over to kiss her like Rurich had.

“How you ever get by is beyond me.” Her older brother said, mock-exasperation in his voice.

“I do well for myself.” She sounded insulted.

“Do well?” Davey chimed in. “That’s code word for ‘I order take out’.”

“Or pre-prepared meals.” Rurich added.

Ria glared daggers at them with her brown eyes before making herself at home on one of her mother’s overstuffed couches. Davey was the last one to give his mother a kiss. He was the one that had taken after his father the most with bright blue eyes. He was around Charles’s height as well. And the youngest at thirty.

She sighed openly at their sibling banter.

“Just have a seat, it’s almost done anyway.” Melinda said.

“Are you sure, Mom?” Her youngest, Davey asked. “We can help.”

He was the only one that still called her mom. Rurich had gotten into calling her mother from an early age, and Ria had taken to calling her ‘mum’, her own rendition.

“Mother, I insist.” Rurich added.

Melinda considered this. He was an excellent cook; it was one of his many attributes—and it made him a prime catch as far as marriage was concerned.

“Oh, all right; if you insist.”

She looked to her three children: Ria relaxing on the couch, Davey was still lingering in the entrance hall, and Rurich was already heading for the kitchen. All three of her children had gotten her hair, a lovely shade of mahogany.

“Good,” Rurich announced and pushed his way into the kitchen

“Davey, please sit down.” She instructed.

She then followed her eldest into the kitchen.

“So, Mum,” Ria called out as soon as she was in the kitchen—the girl had a tendency of doing that. “When are we going to meet your gentleman caller?” She knew the girl was doing that deliberately; she had consistently told her children Luke was a friend.

“I’m not sure.” She said absently; taking up the spoon again.

“I’m sure he’s busy, “Davey interjected. “He’s Luke Skywalker.” Her youngest, although an adult, had been fairly impressed to learn his mother was acquainted with the Luke Skywalker.

Ria laughed, “You forgot to add, ‘he’s totally astral’.”

He shot his older sister a dirty look.

“When I think is appropriate.” Melinda amended quietly.

“Aren’t you meeting him tonight?” Rurich asked, closing the oven. He took off his mitts and placed them on the counter.

“Yes, I am.”

“Then…it’s getting serious?” His voice was somber.

She flushed and the room went silent.

“Honestly,” She stopped stirring and looked up into Rurich’s eyes. “I don’t know.”

Gemma and Nightvision91 like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great update. I like Melinda's kids.

5. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks; creating their personalities was fun for me.

(were there any typos that you saw btw)

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Melinda is lucky I'm not her kid. I probably be asking much more embarrassing questions. Nicely done!

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed continuing with Ben, Myra, and Luke. And Melinda with her kids--sound close and full of fun. But oh, my. Melinda's not sure about how to define their relationship, either. [face_thinking] I sense a deep conversation in the offing. :D

8. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Okay I couldn't wait until Sunday or even Saturday. Thanks for reviewing everyone: Briannakin, Jedi_Lover, and Nyota's Heart.​
    *​
    Chapter 27​
    *​

When Luke had gotten home, he’d commed Diana Landon and informed her of the situation. Luckily for him, she agreed to reschedule their interview for earlier that afternoon instead of that night. He then confirmed his rendezvous with Melinda for 2000.

Diana arrived at 1500 on the dot and the two of them took the turbolift up his chambers. This way they would have a better chance of completing the interview without being interrupted by ‘certain’ parties. Of course, he knew it would also up the chance of him being possibly corned like a womprat holed up in a canyon crevice, but he was willing to take that chance.

Luke keyed the access code to his chambers and stepped aside to let her in. She stepped through the door into the office, looking around. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of a doorway with a large wooden frame.

“I assume you live here.” She asked nonchalantly.

She’d never been here before and was surprised he would that he had suggested they conduct the interview in his office. She was positive she had scared him off with her behavior last night.

“I stay the night when the time calls for it.” He said evasively. He walked around and sat at his desk. “Now, shall we begin?”

She took a seat.

The man was straight to the point She thought. And incredibly clever.

If there was one thing Luke Skywalker certainly wasn’t; was a fool. That was one of the many reasons she found him so fascinating. He hadn’t become the man he had today without having that keen mind that he had. The man was intelligent and wise without seeming arrogant.

She found it was a very attractive quality in a man.

“I’m ready when you are, Master Skywalker.”
    They finished the interview within an hour; they had gone over the last points which she wanted to touch upon. They discussed his thoughts and feelings when reestablishing the Jedi. The process he’d gone through finding students; the errors made along the way.

It was a learning process, she supposed, like anything else. It showed he was human, not some untouchable being, that he made mistakes, had hopes and dreams, lows and highs.

It also showed her his unrelenting urge to strive for the best, his concern for the future; not only for the Jedi but the entire galaxy. Deciding to fulfill Master Yoda’s urging to ‘pass on what you have learned’ had been no easy task for him and it was one which he had never taken lightly.

“Will that be all?” he asked as the interview concluded. “Do you have any other questions?”

“No,” Diana turned off her recorder and put away her datapad. “I think I have all I need for the article.” She stood up. “Thank you for your time, Master Skywalker.”

He got up from his chair and walked around. “It was my pleasure; allow me to walk you out.”

“Thank you.”

Their ride down to the ground floor was silent and except for his offer to walk her out, he hadn’t said a thing more. They stepped off the lift and proceeded to walk through the grand hall to the front entrance.

“You don’t have to walk me all the way.”She said casually.

“It’s not a problem; I have time.”

Diana examined him curiously. “You’re very kind.”

“So I’ve been told.” She could hear the humor in his voice.

Halfway through the hall, she became aware that they were being watched by a group of young apprentices, or more specifically that the Grand Master was being watched. It wasn’t too odd she supposed but what was interesting was the gender of these apprentices: they were all female. Many of them were teens while some seemed on the cusp of adulthood. Most were humans but for one lone Twi’lek.

Like most Twi’leks this young apprentice was beautiful; she had white skin tone, her lekku lying over her shoulder, draped over her Jedi robes, while the other lay down her back. She was dress in traditional clothing with a bright red sash tied at her waist. The outfit was more form fitting that most of the apprentices clothing and the brown robe seemed to lie against her body rather than swamp it.

The girls were whispering among themselves as they passed them, suriptiously shooting him fleeting looks. The Twi’lek then broke off from the group and approached them dead on.

“Pardon me, Master Skywalker,” she said respectfully, the undertone of her voice silky and rich. “I was wondering if I might have a moment of your time. My classmates and I were debating something we’d learned in our lesson and wondered if you could give us your insight.”

He looked at Diana then back at the young apprentice.

“Of course,” he said warmly. “Let me walk, Ms. Landon outside and I’ll be sure to answer your query if I’m able.”

The apprentice bobbed her head and bowed out, but not before flicking her lekku; a clear sign of interest other than her studies. Interesting.

She heard and throat clear.

She looked to him.

“Shall we go?”

“Yes.”

He continued to walker her to the door.

She waited until they were out of ear shot before speaking. “You’re certainly admired, aren’t you?” She said conversationally. “It’s a wonder your girlfriend isn’t jealous.”

Luke did only what Diana would call a ‘double take’; his eyes seeming to grow large.

“I beg your pardon.”

He looked surprised but she was sure she had touched a nerve.

She had dismissed the woman earlier after she’d confirmed that Skywalker’s wife, Mara Jade Skywalker had been dead for ten years. In other words, the woman was not his wife. But seeing them together on the tram earlier that afternoon and at the café the first time had the wheels turning in her head.

It had definitely been hard to ignore

If there had been question why the Jedi Master had been acting squirrely since the last time they had spoke, she now knew it.

Her curiosity had peeked that afternoon. She had been a few cars down and had watched the Jedi and his lady friend get onto the tram. She had watched interestedly as he waited for the woman to get on first before entering himself. He had then taken a seat right next to her, sitting undeniably close together.

She had watched them talk quietly amongst themselves. They seemed to be focusing intently on their conversation, not paying attention to the world around them. He would make some sort of joke and she would laugh. He would smile at something she said. She even noticed Skywalker’s hand lying across the woman’s as they talked. She wasn’t sure he was doing it consciously or not, but it couldn’t be ignored.

She knew from that moment there was something between them.

“She is your girlfriend isn’t she?” She inquired carefully.

Diana noticed a flush creep to his cheeks.

“That’s a rather personal question, Ms. Landon.”

She felt an almost icy chill in the air.

“My relationships that I have are of no concern to anyone: most importantly the press.”

She almost took a step back.

This was a man she had not met yet.

“You’re right; I was out of line. I didn’t mean anything by it.” She paused, considering whether to admit her brief fascination with him. No, that would only do harm. “I would never sink so low I assure you; I don’t peddle sludge. I asked out of my own curiosity nothing more.”

She paused.

“I couldn’t help but notice how happy you looked is all; I’ve heard that happiness has eluded you for awhile with your wife’s untimely death.” She turned toward the entrance. “I sincerely, wish you the best. And thank you for your time, Grand Master; the article should be out next week.” She bowed her head slightly.

As she spoke, he felt her sincerity in the Force, and most importantly felt a soft caress seemed to brush up against his Force aura. He watched Landon turn and walk away

He blinked several times when he came to the realization: Diana Landon was Force-sensitive.
    Luke returned to his room to get ready for the dinner with Myra and Ben. He knew exactly what Myra’s announcement had been; of course he hadn’t wanted to spoil the moment so he had kept quiet. That wasn’t exactly the main thing on his mind as much as it should have been. Oh, he was happy for them both, but he couldn’t dismiss what had happened earlier. It reverberated in his skull rather persistently.

The knowledge of Landon being Force-sensitive seemed to affect him more than he thought possible. He tried to banish it from his mind, but it simply returned to niggle at his conscious. It was so strange.

“Just let it go,” he muttered.

He knew he was placing much more emphasis on the event than he should. He pondered this for a moment. Perhaps it was because the feeling had only occurred the moment she had expressed her wishes to him about his and Melinda’s relationship. He started to think that maybe Corran had been on to something when he had warned him about her initially. He had started to accept that maybe he had misjudged her badly, but this turn of events had him weighing the significance of it after all.

Had her wishes been a cover for something else? Is that why the Force had revealed itself when it had? He didn’t know the answer, but he was going to find out.​

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I knew there was a reason I didn't like Diana!

10. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

You really think she's still trying to get to Luke don't you?

11. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    Luke still got it! He has two mature women interested and a bunch of young girls fantasizing about him. He's the man! ^:)^

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL The Twi'lek student /apprentice is crushing ;) Enjoyed reading Diana's observations of Melinda and Luke on the tram, apparently unobserved :) It's great to get a third-hand perspective :D Well! So Diana is force-sensitive. The plot gets more intricate =D=

Carlos Danger likes this.
  13. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks for reading Briannakin, Carlos Danger, Jedi_Lover, and Nyota's Heart.Luke will always be a hot commodity because there's nothing like a man in a leadership position that drives the young females gaga.

In this next chapter...Ben and Myra break the big news to their parents

Chapter 28​
    *​
    Ben looked at his wrist chrono. “He’s late,” he muttered.

“No, he’s not. We’re early.” His fiancée corrected him.

The hostess inquired if they were ready to be seated.

Myra turned to the woman, “Not yet, the last member of our party isn’t here.” She turned back to her fiancé. “Ben, take it easy.” She put a hand on his arm. “He’ll be here.”

She knew Ben was just anxious about the whole dinner; their announcement was weighing heavily on his mind. She looked sideways at her parents who had taken a seat in a pair of chairs. Her father, Blain was dressed up finely in Correlian formal wear—or what passed for it—while her mother, Lydia wore a stylish pant suit.

Just then Luke entered the restaurant.“

“I’m sorry I’m late.” He apologized.

“You’re on time, Master Skywalker,” Myra assured. “Ben just got antsy and had us arrive early.”

Luke turned to Myra’s parents. “It’s good to see you again, Mr. and Mrs. Zol.”

“It’s no problem,” Blain Zol dismissed gruffly. “You’re here aren’t you? And I believe I told you it’s Blain… Mr. Zol...”

“Was his father.” Lydia finished for him.

He turned to his wife with a sardonic stare.

“Very well,” Luke conceded. “Are we ready then?”

“Should be yeah.” Ben answered, approaching the hostess podium. “Zol party of five ready.”

The hostess, a Bothan, gathered up the menus and canted her head.

“This way please.”

Ben and Myra took the lead, locking arms.

The parents followed after them.

“So, Luke,” Blain said, voice warm. “Have any idea what this is about?”

He gave the Corellian a disarming smile. “Your guess is as good as mine.” He wouldn’t spoil this before Ben and Myra announced their news.

“Hm.” Blain frowned.

Lydia spoke up, “Myra was awfully cryptic when she urged us to come out. I tried to pry anything out of her, but when that girl doesn’t want to say anything she’s very tight-lipped.”

“Guess we’ll have to wait a bit longer.” Luke shrugged.

“I suppose so.”

They finally arrived at their table; it was in the far back of the restaurant. Ben had reserved a room for privacy. The young couple took their seats next to each, Myra’s parents sat down closet to their daughter while Luke took the last seat.”

The hostess dispensed menus all around and informed them their waiter would be there shortly.

“So, Myra, are you going to tell us why we’re here?” Her mother inquired.

“No yet, Mom.” Myra took a sip from the crystal glass filled with water.

Lydia looked perplexed and cast a look toward her spouse. Blain simply shrugged and exchanged a grin with Luke. Kids, it said.

She commented off the cuff, “They’re horrible aren’t they?” It was obvious she was addressing this at Luke.

“Aren’t most children?” He responded, eyes twinkling.

“You have a point there.”

A waiter arrived.

“May I take your drink order?” He asked.

“A bottle of your finest Alderaanian champagne.” Myra requested.

“Five glasses?”

“Yes,” She looked toward her parents.

The waiter followed her gaze.

“Anything else?”

“Do you have any cider?” Blain asked.

“Several.”

“Nubian?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“I’ll have a glass of that.”

He nodded then turned to Lydia, “And you, Ma’am.”

“Nothing yet.”

Luke waved him off when the waiter turned to him. Apparently figuring out she wasn’t getting anything out of her daughter, Lydia took a sip of her own water.

Blain broke the silence. “Well, whatever the reason these kids have brought us here for; I see this as a very good opportunity to reconnect. Lydia and I acknowledge we haven’t been around as much as we should. With our two kids ting, we’ve been pretty horrible about making an effort on our part…”

“That’s completely, all right,” Luke waved it off. “What matters is we can do something about it now. In fact, I’d like to invite you to visit the Academy while you’re here. I know you haven’t gotten to know that part of Ben or myself and I want you to feel at ease around us.”

Lydia blinked. “Do we really seem that way?” She looked to her husband. “I didn’t think we did.” She sounded concerned.

“It’s completely all right.” He repeated. You aren’t the first to hesitate. The Jedi haven’t done much to validate trust recently.

Ben spoke: “You know, my uncle Han didn’t believe in it at first. He thought it was a bunch of hokey religion. Of course, after being around my dad for awhile, he changed his mind little by little.”

“We know that’s not possible for everyone.” Luke continued. “That’s why I’m working on something that will help citizens gain perspective of us not only as Jedi but people as well.”

“That does sound interesting.” Lydia murmured.

Blain chewed his lip, contemplating this. “Sure, why not. I’m a compromising man.” He looked to his wife.

She nodded.

“Well,” He grinned widely. “Looks, like you’ve got yourself a bunch of tourists if you’ll have ‘em, Master Skywalker.”

“You and your wife are more than welcome any time, Blain.”

He slapped the table. “Great.”

The waiter arrived with a bottle of champagne. “I’m sorry for the wait,” he apologized. Another waiter set up the bucket and the glasses, while the first one uncorked the champagne.

“So, are we getting closer to you tellin’ us?” Her father asked.

“Yes, Dad. I wanted to wait until the champagne arrived.”

He raised an eyebrow. “That big of news.” He looked to his wife, she shrugged.

The waiter went around pouring each flute full. When he was finished, he told them he’d be back to take their orders, and dispersed.

Myra began, “Well, as you probably suspect, Ben and I have big news.” She paused, touch her fiancé’s hand, looking to him.

“We’re getting married.” Ben announced, pride in his voice.

“You’re what?” Lyrdia said, eyes getting big.

“That’s wonderful.” Luke said wearing a loving smile.

“Married, Mom.” Myra repeated.

“Oh,” Her mother got up from her seat and went to embrace her daughter. Myra accepted her mother’s hug. “My little girl…My little girl’s getting married.” There were tears in her eyes.

“Dad?” She turned toward her father. “Say something.”

Blain Zol finally recovered

“Sorry, I think my heart just stopped for a moment.” He laughed nervously then followed his wife’s lead and got up, kissing his daughter on the cheek. He leaned past her and extended his hand toward Ben. “Congrats, Son, you take care of my little girl.”

“Count on it, Sir.”

He held Ben’s hand in his grip. “I’m holding you to it.” There was a clear hint of a threat.

Ben just smiled in return, unafraid.

“Won’t let you down.”

Blain let go. “You’ve definitely got yourself a good one, Myra.”

“I know.”

Myra realized Ben’s father hadn’t said a thing. She turned to look at him; he was getting to his feet as if waiting patiently. He wore a serene yet content smile on his face.
    “Master Skywalker? You don't seem entirely surprised."

Ben saw this as a moment to come clean. “He knows already.”

“And I couldn’t be happier for you.”

Nightvision91 likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Very nice!

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    He! Very sweet.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  17. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    It was very sweet

18. Nightvision91

Nightvision91 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2013
    I think everyone has said it well a very sweet scene.

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Note: I decided that I wouldn't make you wait a week. you probably want to get to the Melinda and Luke part *smiles*. Thanks to everyone for reading and reviewing: Nyota's Heart, Jedi_Lover, Briannakin, newdawn12. And a special welcome to new reader/reviewer...Nightvision91.
    Chapter 29​
    *​
    “Well,” Blain said, lounging back and tugging at his belt. “I’m stuffed.

“Blain. Not here.” Lydia glared at him.

“Right.” He sat up. His wife continued to give him a look gesturing. Blain dug into his back pocket producing a credit pouch. “If you don’t mind, Skywalker, we’ll be paying for this meal.”

Luke had just finished dabbing his mouth with the cloth napkin.

“Not at all.”

“Master Skywalker graciously paid for lunch this afternoon.” Myra informed her father.

A waiter approached their table.

“Was everything satisfactory?” He asked.

Everyone nodded and murmured their assent.

“Will there be any dessert?”

“I couldn’t eat another bite.” Blain said with a chuckle.

“No thank you..” Myra murmured.

Her mother and Ben also respectfully declined. Luke remained silent.

“Very well,” he proceeded to put the check out.

“I’ll pay now.” Blain announced, looked the receipt over, then put down the creds. “There you go.”

The waiter nodded and disappeared.

“Well,” Luke said, looking to Lydia and Blain. “I hope you won’t take it personally, but I have previous engagement.” He got to his feet, placing the napkin on the table.

“Of course,” Lydia said, watching him rise.

Blain got up as well and held out a hand to Luke. “We’ll see you before we go?”

“Of course. As I said, I’d love to give you a tour around the Temple. Feel free to hit me up tomorrow.” He shook the man’s hand and nodded to Lydia. “Have a nice evening.” He bid then left the restaurant.
    “Are you sure you don’t want us to stay?” Ria asked. “It’s not time even.”

“No, you three scurry along. I have to get ready and I don’t want him feeling overwhelmed.”

Rurich sighed. “Mother, it almost feels like you don’t want us to meet him.”

"Oh, it’s not that, dear.” She touched his face. “I just don’t think it’s time yet.”

He looked at her, raising an eyebrow.

She shook her head. “Do not make mountains out of ant hills, Rurich.”

“That’s impossible, Mother, not when you look the way you do.” He smiled kindly. “You have a certain glow to you.”

Melinda touched her cheek.

“Do I?”She murmured, slightly taken aback. Her eldest looked upon her with kind eyes. “Oh, don’t look at me that way. It’s not like that. Now, go.” She flicked her hand dismissively.

Rurich knew when his mother was giving him the brush off, but he relented..if reluctantly.

Davey put down his empty glass. “Are you sure, Mom?” He sounded concerned.

She laughed. “What is this; an interrogation?”

“We only want you to be happy, Mum.” Ria corrected.

Melinda knew her children meant well. But when they looked at her in such a way, she seemed to fall completely to pieces. And it wasn’t like she hadn’t met and visited with Luke like this several times. Perhaps it was because recently, she’d felt a shift in their…relationship.

“I am.” She said gently, eyes brimming with love. “Trust me on this. Now go.”

She kissed each of her children and ushered them out the door.

She sighed heavily. Those children of hers, what was she going to do about them?

Melinda walked back to her bedroom and began to get ready. Her manner of dress was suitable in itself but she had had the urge to wear something a bit more casual. She walked into her closet and found the clothing her daughter had helped her choose earlier. She looked it over; it was a white silken blouse with a small bit of lacework at the cuffs and buttons of pearl. Her skirt was a light blue that reached her ankles.

She brought them out of the closet and laid them on the bed, looking them over once more.

“Something’s missing.” She murmured.

Melinda retreated back into her closet searching the shelves. “Where could I have put it?” She reached along the top shelf at the back. “It must be here somewhere...” She felt something and tugged at….causing an avalanche of items to fall to her feet.

“Oh dear,” she said, looking at the box holding flimsiplast images. “What a mess.” She bent down to pick them up. She was in the process of slipping one into the box when her hand stilled. She brushed her finger tips along it.

It was an image of a young man in a flight suit, a helmet tucked under his arm. He had a broad carefree smile on his face.

It was only an outline so there was no color.

She noticed an inscription on the bottom. Holo-disc: 1202.

Melinda knew she should have been getting ready, but she took the box out and carried it to her bed.
    The door chime sounded, signaling his arrival.

Melinda answered the door, smiling widely. “I’m glad you came.” She took his hand drawing him in. “Won’t you come in, I made a pie.”

“Pie?”

“Yes.” She looked at him. “Though I suppose you’re full from your dinner.”

He entered the living room. “Oh, no, I could eat a slice.”

She could feel his eyes roaming, taking in her outfit.

“Do you like it?” She asked coquettishly.

“What?”

Melinda had a glimmer in her eyes. “My outfit.”

Luke blushed slightly. “It’s lovely.”He complimented, lashes lowering for a moment.

He took a seat on her couch as he done before. He was watching her carefully.

“So, would you like the pie now or later?”

“Hmm, how about later? Sit with me for now.” He patted the sofa.

She gave him beautiful smile.

“If that’s what you wish.”

Melinda took time to arrange her skirt before sitting down beside him. They sat in comfortable silence for a moment before she turned to him.

“How did the dinner proceed?”

“Pretty good, we had dinner with her parents and they’ve even agreed to tour the Temple. Get to know the Jedi side of Ben and me. I figure since we’re going to be in-laws, it’s only natural.”

“That’s marvelous.”

She reached out to touch his hand.

“Yes, it leaves me a bit relieved. If I can get one citizen to understand us, then I’ll be closer to my goal. The newspaper article—it’ll be out next week—will help even more.”

She nodded. “When do you expect to hold the wedding?” She asked, returning to the previous topic.

“The kids want it in three weeks.”

“Three? Isn’t that soon?”

He laughed. “You don’t know my sister too well do you? If there’s one person that can pull it off, it’s Leia.” He looked aside suddenly, his eye catching something. “What’s that?”

She turned her head. He was referring to the box on the caf table—the same one she’d found earlier. “Oh, something I found.” She leaned over and picked it up, placing it in her lap. “I wanted to show it to you.” He looked on intrigued. “Do you remember when I said, I had a holo of a posterboy?”

“I do recall something like that.”

She removed the lid and took out the holo-disc popping it into a reader she had beside it. She pressed the button and held it aloft for Luke to see. An image sprang to life, it was the same as the flimsiplast image she’d found early. This one was, of course, in full color.

She watched him study the image in suspense.

The fighter pilot in question was wearing an orange flight suit, the helmet tucked under his arm as before. He was wearing the same smile with piercing blue eyes beneath a mop of blonde hair

A farmboy turned Rebel pilot.

“This is…” he let his words trail off.

“You.”

His mouth hung slightly open, astonished.

“Surprised?”
    *​

20. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    She was one of his groupies :)

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Now if that is not the darlingest thing, her having a holo of him, either from back in the day or even gotten more recently from an archive of famous Rebel heroes :) Melinda is smitten and Luke is such a pookie bear for being surprised. :* :*

22. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Well, I'm not sure I would call her that.

23. Nightvision91

Nightvision91 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2013
    haha enjoyed this one a great deal. Nice to see the parents get along. Also got a good chuckle at seeing Melinda was a fan of young hot shot pilot Luke.

24. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    If you think that was precious folks..let's say Luke is in for a another surprise.

Carlos Danger and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, I'm up for that! [face_mischief] :D [face_love] !!