main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends After Her - Update 01/19/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmeraldJediFire, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hehehe. So Melinda was a groupie :p

EmeraldJediFire likes this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ha! Groupie! Get in line behind me.

3. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Thank you to all who read and reviewed: newdawn12, Nyota's Heart. Nightvision91, Briannakin, and Jedi_Lover. Okay, maybe she is slightly a groupie lol I'm glad you're enjoying the mush, especially, Jade (sorry force of habit)

chapter 30​
    .​

He looked up at her in pure astonishment.

“Well,” She prompted when he didn’t speak. “Say something.”

Luke closed his mouth.

“I’m sorry,” He finally said. “I was just…shocked to see this.” He gestured. “May I?”

“Of course.” Melinda handed the holo over to him.

He took it in both his hands, turning it slightly as if the truth would be revealed by doing this. He eyed the holo.

“This was long ago.” He commented.

Melinda said. “I know.”

“Where did you get this?” A thought lit in his eyes visibly. “Did you get this…recently?”

She could see him going through the possible scenarios. It was true showing him something like this was completely out of the blue—and to be frank, she wouldn’t have blame him if he thought she had gotten an old-archived holo.

“I found it tucked away in the back of my closet.” She laid her fingertips on the projector. “I was looking for something else when like a complete klutz.” A dramatic sigh fell from her lips. “And a box fell and these spilled out on the floor...”

“I see.” He looked up, surprised. “Did you say ‘these’? There’s more?”

She chuckled at his reaction.

“Only one of you unfortunately, Dearie.” Melinda reached over to pat his hand. “No, what I was referring to was something else…when I began to look through the box again I found this.” She reached into the box once more and extracted another disc.

She swapped the discs out then pressed play.

---

An image sprung to life, a young woman with rich brown hair and matching eyes. She had a graceful, beautiful smile on her face, a slight blush to it.

Why was she showing this to him?

“We went to Coruscant, my family and I, in 5 ABY, for the celebration….”

“I remember that,” He murmured, placing his chin on his folded hands. “It commemorated anniversary of the Empire’s destruction.”

“Yes, I was twenty-two years old.” She looked aside, blushing. “My family had lived comfortably, unlike many other families. My father mostly tried to keep his head low, and not to do anything to catch the Empire’s eye—my mother hated it.” Melinda paused. “But I think he was relieved when the Empire had been finally sent scuttling—or so we thought.

“We went to Coruscant to celebrate. He said there would be a grand celebration with a parade. I think out of the three of us, I was the most thrilled to be going.” Another pause. “I remember it so fondly; it was right before the parade, my family had been mostly enjoying ourselves. I was standing in the Grand Plaza admiring the fountain when I lost the hat I was wearing it had been swept aside by the wind if you can believe it. I almost lost it, but it landed at the feet of a good Samaritan.

“His eyes were the clearest blue and my heart almost stopped. I admired you for years you know; I was...smitten.” She looked up into those eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me at the ball?” He asked.

She chuckled. “Truth be told, I’d forgotten until I found this.” She smiled. “You were so charming—though I doubt you knew it. And you had this kind aura around you. I doubt I need to tell you, you fulfilled all my girlish fantasies by appearing at the moment. I honestly thought I’d never be able to meet you. After all, when does an ordinary girl meet a hero of your caliber?”

Luke frowned. “I’m no hero, Melinda.”

“Or a man so humble,” She amended. “A man not burdened or influenced by victories or his own fame. I think that’s what made you more intriguing to me. You were…down to earth, unfettered. When you showed such kindness to be, I realized that you were more than the tabloids made you out to be.” She grinned. “And you were very dashing in black.”

“I think you’re the first person who’s actually told me that.”

“At the time I thought it made you quite…scintillating, but...” She touched his shirt. “Color suits you as well. Especially those that bring out your eyes.” Melinda touched her lips. “Oh dear, I must sound like a love struck school girl.”

Luke didn’t speak at first; Melinda’s brazen admissions had stopped his heart, surprised him. More so than Diana’s very similar ones had. He could sense the truth in Melinda’s words, could feel that subtle desire.

“Luke?”

He awakened from his stupor.

“I’m sorry, you shocked me—again.” He started to look nervous. “I…”

“It’s quite all right; I have unloaded quite a bit on you all at once.” She patted his hand. “My ego will hold.”

“No,” He shook his head, finally composing himself. “That’s not it, Melinda.”

“You don’t have to say anything.” She then shut off the projector, “Come,” She said, taking his hand.

He was gently pulled to his feet and she began to lead him away.

He stopped suddenly.

“Melinda,” She turned at his voice, looking him in the eyes. “Your admission….is not unwanted.” She started to speak, but he waved her protest off. “In fact, I’m very flattered.”

----

She went still, her mouth slightly agape.

Her heart thumped loudly and wildly in her chest and her eyes threatened to mist over. What was it that about his own declaration sent her heart pounding and her blood racing? Was it because it was so sincere?

It was sincere, she repeated silently. He could be nothing else than sincere and truthful. She saw that truth within his eyes and heard it in his voice. And her heart felt overwhelmed by it.

Overwhelmed because it awakened in her anew what she had been feeling for a while now.

When she spoke, the spark had ignited but barely, but when he gave his consent to feel how she was feeling, it spilled over.

Yes, she acknowledged, it had only been hidden beneath the surface.

“You dear sweet man.” She murmured at last, tears in her eyes.

Melinda took two steps forward and wrapped her arms around him. He tensed only for a moment—most likely out of surprise—before letting her sink against him.

After he held her for a bit longer, they separated. He looked over her with concern; her face was unreadable, not giving an iota of information away. He couldn’t read the emotion in her eyes—it simply wasn’t there—or feel them.

He simply didn’t know what she was thinking at the moment.

“Melinda...” Luke said softly. “Are you all right?”

A look fell over her face; troubled.

He frowned inwardly, confused.

Only moments ago, she’d thrown herself into his arms. He’d felt a torrent of emotions from her. Now….nothing. No, that was not entirely true. He could feel her confusion; her mind trying to sort out things.

He was at a loss what to do, so he said the only thing he could think. It was a generic enough line, but he thought it would do.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He asked.

“If only it were something that simple.” She murmured, clutching her hand to her chest. “Then it wouldn’t be this frightening…”

Luke responded softly, “It doesn’t have to be; we can work this out together.” He paused. “Let me help ease your fears.”

She sighed turning away and started toward the balcony.

He watched her leave, felt her retreating; her presence tightening into itself. She was withdrawing for some reason.

“Please tell me.” He urged—she didn’t respond, her back still to him. "Mara, wait...”

He realized what he said a second too late. He winced inwardly at his screw up.

She went still for a moment.

He cursed.

“I’m sorry.” He reflexively apologized. “I didn’t mean…”

Melinda turned back, her brown eyes swimming with subtle emotion.

“No, you did.” She corrected softly.

He opened his mouth to speak.

“You did,” She repeated. “But I do understand why you did; I know where your feelings lie.”

Luke looked at her askance.

“You loved Mara very deeply, and still do I suspect, as much as I love Charlie. Neither one of them will be fully banished from our hearts. I don’t expect either one of us would expect it to be otherwise.” She gave a sad smile. “I can see into your heart, Luke. It’s still wounded, because even though ten years have passed, it hasn’t been that long ago to you. I don’t begrudge you those feelings.”

She looked toward the window again.

“Yet, even though I know this, I can’t deny the tone in your voice after you called after me. Perhaps you were thinking of your wife—under normal circumstances a woman would feel threatened, but that doesn't matter to me.” A pause. “I’m no longer a girl playing those fickle games of love-me not. I’m not plagued by any uncertainties, because I know.

“Yes, you did speak her name, but you also let me say those foolish words and you didn’t dismiss me outright.” She stared at him with affection in her eyes. “You accepted me…and if I could feel anything for a man after my Charles, I’m glad you were the one.”

She then took two steps forward and laid a gentle kiss at the corner of his mouth.

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Emerald! Oh, Emerald! That wasn't exactly what I was expecting [face_laugh] -- but it was so off the chain good and in character. =D= =D= You are a superb! character-focused and plot-focused writer, and anyone who thinks or posts differently is a moron! [:D]

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    At least he didn't call her Mara while they were bootknocking. :p Nice update.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    NK, that would have been a deal breaker for sure. :rolleyes:

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Eek. Bad, but understandable slip on Luke's part. Great update.

8. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Great update :)

9. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Note: It’s been awhile, but here it is. We’re gonna make some monumental movements in this chapter. I am thrilled about it. Thanks to all who read and reviewed and for your patience: Jedi_Lover, Nyota's Heart, Briannakin, and newdawn12.
    Chapter 31
    .​
    Luke had his eyes closed for the briefest moment when their lips touched. He’d actually closed them! When Melinda pulled back, he opened them again, staring at her silently as she drew back.

“Well,” he said after a moment of speechlessness. “Where did that come from?”

“I’m not entirely sure myself.” She admitted. “But I have a feeling that’s been a long time coming…”

He looked at her uncertainly.

“That in my heart, I’ve wanted that.”

“Oh.”

“Luke..” she looked down for a bit. “I’m not going to claim this is easy for me, I love my husband very much even to this day, and its been a long time since someone has filled my

heart the way he did.” She paused, reaching out to touch his hand. “I have been in a word empty for years...until recently that is.”

He continued to stare, not sure what to say to this admission. It had a more profound effect than the one about her girlhood crush. He wet his lips, swallow and trying to process the current situation. Was Melinda saying what he thought she was? Could she possibly?

No, it couldn’t be.

But…

“Are you saying..?” he let the sentence trail off.

“Love.” she supplied, a resolute look in her eye.

He nodded silently.

“I’m not sure of that either.” She took her hand in his clasping it between her own. “But I care for you very deeply. Perhaps,” A shaky breath. “More than I should.” At his lost look, she uttered, “Please do not take that the wrong way.”

He wasn’t sure how he was to take it, but he felt as if a small piece inside of him seemed to crumble. He prepared himself for the inevitable. Inevitable of what? he questioned, bewildered. Why were her words so important to him? Why did they have this effect on him?

A voice suggested: :Perhaps, it’s because you care very deeply about her too.

Was that it?

Oh, Luke knew he felt very strongly about Melinda--perhaps even as strongly as she felt about him--but he hadn’t been sure until now. Even now, he wasn’t entirely sure the extent of his feelings or where this would lead.

Still, he admired her for being able to throw caution to the wind and take a chance, to admit how she felt even though she was unsure.

“Luke, please say something.” Melinda gently entreated.

He came out of his reverie and sighed heavily.

“I’m not sure what to say.” He responded simply.

She smiled sadly. “Understandable.”

He shook his head. “It’s not that...its just, I don’t know how to feel about any of this.” His eyes met hers. “I guess in a way, we’re in the same boat. Granted yours is less full of leaks than mine is, but still the same boat.” His brief attempt at levity drew a small smile to her face. His heart lightened as he watched a warm light enter her eyes.

“So we are.”

“So what are we going to do now?” Luke inquired, covering her hand.

Melinda cocked her head to the side in a quizzical manner.

“About us I mean.” He added quickly.

“That depends, Luke, do you want to go forward or stay as we are?” Her eyes softened. “I know what is in my heart, I have told you as much, but the decision is not mine alone, nor does it affect me alone. This...relationship is ours.” She paused. “Where do you want to take it?”

Luke closed his eyes as if meditating over the decision. He didn’t need the Force at this moment, but he still searched inside himself for the answer he desired; the truth of what he felt deeply in his heart.

What do I want? He questioned.

He listened; waiting for the answer that he knew lurked inside him.

A voice then came to him.

What do you want?

And the answer was suddenly all clear to him

I want this.

“What?” Melinda said, a question in her voice.

Luke’s eyes snapped open. He wasn’t aware he’d said it aloud.

“I want this.” He repeated with a firm voice.

She looked uncertain at first.

“Are you sure?” Her hand had now come to rest upon his arm.

He smiled warmly, the light reaching his eyes.

“Do you think I would truly say it unless I was certain, Melinda?”

She examined him, her brow wrinkling slightly.

“No, you wouldn’t.”

“Good.” He rubbed her palm with the pad of his thumb. “I’m not sure entirely if this is love either, I’m not sure about most things these
    days….but I am sure about this.” He drew a deep breath. “No one--woman--,” he corrected, “Has made my heart feel this way in a long time.When Mara died..” Why was he doing this with Melinda?

She urged gently, “Go on, I understand.”

He nodded, gulping. “When Mara died, I thought I’d never feel this way again. That I would go to my grave feeling like that.” he shook his head, tears now in his eyes. “But you’ve changed that…”

Melinda reached up and brushed aside his tears with her thumb. He stared up at her in wide-eyed surprise. She was so gentle that it nearly took his breath away. So different from his Mara, yet there was something so familiar too.

“You’re not alone,” she whispered. “Just let it out..”

As if called forth, he let his tears flow freely, these overwhelming emotions flowing through him; warring in his heart. He felt the soft caress, almost as if Mara was giving him silent reassurance.

He felt his knees go weak and the feeling he hadn’t felt in ten years swamp him. They were the feelings he had encountered upon learning of his wife’s death.

Once again, familiar yet entirely different.

“Oh..” Melinda yelped, trying to slow his descent as he slowly dropped to his knees.

She knelt down with him, her warms arms surrounding him comfortingly. She made shushing sounds in his ear. Her hand would stroke his back as his face was buried at her shoulder.

“It’s all right.” She whispered softly.

He could hear the tears that clouded her own voice even as she sought to assuage his slowly mending heart.

She was crying for him? Maybe.

Maybe, she was crying for herself as well. After all, he was not the only one between the two of them who had lost a spouse. Even though his wound was fresh, she had been bearing this heartache much longer than he had. He wrapped his arms around her body, his back straightening. He drew back.

“Forgive me.”

“There’s nothing to forgive, dear…”
    “I’m sor-..”

Melinda glared at him. “If you apologize one more time, I’ll haul off and slug you.”

That brought a smile to his face.

“You think I won’t.” She challenged.

Luke chuckled.

“No, you probably would.”

“Good.”

She then went about smooth out his tunic in a very wifely fashion, fussing over him. He smiled once more at this.

“What?”

“Nothing.” He said quickly, barely able to contain his smile.

She glanced at him as if she didn’t believe him. A frown found its way to her rose-colored mouth.

She leaned in to fix his collar and he could smell a faint fruity scent. It permeated her skin.

He blinked.

When was he starting to notice to the color of Melinda’s mouth. Or what her skin smelled like?

“Luke, are you listening?”

“Hmm.” His eyes focused on her mouth once more.

“I said, are you listening?” She pulled back, studying him.

“Huh.”

She sighed in exasperation.

“You weren’t listening.” A frown crossed her lips again. “I was saying, I think it’s time I introduced you to my children.”

“Your children?” He repeated dumbly.

“Yes, I have them you know.”

He mentally shook his head, urging him to come out of his stupor. He was very aware he must look and sound like a complete idiot.

“Sorry, I was just….lost for a moment. You were saying something about meeting your children?”

“Yes, I want you to meet them.” She fiddled with his tunic somewhat nervously. “I was hesitant before because I didn’t know where this was headed. But now I’m sure, I want them to know you...and you to know them.”

He nodded. “All right. When?”

“Soon.”

He smiled. “Sounds wonderful, but I was wondering..”

Her brow arched. “Yes?”

“How exactly are you going to introduce me?”

“You mean, am I going to say, ‘Darlings, this is Luke, my boyfriend.’?” Her voice had a hint of humor in it.

“Yes.”

Melinda shook her head, mahogany curls bouncing around.

“No, because I don’t think that’s the extent of who we are.” She drew a breath. “You are worth so much more to me than any inane title could dictate. Nothing would fit, nor do this relationship justice. It cannot be confined by it.”

“You’re right.” He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed the back of it. “Set it up, I’d love to meet them.”

“Good.”

Luke returned home, rejuvenated and having a firm sense of purpose. Everything was much clearer now. He was glad they had talked this over, glad she had been bold enough to admit how she felt. It drew them one step closer to navigating themselves around this perilous dance which had them stumbling over their own feet.

Finally. Clarity.

Although his heart would never burn the same way twice, it did shine in a different way. It was a good way. He had felt something strange tingle inside him, a door opening that he had long since shut. It had welcomed her fully in and had allowed himself to flow outward.

He arrived at the Temple, taking the lift upward to his chambers. He was thoroughly exhausted from the day and looking forward to some well-deserved shut-eye. He entered his apartment, flicked on the light, and cast a glance toward the extra bedroom. No light. Ben was still out.

He shrugged it off.

His son was no longer the teenager he had been several years ago. He was a young man.

He didn’t need his father around him twenty-four seven.

Flicking on the light to the living room, Luke looked to the holot of his wife.

Mara, he thought.

“Did you foresee this, love?”

He received no answer.

Then again, Mara had always had a way of speaking without saying anything at all. She could simply look at him and he knew. Even though he couldn’t see her, he still read her loud and clear.

He nodded.

“I get it.” He chuckled, smiling. “You always had everything figured out while I stood wracking my brain. You knew my heart best, didn’t you, Sweetheart?”

He turned and flicked off the light, retreating to his bedroom.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Very nicely written.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    That was beautiful. Real, gentle, open. =D= It was completely natural ... They feel right for each other. :) And, best of all, Melinda feels right for Luke. He truly deserves her. [face_love] !!!!

EmeraldJediFire likes this.
  12. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks, I was hoping it would come out that way. Thought it best to move it along. He can meet her kids then invite her to be his date for the wedding.

13. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    very nice

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Very well done and totally worth the wait!

15. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Nice

16. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Notes: Sorry for the long wait, thanks for those who have been patient and reviewed: Jedi_Lover, Briannakin, Nyota's Heart, ccp, and newdawn12. This will be an extra long post since I couldn't figure out where to cut it off and there's things I wanted to get accomplished in this post. So please enjoy it!

Chapter 32​
    .​
    Luke awoke the next morning, refreshed and feeling pleasantly light. He whistled happily as he went through his morning routine despite the chill in the air. When he had finished showering and brushing his teeth, he slipped on clean clothes and crossed over to the large window.

Activating the shutters, he let the sunlight stream into his cold bedroom. He stared out the window for a bit marveling at the beautiful morning and ready to greet a brand new day.

As he stared at the scenery outside his window, his concentration was broken by the sounding of his commstation in the living area. He turned toward the sound and exited his bedroom. His feet plodded lightly yet quickly across the room, a certain bounce entering them every third step. If someone were to question what had brought this good mood, he would have to say it was Melinda.

It was a relief to get those feelings off his chest, a thrill that they could communicate them on the level at which they had. He smiled. Yes, today was certainly looking brighter and brighter every time he thought back to last night.

Luke finally made it to the commstation and accepted the incoming message.

His sister appeared on the screen, smiling when she saw her twin. “Good morning, Luke.”

“Good morning, Leia, what do owe this morning call?” He inquired.

“I was calling to see how you were doing -and to invite you the breakfast with Han and I.” She paused as if waiting for his response, a familiar glint in her eye.

He laughed. “Doing well actually.”

“Well, something has you in a very good mood I see.”

“Yes.”

“Melinda?” She asked tentatively.

He simply smiled, the warmest light entering his crystal blue eyes.

“I knew it.”

Leia gave him one of her characteristics grins.

He chuckled at this.

“Yes, dear sister.”

“So…”

“Leia, lay off on the kid for now.” Han groused out of view. “I’m starving; you can grill him when we have breakfast.”

Leia mock pouted.

“Oh, all right,” She looked to her brother. “You will join us for breakfast?”

Seeing he wasn’t going to be able to wiggle his way out of it, Luke smiled.

“Of course. Ben’s not here and I could use a change of scenery instead of eating by myself.”

“Great, then we’ll see you in...Say fifteen minutes. We’ll meet you at the Temple.”

“See you then.” He made a move to cut the connection.

“Oh, Luke, one more thing…” Leia said suddenly.

His hand stilled.

"Yes?" He looked at her expectantly

“How did your final interview go?"

A sudden startled look overtook his face. He swore aloud.

"I never got to the interview,” His voice was laced with mortification. “I completely forgot about it after Melinda’s.” Frowning, he said, “Leia, I’ll have to let you go. I’ve got some explaining to do it seems.”

He ran a hand through his hair.

She smiled encouragingly: “All right, I’m sure she’ll understand

Leia cut the connection this time. He gazed at the darkened screen for a few seconds before punching in Diana’s commcode. The waiting was seemingly intolerable, but he knew it was merely an exaggeration of the current situation. He was connected moments later.

“Landon.” She answered, looking slightly harried.

“Ms. Landon, this is Master Skywalker,” He began. “I hope I didn't disturb you, but I’d like to apologize for missing the interview. Things came up, and it slipped my mind.”

“Was that last night?” She asked, looking perplexed.

Luke could see the humor in her eyes, hear it in her voice—that and the sarcasm.

“Touché.”

Diana’s lips twitched, obviously pleased with herself. “No, but seriously it’s no big deal. The night wasn't a total bust; I actually was able to pick up some good additional material for the article.”

“Really?”

“Mmmhmm. A Master Horn, though he seemed a little bit…hostile.”

Luke stifled a groan. He knew where Horn was coming from, even after his warning the other still felt the need to play nursemaid. It was a surprise Horn had said anything to the woman.

“I’m sorry about that.” He apologized. “He can get that way sometimes.” Not exactly a lie, Corran was naturally suspicious as far as Corelians went. His training with CorSec had honed his gut instincts and investigative nature. So it was no wonder when he didn’t relinquish his crushing hold on something he perceived as out of the ordinary.

”Yes, I could sense that.” Diana mused.

Sensed? Luke thought. That was definitely had odd word to use.

“After all, you are the Grand Master,” She continued. “So I understand his suspicions. He seems like a good friend.” Her tone had quickly changed to thoughtful.

A good friend? That certainly didn’t mesh with her “Grand Master” comment. He could feel something lurking within her tone. Maybe Corran was correct, maybe Diana was hiding something—but not what the Corellian suspected.

Perhaps…

Diana’s voice interrupted his thought just then.

“Look, Master Skywalker, I hate to cut this short, but I have to get back to work.” She paused, contemplating. “How about you stop in at the station? Say eleven-ish.”

“That sounds fine.” He began to get up. “I have to go anyway.”

“See you then, Master Skywalker.”

Her image winked out.

He stared at the screen, mulling over what had just transpired. As much as he had begged off, he still could not dismiss the events from his mind. He let out a heavy sigh.

Well, I guess I’ll figure out what’s going on after breakfast, he mused

Luke moved away from the commstation and proceeded to get ready to join his sister and brother-in-law.

Luke approached the café, spotting Han and Leia already seated at a small table on the patio. He raised his hand and called out: “Leia.”

His sister looked up and gave her brother a winning smile. He watched Han watch him out of the corner of his eye and could see the blatant smirk playing on his mouth. Something shifted as an uneasy feeling washed over him.

Here we go… He thought. ….into the rancor pit.

He weaved in between two tables before coming to stand at the one they were seated at. Leia rose from her chair to embrace her twin warmly. She was now smiling particularly mischievous.

“Okay, Leia, I get it.” He said good-naturedly.

She grinned. “Good,” Taking her brother’s hand, she urged him to sit.

Luke took his seat between Han and Leia.

“Have you ordered yet?” He asked them.

“Not yet.” Han grumbled.

He looked at his sister curiously.

Leia rolled her eyes. “Ignore Han. He’s just being surly because I wouldn’t let him order.”

“Can I now?”

His wife sent him a look.

“Go ahead, Han.” Luke chuckled. “I’m starving myself.”

Han called the waiter over and the three of them ordered breakfast. After they had finished ordering their food, Han leaned back in his chair.

“So, kid, what have you been up to beside the obvious?”

Luke raised an eyebrow in Han’s direction. It was obvious the man was trying to leave matters alone. Han wasn’t the prying type after all. If Leia chose to speak up, that would be her prerogative, but Han wasn’t going to get nosy about Luke’s love life.

He couldn’t help but feel at ease knowing this.

Wait. Love life? Was that what it was? He pondered this for a second. Yes, it did have the making of it, he admitted. He’d as much confessed his feelings to Melinda although he hadn’t used the L-word.

She didn’t either. A voice in his head reminded him.

There was that.

He should have been unsettled by this, but strangely he wasn't. Just knowing they shared those feelings was enough for him. An overwhelming warm feeling blossomed in his heart and spread over his body.

“That good huh?”

Luke blinked, startled. He stared at Han; he had one arm was draped across Leia’s petite shoulders and wore a devilish grin.

“Sorry.” He apologized, turning red. “I was just thinking about Melinda.”

A foolish smile crossed his face.

Leia smiled, seeing her brother’s eyes take on a certain luminosity.

“I’m happy for you, Brother.” Leia said simply. When Luke looked like he was going to speak, she shook her head. “I don’t need to ask about anything else, I have my answer.” Her eyes were shining now. Then she got up, crossed over, and embraced him.

“Thank you, Leia.” He murmured.

“For what?” She asked, pulling away after.

“For introducing me to her.”
    Leia looked into his eyes and saw the truth. Her brother had it bad for Melinda. The revelation startled and amazed her all at once. When she had first introduced her brother to the widow Rotham, she’d hoped that she would be a companion. Not romantic, but someone he could share moments with, someone he could be with and not feel left alone.

She hadn’t imagined this, but it wonderful none the less.

“I only want the best for you, dear brother.” She said at last.
    “So you were able to get in contact with Ms. Landon.” Leia inquired as they finished up breakfast.

“I was,” He sipped his juice. “I’m set to drop by the station after I leave here. I figured this last part won’t take that long. We should have been through two days ago but extenuating circumstances have interfered.”

Leia frowned.

“Nothing too serious I hope.”

“No, just Corran’s typical suspicions.”

Han and Leia exchanged glances.

Seeing this, he uttered, “Forget about it, it's nothing,” as he dismissively waved his hand.

More looks.

“Nuh-uh, kiddo,” Han shook his head. “You don’t get to get quiet on us. Something ain’t right, even I can see that. Something has got you wrinkling your brow.” He tapped his own. “Now what about Horn?”

Luke pursed his lips as if unsure where to begin. Han looked to his wife then back to his best friend.

“I don’t know…maybe I’m reading into things with her.”

“Her who? Melinda?”

He shook his head, arms folded across his chest.

Han looked at Leia once more. A light turned on in his head as to the she was….

“Diana Landon.” He guessed.

Luke nodded.

Leia remained silent, letting Han take over. She knew Luke would talk more if it was him.

“Horn’s suspicions; they’re about her I take it.”

“He got it into his head that she’s after me for alternative reasons.”

“Since when?”

“The beginning.” A sigh. “He ran a background check on her without me knowing.”

Han frowned.

They both knew the meaning behind such actions; if Corran Horn thought the matter was important enough to investigate the woman, than chances were it was serious.

“You think the interview is a front?”

“No,” He shook his head. “The interview is genuine, but recently I’ve felt that something is there.” He bit the inside of his cheek.

Leia spoke up: “Like the Force?”

“Yes and no. I didn’t feel it right away.” He trailed off and brought his eyes to meet theirs. “But recently I’ve been sensing things…after I talked to her this morning and the last meeting. Things have come into focus.” He hesitated for a moment. “It may be the only half the explanation.”

He stood up suddenly.

“Luke?” Leia got up after him.

“I’ve felt something from her, Leia; I thought it was superficial, but I think it’s more than that.”

Han followed his wife’s lead. Luke waved them off and sat back down.

“I feel a connection to her, but not the type Corran thinks...”

They took their seats once more.

“Not a sugar daddy you mean?” Han paused. “Maybe not that kind anyway.”

Luke looked up.

Not that kind anyway. Something clicked within his brain, and Luke had the other half of the puzzle.

“Another kind...” He whispered.

“Pardon?”

“It’s another kind.” He shook his head. “I can’t explain it now, but I’ll have my answers soon.”

Falcon and Nyota's Heart like this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It is nice to see Luke happy.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi, I enjoyed this very much. The conversation and the clues/musings Luke was following and pursuing. =D= Very well written. And I simply love the happiness ;) over Melinda. It's true neither of them said "love" yet, but it's right there, just about there. [face_dancing] (SQUEE!) Totally looking forward to the interview. @};-

Jedi_Lover and EmeraldJediFire like this.
  19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks! I was struggling how to write it but finally figured out the tone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Daawww! I like seeing farmboy happy.

21. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    dare I say is it too soon to ask for more?

22. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Perhaps lol but perhaps not. I'll decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Note: Okay, all, you've been waiting, here it is! Thanks for your reviews, I love seeing Luke happy too: Jedi_Lover, Nyota's Heart, Briannakin, and Falcon.

<<<<>>>>​
    Chapter 33​
    .​
    After Luke had left Han and Leia, he commed Diana right away.

“Ms. Landon, Luke Skywalker. I’m done with what I was doing, is it all right if I came over now.” He listened for a bit. “Great, it shouldn’t take me too long and we can wrap up this interview.”

Just when she was about to hang up, he interjected:

“Oh, and, Ms. Landon…” His voice trailed off as he considered his next words. “Nevermind, it can wait. I’ll see you there.”

Clicking off, he stared at his commlink for a moment. He shrugged and tucked back inside his pocket. It wouldn’t do him any good to put her on her guard before he’d had a chance to question her.

“Master Skywalker,” Diana welcomed him. “Thank you for coming down here, I really appreciate it. I’m in such a crunch at this moment.”

He smiled disarmingly. “It was no problem.”

He looked her over surreptitiously. If possible she looked even more harried than before; wisps of blonde hair were lying listlessly around her face and her eyes were almost bloodshot. It looked as if she hadn’t slept at all. In her right hand, she carried a cup of caf. Under her left arm, a clipboard was tucked.

She followed his gaze.

“Pay me no mind; we’ve got a big story that has the news room in a frenzy is all.” She made a motion with her right hand. “As you can see, I need a little pick me up.”

He frowned inwardly. “I hope I haven’t kept you from it then.”

“No, no, this was a sudden thing they sprung on us.” Diana gestured. “Come with me; I’ll find us a quiet place to hammer the rest of the interview out.”

He followed her throughout the building, winding in and out of hallways. A lesser man seeing her state would have lost the nerve to question her—and he nearly did—but he decided that he couldn’t let this be.

“Here we are...” She announced, pushing into an empty conference room. “Please make yourself comfortable.” She set her things down then went to close the door. Turning, she smiled—or attempted to. “Now,” she said. “Shall we get started?”

“Well, I think that about covers it up…” Diana said, putting away her clipboard. “I should be able to hammer this out by the end of today. My boss wants to go to press with the story tomorrow.”

“I’m sorry.”

She waved him off. “Don’t sweat it. I’ve had less time to punch out a story.”

“Still...I feel terrible for missing the appointment.”

Diana smirked. “ Terrible enough to consider taking me out

Luke tried not to look startled, but failed.

“I’m sorry, bad joke.” She laughed it off. “Really bad joke.”

It was a mirthless laugh.

“Ms. Landon.” He watched as she turned her head aside and started busying herself. “Are you alright? If I’ve said anything to offend you.”

“You haven’t.”

Diana sighed heavily. “It’s just that…” She shook her head and proceeded to stand. “No, forget it.” She plastered a smile on her face and held out her hand. “Thank you for your time. It’s been a pleasure meeting you, Master Skywalker.”

Upon second glance, it was obvious to Luke that the smile was forced. An uneasiness settled over him.

She gauged him quietly as if waiting for him to get the hint. He got to his feet slowly, eyes still watching her. As he began to walk to the door, he could feel a heavyweight lingering in the air. He could sense her unease and yearned to say something.

No, she had to bring this up herself. He would not force her to confront whatever she was dealing with.

“It's been a pleasure meeting you as well." He said instead.

She actually blushed.

“Thank you.”

Now, he knew there was something wrong. He pressed his lips thin and watched her with careful eyes. Just as she was about to hit the slap pad, she stopped suddenly with her hand hovering above it. She shifted from foot to foot, her back to him and her chin down as if contemplating her next move

Luke started to open his mouth, when she finally spoke up.

“Master Skywalker.” She murmured, eyes still downcast.

“Yes?”

“There is something I want to say.” Diana turned slowly turned around. Her eyes held a hint of sadness to them; slightly troubled. She hesitated for a moment. “First of all, I just want to say how sorry I am if ever I made you uncomfortable in my presence.” As he moved to speak, she raised her hand. “No, let me say this. For years, I’ve been going from one relationship to another, often without purpose, without a clue.. Until now.”

She had taken up position against the door. A wistful look crossed over her face and she smiled, plucking at the hem of her tunic. A nervous habit perhaps?

“For years, I’ve shared the company of men much older than I; all of those men were of very influential in society.” She smiled tightly. “No doubt that what has been said about me isn’t in the best light.” A shrug..”I’d always assumed my attraction to older men was the norm for me, so I never thought much of it”

“But you’ve been questioning yourself lately, haven’t you?” He finally asked.

She glanced at him quickly. “Yeah, I have.”

“I always thought I was looking for something intimate. It wasn’t about that kind of intimacy though--the kind you’d naturally think of involving men and women. I was never looking for a lover, I knew that. I didn’t need that.I just had to be with those men, but I couldn’t figure out why. Since meeting you, I’ve come to understand. You’re kind and gentle and decent. You’re loyal, and warm. Yet, you’re strong under all that. I can see it in your eyes, that quiet strength.”

She paused.

“All of which I’ve been lacking. Not with myself, but from another person.”

Inside his brain, a switch was flipped.

Another person, an older man…

She said, “You figured it out.” It wasn’t a question. “What I’ve been lacking was that warm comforting presence that only a man like that could give me.”

“He passed away when you were young.” He stated. “Your father.”

“He use to be such a loving man, then he changed. He became more violent as times went on. I was afraid of him.” A pause. “Then one night, I didn’t have to fear anymore. He drank himself to death. I never understood why or how he became the way he did. I had loved him, so I was sad that it had happened.

“I lost my good, kind father, and I suppose I was looking for someone to replace what I’d lost in him.” She shrugged and pushed away from the door. “You seemed to fit the bill perfectly.”

“Seemed?”

Diana walked forward, closing the distance between them.

“Yes, but it won’t help my problem will it.” A sad look entered her eyes. “I can’t recover what I’ve lost no matter how hard I try. There will only be one Dane Landon, and you can never be him no matter how much I want it.”

A slight shiver went through him. That look of resignation in her eyes chilled him to the core.

"Master Skywalker?”

“Yes.”

“I want to thank you.”

“I haven’t done anything.”

“Yes, you have.” She took two more steps and leaned in, placing a gentle kiss on his cheek. “For listening to my problems when you didn’t have to, and helping me finally come to realize what I’d been searching for all this time. And not breaking my hopes..thank you.” She pulled back and clutched her clipboard to her chest. “Well, I really should be going. The rest of that article won’t write itself.” She hit the slap pad and disappeared beyond the doorway.

Luke didn’t stop her this time He simply watched as she exited the room, her long blonde hair swaying.

“Luke?”

Luke blinked and turned around, locking eyes with his sister. She was standing by the threshold to the garden, hands clasped in front of her. His brow arched in question.

“Jedi Dorvald told me where to find you.” She explained. “She also said Diana Landon had left and nobody had heard from you.” Leia made her way carefully over to where he was standing and gently took hold of his right hand. She tilted her head questioningly. “Is everything okay?”

“Yes, everything’s fine.”

Luke could see the hesitation in her eyes. He knew what she wanted to ask, she wouldn’t though and he couldn’t tell her. It was not his business to tell.

“Everything’s fine.” He reassured once more. “Let’s just say, Ms. Landon and I came to an understanding.”

Leia nodded wordlessly.She gave his hand a squeeze before letting go and stepping back.

“Good.”

She paused, turning away as she proceeded to carefully examine him.

“Now…. when were you going to tell us about Ben’s engagement?”

Gemma likes this.
  24. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    nice chapter

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Great chapter!. I'm glad things ended with Diana without any drama. However, Luke is now in hot water with his sister!